TALES of SUPERGIRL : OF GODS and MONSTERS

Have stories to share? Post them here! All writers welcome.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Hi all.
After writing a Tales of Supergirl short story when I was ill a while back, (Goodbye MR A)
I decided that I would write a couple more short stories (including that first one) that, whilst being stand alone tales, all contributed to a wider story arc and a proper full length SG story that I’m slowly piecing together. This is one of those contributing stories but it is a pure bit of whimsy on my part and needs a bit of an explanation. As a kid I loved Judge Dredd in 2000AD, and in one episode of the Judge Child Quest there was a great little one off episode where JD landed on a primitive planet, with Neanderthal-like tribes. The story was from their viewpoint and 30 years later I can still remember it. So I thought I’d re-create the feel of that story but with our favourite lass. I accept it won’t be to everyone’s liking, it is just a bit of fun, but it will play a minor role in the bigger story coming up in a few months. Whilst it’s written for my own amusement, I hope others do like it. On the plus side, its one episode and it’s a short one at that, so hopefully it won’t be too onerous to read! Whatever your thoughts please let me know!

The previous short stories, should you wish to read them in order, are :-
TOSG: Faking It.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23625
TOSG: Goodbye Mr A.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21880
TOSG : Of Gods and Monsters - This Story!

TOSG : Cornucopia
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24565
TOSG : Aftermath
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25155

Supergirl-Helen-Slater-44.jpg
Supergirl-Helen-Slater-44.jpg (77.34 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
TOSG : Of Gods And Monsters.

On a distant planet, a primitive tribe of Sleegs gathered at the mouth of the communal cave at the end of a hard day, hunting Kleks. The wind was sharp, and they pulled the furs tighter around themselves as the night grew darker, crowding closer to the purple flames for warmth as they eagerly awaited the Telling. The Telling always followed the hunt feast. The fire light flickered off the cave walls and expectant faces as they wondered which it would be. The tale of the great battle with the Meeps, who had held this cave before the Sleeg? The Hunting of the RoKu? The tribal Elder would decide.

He emerged through the throng, his white fur Mabuluk cloak shining in the triple moonlight, the four hollow eye sockets staring out from the skull of the same creature atop his larger head. Way was made, and he sat in the position of honour his status deserved. He shook the Blekko Skull bone rattle that was his badge of office to summon the Teller. A hush fell over the gathered crowd as they settled down around the three fires as the Teller pushed through to stand in the centre, surrounded by the flames, his faces lit from below like a demon as he stood and rotated to face the audience in three directions, his two heads turning back and forth.

It would be the Tale of Lubbo, the Frightened Sleeg. They looked to the Elder in expectant silence who dipped his smaller head in consent. A cheer went up from the host. For the Tale of Lubbo had everything- love, monsters, miracles and above all, their God. It was something of a favourite. Everyone enjoyed the story.

The Bone Rattle called for silence and a hush came over the crowd as the Teller began his tale…

‘It was the darkest of dark nights,

When all three moons had hid their light,

When Lubbo, weakest of the Sleeg

Felt the fearsome need to breed.

The fair Jubblia was his desire,

The sight of her Doo-DAH set his bloods on fire.

But she had eyes for another Sleeg

He was tall, he was handsome- he was called ….Black Te’aqG!!!'

A chorus of “Ooooooooo’s” were uttered by the throng as the villain of the piece entered. The younger Sleegs hid behind their mothers.

'He rode a vicious Snegglo, a tooth necklace at his throat,

The golden fur of a Spuggle, he’d turned into a kind of coat.

His was the biggest club around and all female Sleegs did wonder

If what the old females said was true, and how big was he down under.

Now Lubbo was no braveheart, not like Te’aqG at all,

Frightened of his own shadow, and for a Sleeg, quite small.

But he loved the fair Jubblia, though she had her six eyes for Black Te’aqG

But a deed of valour might win her heart, if he could only succeed.

And so for Jubblia at first light, Lubbo hunted a Grey Melk to impress,

No female Sleeg would put out for that, but he went for it none the less.

High and low, and far and wide he pursued the thing he sought,

Then he cornered an elderly sick one, and to the death they fought.

It had no teeth and a broken horn; it barely had an eye;

It had only gone into the mountains to find a place to die.

He hit it hard, with his club! And its brains he did bash in!

It hadn’t offered much resistance, but hey, a win’s a win.

But then a shadow blocked his path! It was another Sleeg!

One intending to steal his prize! It was of course Black Te’aqG!'

The Sleegs booed, hissed and cowered fearfully, as they were supposed to.

'Lubbo was no match for him , as blows rained down thick and fast.

He thought of the fair Jubblia and thought that thought would be his last!

Beaten and stunned, he lay at Te’aqG’s feet, all resistance broken,

Bleeding, he stared at the one dead eye of his briefly owned love token.

But as Te’aqG stood, death blow poised, he froze and gave a cry!

A hideous unknown monster then dropped down from the sky!

It’s pastey skin was hairless, except for yellow fur on its single head

It wore red and blue pelts from its victims – it must have skinned the dead

Their loose skins flapped about it, as it flew down to land nearby.

Its hideous face was terrifying, as it screeched its warcry - ‘Hi!’

As Jubblia entered , so Black Te’aqG turned and fled the clearing

She had heard Te’aqG’s terrified cry and came - to see what he was fearing.

She saw the vicious monster! She saw its single pair of ears!

Only two arms! No horns, and two legs! It was the sum of all her fears!

Only two tiny eyes and a single mouth, just what was this awful thing,

That could fly through the sky like a Pondo, though without a single wing?!

