Monday Morning Outage

Info regarding this website!
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey all,

There will be a Monday morning outage as I update the core files. Nothing big. Just some updates and security patches.

There are some additions coming as well.

The reputation system will most likely be changed, I know some of you are getting used to it but unfortunately the developer who was working on it has abandoned the project for now and as the forum software continues to progress through updates, the reputation system code could wind up breaking the forum software down the road.

So, say goodbye to your reputation. :cry:
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Oh no! What's Tallyho going to do now? :lol:
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

So this means I lose my near God-like status?

Well at least the pressure is off from ruling over you lesser mortals. I don't think it worked properly anyway -
My laws and edicts constantly seemed to be ignored - I telepathically summoned Cali Logan to bring me a bacon sandwich wearing her Batsuit and she was a no-show. :sad: :weep: :no:

;)

I must say its nice to be warned in advance of an outage MH - in the past it almost always seemed to be retrospectively issued and we'd all panic as to why we couldn't get in. Now at least we know. I'll still forget and panic, but at least it will all be on me! :)

I hope this pre-emptive strike is a policy that is going to continue in the future
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

One thing I was going to suggest (genuinely!) with regards the rep system was if the thumbs up or down could remain (as in if a post had been liked historically) but the running total be reset periodically ? Every month or three months or year, whatever. As any newbies haven't got a hope in hell of over taking the older hands so they would probably get sick of seeing the same names at the bottom. (I was and I was one of them!)

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
KnightsofGotham.com
Producer
Producer

MightyHypnotic @hyponlinemedia wrote:
So, say goodbye to your reputation. :cry:
Depending on who you ask they will tell you we have a horrible reputation already!
:yahoo: :yahoo: :lol: :lol:

But seriously its not a big deal. I haven't a clue what my reputation is or where I am compared to other people and I really wouldn't want to go searching anyway. lol

I would much rather have the board functioning well than have a minor perk ruin the whole thing.

so...drop that axe!
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

KnightsofGotham.com wrote:
But seriously its not a big deal. I haven't a clue what my reputation is or where I am compared to other people and I really wouldn't want to go searching anyway. lol
Actually your reputation is posted right on the left of every post you do. Yours is 84. Quite respectable. Too bad it's dust as of Sunday. Ah well. You're right about not wanting something throwing kinks into the site's operation. Although this site is all about kinks, so who knows? I'm going to go take a nap now. :yawn:
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
flash
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Thanks for the heads up partner.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

"Reputation" is most likely going to be replaced with a "Like" posts plugin. I was never a big fan of accumulating likes based on user. As we know, in the social world, "likes" are associated with posts. I think the reputation idea comes from support forum world, where the user with the most helpful answers gains a rep...(Same goes for the bad techies) and also the gaming world where users like to troll each other all day, and we know that never happens here. :weirdo: :thumbup: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

DrDominator9 wrote:Ah well. You're right about not wanting something throwing kinks into the site's operation. Although this site is all about kinks, so who knows? I'm going to go take a nap now. :yawn:
Well, yes it is :) I didn't like the rep plugin at first but it grew on me a bit. But I often wonder if it's intimidating to someone who might be reluctant to speak their mind and get downvoted. Meh. who knows. Either way, its not being developed any longer and technically, it was never a release candidate so, it's going to have to go.

The way this forum is designed, all the plugins have to work with each other. Usually each plugin will have its own developer (I am working on one myself). When there is an update, we all have to make sure our plugins are playing nicely not only with the forum, but with each other.
There ARE coding standards but even those change from time to time. So the point being, a plugin needs to be consistently and actively developed. Much like how Wordpress operates.
mr_t.jpg
mr_t.jpg (24.43 KiB) Viewed 3302 times
Well, I can see Mr. T wants me to cut out all the jibber jabber. It's boring tech stuff no one really cares about. :)
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

tallyho wrote:One thing I was going to suggest (genuinely!) with regards the rep system was if the thumbs up or down could remain (as in if a post had been liked historically) but the running total be reset periodically ? Every month or three months or year, whatever. As any newbies haven't got a hope in hell of over taking the older hands so they would probably get sick of seeing the same names at the bottom. (I was and I was one of them!)

Regarding the reset, it's a good idea, but not sure if it's possible. When these plugin projects go dead it's usually because the developer drops out of contact.

However, sometimes these projects (plugins) come back from the dead and if it's something that you guys (girls) want to add back in then it could happen no problem. I can always leave the database table intact for the future.
KnightsofGotham.com
Producer
Producer

DrDominator9 wrote:
KnightsofGotham.com wrote:
Actually your reputation is posted right on the left of every post you do. Yours is 84. Quite respectable. Too bad it's dust as of Sunday. Ah well. You're right about not wanting something throwing kinks into the site's operation. Although this site is all about kinks, so who knows? I'm going to go take a nap now. :yawn:

Someone just directed me to the fact that way at the bottom of the front page there is a list of all the top reputations...I'm on it!
now I don't want it to go because I feel validated....

lol
no just kidding. I prefer to have the like button. Easy appreciation to the story writers without all the drama of people being down-vote fairies
(if you browse IMGUR you know what I'm talking about)

I think the like button idea is far better and Im in favor of it.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Will Tallyho, Avenger and I still have access to the Executive Lounge where we get free camshows from your models, MH?

Although the models may be relieved if that facility is removed. Some of Tallyho's demands are pretty grim.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

:D TallyHo I just realized you and I said the same thing more or less about newbie posters and I agree, I want to encourage them to post obviously (And I mean newbie in the nicest way possible!) :D :super:
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Heroine Addict wrote:Will Tallyho, Avenger and I still have access to the Executive Lounge where we get free camshows from your models, MH?

Although the models may be relieved if that facility is removed. Some of Tallyho's demands are pretty grim.

Executive lounge! My key just led to an old shed where a pensioner who smelled of wee pointed at me and laughed...

I thought it was MH himself....

Disciple
Stories Mod
Stories Mod

Long as the postcount meters are left alone, I'm not particularly inclined to give a crap.
viking
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I really don't care that much about the reputation feature, but I do appreciate you letting us know about changes in advance.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

There was a problem with the download page, so this update will most likely happen tomorrow morning, Tuesday.