Dagger (2015) SHF

Superheroine Video Reviews By The Fans!
Forum rules
Create One Thread For Each Video Title.
In the Subject Line, put the title of the video, followed by the production company, or producers name.
Rate the video out of 10 at the bottom of your post.
Your review must be constructive. Tell us why you liked it, or why you didn't.
dagger_fan
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

About the reviewer
http://www.superheroineforum.com/viewto ... 125#p98125

Intro
Allow me the honor of introducing to you the most dazzling and explosive new heroine in town! She goes by the codename "Dagger" and is on the tail of all evil-doers and miscreants in town. No villian has been able to resist the might of her namesake energy daggers, nor the charms and beauty of the angelic vigilante. We can now all walk the streets feeling safer, knowing that Dagger's keen eyes are watching and putting the pain on crime for a change!

Review
As you can see I became an instant fan of this film. So, if you want the short version of the review, here it is:

Go buy it now! Here's the link: :whip:
http://shg-media.com/Default.asp?PageID ... 7471965320

However, I'll try to be fair and explain with detail what's so good about it. At least, why I liked it so much. Also, I will try to indicate what I didn't like and what I woudl have done different. My plan is actually to continue reviewing other films I've purchased. Dagger was just the excuse I needed to "come out of the closet" and start discussing a genre that I have come to enjoy so much. I'll divide my review in 10 categories and then give a final score out of 10.
  1. Script 9/10
    I really liked the script. They decided to build both the villians and the heroine's character in two brief action sequences. This makes the film start with a nice pace. Also, I really appreciated seeing Dagger defeating enemies at the beginning, fully displaying her powers as well as her superheroine persona. From there, the story is well developed so each character plays an interesting part in the ordeal. There are several details and character tropes which reappear throghout the story keeping it very dynamic. The only issue I had was that the story seemed to focus more in the villians than the heroine :thumbsdown: I would've liked to see a short scene of her out of costume in her normal life. I think that was done very well in films such as Redwing or Blue Swam from TBFE.
  2. Protagonist 11/10
    Yes, I cheated. I like her that much! :love: ¡Ay mi amor, Ashley Lane, sos una Diosa! She's just gorgeous but also a very good actress. She plays the part great, showing defiance but also weakness. They also did a great job in the costume desing. Though she does use skin-color pantyhose, they suit her very well. (I mean, a white girl with THAT ass! Holly guacamole!) The makeup was a detail that I truly appreciated (considering there is no credit for a make-up artist, I'm asuming we have to thank Ms Lane for that job too!), she really looks facially different in and out of costume. Maybe it's just me, but I honestly got the feeling I wouldn't recognize her alter-ego even though all she covers her face with is a domino mask. I really think make-up art is a detail producers should consider investing more in. Japanese producers are miles ahead in that department. They manage to make very plain Japanese girls look attractive, imagine what they could do with a beauty like Ashley! Will we see her in future productions? I certainly hope so! :please:
  3. Supporting Cast 8/10
    The only supporting cast are the antagonists of the story. They are 3 nerds who want to become super villains and target Dagger in order to gain membership in the Guild of Villains. I really think this was a very original setting as I had never seen it before appart from comic books. As a skinny guy with big glasses who has worked in IT for 10 years, I really identified with them. I really enjoyed Trevor "the Brute" playing a nerdy character for a change. Just like the jocks group always have a token smart-guy, you always see the nerd group have a token jock. They do that trope well here and it plays really great when Dagger is defiant and insults his manliness. The head of the trio is a good actor and handles most of the exposition very well. I enjoyed the evil nerd he pulled. The third one is the omega of the pack, unfortunately I feel the guy who got the part couldn't act. They compensated that by giving him few lines and making him the most interesting character. However, compared to the rest of the cast he was just inferior.
  4. Visual effects & Cinematography 10/10
    The film was really well recorded with very good lighting and multiple camera angles. They used a drone for the action scenes in the beginning. That helped to give it the air of an "Action Film". There weren't many special effects but they were wll done. Dagger's energy blades look reallistic and there are a couple of computer screens that were fone seamlessly as well. There were plenty of angles of Ashleys magnificent body for the viewer to enjoy. Kudos to the production on this department :bow:
  5. Sound effects & music 9/10
    The movie is filled with sound and music from the start. There are plenty of sound effects well done: Dagger's energy, the shield that negates the polarity of her energy, the electrified gloves and, of course, the punches. The music is similar to the one used in other films but was done right. The music always suits the tone of the action, which is all you can really ask from a film of this budget. There is a problem on the volume level in one spot when Dagger yells back to the villian. It's a nuisance, but I can't give it a ten if it's not perferct :geek:
  6. Action 9/10
    This is probably the category where my opinion might be more biased. If what you like is coreographed action scenes with plenty of martial arts this film will dissapoint you. However, for me what really mattered was getting to see Dagger in action and kicking ass. My attraction to the whole SHiP is based in the fact that I find powerful women attractive to start with. Though I must admit that I find both win and lose endings in superheroine stories very arousing, I like to think I'm always rooting for her. I like seeing the heroine triumphant and proud to begin with and, though in a small dosis, Dagger delivered just that. :super:
  7. Peril 10/10
    There is peril for many tastes on the film. It includes: power exhaustion, beatings, lowblows with reaction, groping, chloroform, chained by wrists standing up, forced waked up with cold water, electrocution with gloves, electrocution through collar, power suppression, forced enhibriation, partial costume destruction, forced submission, public unmasking and public diffamation. I think the list says it all, the film has plenty to keep you entertained.
  8. Erotica 8/10
    These partial nudity which basically means you get to see Ashley's cute little pink nipple through her thorned costume. :clap: There are no shots of her naked crotch and all intercourse is simulated. It worked well for me but I must admit in some shots it was too evident. If that's a turn-off for you, please be warned. I personally just focused on Ashleys beautiful face, though it can be tough to keep your eyes away from that sweet sweet bum of hers. :fun:
  9. End 10/10
    The ended is just GREAT. Expect no mercy from the villains on poor Dagger. Incapable of facing her with any kind of honor or decensy, these deviants rely on mischief and traps to subdue our beloved heroine. The way she is treated is appauling, undeserving of a young girl who has fought so hard to stop crime and bring super villians to justice. Depite her resolve and defiance they manage to hurt her in ways that go beyond physical toture. You should avoid watching it unless you are some kind of twisted bastard who finds pleasure in the humilliation of the just, the pure and the righteous! :joker:
  10. Value 10/10
    SHF productions has a very low price tag. This has to be one of the cheapest new releases this year but has the production quality of movies that cost almost double! Personally, I wanted to buy it the instant I saw the thumbnail. But when I saw the price I didn't expect much. How fortunately mistaken I was! :yahoo: Worth every cent!
Final Score: 9.4/10

Final Thoughts
This has to be my favorite SHiP film of all time! I would actually would love to see an alternate ending where Dagger wins. I think, depending on the mood you are in that could be a more appealing turni-on for me. I love producers such as Next Global Crisis who offer alternative ending to their videos. I probably should save for a custom film where Dagger saves the day or twists her peril into a Fendom situation... maybe in a tropical location down south, stopping a drug cartel in the middle of the jungle or something :shifty: a man can wish, hehe.
Bronson881
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I was expecting either some MC but its still very good.
dantoon
Henchman
Henchman

I wonder if they'll introduce Cloak.
thrifty
Henchman
Henchman

betrayed by evil Cloak?