SUPERHEROINES IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN PART DEUX

Have stories to share? Post them here! All writers welcome.
Femcombater
Neophyte
Neophyte

There's been some discussion about this previous, after reading the TV TROPES article and looking at the Wiki site. This answers the question some previously asked

"OK then what IS in the public domain without having to deal with LEGAL issues. I'm certain that wiki site is not entirely 100% inaccurate?"

I agree I'm certain Wiki is not entirely 100% inaccurate. I don't think people just post there without having all the correct info as possible.

When searching Google for the same topic super heroines in the public domain legal, the Wiki site kept popping up.

How can SHEENA not be in the public domain? It seems that they keep the site very active with new additions etc. It's not a site that has fallen by the waste side like so many good sites do.

Also a a lot of these publishing companies are no longer around (especially the ones that were developed in the 1940'S-1950's-1960's )

I'm sure reinventing a golden age character will generate some interest among fans. Golden age meets new age a unique concept.

If some character(s) really spark your interest; find out as much info as you possibly can before venturing off. Don't let it deter you.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

This is very uncertain territory. Just look at the legal wrangling which kept Marvelman/Miracleman in limbo for years. In the end, it turned out the rights had never left original creator Mick Anglo. Even though he hadn't done anything with the character since 1963.

The only unique thing that any established character has is name recognition. But is there any highly recognizable superheroine who hasn't been trademarked?

Using an established character just seems like an unnecessary risk, unless she's iconic enough to be parodied. You could just as easily come up with your own character who would be no more corny than any superheroine created 50+ years ago.

"I'm certain that wiki site is not entirely 100% inaccurate?"

"How can SHEENA not be in the public domain?"

Those questions are back to front. It's a bit like asking for proof of the non-existence of Bigfoot. You should be asking how accurate is the wiki site and how could Sheena be in the public domain?

Sheena's creator Will Eisner only died 9 years ago. While original stories may have entered the public domain, ownership of the character is likely to remain protected for decades to come. Even Superman has comic strips and cartoons in the public domain, but he's hardly a public domain character.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."