Super Heroine Central

General discussions about superheroines!
Kitten
Elder Member
Elder Member

Love him, hate him, I think Dano was one of the first big impact website that made a successful go at the exclusive superheroine genre website.

For whatever reason he stopped producing new content for a very long time, but recently he's started putting out a modest amount of new stuff. I dont recall them appearing in past updates before.

Only a Poser Story, but it seems pretty well done. I believe he's just wrapped up an American Fox story, and is starting a new Ultragirl one.

The rest of the content seems to be time tunnel rehash of old stuff, so i'm not sure if new poser content by itself is enough to justify membership again, but i do find it encouraging that new content seems to be finding its way back into his website.

He has samples of this story up in his update section, and he has even given away his first installment for his American Fox poser story, which can be found here...

http://www.superheroinecentral.com/panelstory/index.htm

Certainly worth a look.
LordSnot
Henchman
Henchman

Really wish he would post his older vids as remastered single videos. So many gems there. Plus ditch the annoying voiceovers.
Kitten
Elder Member
Elder Member

He does seem to be posting his older videos too.

I believe he's in the middle of reposting his Stinger Videos, where were actually pretty good in my opinion.

I have no clue if they've been remastered though.
Zeta Clark
Sargeant
Sargeant

The new material is outstanding. It's filled with all the peril you would expect to see in a DanO comic.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I am a bit tempted but think the price is high, not feeling the membership format (though I love their OCs and a Butterscotch Fox poser might sway me)

Not sure I want videos chopped up into lots of 2 min segments either. I don't mind about the vid quality (grainy villain surveillance cam makes sense) either but would probably merrily shell out $20/$30 for a whole bunch of their films so long as they were 1 mp4 etc
Dbbbrrr
Neophyte Lvl 3
Neophyte Lvl 3

I deff agree. SHC introduced me to this genre which is cool. But I always found the membership format troublesome. Thats probably just because I had never usually been able to pay. Sooperhero was cheaper but, SHC was better. But I just dont think im big on membership sites. But thats just me.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Is it just me, or do the captions in that American Fox sample poseur comic (excellent, btw) literally *disappear* after you're reading it for a little while? Why would Dan0 set it up to do that?
Philo Hunter
Overlord
Overlord

If you click on the picture it shows the raw version of the image. Maybe it transitions to that after a certain amount of time?
Ripper1
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Well if Dano hasn't chagedchis format and I doubt it
In previous years you could get the posers/ comics - photo stories sometimes in three formats individual panels, Raw comic pages and final version with text and description bubbles

The. Only thing I noticed looking at his past updates free preview page is that he has changed some of the titles to stuff that is now hell almost 20 years old now
Even if he'd have reedit end the films I think he still isn't going any higher than 720 X 480 and even those are pretty pixelated
The worst part is that in any 1 months membership I will tell you never ever hit a full story if anything and hat was pretty much his down fall from being the leader back in the days
I used to get a membership cancel and wait a month then download like MADD even that got way to time consuming and some if the video clip segments had shit 60 clips in a single video saga

I'll never go back stopped back in 2003 I think
But will say every once and a while I still look those videos over
Philo Hunter
Overlord
Overlord

Yeah, if he were to offer completed comic stories for sale I'd probably buy those in a heart beat, but I don't want to wait three months to collect a story I can read in one sitting, that's just too long and not worth it, especially with so much stuff freely available out there.
Kitten
Elder Member
Elder Member

Not really debating the format, it is what it is.

I'm just observing that for a while there, they weren't producing anything new.

Now they seem to be. I think it's a step in the right direction.

I dont work for Dano, but i am a fan of the genre. I just thought this was interesting news, and thought it was worth pointing out the free installment that was being offered.

