Mary Sues

General discussions about superheroines!
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote:It's interesting that the references to male Mary Sues on this thread (Damien Wayne, Anakin Skywalker in TPM, Will Robinson) are all boys, rather than men. Yet the whole cliche of men becoming action heroes in a very short space of time is somehow overlooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFrMLRQIT_k

So Neo in The Matrix isn't a Mary Sue? What about the new Kirk's mega-fast promotion to Captain of the Enterprise? Or the 2002 Spider-Man suddenly becoming inexplicably muscular and mastering his superpowers extremely quickly?

It seems the made-up space magic of Star Wars suddenly becomes hard science when there's annoyance at a woman getting too magical too quickly.

Will Marvel's Doctor Strange receive similar criticism? Or will it all be leveled at the "SJWs" casting a female Ancient One?

Addressing Abrams Kirk (another reason I hate the Force awakens he ruined 2 great franchises) Yes that Kirk is a Gary Stan. The Roddenberry Kirk and for that matter Spock did not have that metoric rise shown in this movie. Having not seen 2002 Spideman I can't comment. In some respect Harry Potter is a Gary Stan but during the series he loses frequently.

So again this has nothing to do with Rey being a female from my perspective but I have tow wonder, if Rey had been a male character would it be getting this vehement defense.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
So again this has nothing to do with Rey being a female from my perspective but I have tow wonder, if Rey had been a male character would it be getting this vehement defense.
Well, seeing as the terms Mary Sue, Marty Stu and Gary Stu are seldom leveled at adult male characters, there would need to be significant criticism of the equivalent male characters before there could be a defense.

The claim of "nothing to do with Rey being female" seems disingenuous. Seeing as we've been told next to Jack Shit about how the force works, the existence of a naturally force-adept character somewhere in that galaxy shouldn't shock you too much.

Do you REALLY want future Star Wars to be limited to what was shown in past Star Wars? Or are you just pissed that a "chosen one" with extra-strong powers turned out to be a woman?
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
Dazzle1 wrote:
Well, seeing as the terms Mary Sue, Marty Stu and Gary Stu are seldom leveled at adult male characters, there would need to be significant criticism of the equivalent male characters before there could be a defense.

The claim of "nothing to do with Rey being female" seems disingenuous. Seeing as we've been told next to Jack Shit about how the force works, the existence of a naturally force-adept character somewhere in that galaxy shouldn't shock you too much.

Do you REALLY want future Star Wars to be limited to what was shown in past Star Wars? Or are you just pissed that a "chosen one" with extra-strong powers turned out to be a woman?
I think that the first 6 movies and the good novelizations aka The Thawn Trilogy X Wing etc obeyed the rules of the Star Wars universe

This is a pet peeve of mine and it goes to Star Trek with Abrams, DR Who with Davies and Moffat .

I am not a big fan of Marvel I prefer D.C but for the most part the X Men, Avengers Iron Man and Captain america movies stayed faithful to the rules.

Bluntly you are sounding like a SJW with your feminst accusations
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I think Abrams is a Star Wars fan who determined to end the 'Which is better?' debate between the two series by crashing Star Trek into a space volcano.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
I think that the first 6 movies and the good novelizations aka The Thawn Trilogy X Wing etc obeyed the rules of the Star Wars universe

This is a pet peeve of mine and it goes to Star Trek with Abrams, DR Who with Davies and Moffat .

I am not a big fan of Marvel I prefer D.C but for the most part the X Men, Avengers Iron Man and Captain america movies stayed faithful to the rules.

Bluntly you are sounding like a SJW with your feminst accusations
What exactly do you mean by "rules"? If you're basing these made-up "rules" on not going beyond what was shown previously, then that's stymieing creativity. You end up with a severely compromised diegesis - like that of the modern Batman '66 comics - which can never develop beyond the confines of an earlier work.

If I sound like an "SJW", it's because the "Mary Sue" argument is applied almost exclusively to females and boys. The criticism of adult male Mary Sues is conspicuous by its absence. Despite their ubiquity in popular culture.

Just pick the Matrix movies, Superman or any other heavy-handed Jesus allegory. Characters doing miraculous stuff is well-established in popular culture. And it's well-established in Star Wars. Anakin was a virgin birth. You can't get much more miraculous than that.

Yet, using your own nostalgia-based "rules", a Sith Lord impregnating Rey using Midi-chlorians would be less rule-breaking than Rey using the force to compel a Storm Trooper to set her free.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The rules as set by creator in Star Wars Lucas in Star Trek Roddenbury and the great bird of Galaxy even made well known writers confirm to it

Abrams has not.

I try to forget the Matrix was ever created and Neo seem to have a lot of flaws. But the closest Mary Sue in the D.C universe is a male the Martian Manhunter, as far a adult male Mary Sue's you have not named one

Superman is no more powerful than the average Kryptonian exposed to a yellow sun.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Addendum Abrams Captain Kirk is Mary Sue
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:The rules as set by creator in Star Wars Lucas in Star Trek Roddenbury and the great bird of Galaxy even made well known writers confirm to it

Abrams has not.

I try to forget the Matrix was ever created and Neo seem to have a lot of flaws. But the closest Mary Sue in the D.C universe is a male the Martian Manhunter, as far a adult male Mary Sue's you have not named one

Superman is no more powerful than the average Kryptonian exposed to a yellow sun.
By the end of the prequel trilogy, it was heavily suggested that a Sith Lord can make a virgin give birth to new life. It was also established that the blue ghosts were new knowledge to Yoda.