Lubbo stood to defend his love and struck hard with his stick!

But the club bounced off its hairless hide, though it wasn’t very thick.

'E-zyVella!' cried the monster then, 'E-zyVella!' it cried again!

Lubbo stood his ground bravely, as the creature bellowed in pain!'

The crowd gasped as the Teller continued.

'But then a herd of Flandarills bore down upon them all!

Their shrieking cries alerted the three, as they bellowed their hunting call

They thundered forward, towards them then, their sound chambers were screaming!

Their fur was up! Their horns were down! Their war-breath in the cold air, steaming!

Lubbo knew his time was up and he clutched Jubblia tight!

But then a strange thing happened, upon that strangest night!

The ugly, yellow-maned creature stepped between them with a sigh,

And gave the Flandarills a blast of her breath, that sent them scurrying by!

Its breath must have been horrible and vile, too awful for them to bare,

Because the Flandarills reared and bolted, scattering here and there.

To either side they ran and fled and did not harm the three,

Lubbo looked on in wonder – just how could that be?

The first wave of Flandrills she blew aside, for others she flailed her limbs

The mighty beasts were scattered and felled, she could add them to her skins

A fearsome glow shone from her eyes and the others baulked and fled

Lubbo couldn’t believe it – he thought they were surely dead!

As the Flandarill herd was scattered, it stampeded in almost every direction.

Black Te’aqG was squashed flatter than an Emlo, without the monster’s protection.'

A cheer went up from the Sleegs, happy that the villain had got his just desserts.

'Lubbo and Jubblia both were saved, for the strange monster was quite tame!

And so, though ugly she may have been, we have put her on the wall of fame!'

At this the Teller turned and gestured to the cave wall, where a tiny stick figure with a blue smudge for a body, a red triangle coming from above her legs and a larger red smear from her head was depicted, her yellow fur mane flying in the breeze behind her as she flew. He looked back at the cheering crowd, waiting for them to fall silent for the last part of the story.

'For though the monster was ugly, and seemed to us quite odd,

It was of course no monster! Lubbo had met our GOD!

It bared its tiny fangs one last time, as it rose up into the sky,

It swept its hand from right to left and simply said ‘GOO-DBI!’

But Lubbo cried out, ‘What was her name, she who could conquer all?’

She turned and smiled, as she hovered in the sky and then said ‘ZUBAGA’HAARL!
’!!!! '

The teller finished with a flourish, his eyes blazing with religious zeal as the excited Sleegs engulfed him uproariously, some rushing to touch the sacred painting of Zubaga’haarl on the cave wall.

Kara of course was oblivious to the reaction she had caused to Sleeg society, as she sped back to Earth after her peace mission to a distant galaxy, but as she had left the planet, long ago in Sleeg time but a mere handful of hours to her, she had thought of how she had terrified the inhabitants. There was some kind of bizarre quantum field in effect there, around the planet, creating a temporal disturbance that meant everything happened at near super-speed. Weird. She shook her head.

She gazed ahead at the blue ball she was coming to think of more and more as home. She felt a warm glow, a sense of inner peace to be heading back. She had felt thrilled when her cousin Superman had asked her to attend the negotiations between two distant planets, but that was before she realised just how boring such things could be. Not to mention unpleasant, as one of the negotiating parties communicated in odours. She grimaced at the memory. Now after the brief bit of excitement with the stampeding herd of whatever-the-hell they-were and those strange creatures on that bizarre little speeded up world, it felt good to be heading back. The Kryptonian designation for it was planet FK-87-OLM 901(J) 6741. That was a bit of a mouthful. She decided, as it was a speeded up world, that she would call it ‘Gonzalez’. She smiled to herself at her own little joke. She was still distracted by those idle thoughts as she approached the planet Earth and so she didn’t notice that on the very edge of the globe before her one of the spiralling white cloud systems over the north-west of the Bay of Biscay was actually revolving ever so slowly in the opposite direction to how it should. Had she watched it for longer she would have seen it moving slowly against the direction of the jet stream and prevailing winds, heading across the bottom of the English Channel and into the Irish Sea. But she didn’t see it. Instead, she was gazing at Metro City and her thoughts were still on that crazy little world where everything moved at lightning speed. The binary suns had crossed the sky in minutes the planet was spinning so fast. It had been on such a fast orbit, the effect exacerbated by the temporal field that had formed around it, that its years were the equivalent of twenty minutes in Earth time. In the few hours since she had left them, decades had passed in Sleeg society. That quantum distortion that surrounded the planet ‘Gonzalez’was just bizarre.

“Hmmn. Note to self. Better not stop there for a leak again…” she thought to herself with a soft, shy smile.

THE END.
:D
Well, you gotta admit, its different! ;)
Last edited by tallyho 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Void
Sargeant
Sargeant

Not necessarily my cup of tea but the writing is so good I really enjoyed it regardless. I like the medium of a story showing a story-teller telling a.... (must...not...say story...again...)...parable. You established culture in the group without taking any time to do so, which is something I'm still trying to work out how to do, so I tip my hat to you for that. I'm excited to see what you have coming up.
Lost in the night, and there is no morning.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Thank you Void, I'm glad you enjoyed it, as I say it was totally light hearted on my part but I have added a few bits that will feature in a more serious effort later on.

Sorry I can't find the original anywhere to post a link to, but I have found a precis of the original if anyone is interested, its enough for you to see how it influenced me all these years later :)
http://dreddalert.blogspot.co.uk/2014/0 ... alien.html
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Centurion
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

It's different, I'll give you that. I like it!