Switching To The Dark Theme For Sunday

Info regarding this website!
admin

Hello all,

Tomorrow we will be switching to our dark theme for one day. The purpose of this is to get feedback on this theme. It's almost to where we want it, but not quite.

It's fully functional and you can check it out now if you wish -

by clicking your name and then the User control panel and from there Board Preferences and then choose Superheroine Forum Dark.

Just an FYI.
Blx
Elder Member
Elder Member

I like it. I'll have to play around with it for a while but if everything works as good as the previous one, I think I'll keep it. I prefer the darker look, a night mode is also better for my eyes.
admin

Great, looking forward to hearing your feedback.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The only (very petty and idiosyncratic) drawback is that the blue background always tells me instantly that I'm not logged in. I browsed the forum for a while today and didn't notice I wasn't logged in until I tried to post something.

On a more sane and rational level, however, the Dark Theme looks infinitely better than the standard blue. It gives the forum a uniform look with Hypnotic's World and the other sites. Making it look like part of the HypOnlineMedia empire, rather than something run from some guy's basement.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Ezekiel
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Black is really the only sane color option that one should ever have in life, in any circumstance. Plus that, to my knowledge, as far as sexual triggers go, black & red are the colors to which humans are most responsive.
thecatsuit
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

One other thing - the website logo in the top left doesn't take us back to the forum home when it's clicked on, it doesn't seem to do anything other than act as an image. Linking that up to the forum home would be handy.
Dave
Sargeant
Sargeant

I for one really like the dark theme better as well...
teotwawki
Neophyte Lvl 4
Neophyte Lvl 4

I like it
Helpless
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

Easy on the eyes, or in my case, the 1/2 of one eye that works...
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I'd vote for yellow text 'stead of orange. Other than that, seems fine

(Still would welcome some superheroine smilies/emoticons.)
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
ttb51m
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

im digging the new look
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Like it except the icons for the new posts are too light colored. Not distinguishable enough from the already read icon.
Sdrox99
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

Looks good!
admin

Mr. X wrote:Like it except the icons for the new posts are too light colored. Not distinguishable enough from the already read icon.

Ahh right, I'll work on that.
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I kind've hated it when we lost the old black theme and switched to the blue one. But now that I am used to the blue you switched back to black. It kinda hurts my eyes. Maybe I'm just not used to it. :-P
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

TIEnTEEZ wrote:I kind've hated it when we lost the old black theme and switched to the blue one. But now that I am used to the blue you switched back to black. It kinda hurts my eyes. Maybe I'm just not used to it. :-P

I think you're right in some parts. The older theme had more subtle color variations and it's just a matter of copying those color codes and applying them to this theme. Personally I think the white might be "Too" white but again that will change over time as this theme starts to settle in.

Im not a big fan of the drop down menus up top. I like the idea, but the execution looks a little primitive.

I will also fix that logo so that it does take you back to the home page.
scwank
Henchman
Henchman

Is it possible to make it user selectable in the control panel? My recollection from running a few phpBB forums in years past was that was a possibility. My eyes have a hard time with a black background for some reason as well.
frankzito
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Not a fan of the black at all for the message board, but if there's a user option to switch it so that I can see the old one, that would be fine if you want to keep the black theme as the main one
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The "like" and "dislike" buttons are now invisible.
Also, when you quote from a previous post, there used to be a box around the entire quote and now it just blends in. No big deal, but I kinda liked it better with the box. Made it easier to see. :)
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

TIEnTEEZ wrote:The "like" and "dislike" buttons are now invisible.
Also, when you quote from a previous post, there used to be a box around the entire quote and now it just blends in. No big deal, but I kinda liked it better with the box. Made it easier to see. :)
Oh true... didn't see that. But yes those boxes are invisible.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Also hoping the user option for selecting theme is restored sometime soon.

BTW the Submit button for doing a quick reply no longer looks like a button, just text.
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yup. I did something to the CSS file and we lost the background properties to those items. I am restoring access to the other theme and you can choose between the two.

Next week we'll have another go :)

MH
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

When looking at the Gallery, the gray text for dates and such below the images is hard to read against the white background. There is more contrast with this blue theme.
admin

Visitor wrote:When looking at the Gallery, the gray text for dates and such below the images is hard to read against the white background. There is more contrast with this blue theme.

