Magpie

Have stories to share? Post them here! All writers welcome.
MuggsMcKinney
Neophyte
Neophyte

DISCLAIMER: Although the following story does indeed feature real people, locations, landmarks, and organizations, they are added only to add an element of realism. The events are completely fictious. Any similarity to actual events are completely coincidental.

CHAPTER ONE: SUNDAY, DECEMBER 27, 2014, 4:17 p.m., PST--Ocean Grove, CA:

The Met Life blimp soars over the skies of the city of Ocean Grove, circling The Magliano Colliseum, a football stadium that is home of the NFL's newest expansion franchise, The Los Angeles Leopards. The team and stadium are owned by Madison Magliano, CEO of Magliano Industries.

"And we we'd like to welcome those whom have just watched the Philadelphia Eagles clinch their second straight NFC East title with a win over the Washington Redskins." Joe Buck said as a graphic showing the final score of the game he is referring to as Philadephia 24, Washington 20, flashed on the TV screen. "Joe Buck here with you, alongside my broadcast partner Troy Aikman in the booth, and Pam Oliver down on the field." Buck continued as a graphic with his, Troy Aikman's, and Pam Oliver's headshots and names flashed on screen. "There are three seconds left in this game, and the Leopards are tied with the New York Giants at 34 apiece, with the momentum of this game having been decisively in favor of the Leopards in the last 3 minutes of this quarter as they have battled back with four touchdowns and 31 unanswered points. Troy, what would you think be the best way to describe what's turning out to be one of the wildest comebacks of the season?"

"Nothing short of remarkable, Joe," Aikman replied as a graphic the read '4th Quarter' flashed on screen setting up a series of highlights. "A muffed punt by the Giants with just 3:38 to go set up this recovery and return by Clyde Campbell for a touchdown. A two-point conversion made the score 34-11, Giants. Leopards recover the ensuing onside kick, and then Davis Howard, the Leopards running back from my alma mater UCLA, busts up the middle for a 49-yard touchdown run. Another two-point conversion made it 34-19, Giants. After another onside kick recovery by the Leopards, quarterback James Edwards to a wide-open Ahman Tate for a 50-yard catch and run results in touchdown number three for the Leopards. A third two-point conversion makes the score 34-27, Giants. The Leopards try to make lightning strike thrice, and do just that with a third straight onside kick recovery. The Leopard methodically move it up with field with a handful of runs by Campbell, capping off the drive with a Howard pump-fake, then pass to Tight End Andrew Foley from four yards out to make it 34-33, Giants. Coach Dennis Green decides to play it safe and go for the point after try to tie it up, which Otto Olsen delivers. Finally, moments ago, the Leopards recover a record fourth straight onside kick at the Giant 49-yard-line. Just before the Eagle-Radskin audience joined us, Edwards completed a 27-yard-pass to Tate, and Green called time out to discuss with the team whether or not they should take a knee and let the game go to overtime." Aikman explained as highlights displayed the action he described.

"And, it looks like they are going for it." Buck said as the cameras cut to the players lining up in field goal formation. "Just to remind everyone, with the win by Arizona earlier this afternoon, the Leopards were eliminated from playoff contention, but with a win here they will finish with an 8-8 record, the best ever posted by an NFL expansion franchise in its inaugural season. One would think given this festive atmosphere that the Leopards are about to win the Super Bowl instead of a regular season game, but this game holds a great significance for not just the team and the fans, but also for the Owner, Madison Magliano." Buck said the camera cut to the Leopard sideline and sees a young blonde wearing a baggy tan Leopards jersey and blue skinny jeans tightly clutching right of an Indian woman dressed in the same outfit she is standing to the right of her while Coach Green stands to her left with his arms folded. "At age 29, Madison is not only the league's youngest, but also its first openly bisexual owner. You see her holding hands there with her fiancee' Holly Persad. Two very lovely young women."

"Right you are, Joe." Aikman said. "Magliano's ownership, coupled with the Leopards improbable 6-game winning streak coming into this game, have made the team one of the league's feel-good stories of the year. With the Rams drafting of Michael Sam, the league's first gay player, this past May, it seems fitting that the LGBT community is also represented this year in the front office as well."