Also, Anakin was already considered way too old to start training when he was half Luke's age. Yet, instead of a lifetime of intensive training, Luke gets a short vacation in a swamp. And people honestly wonder why Luke wasn't so great at training Kylo!

So, Magic Space Jesus Prophecy Boy - along with his son and daughter who weren't intuitive enough to realize their flirting and kissing was deeply creepy - is all much more acceptable to you than "Mary Sue" Rey because Lucas wrote it? Pathetic!

Every long-running franchise has expanded upon - and in many cases rewritten - earlier lore. Every long-running franchise develops new "rules". DC, Marvel, Trek, ALL OF THEM! It's really desperate clutching at straws to condemn Rey simply because she's quicker to pick up the force than anyone we've seen in the Lucas films.

Superman can be considered a Mary Sue within the basic set-up. Other Kryptonians only appear occasionally. So his standard peer group of supporting characters are mostly ordinary humans.

Stop trying to redefine "Mary Sue" as invulnerable and utterly flawless. Nobody else uses the term in that way.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Stop dictating how I can define something.

I have right to hate a character as do you or not to
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:Stop dictating how I can define something.
People using idiosyncratic definitions make any attempt at discussion futile. At the very least, everyone needs to be using the commonly-understood definition of terms.
Dazzle1 wrote:I have right to hate a character as do you or not to
You can hate any character you like and give subjective reasons for that. Asserting that a film and a character are objectively bad, however, is where these discussions become squabbles.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Never get into arguments with Snowflakes SJWs
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Or Strawmen.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Yes. Rey has no unreasonable skills in this film.
Sorry but given the franchise and the emphasis on training yes Rey has extremely unreasonable skills. There is no way out of the gate she could master a saber and beat Ren nor could she use mind tricks or even know what they were.

I have the ability to do gymnastics. I have arms and legs. But that doesn't mean I can beat the world's best gymnast 2 hours after learning about what back flips are.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
Sorry but given the franchise and the emphasis on training yes Rey has extremely unreasonable skills. There is no way out of the gate she could master a saber and beat Ren nor could she use mind tricks or even know what they were.

I have the ability to do gymnastics. I have arms and legs. But that doesn't mean I can beat the world's best gymnast 2 hours after learning about what back flips are.
Bear in mind that Luke only had a very small amount of training. Yet he became a Jedi incredibly quickly and apparently went on to teach others. Then in the prequels, we later learn that Jedi training is supposed to begin in infancy and carry on well into adulthood. (But shortened training was allowed for Space Jesus and a brief glance at "The Force for Dummies" was allowed for Son of Space Jesus.)

Why is it so implausible to you that Rey could be naturally gifted? Do you know exactly how made-up space magic works? :confused:
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote: Why is it so implausible to you that Rey could be naturally gifted? Do you know exactly how made-up space magic works? :confused:
Because its apparent from the stories being a Jedi is not about being naturally gifted. For example Anikin is considered to have one of the highest power levels ever discovered. He spent his whole life from a small boy training. He was soundly defeated by Lord Dooku and that was with Obwan's help. Luke was not using Jedi mind tricks even during Strikes Back. And he got beat by Darth. There is no suggestion in the series that raw power means one will work a light saber. Again just because I am limber and agile does not mean I can be an expert Gymnast in a few hours. Or with martial arts. I maybe very gifted physically but I'm not going to become a black belt in 2 hours.

The other characters worked up to being powerful over 3 episodes and that was part of the story. Learning, making mistakes. Its better story telling.

So do you think Anikin in episode one as a child flying a space fighter, shooting down programmed attack drones and blow up a mothership and also pod racing etc was plausible or bad story telling because the producers were pandering to little kids? And please no, "Episode one sucked altogether so everything is trash".

Here's another angle to this. If Rey just magically can beat a trained sith knight in a fight some two hours after seeing a light saber and hearing about the force then WHAT accomplishment did she actually earn for herself? What did SHE do? Isn't that kind of insulting to a female character that she doesn't actually earn or make anything of her own but is just handed power and knowledge? Even Billy Batson has to learn to be Captain Marvel when he says Shazam. This to me is the equivalent of just handing a woman a multi-billion dollar corporation then patting her on the back for being successful. That to me is pandering and destroys any sense of growth, accomplishment. Yeah its a power trip but then that's all one can take away from this. Rey then is not a person but merely a vessel of injected skill and power. She earned nothing other than being born a proverbial princess.
Do you know exactly how made-up space magic works?
Well if everything is just magic then what possible praise could Rey get? How is she bad-assed when its all "magic" and she really brings nothing. Explaining this away through magic means all significance is lost. Might as well have 4 year olds beat everyone. What was her accomplishment then if its all magic?
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

How is that different from Luke Skywalker having the skill to destroy the Death Star, pretty much blind, after five minutes of playing with a lightsaber and flying ball while blinded by a helmet?

Is Luke's five minutes of "training" somehow a huge accomplishment that showed he really worked much harder than Rey?

Also, Luke had no training whatsoever in telekinesis before he used it on Hoth. Nor had he seen others use that ability before. He just did it naturally. Just like Rey.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:

No it doesn't. Luke get's like three days of training and it isn't enough. Vader chops his hand off, he goes back and suddenly he's ready. Seems to me like his 'realization' or 'ascendance' into heroism had more to do with action and consequence than it ever did with his training and suddenly he's more powerful than Anakin, whose been a badass Jedi killer for twenty years, a war veteran for five-seven, and a long trained jedi for fifteen before that. The Prequels make a whole lot of claims later on that are absent and abstract concepts in the originals, I thought we wanted the new films to feel more true to the originals and LESS like the crap we got in the prequels right?

