ABC vs CW, Jan 19 2016

General discussions about superheroines!
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

As seen on TV Guide Listings!

ABC battles CW with Superhero/heroine shows, tuesday night, 1/19/2016...

On abc
cap.jpg
cap.jpg (9.38 KiB) Viewed 4134 times
Marvel's Captain America: 75 Heroic Years
8:00 PM on KABC 7, 1 hr 2016 TV-PG

The history of Captain America is recounted, including his emergence in 1941 and subsequent rise as a prominent cultural icon. Stan Lee, Joe Quesada, Clark Gregg, Ming-Na Wen, Chloe Bennet, Jeph Loeb, Louis D'Esposito, Chris Evans and Hayley Atwell provide commentary.

marvelsagentcarter-sml.jpg
marvelsagentcarter-sml.jpg (19.08 KiB) Viewed 4134 times
Marvel's Agent Carter
The Lady in the Lake; A View in the Dark
9:00 PM on KABC 7, 2 hr 2016 TV-PG

In the Season 2 premiere, after moving to Los Angeles to aid the West Coast branch of SSR, Peggy investigates a strange homicide in which the body glows and emanates cold. The case leads to ramifications that could wreck her career and impact those who are near and dear to her.

on the CW
theflash.jpg
theflash.jpg (27.56 KiB) Viewed 4134 times
The Flash
Potential Energy
8:00 PM on KTLA 5, 1 hr 2016 TV-PG

Barry considers telling Patty that he is The Flash. Meanwhile, Joe and Iris try to get to know Wally; and the team hunts down a meta-human who can slow time itself.

dclegendoftomorrow-sml.jpg
dclegendoftomorrow-sml.jpg (22.89 KiB) Viewed 4134 times
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
9:00 PM on KTLA 5, 30 min 2016 TV-14

An in-depth look at the origin stories of the heroes and villains from "DC's Legends of Tomorrow," including madman Vandal Savage, the time master Rip Hunter, and the motley band of heroes and rogues he assembles to try to save the future of humanity (Hawkman, Hawkgirl, White Canary, The Atom, Firestorm, Captain Cold and Heat Wave).

bvs.jpg
bvs.jpg (27.72 KiB) Viewed 4134 times
DC Films Presents: Dawn of the Justice League
9:30 PM on KTLA 5, 30 min 2016

Kevin Smith hosts a behind-the-scenes look at upcoming films from the DC universe, including "Suicide Squad" and "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice." Featuring interviews with Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, Gal Gadot, Zack Snyder and Patty Jenkins.

:im: :supes:
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I'm a Marvel fan, but if you ask me, DC is winning on TV. Marvel is winning in the movies, though.
Kitten
Elder Member
Elder Member

DC is winning in adult parodies imho.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Disney owns Marvel and ABC to milk the synergies of movies, TV shows, and merchandise where they can make the real money. Everything ties together so to get the full effect you need to keep watching.

Warner Brothers owns DC and the CW, but doesn't care about tie-ins as long as they make money. The TV show crossovers occur because the same person is creator for the several shows and it's easy to get approval for casts to appear on the different shows and the spin offs on the same network. Now getting Supergirl to crossover will be a miracle.
FallOutDweller
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Location: Mostly United Kinkydoms of Netherlands and Damnmarks

Dear Visitor, Please explained to me why I can find a wide variety of beauty productions, shampoo and lotion for skin care using Spiderman as their poster boy and absolutely nothing doing anything similar exploiting a DC Comics character ? Marvel and Disney are no longer milking the cow at this point, they are making it bleed.

Are they allergic to money or just really really lazy ?
Semi-Pro Devil's Advocate and Lawyer of Lost Pants & Causes / Spare Time Frame Caption Hunter.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

ABC/Netflix easy.

Agent Carter is a better show than the flash, arrow or supergirl, and I don't imagine Legends of Tomorrow (despite having Doctor Who's Rory on the cast) is going to include less obnoxiously simplified solutions to problems than any of the rest of DC's lineup.