"It looks like the Giants have called their last time out, trying to ice Olsen. So, I just want to pass along a quick programming note. Following the conclusion of this game, we will head a few miles south back to the Fox Studios where Curt, Terry, Howie, Jimmy, and Micheal are waiting to bring you to speed on all of today's action on The OT, brought to you by the Ford's 2015 F-150. Built Ford Tough." Buck said as a tiny graphic for the show he mention flashed on the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

"Okay, it's looks like they're ready." Aikman said as the players got back in their stance. "There goes the snap, the kick is up, and..." Aikman stops in mid-sentence as the football sails through the uprights. "GOOD! The Los Angeles Leopards cap off a phenomenal season with a 7-game winning streak and a place in the NFL record books with if not the largest, certainly one the quickest 4th quarter comebacks." Aikman proclaimed as the Leopards fans and sideline errupted in cheers, and the camera cuts to Madison and Holly sharing a long, passionate kiss before getting doused from behind by Clyde Campbell and another player with a cooler full of Gatorade. "Thirty-four unanswered points in just over three and a half minutes! What a finish!" he shouted as the camera cuts to Coach Green shaking hands with Coach Tom Coughlin of the Giants before the two men parted toward their respective locker rooms when Pam Oliver approaches him. "Here's Pam Oliver with Coach Green. Pam?"

"Coach, this game punctuates a phenomenal return to the sidelines this year after a several-year absence. How are you feeling right now?" Oliver asked.

"Overjoyed, Pam." Coach Green answered. "Overjoyed. I couldn't have asked for a more dedicated group of guys. These kids dug in their heels when it mattered the most and turned around what could have been a disastrous year after the 1-8 start. What more can I say? We are who we thought they were!" He quipped, making a joke, referencing his famous rant during his forgettable tenure as the coach of the Arizona Cardinals and both he and Pam laugh as the camera cuts to midfield where Madison and Holly join Giants and Leopards players on one knee in prayer. "In all seriousness, I'm proud of the players, and I'm forever grateful to Madison for giving me a chance to don the headphones one last time, but this is it for me. I will not be back next season, and have already turned in my resignation before the start of today's game. I'll explain more in the postgame press conference. Excuse me." Coach Green added as the cameras cut back to him and Pam before he left for the locker room.

"There you have it, a breaking exclusive. Dennis Green has resigned as coach of the Leopards. Back to you, Troy and Joe." Oliver said.

MEANWHILE, IN A SECLUDED PENTHOUSE APARTMENT OVERLOOKING OCEAN GROVE...

A solitary figure in a navy pinstripe suit sits in a leather recliner, watching the football game with great interest on his 60-inch plasma screen TV as he sips a glass of brandy. He watches the postgame celebration, and grinds his teeth, snarling like a famished pitbull. As he watches Madison and Holly share their kiss, he grips the glass tighter and tighter until it breaks apart in his cluthes.

"That two-timing bitch! I fucking warned her!" He roars as the ice, liquor and glass shards drop on the arm of the chair and the carpet. He then picks up his smartphone, dials and waits.

"Oi!" A man with gravelly cockney voice answers.

"Yeah, are you watching FOX right now?"

"Yeah."

"Did you just see who I just saw?"

"Hell yeah. Do you want me and Morris to waste her?"

"No, not yet. I'll tell you when. Keep this line open."

"Roight." the man on the other end replied, and the suited gentleman hung up the phone.

WHO IS THIS WELL-DRESSED MAN? THE ANSWER COMES IN CHAPTER TWO....
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I totally love the detail on this opening scene and can hear the broadcast atmosphere of the game in my head as I'm reading, a promising start.
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

As a lifelong Giants fan, I have to say this story sucks!!! And four on-side kickoffs recovered in a row? Get real. I like my stories to be believable at some point!!! :yucky:

But seriously, if the rest of the story contains this level of detail, it should be freakin' amazing! Looking forward to more. :thumbup:
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
MuggsMcKinney
Neophyte
Neophyte

DrDominator9 wrote:As a lifelong Giants fan, I have to say this story sucks!!! And four on-side kickoffs recovered in a row? Get real. I like my stories to be believable at some point!!! :yucky:

But seriously, if the rest of the story contains this level of detail, it should be freakin' amazing! Looking forward to more. :thumbup:
DrDominator, I do kind of agree that's four straight on-side recoveries has a billion-to-one shot of ever happening. But relax, it's a Superhero story. It's supposed to be rife with implausible action. Good point, though. A little behind-the-scenes note for you: I debated for months on how big of a deficit I wanted them to overcome, and how they do it. I originally had Eli fumbling a bad snap inside the 15 while up 24-3, leading to a field goal, and then Eli throwing two straight Pick-6's, and then the Leopards recovering the on-side, but that would've made even less sense because it would seem stupid on Eli's part to force passes when the G-Men are still up by three scores with two minutes and change left. Eli's no dummy, he'd only have to hand it off a couple times and then milk the clock to seal the W. Even though I'm a long-suffering Raider fan, I have nothing against the Giants, just Eli! Him, Peyton and Poppa Archie give me the douche chills. :yucky: I'm not too fond of Tom Coughlin, either. He just rubs me the wrong way. Even in his Jacksonville days, I couldn't stand him. :laugh:

But seriously, I'm glad you like it so far. I've been busy with other projects lately, but I hope to get Chapter 2 up real soon.
tmon
Elder Member
Elder Member

Interesting!! I assume the villain helped the upset happen?