People get what they pay for. Dano offers free samples, and hosts Wizards Lair, which would have went under a while ago for lack of a host if not for him. It's no more right to belittle him for having paid content, than to have someone point to your paid stories and mention that they would never buy them, because there was plenty of free stories around.

it just isn't right.
Philo Hunter
Overlord
Overlord

I, for one, didn't mean to belittle him. His sight was pretty central to my young sexuality, and the comics that he posted still inspire me to this day. I just wish he had a different business model, my reading style has changed quite a bit over the last 15 years or so. It is nice to see him posting new stuff again though.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Kitten wrote:People get what they pay for. Dano offers free samples, and hosts Wizards Lair, which would have went under a while ago for lack of a host if not for him. It's no more right to belittle him for having paid content, than to have someone point to your paid stories and mention that they would never buy them, because there was plenty of free stories around.

it just isn't right.
Not trying to belittle anyone kitten. You're absolutely right that shc hosts a lot of free content and hands out a lot of samples.

I was kinda hoping the time tunnel tactic was a stop gap to get them back in the game and producing new stuff, for me they generally hit the nail quite squarely on the head and artistically I have absolutely no critisism of them.

The only thing I do say is that I think (and I admit I'm not a business guy and don't have an answer here) their business model is out dated. They aren't the only gig in town anymore and they dropped a bit of goodwill a few years back. These days I can go get a full movie or serial in a couple of clicks, rather than waiting until midnight next Wednesday for another 3 mins of (an admittedly awesome) power angel film.

I honestly think they could claw it back (but that may take time and effort that Dan O may not have to spare) and would love to see them do it, I'd love to go back to them.
Kitten
Elder Member
Elder Member

Just sounds like a lot of negative comments.

I'm a poor starving artist at the moment, so i'm not joining anytime soon, but i was once a fan and member of the site, though i gave it up when the new updates stopped. I was really sad to see them go.

I agree, and have always been of the opinion that they should have archived and put past material in their store, but for what ever reason it didnt happen. Maybe that'll change, who knows.

I was just pleased that new stuff seemed to be coming out and I find the appearance of new material a step in the right direction. A small step but still a step.

That a whole installment was out for free i thought was a nice enough find to share, i didnt expect a Dano bashing party to start over it. No clue what his future game plan is, but i hope he's slowly finding his pace and generating new stuff again.
Foolish Mortal
Henchman
Henchman

I am glad to see Dano back doing new material. He does have a treasure trove of fantastic older material that I would love to see again. You can always reach out to Dano, I know he responds. I sent him an email a month ago about an old video he had. Maybe if he hears from more of us it will inspire him to get those out there :D.
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I think the issue with DanO is that he never interacted with customers and never showed any interest in helping them out. The bad customer service really stuck with many. (And then there was the constant, never-ending cow references...)
Ignore any virtue-signaling; it's clearly just you.

Ignore any activism; it clearly doesn't exist.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!
Ignore your common sense!

Everything is entirely normal and ignore the radical changes to culture.
Kitten
Elder Member
Elder Member

sugarcoater wrote:I think the issue with DanO is that he never interacted with customers and never showed any interest in helping them out. The bad customer service really stuck with many. (And then there was the constant, never-ending cow references...)

To be fair, i believe he did early on, but found all the negative feedback to be counter productive to his motivation to produce stuff. (I may be wrong, but at the beginning i thought he was trying really hard to get in touch with the crowd, because back then we were an unproven market to sell to.)
Philo Hunter
Overlord
Overlord

Kitten wrote: To be fair, i believe he did early on, but found all the negative feedback to be counter productive to his motivation to produce stuff. (I may be wrong, but at the beginning i thought he was trying really hard to get in touch with the crowd, because back then we were an unproven market to sell to.)
I can totally see coming to that decision. I love this board, its an amazing recourse as both a fan of the genre and a producer of content. But holy shit, I've never seen a group of people who all love the same thing spend so much time tearing that thing and the people that make it down. Many posters seem to expect that everything produced be tailor made for them and their specific kinks and NOTHING else, and when it isn't EXACTLY what they want they spew abuse and complain endlessly. The ratio of negative comments to positive ones and be REALLY disheartening and there seems to be very little attempt to make criticism constructive in any manner other than "I demand this exact thing or your awful".
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

There definitely is negativity, but isn't that business? Just look at all the various posts on any Yelp business. Positive and negative posts abound for the same business. To be successful, one needs to discriminate between useful feedback, compliments, and criticism from the empty complaints and unrealistic suggestions.
DanO had a very thin skin. He responded to my compliments and positive suggestions for several years. Then I sent one email that was a fair criticism, and after receiving a rude and profane email I never received another response from again. That basically ended my membership with the site.
In short, I think DanO produced good material back in the day, wasn't willing or able to adapt to the new style of superheroine material, and wasn't able to work with his client base to promote his brand further. It's entirely his prerogative to do so, and this current state of SHC is where things have progressed. If it works for him, cool. He certainly played a role in moving the genre to a good place, and for that I will always be grateful.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!

