What are reputation points and how do they work?

Have a problem with the forum? get support here!
Philo Hunter
Overlord
Overlord

Hoping this is the right place for this. As the subject header says, what are reputation points and how do they work?
Ezekiel
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

You can use the thumbs buttons you see on the top right of a post to upvote or downvote it. Each up you receive increases your reputation by +1, and each down decreases it by -1. The total is displayed under your avatar, and I guess it's a rough measure of your e-peen.

Basically a really childish activity grown-ups can indulge into, leading to arguments about who gave what rating and why.

Edit: I don't want to be the guy, but I did say this was going to happen if reputation points are added to the board. :laugh:
Last edited by Ezekiel 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Yep, reputation points are bullshit points that people who have reached college age and above should probably have grown out of needing.

And I'm probably going to lose a lot of reputation points for posting this. Woe is me!
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Ive actually liked having the rep system in place in story section as its a quick easy way for people to indicate they like a story or chapter you've written. The vid producers get to work with hot women and then see the money come in, the best a writer can hope for is perhaps a few two line comments and maybe a rep point .... I hope that if the rep point system gets amended then at least the story section gets some alternate feed back button instead.
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Not sure how doable this is, but it would be good to have a little comment attached to each reputation point. Let's say a minimum of 20 characters.

At the moment, it's too easy for someone to just :thumbsdown: everything a member says with no qualification.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Philo Hunter
Overlord
Overlord

How come I can see the thumbs up/down on this thread but not in any of the other threads I'm actively posting in now (in the dungeon story section and in the pictures section)?
Ezekiel
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

My guess is that the system isn't activated for some sections of the forum. You should be able to see thumbs buttons in the stories section, but I can't see them either in the dungeon.
ksire_99
Elder Member
Elder Member

I like the rep points just so I can let the poster know I appreciated their post. Especially if their post added content. Such as a story, pic, vid...

K
Philo Hunter
Overlord
Overlord

Ezekiel wrote:My guess is that the system isn't activated for some sections of the forum. You should be able to see thumbs buttons in the stories section, but I can't see them either in the dungeon.
Okay, that would explain why I didn't get how it works. It looks like all the sections of the forum I hang out in it's just not active in. Lame, but it is what it is.
admin

I am not sure that the reputation system will be sticking around, it seems some people like it and some don't. It's on my list of things to evaluate.
Philo Hunter
Overlord
Overlord

I think it's a nice way to say "thanks" for a good post, especially in the story and picture sections where people are contributing actual content. Although right now it doesn't seem to be active in those sections (at least the dungeon stories sub board).

Is it possible to take away the thumbs down aspect, making it just a positive thing?
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

admin wrote:I am not sure that the reputation system will be sticking around, it seems some people like it and some don't. It's on my list of things to evaluate.

You are only doing that cos I'm 'winning' ! 'Look at me Ma, top of the world' :weep: ;)

(Only joking I'm not really way better than MH) [I am really, but I don't wanna be thumbs downed]

Seriously I think its got a place in the stories section and its quite a nice way to thank someone for a link or pic. As long as no one takes it seriously or is overly negative for no reason does it really matter? Maybe keep it as a thanking mechanism but hide the leader board as its pretty irrelevant really.

But tell me before you do, so I can get a screenshot of me at the top...(then I can post 'so long suckers' knowing I can never be caught...)
:smart: :lol:
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Tallyho...you really should give me some thumbs up...I need em!!
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
admin wrote:I am not sure that the reputation system will be sticking around, it seems some people like it and some don't. It's on my list of things to evaluate.

You are only doing that cos I'm 'winning' ! 'Look at me Ma, top of the world' :weep: ;)

(Only joking I'm not really way better than MH) [I am really, but I don't wanna be thumbs downed]

Seriously I think its got a place in the stories section and its quite a nice way to thank someone for a link or pic. As long as no one takes it seriously or is overly negative for no reason does it really matter? Maybe keep it as a thanking mechanism but hide the leader board as its pretty irrelevant really.