And here we are again right back around the circle. Assuming Ren's skills are masterful despite clear evidence in the script that they are not. Assuming we understand the force and what characters are capable of through the force despite clear evidence in the SERIES that we do not. I'm sorry if you alway thought there were defined rules concerning the force in Star Wars, but there aren't and never were.

Sword fighting is not as hard as gymnastics, sorry its not, but lets say that you were a dancer BEFORE you tried gymnastics, you'll do better than you would if you went in blind by using what you know.

There's reason to consider also that Kylo hasn't been doing a whole lot of lightsaber dueling. Who would he be doing all his dueling with? There's no Jedi to fight, which means he can only be learning to duel if another duelist is around to teach him, and since Snoke seems more interested in taking over the galaxy and then in finding Rey until right at the end there where he says 'I must complete his training' there is no reason to think he is all that up to date with his saber technique.

Look, it isn't Rey's fault that you ascribed tremendous skill and power to Kylo Ren while watching the film without proof of his abilities. That's sort of the POINT. Kylo is meant to look powerful right up until he doesn't. We're not supposed to realize he's a scrub until right up at the end when we're informed that despite all the powerful shit he's been doing, he's actually a scrub, and probably a scrub by design. Snoke doesn't want 'Vader' who might turn around, overpower him and chuck him in a reactor. He wants an easily controllable tool, and in that he's had no Jedi resistance to worry about, he hasn't needed to produce an all powerful second in command, just one who could use the force and spook the enemy.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
Mr. X wrote:

No it doesn't. Luke get's like three days of training and it isn't enough. Vader chops his hand off, he goes back and suddenly he's ready. Seems to me like his 'realization' or 'ascendance' into heroism had more to do with action and consequence than it ever did with his training and suddenly he's more powerful than Anakin, whose been a badass Jedi killer for twenty years, a war veteran for five-seven, and a long trained jedi for fifteen before that. The Prequels make a whole lot of claims later on that are absent and abstract concepts in the originals, I thought we wanted the new films to feel more true to the originals and LESS like the crap we got in the prequels right?

And here we are again right back around the circle. Assuming Ren's skills are masterful despite clear evidence in the script that they are not. Assuming we understand the force and what characters are capable of through the force despite clear evidence in the SERIES that we do not. I'm sorry if you alway thought there were defined rules concerning the force in Star Wars, but there aren't and never were.

Sword fighting is not as hard as gymnastics, sorry its not, but lets say that you were a dancer BEFORE you tried gymnastics, you'll do better than you would if you went in blind by using what you know.

There's reason to consider also that Kylo hasn't been doing a whole lot of lightsaber dueling. Who would he be doing all his dueling with? There's no Jedi to fight, which means he can only be learning to duel if another duelist is around to teach him, and since Snoke seems more interested in taking over the galaxy and then in finding Rey until right at the end there where he says 'I must complete his training' there is no reason to think he is all that up to date with his saber technique.

Look, it isn't Rey's fault that you ascribed tremendous skill and power to Kylo Ren while watching the film without proof of his abilities. That's sort of the POINT. Kylo is meant to look powerful right up until he doesn't. We're not supposed to realize he's a scrub until right up at the end when we're informed that despite all the powerful shit he's been doing, he's actually a scrub, and probably a scrub by design. Snoke doesn't want 'Vader' who might turn around, overpower him and chuck him in a reactor. He wants an easily controllable tool, and in that he's had no Jedi resistance to worry about, he hasn't needed to produce an all powerful second in command, just one who could use the force and spook the enemy.

Femina I don't know how familiar you are with sword fighting to make that statement. But here is anology Biles and Raisman did Great tumbling one better than the other but same movement with same result. Anyone can try to use a sword but a slight error you die

FYI I a 2nd degree so I know when's Rey or Jacob Kell swordsmanship is not realistic.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote:How is that different from Luke Skywalker having the skill to destroy the Death Star, pretty much blind, after five minutes of playing with a lightsaber and flying ball while blinded by a helmet?

Is Luke's five minutes of "training" somehow a huge accomplishment that showed he really worked much harder than Rey?

Also, Luke had no training whatsoever in telekinesis before he used it on Hoth. Nor had he seen others use that ability before. He just did it naturally. Just like Rey.

Because the death star was a contrived story plot with a vent that went from the surface all the way to the reactor with no gates. Its bad story telling. I will 100% say that is bad story telling. That's a far cry from Luke in 3 hours beating Darth in a saber fight. And the destruction of the mothership in episode one was bad plot writing. And the destruction of the mega death star in the Force Awakens was bad plot. Again this massive base but it can be taken down by now antiquated x wing fighters and a few well placed explosives? Bad writing.

Are you really saying a lucky shot = beating an expert in a saber fight? Really?
That's fine given a period of time has passed. Maybe months. Yes he would probably be exploring his abilities. Rey was JUST introduced to the concept of the Force and NO ONE had said they can levitate objects. How would she even know. Same with the mind trick. Again if say months or weeks had passed I could see Rey doing some of this. Not just after a few hours. And if she could do it that quickly how come she never did any of this when she was homeless on that desert planet? But its total bunks he goes from nothing to expert saber fighter in a few hours with NO TRAINING just some street smarts.

If this is all space magic then all of Rey's bad-assery is unearned and so she deserves no praise. Nothing is earned here. And if one argue Ren is of no real skill level then Rey CLEARLY didn't earn any kind of real win. She just beat a sniveling cry baby.

