Thumbs Up! Or Down

Info regarding this website!
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey everyone,

Just want to bring a new feature to your attention. You can now rate posts with a thumbs up or down. Just click on the thumb images in the upper right hand corner, (I'll be moving them to the lower left soon.)

I've been wanting a feature like this for some time now.

If you don't see it in certain forums, let me know and I will fix it.

If there are any issues, also let me know!
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

As of right now, it only works with the prosilver board style. So if you are using one of the other styles, you won't see the thumb images.
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I am using prosilver (the default) and I don't see thumbs. I do see a button with a "0" on it and the tooltip says "Rate post positive". But no thumb and no thumbs down.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I now see thumbs with the black background setting chaps, in the lounge (though not against the posts above?)
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Ezekiel
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Uh, from my experience on internet message boards, I'd say this is the feature for igniting forum drama. I think it's only a matter of time before "who gave whom what kind of thumbs" flamewars will arise because of it. Never underestimate how immature grown-ups can be in the on-line world :laugh:.
Void
Sargeant
Sargeant

I think the ability to rate comments negatively opens that up - but at the same time I don't see many people ever using it. It might even make people less inclined to flame if their comments can be negatively judged. All in all I'm loving the changes springing up around the site. Kudos to Hypnotic and Admin.
Lost in the night, and there is no morning.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I'm not sure I see the need for them either, but I appreciate it's a work in progress.
I'm guessing if things don't work out for some of the changes you will just remove/ change them again anyway.

It is coming together, and most of the changes I either like or don't mind.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Disciple
Stories Mod
Stories Mod

I'll cast my wager in the "90% of posters will be too lazy to use this feature, and most won't even notice it" pile. :smile:
viking
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I feel that it is unnecessary.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The thumbs up and down on specific posts is fine, but the reputation accumulation of them isn't. Just one guys opinion.

What's the point of the reputation part anyway?
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The thumbs up n down is quite a regular feature in forums, it's a nice way just to acknowledge a post, especially if there has been some effort to make it, eg research, image grabbing or whatever.

Just as a writer I'd would be cool to have an easy 'click here to rate this story' type module just where you put THE END, so people can at least give some insta feedback (1-5?) with a click rather than having to create a post to give an opinion. It was cool watching my score distribution graph evolve on BDSM library but here I've not got a clue how a story is going down with readers.

AEM
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

As said above, I find it a useful way to acknowledge comments in the story section and when something humourous is posted, and a negative rating is a way of disagreeing something without getting into a slanging match about it, so I don't mind the thumbs. They just are what they are.

That said, I'm a bit embarrassed by the reputation part though... I mean am I really better liked than Christina Carter, Wonder Kenna, Anastasia, Cali Logan etc? Don't think so somehow lol! :whistle: :thumbup:
So unless I can trade them in for air miles or something, I wouldn't miss the reputation points going. :)
Last edited by tallyho 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Right, the thumbs up or down is a fine feature, I said that too.

It's the using the accumuted numbers of thumbs up and down to determine some sort of "reputation" that I find odd, or silly, or not meaningful, or not necessary to keep track of, or am I missing the importance of it? Personally, I would like to opt out, I don't need to see this reputation number for myself or anyone else.

Plus I feel bad for WOW-girl, and anyone else with -15 or there abouts "reputations."

Maybe there could be a "prosilver no reps" board style.
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah I agree with that. Im not a fan of the reputation thing. I think it means more to the gaming crowd who are typically younger and put some weight on that type of thing. There is a LIKE button for posts that I will install and take away the rep. It doesn't really have a place here on this board.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

If anything, it's a deterrent to ever say anything controversial on the board. It stifles debate if people are worried about negative rep for any unpopular opinion they might express.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
KnightsofGotham.com
Producer
Producer

Personally I don't mind the rating thing, whats more concerning to me is the ability to easily see what sections have new threads or threads with new replies. the color is too similar at the moment.