I know the question is ABC vs CW but I think of it as Marvel vs DC. Marvel's shows (perhaps minus Agents of Shield but even that show has been decent since the end half of season 1) are just better shows. Agent Carter, Daredevil and Jessica Jones are superior products in writing, acting and overall quality of production in almost every way.

I know a lot of people REALLY like the Flash and Arrow and Supergirl, there's no reason not to like the shows, but they are often held back by intentional AND unintentionally cheesy dialogue and occasionally obnoxiously simplified solutions to problems. I gag every time I see the scene in the Flash where Berry discovers that Firestorm is an acronym because they were just discussing a time whatshername went scuba diving with her boyfriend... they didn't even TALK about how scuba was an acronym, acronym's are ordinarily as short as they can be so that you don't wind up with an acronym longer than four or five letters to begin with... but no. 'You went scubadiving once with your dead boyfriend... HEY! What if Firestorm is actually F.I.R.E.S.T.O.R.M.!!! That's not out of the blue at all!' Sheesus, it'd have made more sense if he'd asked 'figured anything out about firestorm?' and she'd just gone, 'yeah, I dug for hours, I found this acronym!'

It doesn't end there. Each of the DC shows are filled with this sort of thing, maybe it makes them more in line with comic books or something, I don't know, but in terms of shear production quality Marvel is better.
Richpartist
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Gorgeous women getting knocked out,pretty much all I care about with any of these shows :)
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

@ Fallout Dweller - Warner Brothers markets to children for merchandise especial health care. So you see toothbrushes and such for Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman, but not for people over the age of 10. They haven't pushed marketing since their movies have flopped compared to Marvel. Even then they aren't that aggressive with going after any product that you can slap a superhero on since the 1990s with Batman.

Disney believes that you are never too old to be milked for your money. They want every dime and then get you to take out a loan to buy more. But they have been concentrating on movie tie-ins instead of TV. This is the same company that bought Lucasfilms to get Star Wars and then told J. J. Abrams that Star Wars: The Force Awakens was supposed to repay their $4 billion dollar acquisition.
Camvoy
Producer
Producer

I watched The Flash, I watched Agent Carter, went online afterwards, checked out the new Suicide Squad trailer. In all, a good night of entertainment.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

TVratings-jan192016.png
TVratings-jan192016.png (214.7 KiB) Viewed 3830 times
the Flash beat Cap America docu.

Agent Carter beat DC's promos.

Overall ratings, they both lost!

:hq:
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

WOW! NCIS is till on.
Camvoy
Producer
Producer

NCIS is a CBS Monster. NCIS:LA is part of the Monday Night lineup that includes Supergirl and both they and Scorpion have done alright for themselves.

Arrow was last in its timeslot and 2nd to last overall, next to its CW followup, Supernatural. Then again, it's good to remember it's CW and not exactly at the same level as the other networks. Both Arrow and The Flash seem to be back to its usual audience of around 3 million. Agent Carter's audience appears to be the Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. audience on stand-by with the numbers being fairly consistent.

The real question is how Legends Of Tomorrow does tonight. I hope it does well since it's an opportunity to have Hawkgirl on a network. Interested in seeing the original Canary switch to White Canary as well, though not having a mask on is throwing me off for some reason.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

This week I watched Supergirl, Agent Carter, Star Wars Rebels, The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow.

Liked Supergirl a lot, as her sidekick Winn got a big character episode.

Star Wars Rebels had their first appearance by teenage Leia, which was fun.

Legends of Tomorrow was a big dumb comic book of a show, and had tons of references to old school Dr. Who. I liked it, but hope it gets more coherent and less "Whee! Blammo!" as it goes on.

Agent Carter I can take or leave. Too many straw men used to make the heroine look competent, and it's unnecessary. I would trade it for more Agents of SHIELD in an instant.

The Flash is a show I usually enjoy, but this episode was a bit annoying, as they made the hero carry the idiot ball around the whole time. It was like a bad sitcom plot, which the characters could have resolved at any time just by talking about it.