What exactly makes Rey a bad ass if its all magic?
Last edited by Mr. X 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote: No it doesn't. Luke get's like three days of training and it isn't enough. Vader chops his hand off, he goes back and suddenly he's ready. Seems to me like his 'realization' or 'ascendance' into heroism had more to do with action and consequence than it ever did with his training and suddenly he's more powerful than Anakin, whose been a badass Jedi killer for twenty years, a war veteran for five-seven, and a long trained jedi for fifteen before that.

Not sure what movies you watched but in the 4 episode Luke gets a few hours of training from Obwan (at least he GOT training) and doesn't do anything more than get a lucky shot with a fighter ship in a plot device.

Episode 5 its unclear how much time has passed with Luke on Hoth but he's still pretty green in his powers. Then he goes to Yoda, trains with a master but is over confident. Yoda keeps going on and on about how he's not ready. Then he gets his ass handed to him.

Episode 6 again time passes Luke grows more powerful. Yes he beats Vadar who is now old. Still a hell of a lot more plausible training than Rey got in which all she did was find a light saber and 4 hours later she's beating a sith knight and she got no training from anyone. She's levitating objects. She's mind controlling. BAM she's an expert. Its pretty clear Ren is far more trained.

And Anikin is even a bigger case. The whole time from kid to young adult is spent training under masters. And even he loses his first boss fight.

Don't know why you keep insisting 4 hours of exposure to a light saber = years of training. even if its months of training its a far cry more plausible than what Rey does.

Now if you chalk this up to "magic" then Rey accomplishes nothing. Bad assery means nothing cause not only did she never work to earn what she has but her opponent was a wuss and easily beaten. Being homeless isn't much of an explanation given there are probably thousands of homeless on that desert planet and they hardly would rank as super jedi fighters.

I don't see how Rey does not fit the definition of "Mary Sue". She's handed her powers. She's handed a victory. She earns none of it.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Rey's from a much more combative upbringing than any of the previous Jedi characters in the series. I find it really odd that nobody clocks this. She lives in a wrecked AT-AT and collects salvage for a living in a lawless desert shithole. And she's been doing that since she was a child. Training as a concept can mean many things, but we're talking about somebody who survived on her own on a backwater planet. So in short I don't buy the idea that she's working from nothing to start with. She's starting the movie from a position of being a fully fledged non-Jedi badass, backed up with latent force sensitivity stronger than everybody else for reasons we're presumably going to find out about later.

What I suspect is that it'll turn out she had prior training or something. There's more to the story I'm sure. I wouldn't write off the trilogy for not explaining everything in great detail in the first episode though. I mean there's bound to be an "I am your father!" level reveal still to come.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote: Not sure what movies you watched but in the 4 episode Luke gets a few hours of training from Obwan (at least he GOT training) and doesn't do anything more than get a lucky shot with a fighter ship in a plot device.

Episode 5 its unclear how much time has passed with Luke on Hoth but he's still pretty green in his powers. Then he goes to Yoda, trains with a master but is over confident. Yoda keeps going on and on about how he's not ready. Then he gets his ass handed to him.

Episode 6 again time passes Luke grows more powerful. Yes he beats Vadar who is now old. Still a hell of a lot more plausible training than Rey got in which all she did was find a light saber and 4 hours later she's beating a sith knight and she got no training from anyone. She's levitating objects. She's mind controlling. BAM she's an expert. Its pretty clear Ren is far more trained.
Oh gease wow just... wow. I must have forgot about all that! Like, you're right! Luke had DAYS of training! The whole Star Wars story makes a huge deal of how important DAYS of training are! Thank you for this humongous revelation.

Sorry. A few days of training are essentially nothing more than that. A few days of training. I iterate again. The most important thing that happened to Luke that the films seem to take as making him 'ready' is when he loses badly to Vader and gets his hand chopped off and is informed of what's really going on. Luke won fairly spectacularly in episode 4 let's not forget. The middle bit is always where the hero gets their ass handed to them, so look forward to that in episode 8 where Rey will almost certainly lose her fight against Kylo, but that's the formula and it always has been.
And Anikin is even a bigger case. The whole time from kid to young adult is spent training under masters. And even he loses his first boss fight.
He and obi-wan both lost their big boss fight.... in episode 2. The sequal, wherein the heroes lose as per formula. And again, Kylo Ren is not Count 'Sauraman' Duku the great and vaunted saber duelist, he's Kylo Ren.
Don't know why you keep insisting 4 hours of exposure to a light saber = years of training. even if its months of training its a far cry more plausible than what Rey does.
I've explained this, several times, it isn't my fault if you're ignoring me. Rey doesn't use her lightsaber like a sword. Watch the film. She uses it like the front half of her staff, a weapon she DOES HAVE TRAINING with, and she uses what she knows in the face of a deadly situation as we all would. But please continue to ignore me and assert that I'm insisting that she has years of training with lightsabers in four hours. Please, I'm really enjoying you're words coming out of my mouth.
(Frustrated edit: Gotta love how my computer keeps spell checking lightsaber automatically into 'Life Saver' Thanks for that microsoft, didn't know I needed to worry about auto correct on my laptop now!)
Now if you chalk this up to "magic" then Rey accomplishes nothing. Bad assery means nothing cause not only did she never work to earn what she has but her opponent was a wuss and easily beaten. Being homeless isn't much of an explanation given there are probably thousands of homeless on that desert planet and they hardly would rank as super jedi fighters.