Ninja J.
Henchman
Henchman

To me, Dano will always be the godfather of this superheroine genre. The models were gorgeous, the acting was believable and his video serials are still some of the best. To this day, I think he's the only one out there that produces live photocomics along with drawings, sketches, and vids. If he ever gets his shit together and produces new material, he'd probably be the best producer out there once again.

But I also agree with a lot of the negatives. His costumer service sucked, the voice-over thing was overdone (though sometimes it fit perfectly), video and comic serials were incomplete and being ungodly late with updates is inexcusable to paying members. I wish he'd change his format because I'm not a fan of the membership deal but it's not a deal breaker. Honestly, the negatives shouldn't be impossible to correct. I think Dano worries too much about creating an original story or plot. For me, a good story is nice but it doesn't have to be the most original idea ever. Just create a simple superheroine plot line, put the heroine in peril, rub some slime on her and you got 90% of the vid right there. I'm hoping one day he restores the consumers' trust, because I believe he can still put out fantastic material if he puts out the effort for it.
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

@ Ninja
I think it has been close to 8 years since there was an original video at SHC. I was a customer off and on since 1998 up to then. Definitely would agree as to SHC being one of the original "expanders" of the genre along with the folks at sooperhero.com

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!

lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

There are some new character previews in his Twitter account that I saw this morning
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Kitten wrote: People get what they pay for. Dano offers free samples, and hosts Wizards Lair, which would have went under a while ago for lack of a host if not for him. It's no more right to belittle him for having paid content, than to have someone point to your paid stories and mention that they would never buy them, because there was plenty of free stories around.

it just isn't right.
The problem is that people haven't been getting what they paid for! Back when he was last producing comics and videos, DanO's updates became so irregular that anyone who remained a member must be owed several years' worth of content. Even after switching to mostly recycled content, he still struggles to meet the advertised weekly schedule.

Many of the producers on this board miss their announced release dates. But that's fine because customers pay for the content as and when it becomes available. They only hurt themselves by missing deadlines.

In DanO's case, however, he asks for regular payment up front and then fails to deliver. This may be understandable if issues made him fall behind schedule in the short term. But this shit has been going on for so many years that nobody can possibly believe that DanO intends to give people what they paid for. Persistent non-delivery has become a major part of his business model.

The blame can't be shifted to whoever wrote nasty emails about the content. DanO had a large and loyal fanbase which he personally drove away by taking their money and not delivering the goods in a timely manner.
sugarcoater wrote:@ Ninja
I think it has been close to 8 years since there was an original video at SHC. I was a customer off and on since 1998 up to then. Definitely would agree as to SHC being one of the original "expanders" of the genre along with the folks at sooperhero.com
This seems to be the last original video. I didn't think it was as recent as 2013 either.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130520110 ... /video.htm

Between 2008 and 2013, the new stuff became so scarce that I can see why you thought it stopped earlier.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
decendingskulls
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Kitten wrote:He does seem to be posting his older videos too.

I believe he's in the middle of reposting his Stinger Videos, where were actually pretty good in my opinion.

I have no clue if they've been remastered though.
I'm pretty sure Mr. X has chimed in on this topic in the past and said that the original media has been overwritten (due to the nature of the dated technology) so there really is no "remastering" to be done. The clips could be stitched together to make one long film, which I've actually done for my own sake, but that's about it.

In case you're curious, for example, Vagrin's Task clocks in at 1 hour and 10 minutes long. If you subtract the slideshow of the photo story that serves as the prequel, it's about five minutes shorter.
Ave atque vale
Zeta Clark
Sargeant
Sargeant

It looks like DanO will be expanding on his American Fox storyline. And that..."for now, American Fox and UltraGirl will rotate out week to week."