Golden Axe (Comedy Central)

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Just saw this article come up in my news feed.

https://www.cgmagonline.com/news/golden ... y-central/

Since I don't play video games, I've never heard of Golden Axe. But it looks like a fun mashup of sword & sorcery tropes like Conan & He-Man,
and what drew my eye was the sexy form of Tyris Flare, a warrior and sorceress who looks a bit like Red Sonja.

This is coming out as a 10-episode animated series on Comedy Central, so maybe there's less chance that the current puritans of entertainment will try to cover Tyris Flare up or turn her manly like they did to Teela, because her skimpy outfit would make good 'comedy'. Hopefully that's a win. They don't have a release date for it yet, so I didn't put the year in the thread title yet.

Apparently, Golden Axe existed briefly in the UK-based comics of Sonic The Hedgehog (another Sega property) and also in a universe crossover of Sega and Capcom characters with Archie Comics.

If anyone read those comics, it's probably a longshot, but it seems more likely that someone on here did play the video game.
If so, do you remember Tyris Flare fondly (did she get into some peril?) and are you looking forward to the animated version?
(Would have been even better in live-action!)

Here's an artist rendition of the characters from the original Golden Axe game box, and also a rare Tyris Flare action figure from the 90s. Wish I could plunk down the $120 for that.
golden-axe-animated-series-announced-by-comedy-central-2024-04-17_15-59-22_630364-1200x675.jpg
golden-axe-animated-series-announced-by-comedy-central-2024-04-17_15-59-22_630364-1200x675.jpg (509.75 KiB) Viewed 253 times
tyris flare.jpg
tyris flare.jpg (69.51 KiB) Viewed 253 times
And....Tyris Flare is already tied up with rope within the first few pages of Sonic the Comic Issue 1, so that's a good sign.
(Golden Axe stories run in issues 1-6 and 13-18)
tyris tied up sonic issue 1.jpg
tyris tied up sonic issue 1.jpg (41.75 KiB) Viewed 249 times
Last edited by shevek 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
1 week ago
Just saw this article come up in my news feed.

https://www.cgmagonline.com/news/golden ... y-central/

Since I don't play video games, I've never heard of Golden Axe. But it looks like a fun mashup of sword & sorcery tropes like Conan & He-Man,
and what drew my eye was the sexy form of Tyris Flare, a warrior and sorceress who looks a bit like Red Sonja.

This is coming out as a 10-episode animated series on Comedy Central, so maybe there's less chance that the current puritans of entertainment will try to cover Tyris Flare up or turn her manly like they did to Teela, because her skimpy outfit would make good 'comedy'. Hopefully that's a win. They don't have a release date for it yet, so I didn't put the year in the thread title yet.

Apparently, Golden Axe existed briefly in the UK-based comics of Sonic The Hedgehog (another Sega property) and also in a universe crossover of Sega and Capcom characters with Archie Comics.

If anyone read those comics, it's probably a longshot, but it seems more likely that someone on here did play the video game.
If so, do you remember Tyris Flare fondly (did she get into some peril?) and are you looking forward to the animated version?
(Would have been even better in live-action!)

Here's an artist rendition of the characters from the original Golden Axe game box, and also a rare Tyris Flare action figure from the 90s. Wish I could plunk down the $120 for that.

golden-axe-animated-series-announced-by-comedy-central-2024-04-17_15-59-22_630364-1200x675.jpg

tyris flare.jpg

And....Tyris Flare is already tied up with rope within the first few pages of Sonic the Comic Issue 1, so that's a good sign.
(Golden Axe stories run in issues 1-6 and 13-18)

tyris tied up sonic issue 1.jpg
Golden Axe going to the actual video arcade days, where they would get us suckers to pour quarters in to get to the actual end of game
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Not sure if Golden Axe videogame predates Thundarr the Barbarian cartoon or viceversa, I would have liked a Thundarr remake more... but anyway I'm looking forward to this.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Golden Axe is as classic as classic comes.

But they've already updated Tyris in recent years with Golden Axe: Beast Rider... which was a terrible game that ditched all the other Golden Axe chars to focus on Tyris.

I don't think she looks BAD in Beast Rider by any stretch... she's probably got even more of the ol' 'Conan' vibe they were going for........... but idk, I feel like something was lost from the oldschool anyhow.
shevek
Producer
Producer

helstar wrote:
1 week ago
Not sure if Golden Axe videogame predates Thundarr the Barbarian cartoon or viceversa, I would have liked a Thundarr remake more... but anyway I'm looking forward to this.
Thundarr came first by a few years. You would think that with the involvement in Thundarr of Alex Toth, Jack Kirby, Steve Gerber, Buzz Dixon, Roy Thomas and Mark Evanier, there would be a lot of interest in reviving this franchise for a new cartoon or a comic series from Dynamite or Boom!, etc. But there's NEVER been a comic book of Thundarr. Just a couple of coloring books published in the early 80s.

Anyway, yeah, I just don't remember Golden Axe from my video arcade days. I didn't play sword-and-sorcery games - mostly stuff like Joust, Centipede, Zaxxon, Vanguard and Galaga. Like you, I'm looking forward to seeing what this is about and whether Tyris stays as hot as she has been. The Beast Rider game Femina mentioned came out in 2008 in the pre-woke era, so she was still allowed to be sexy at the time.