I don't see how Rey does not fit the definition of "Mary Sue". She's handed her powers. She's handed a victory. She earns none of it.
Sorry but welcome to Star Wars. The heroes have space magic which means they basically accomplish nothing on the sheer force of their basic physiological capability. This was discussed quite often in the old 'legends' chronology. When an enemy brought a Ysilmiri to a Jedi fight, the Jedi lost their force advantage and quite unanimously SUCKED because they didn't know how to fight without the force telling them where attacks were coming. Now we can figure this may not be true anymore, but we can't be sure. Rey is the only homeless person on the desert planet who was force sensitive, sans what makes her special in the Star Wars universe. FORCE SENSITIVITY. If you don't like that, fine, but stop pretending like it hasn't always been the case and that it saves the rest of the Jedi from being in the same category as Rey.

Luke: Handed his powers (The force) Handed his victory (Ace X-Wing pilot with relatively little explanation)
Anakin: Handed his powers (The force) Handed his victory (COMPLETELY impossible ace Naboo pilot skills with absolutely no explanation save that he 'raced pods')

Both have an easy time of it the first go around, nothing's changed in the star wars formula except this.

Rey is a woman.
Last edited by Femina 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
Heroine Addict wrote:How is that different from Luke Skywalker having the skill to destroy the Death Star, pretty much blind, after five minutes of playing with a lightsaber and flying ball while blinded by a helmet?

Because the death star was a contrived story plot with a vent that went from the surface all the way to the reactor with no gates. Its bad story telling. I will 100% say that is bad story telling. That's a far cry from Luke in 3 hours beating Darth in a saber fight. And the destruction of the mothership in episode one was bad plot writing. And the destruction of the mega death star in the Force Awakens was bad plot. Again this massive base but it can be taken down by now antiquated x wing fighters and a few well placed explosives? Bad writing.

Are you really saying a lucky shot = beating an expert in a saber fight? Really?
Kylo isn't an expert. He's a part-trained stooge who throws tantrums in front of his own underlings. Plus he had just been shot.

Nobody is even trying to compare him to Dooku or Vader after seeing the movie.
Mr. X wrote: That's fine given a period of time has passed. Maybe months. Yes he would probably be exploring his abilities. Rey was JUST introduced to the concept of the Force and NO ONE had said they can levitate objects. How would she even know. Same with the mind trick. Again if say months or weeks had passed I could see Rey doing some of this. Not just after a few hours. And if she could do it that quickly how come she never did any of this when she was homeless on that desert planet? But its total bunks he goes from nothing to expert saber fighter in a few hours with NO TRAINING just some street smarts.

If this is all space magic then all of Rey's bad-assery is unearned and so she deserves no praise. Nothing is earned here. And if one argue Ren is of no real skill level then Rey CLEARLY didn't earn any kind of real win. She just beat a sniveling cry baby.

What exactly makes Rey a bad ass if its all magic?
Seeing as there's no sign of Google or Jedi training manuals lying around, Luke's "exploration" of his abilities would have been a bit of meditation, at best. There was no evidence that he had learned to do anything else magical in-between destroying the Death Star (without a targeting computer) and levitating his lightsaber.

Rey is adept at fighting with a staff. Luke, by comparison, was a bored farm boy who shat his pants when he saw sandpeople and barroom thugs.

Seriously how much proper training did Luke get in the trilogy?
A few minutes playing with a flying ball in IV.
Maybe three days doing levitation and gymnastics in a swamp in V.
One day at a Muppet funeral in VI.

Maybe four days in total with no exposure to proper trained Jedi Knights in-between getting less actual training than the guy who wipes down the tables in Burger King.

Yet it's somehow implausible that a homeless scavenger is a little more skilled than a farm boy with less training than an Arizona "psychic"?
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

Just pointing out that the movies don't take place like 10 minutes after the last one ended. Luke had been training/meditating and working on his force powers in the time between New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. Some of the books and comics cover this, showing the adventures Luke, Han, and Leia had in between the movies and they are quite good. Empire takes place chronologically about 3 years after New Hope, so Luke wasn't just sitting on his ass that entire time twiddling his thumbs plus he still had access to Obi-Wan's spirit. A lot of time passes between the 3 films and even by the end of Return of the Jedi, Luke is barely a Jedi Knight, which in the overall scheme of things is still a fairly weak Jedi. Jedi Knights were a dime a dozen in Old Republic times.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

So let's break down the arguments defending Rey.

1) Kylo is a wuss - So Kylo Ren is a wuss, not trained or poorly trained, a wimp. But this is bad for Rey since there is no accomplishment to beating him. She basically beat Matt the radar tech. No badassery for Rey.

2) Training doesn't matter - So the claim is Luke didn't have any real training which is false but lets say he didn't and that training is not needed to be a force wielder and be an expert saber person. Given this reasoning the entire Jedi order and Sith orders are meaningless and all training is a waste of time. If one merely gets ability through the force then we're at the Mary Sue quality of "born with" a gift. Again Rey loses bad assery here because she never earns her ability. Kind of like just being born pretty.

3) Its all due to space magic - Here is a huge problem. If Luke's flying is due to space magic and not training then Rey's flying is due to space magic and no training. If all accomplishments are due to an external gift then there can't be any bad assery cause Rey is just granted power which BTW is an element of Mary Sue, Mary Stu. And one can easily surmise that if within a few hours Rey can wield the force just upon learning about it and the force grants skills then ALL her skills are granted to her including her staff and fighting skills. Rey once more loses bad assery. Nothing is hers.

4) Luke flew a fighter and destroyed the death star with no experience - Ok fine. But then Rey's piloting skills are just as bogus. Again Rey loses bad assery. Her pilot skills are handed to her.