Yes, the gallery needs to be styled. I may go with a completely different program for that one, I found a gallery mod that really kicks ass.
vnv7272
Sargeant
Sargeant

I like the blue and gray better. Contrasts are not as harsh with text colors and background.
admin

I've started altering some of the colors. Some I have copied from the old dark theme that we used to have.. So I am a little confused as to what could be causing the glare. Maybe it's the transition from the light to the dark?
saxman314
Henchman
Henchman

I do like the black much better. However, when I log in, I'm back to blue and grey!
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's because I turned off the override for the styles. You will have to go in manually and select it.

Click on your name up top, choose User Control Panel and Board Preferences. Then you can switch it! You want Superheroine Forum Dark.

MH
saxman314
Henchman
Henchman

Thanks!
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Folks, I want to make clear that the light theme will be going away, eventually. The sooner the better. It's hard enough for me to work and update one style, let alone 2.

The theme for this forum has always been dark. I know some of you have gotten used to the light theme but that was only temporary.

Please speak up and make suggestions to make the dark theme easier on your eyes if that is a problem.
viking
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Can you do something to make the tags a little easier on the eyes?
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Have you tried setting your monitor to BW to see how this scheme works? it might expose a few things that need touch ups.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

viking wrote:Can you do something to make the tags a little easier on the eyes?

Yes, tags are being changed, for the better. That color scheme is great for the light theme but horrible on the dark. I will get to it this weekend.

Also fixing some of the bright white text to a easier on the eyes greyish color.
admin

Mr. X wrote:Have you tried setting your monitor to BW to see how this scheme works? it might expose a few things that need touch ups.
I'll give that a shot.
flirty_but_nice
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

I prefer the dark theme, but it only shows when I am not signed in. After logging in, it switches to a white-ish theme. Would prefer the dark them when signed in.

Also, I notice the site is messed up on my iPad. Hope this soon gets fixed. :-)
xoxo
Jenn (aka Flirty)
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Hi Flirty (glad to see you in full in your avatar btw! Your husband /boyfriend is a lucky guy!) if you go into your UCP (User Control panel) at the top of the screen (the little drop down arrow by your user name when logged in ) and click on the Board Preferences tab option and then select the My Board Style and then user display dark option Superheroine forum DARK New (or something close) and then hit 'SUBMIT' button at the bottom that should put it as your default.

Can't help you with the I-pad thingamajigger that's way beyond my limited talents
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Messed up on my ipad as well.

Home Page looks like this on it (thread pages and forum pages look OK)
SHforum-on-ipad-landscape-121015.jpg
SHforum-on-ipad-landscape-121015.jpg (60.12 KiB) Viewed 6724 times
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for reminding me. I have to fix the Ipad version of the forum....

Thanks TallyHo for answering the theme question. I have been a little swamped here at the studio..

MH
flirty_but_nice
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Tallyho, thanks for the information (and your kind words - it's hubby, btw, not bf. :-) ).
I'll give your instructions a try! (Edit : Your instructions worked! Thanks a bunch!)

theScribbler, yup, that screen shot is exactly what I see as well on the iPad. Makes navigating extremely difficult.

MightyHypnotic, thanks for your acknowledgement and intention to fix things up, when you get a chance. Muchly appreciated. :)
xoxo
Jenn (aka Flirty)
AnastasiaPierce
Producer
Producer

OH I love the snow!
Lots of Love, Your Wonder Amazon
Anastasia

Super Heroine Clips:
http:www.AnastasiaClips.com

Movies VOD - http://www.HeroineCentral.com
Official Site - http://www.AnastasiaPierce.com
DVD Store - http://www.AnastasiaStore.com
flirty_but_nice
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

I'm not a huge fan of the snow, but I DO like breaking the Christmas lights!
xoxo
Jenn (aka Flirty)
admin

As per holiday regulations, lights stay up till Jan 1st! Smash away!

The snow is gone. Let there be light!
Caniac89
Sargeant
Sargeant

Noticing a problem when browsing the site on my phone, because of the lights I'm unable to select the login link.