The Legend of Overmaster: A Late Halloween Tale

Have stories to share? Post them here! All writers welcome.
The UG
Henchman
Henchman

I love slasher flicks that have legends behind the killers, like Madman Marz of "Madman" and Smiley of his titular film. Of course, that old King of Slumber, the Overmaster, has one. I was going to save it for the origin story proper, but who knows when that will be finished! So, close your eyes...picture you are sitting around a burning oil drum at the harbor of Delta City. You're hanging out with an old bum because...maybe you're drunk from a Halloween Party and was stumbling home. So, you and he...and a bunch of others are sitting by the fire, and he looks solemnly across the water, takes a swig of his bagged brandy, and says:

"Yeah, I remember a night like this...long, long, long time yonder, when this city was a lot smaller and the people a lot friendlier. Wasn't that many costumed yahoos runnin' 'round back then, and the law was the law. Crime stopped with a flash of the badge; criminals and law-'bidin' citizens respected it. The world wasn't 'bout how flashy or tight your costume was, 'cause men and women didn't need 'em. Honest days work carried the day...

See, that fella in the armor and cape...the one that kidnap all those superwomen? Some say he was born in my generation, in my city. Some say he was the son of two honest cops that lost their jobs when those vigilantes and flying people came down on us like a swarm, wiping away the crime. The parents lost their jobs 'cause the mayor went for all those costume weirdos and asked them to be the police force instead. So, wasn't about honest days work no more. It was 'bout flashing yer boobs, liftin' cars, bein' superfast...beyond normal.

So the parents were bitter...and the family was bitter in turn. There was three kids, ya see...there was a college girl, a preteen son, and another girl, the youngest. The son and the youngest girl was for the parents...they hated the superheroines and heroes. But unknown to them, the oldest child was secretly a superheroine herself, the biggest of 'em all. See you sittin' over there? You got her costume on, yeah? Betcha' didn't know the whole story, eh? That armored fella that's pissin' Delta City off? That's his sister's costume.

So, s*** hit the fan one day when the boy got home from school only to see blood at his doorstep. It's like that old story...you know, the one they made a movie about with that hot British chick and the guy who played Green Arrow in that flick...yeah, Hansel and Gretel...he's follows the trail of blood through his house and into his basement...and he sees his parents, beaten and bleedin' and tied up. And then he sees his sister, wearin' the costume of...Freedom, that was her name...Jack Daniel made that s*** illusive!

His sister's tied up too, but got clamps in places that...for the ladyfolk, I rather not say. Standin' 'fore her is this woman in a leather costume of her own...to this day, no one knows where she came from or who she was. Every super-someone was known by the people...they even had a newspaper and everythin'. Anyway, Miss Fortune...that's my name for 'er...Miss Fortune has Freedom rigged up to this electric shocker thing connected to the house...kind of like that flick with the Star Wars guy trying to find his little girl in Europe...yeah, the one where she was kidnapped and sold into slavery...no, not the Indiana Jones guy...yeah, Taken...that's it. That s*** was funny on that movie, but here...Freedom's all bruised and bloody, costume all ripped up, she dangling in midair by her damn hair...some twisted s***, y'all.

Daddy had all his clothes ripped off as well, he's all cut up, bleeding, whimpering...this was a highly decorated policeman, a f***** Columbo, Starsky and Hutch, T.J. Hooker type of mofo. This was a guy that would break windshields with his fist...you can't do that s*** in real life without breakin' yer hand. Momma was practically untouched...guess that was a good thing at the moment. So, the boy walks in, sees all of this, and freezes. Miss Fortune knocks him out I guess, 'cause the story always picks up later with the parents already dead and the Freedom chick wakin' up her brother. A kid is a kid, and this boy was no different...he freaked out when he saw his parents lying there dead in puddles of their own blood.

Takes a few minutes for Freedom to calm him down and tell 'im that she is goin' to free 'im...they were both tied up and danglin' like slaughtered hogs on meathooks...and he listens to her...at least, I guess...from what I heard, he was starin' at her all vacantlike, like Elvis had left the buildin' or somethin'. So, just as she finish tellin' the plan, Miss Fortune brings her evil ass back into the basement for another round of Torture 101. She gets a nasty surprise from ol Freedom, and let me tell ya, it wasn't no BIFF or POW bulls***. Somebody loss an eye that day, let me tell ya...ripped it out of 'er head like that broad on Kill Bill. So, Miss Fortune screaming like a damn banshee and drops her gun, one she had been carryin' all that time. Freedom chews her hands free from the ropes, drops to the ground, grabs the gun and kills Miss Fortune...shoots her dead, KAPOW!

Then she frees her little brother and hugs him. Brother still staring at her all wide-eyed, like something had stolen his soul. So they look at their dead parents' bodies, tryin' to figure out what to do. They can't go to superhero police 'cause their parents were advocates against them. They could not go to their parents' former police friends 'cause having a superhero daughter would make the parents traitors. But guess what happens? Brother snatches the gun from his sister's hand. He makes the choice for her. No mercy in his eyes. He shoots her dead and simply leaves.

After that, gets fuzzy. Some say he traveled the Earth, learning under some of the world's most despicable criminal masterminds. Others say he committed suicide, and is lying in an unmarked grave on the outskirts of the city...but we know now that's not true. I got a friend...yes, the homeless can have friends, asshole...and he's got this huge board with all of the threads connecting to different articles tellin' about this guy. He called it before anyone else did...about that boy returnin'...about that hatred warpin' him into a monster and bringin' that monster back home...to Delta City. My friend got articles like those missing superheroines in Japan...and England...and Spain.

I know one thing. You seen the news. It's not urban legend no more. That boy is alive and well...and I doubt he has that vacant look anymore..."