5) Rey survived by herself as a homeless person therefore bad assery - Big problem here. The other points clearly point out that if gifts from the force are handed to Rey then Rey's survival is probably due MORE to the force than her actually accomplishing anything. Plus the planet appears to have plenty of homeless who survive and don't have space magic. Another fail for Rey. Added to this Rey sucks at surviving. How old is this girl? She has staff skill, fighting skill, mechanical knowledge enough to improve star ships, can pilot star ships EXPERTLY... so why is this girl scavenging? Why is she not a pilot or a mechanic or an engineer or even has a job. Yes there is the plot she is waiting for her parents but she work in the mean time. She is super uber expert with space magic gifts after all. Heck she could even be a prostitute, a bouncer, a business owner... but all she does is dig up scrap for crappy food hand outs. She's not even helping anyone else.

So we're at an impasse. Rey cannot be considered bad ass if any or all these points are true. If she does not need training then any training she gets from Luke is meaningless. Any accomplishment she has is due to space magic and none on her own. Her beating of Kylo is meaningless since he such a collosal wimp. Bad assery ahs to mean something. Accomplishment. Defeating powerful foes. Her fight is a hollow nothing. Like Indiana Jones she doesn't even add to the story.

WHERE is the bad-assery? How is this character NOT a Mary Sue? Handed power. No real accomplishment. No strife attaining abilities. How is this not merely being born pretty or privileged?
Disciple
Stories Mod
Stories Mod

Uhhh... just a reminder that "not a badass" =/= Mary Sue.

By the way, the impression I've always had is that "Mary Sue" implies the overall story would be better off without the character in question. But a lot of pro-Rey AND anti-Rey fans concede that Episode VIII had a story that was rotten from the bottom up, so... I dunno, Rey's not a Sue but still sucks as a character?

EDIT: Wow that's not a good post count to land on.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Mr. X wrote: No strife attaining abilities.
I don't think you can say that if she has grown up as a scavenger, not knowing where your next meal is coming from must surely count as 'strife' when compared with Aunt Beru just dishing it up for you.

And the point isn't that Kylo Ren is a wimp, its that he's crap as a Jedi/Sith lord
The one thing driven home in the films is that the Force is all about control, both self control as in keeping your anger in check and control of the midi chlorians (I have no idea how to spell made up words) to get them to do stuff for you.

The scene where Kylo trashes his room like a petulant teenager SHOWS he isn't in control - his anger is - thats clearly a weakness that can be exploited by anyone fighting him, not just a Jedi. If that's a street-savvy girl who has roughed it a bit, well, hey why not?

But lads you all just need to get out more... :whistle:
Last edited by tallyho 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Disciple
Stories Mod
Stories Mod

tallyho wrote:But lads you all just need to get out more... :whistle:
But the sun is outside.

It gives people cancer.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

The sun emits radiation and as any comic book fan knows, that gives you special abilities.

My own superpower is that I can dance on tables for women near airports....

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I'm not done with my vault 88 build yet.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:So let's break down the arguments defending Rey.
WHERE is the bad-assery? How is this character NOT a Mary Sue? Handed power. No real accomplishment. No strife attaining abilities. How is this not merely being born pretty or privileged?
First of all a character can be a bad ass AND a Mary Sue. I'm not sure where that idea comes from that low levels of badassdom are somehow indicators that a character is a Mary Sue or if that's even what you were implying. In fact, more often than not being the Bad Ass of a group makes someone the most generic part of an action film. Action heroes in general are not a diverse bunch. They're one lining, gun firing pop culture machines.

Second, there can be no argument that Rey was born privileged in comparison with the genre. Pretty sure, but privileged is a no go. She was privileged with the FORCE yes, and nothing else. Just like the rest of the Star Wars heroes. So you can't argue that Rey was somehow better off in life than Luke or Anakin were at the start of their respective trilogies. She was definitely worse off than Luke, and it's difficult to tell just how much being a slave really weighed on Anakin when we meet him the first time cause the prequels suck at storytelling.

See the biggest issue I think you've got here is that you're trying to find some kind of all encompassing logic in a sci-fi fantay story when you rarely find that kind of certainty even in films that are SUPPOSED to be hyper realistic. The whole Dark Knight trilogy lost all semblance of reality by the end of the third film and that was a series marketed on its groundbreaking realism for a superhero series.

The medium is called fantasy for a reason. Space magic, destined heroes, magic weapons, they are all often inherently similar entities that once you start to pick apart start to look similar in a mechanical structure. Everyone KNOWS that Star Wars is a little ridiculous. We love Star Wars anyway. Hell most of us big fans stuck it out even through the prequels we love it so much. If you LOVE Star Wars, it doesn't help you to dwell on all the little things that are wrong with it unless you believe they are MAJOR. Every genre has their gimmicks and failings, and either you can suspend your disbelief or you can't. Everything wrong with Rey in TFA are static concepts that have always existed in the fantasy genre. If you can't stand Rey but you CAN stand Luke, you might want to really examine the reasons why as they both are prime examples of the Heroes Journey. Rey just has only started hers. Luke's is finished.

We aren't really here to discuss if she's a great Star Wars hero though as much as the argument seems to have swung that way. We're here to discuss the Mary Sue. Rey is no different from her fellow Star Wars heroes, except in that she is female. That Gary Stu He-Men and Supermen, etc. don't GET called out is because to do so hampers their fans enjoyment. Rey gets called out by the people who would RATHER she be Luke Skywalker version 2 with a slightly different name and background. The only really notable instantaneous gut instinctive difference between Rey and the rest of the Star Wars headliners is, perhaps not in your case, and certainly not in everyone's case, but unfortunately commonly pointed out is that she is a female. Nothing else matters to many MANY people. The instant she was announced as the lead there were already 'SJW' slurs flinging left and right without a fuck given to give it a chance first. We see this all the time. We're seeing it in the Rogue One trailer over in the Youtube comments. Nobody there, for instance, can make any sort of legitimate arguments that they are ready and willing to give EVERYONE male/female white or otherwise a fair and equal chance until proven guilty if the merest indication of a female lead makes the film a SJW pandering puff piece in their brain right off the bat with nothing else to go by.