But tell me before you do, so I can get a screenshot of me at the top...(then I can post 'so long suckers' knowing I can never be caught...)
:smart: :lol:
And guess who got you to 100 two days before you would have got there anyway!
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

batgirl1969 wrote:Tallyho...you really should give me some thumbs up...I need em!!
Must... resist... double... entendre.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

theScribbler wrote:And guess who got you to 100 two days before you would have got there anyway!
Errrr....was it Merv Griffin? I'm rubbish at guessing games. My second guess is Kim Kardashian, but thats a long shot...

:whistle:
Last edited by tallyho 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
batgirl1969 wrote:Tallyho...you really should give me some thumbs up...I need em!!
No sir...please..I must insist
ksire_99
Elder Member
Elder Member

batgirl1969 wrote:
Heroine Addict wrote:
I have heard he has fat fingers...just saying :evo:
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

ksire_99 wrote:
batgirl1969 wrote:
Heroine Addict wrote:
Hopefully!!
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

ksire_99 wrote:
batgirl1969 wrote:
Heroine Addict wrote:
I got a fat everything mate, except bank balance. :thumbup:

Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
ksire_99 wrote:
batgirl1969 wrote:
Heroine Addict wrote:
I got a fat everything mate, except bank balance. :thumbup:
OMG - how did we even get here from the the original post ?!?!?

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Abductorenmadrid wrote:
OMG - how did we even get here from the the original post ?!?!?
That mystery, mate, is better left unsolved.
:thumbup:

Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I think I'll just mentally put it down as " it's batgirl's fault " and walk away from this train wreck thread before someone sees me amongst the wreckage.

DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Abductorenmadrid wrote:I think I'll just mentally put it down as " it's batgirl's fault " and walk away from this train wreck thread before someone sees me amongst the wreckage.
Too late for that, AEM, you've been to the crime scene and there's DNA on your reputation now!
:smart:
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

DrDominator9 wrote:
Abductorenmadrid wrote:I think I'll just mentally put it down as " it's batgirl's fault " and walk away from this train wreck thread before someone sees me amongst the wreckage.
Too late for that, AEM, you've been to the crime scene and there's DNA on your reputation now!
Ewww !! Who DNA'd all over my reputation !?

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Wasn't me. Probably Batgirl1969 again.

Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Abductorenmadrid wrote:
DrDominator9 wrote:
You could say batgirl1969 has rubbed off on you.
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
Abductorenmadrid wrote:
DrDominator9 wrote:
And again, I ask you, how did we get from the OP to here?

batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Abductorenmadrid wrote:
Heroine Addict wrote:
Abductorenmadrid wrote:
DrDominator9 wrote:
And again, I ask you, how did we get from the OP to here?
Well...I have been known to rub off on people....
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

My dear Batgirl I wouldn't doubt that for a second ....

KnightsofGotham.com
Producer
Producer

I just went to give a comment a thumbs up and instead it registered it as a thumbs down. I clearly clicked on thumbs up. When i tried to take it back it said it couldn't. can someone explain how to retract a vote because i don't want this person thinking I disapprove. just the opposite in fact.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I think if you click on the reputation score box (green or red or coloured with a number in it showing the current score) it lists the contributions that have made that score up. Your name will be one of them and alongside that entry is a little dustbin symbol.
Click on that and it should remove it. But like the Large Hadron Collider there is a slim chance you might destroy the universe, but what the hell, give it a go. ;)
Last edited by tallyho 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Helpless
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

tallyho wrote: there is slim chance you might destroy the universe, but what the hell, give it a go. ;)
:smile: lol
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

It's when you can 'thumbs up' somebody's "thumbs up', that's when the problems start!

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Helpless wrote:
tallyho wrote: there is slim chance you might destroy the universe, but what the hell, give it a go. ;)
:smile: lol
Well, we are all still here, so I am hoping it worked for you KoG?

If not I can only suggest a pm to explain your faux pas to the person involved.

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Oh I thought the thumbs represent which end of the super heroine you wanted to stick them in.
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:Oh I thought the thumbs represent which end of the super heroine you wanted to stick them in.
This is why we can't have nice things ....