As for me. I don't personally consider Luke a Gary Stu anymore than I consider Rey to be. I am a fan of Star Wars, and the fantasy genre in general, so dwelling to much on the tribbles of the genre are only deterrents to my enjoyment of the series that don't serve much value unless I want to be depressed about my choices in geeking. The thing to remember is, no matter where you chose to put your interests, there will always be quibbles. The killjoys are just the ones that just HAVE to point it all out, and I'm not picking on you here, we've all been a killjoy here because anyone reading this dispute will almost certainly wish they hadn't. Human beings are depressive animals in that way.

As to the simple question of WHY I don't agree with you about this, it's because Rey is a different enough character from Luke not to feel like I'm watching the same character over again. She has her own internal struggles (Which is really the only place where Star Wars heroes get to differentiate themselves in my opinion) that are different from Luke, she has her own hangups and fears. It's enough, to me, and she feels like a unique enough character to me that she doesn't fit the TRUE definition of Mary Sue, and I had no trouble at all believing that from the background we are presented for her, that she could do the things that she did in the film thus exonerating her, in as much as one can exonerate ANY fantasy hero who was ever invented, from the pop culture definition of Mary Sue.

Clearly it wasn't for you. Clearly you needed something more. I'm sorry that's the case and that you couldn't enjoy what I thought was a push in the right direction for the series post Prequel catastrophe.

If you want to ask me what I believe TFA's BIGGEST most glaringly huge problem is.... it's that it is essentially centered around yet another Death Star.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Femina wrote:
If you want to ask me what I believe TFA's BIGGEST most glaringly huge problem is.... it's that it is essentially centered around yet another Death Star.
Ye-ah, you may wanna rethink going to see Rogue One then... :laugh:

Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
Femina wrote:
Ye-ah, you may wanna rethink going to see Rogue One then... :laugh:
*sigh* Yeah. I remember just recently that got brought up and for some reason it only just then hit me how clever they were in tricking me into being excited about another film about a G*D D*&N Death Star. At least this one is about 'The' Death Star and not like... another one. Rogue One looks exciting for better reasons than the Death Star, that's for sure.
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

tallyho wrote:
Mr. X wrote: No strife attaining abilities.
I don't think you can say that if she has grown up as a scavenger, not knowing where your next meal is coming from must surely count as 'strife' when compared with Aunt Beru just dishing it up for you.

And the point isn't that Kylo Ren is a wimp, its that he's crap as a Jedi/Sith lord
The one thing driven home in the films is that the Force is all about control, both self control as in keeping your anger in check and control of the midi chlorians (I have no idea how to spell made up words) to get them to do stuff for you.

The scene where Kylo trashes his room like a petulant teenager SHOWS he isn't in control - his anger is - thats clearly a weakness that can be exploited by anyone fighting him, not just a Jedi. If that's a street-savvy girl who has roughed it a bit, well, hey why not?

But lads you all just need to get out more... :whistle:
Not really true on the "control" thing with the force. I guess it depends on what side you are on but most sith embrace their anger and it makes them incredibly powerful, almost unbeatable by the Jedi at times. The angrier they get the more power they draw. Only reason Luke was able to disable Vader in ROTJ was because he gave into his anger which overwhelmed Vader and allowed him to chop off his hand. Dooku mopped the floor with Obi-Wan and Anakin twice, only the second time Anakin got angry seeing Obi-Wan hurt/in danger, got pissed and then kicked Dooku's ass in short fashion. Anakin also got his ass handed to him by Asajj Ventress on Yavin-4, but then gave into his anger and quickly turned the tide and overwhelmed her. Anger is a Sith's best friend, so saying Ren gets mad as a Sith Lord means he's weak is complete rubbish. Mace Windu was one of the most powerful Jedi in history, mainly because he tapped into the Dark Side and his anger for some of his force abilities.

The thing you said about Kylo lacking self control could also be said for Vader when he just gets pissed and force chokes/kills random characters because he feels like it or because they screw up, but that isn't the case with Vader as he's one of the most powerful Sith ever.

I'm just going to chalk up the whole Ren/Rey thing to the god awful horrible writing that was in the film, but again my biggest issue with Rei is how easily it all comes to her in terms of the force and using her powers right off the bat. I guess my biggest issue is I'm a huge Star Wars fan and fan of the lore, which covers more than just the films. I can see how someone looking at just the movies wouldn't be able to see it from my perspective, but I find it odd that Luke and Anakin both spend years/decades training between the timelines in the films just to reach the level of Jedi Knight, and Rei shows that same proficiency in a matter of days just from touching a lightsaber hilt.

Honestly I would have rather seen them have Rey fight Kylo with a vibroblade or vibrosword, similar to the weapon the stormtrooper uses to show Fin what a novice he is. Then it would have been a bit more believable given her proficiency with a staff and given a more unique take on the fight showing a different type of weapon from that era. I can totally get Rey being a tough streetwise scavenger mechanic pilot thing, and enjoyed her character for most of the film, up until the part she learns a jedi mind trick in 5 minutes. After that I just kind of lost interest. I don't think it has anything to do with her being a strong female character that gets space magic, I think for me it was more to do with the terrible writing the 2nd half of the movie had along with several other cringeworthy moments.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Totally wrong mate. The only way Luke was able to overwhelm Vader was because it was in the script. :thumbup:

It ain't reality guys don't worry about it :laugh: and yes they (Sith) use anger BUT THEY USE IT - THEY DIRECT, IT THEY CONTROL WHO THEY USE IT AGAINST - THEY DON'T JUST LASH OUT IN ALL DIRECTIONS LIKE REN DID. (CAPS ARE FOR EMPHASIS)

Thank god there wasn't a fish tank in his room or we would have had a tragedy.

There's no point analysing anything in Star Wars when the main motivation for getting a character to turn against everything he knew and believed in and destroying the entire order of the universe, killing friends and colleagues and massacring children was because he was having bad dreams FFS ;)
Anakin is not much more than a disgruntled postal worker going apeshit. :yes:

Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:Totally wrong mate. The only way Luke was able to overwhelm Vader was because it was in the script. :thumbup:

It ain't reality guys don't worry about it :laugh: and yes they (Sith) use anger BUT THEY USE IT - THEY DIRECT, IT THEY CONTROL WHO THEY USE IT AGAINST - THEY DON'T JUST LASH OUT IN ALL DIRECTIONS LIKE REN DID. (CAPS ARE FOR EMPHASIS)

Thank god there wasn't a fish tank in his room or we would have had a tragedy.

There's no point analysing anything in Star Wars when the main motivation for getting a character to turn against everything he knew and believed in and destroying the entire order of the universe, killing friends and colleagues and massacring children was because he was having bad dreams FFS ;)
Anakin is not much more than a disgruntled postal worker going apeshit. :yes:
Plus there was the promise of an immortality magic spell to ensure the bad dreams never come true. Talk about gullible!

On our planet, Anakin would be the sort of person who responds to the pop-ups for "binary options" scamware and buys healing crystals from "psychics".
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Heroine Addict wrote: On our planet, Anakin would be the sort of person who responds to the pop-ups for "binary options" scamware and buys healing crystals from "psychics".
essentially what you are saying is that the whole sorry mess of star wars' genocidal pan galactic civil war and the deaths of billions could have been avoided if the Jedi had just had an entrance exam instead of some creepy old men sitting in a tower deciding which children they were going to snatch away from their parents based on how forcey they felt
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

^^^ OR if Anakin had had a better mattress

Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The sad thing is that there could have been a powerful story of Anakin being indoctrinated to have an ideological hatred of the Jedi. Instead, we ended up with him committing genocide on the strength of the shady wizard Darth Suspicious hinting that he might be able to make Padme live forever.
cdrei
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

It sort of seems like 'Mary Sue' is the general term used for the broader category, but more specific terms and ideas exist within that category. Every Marty Stu, every Anti-Sue, is a Mary Sue, but not vice versa.

I always sort of wonder, should the plural be Marys Sue, instead of Mary Sues?

No, that's stupid, isn't it? It's not like Attorneys General. Umm.

I recently spent a good deal of time reading all the Mary Sue and related entries, over at TVTropes. Canon Defilement, all that stuff. This, as part of the process of accepting that I write fan fiction that falls into the Mary Sue category. Sad, sad. Sigh. But. One of the entries notes that there is some debate about whether the Mary Sue concept can even be applied to genres, such as superhero fiction, which are essentially about wish-fulfillment already. I think it can be done, with a work that adequately derails the characters and their world, but perhaps it's not as easy as in other genres.

I'm not convinced that an audience identification character introduced into an existing franchise by those who own and control that franchise can even be a Mary Sue. The entire concept of the Sue revolves around derailing an established continuity, using a character the author likes too well and the audience doesn't like well enough. If I write a Supergirl story about how she's caught in some weird accident with an author avatar character, allowing him to steal some of her power and enter into and alter her life in unlikely ways, that's the stuff of the Mary Sue and Canon Defilement realm. But if I invent my own characters and do the same thing, even with a Planet of Expies treatment of the existing genre, I'm writing my own stuff, with its own focus and tone. If a new head writer takes over Doctor Who and shifts the treatment of the Doctor or introduces a Sue-like companion, it can't be Mary Sue or Canon Defilement, because the head writer is in control of the franchise and gets to decide how it develops. If George Lucas introduces Annoying Character X, who happens to tick off most of the Mary Sue checklist boxes and proceeds to steal the stories from other characters, he's doing damage to his own franchise, but Annoying Character X can't be a Sue -- because Lucas decides what is and isn't valid. If Lucas then sells the franchise to Mega-conglomerate Y and they do the same sorts of things to the franchise, it still isn't Mary Sue stuff, because they now decide what's canon.

Not, umm, not to be contentious about it, or anything. My comments on these threads always seem to exist at a tangent to the main discussion. I merely offer my thoughts. The Mary Sue is really a fascinating concept, in fan fiction.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

what we need is a handy guide
Attachments
marysue guide.jpg
marysue guide.jpg (27.47 KiB) Viewed 4098 times
cdrei
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

If everyone's Mary Sue, then no one is.

Which means, umm.

Issue number one of Planet of the Sues. In this issue, everyone dies! But only after they all engage in a bizarre struggle to control the story. But then, twist. It all happened because Hateful Enemy Guy, himself an author identification character and a Sue, has zapped all the goodies with a Sue-ifying Ray. He's the only Sue left standing, so now the continuity is his. But he's all alone, and pretty boring once there are no other characters to play off of. Series cancelled.

Man, I gotta stop posting places when I'm full of too much coffee.

[Edit: Too many Effs.]
Last edited by cdrei 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

to be fair, Warner Bros might pick that up as a script