Save Net Neutrality

Topics, links and pics that are interesting, weird, or irrelevant!
athenaartemis
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

A Bedtime Story

"Daddy tell me a nighty night story about the good old days."

"Okay sweetheart. Once upon a time there was an internet that didn't cost $ 29.99 a day to use."
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The head of the fcc is ex verizon, I don't think you're going to save this

Meanwhile in europe the citizens of the 27 countries that make the EU have the Telecoms Single market regulation (important to have regulation not directive) which means that ISPs are prohibited from blocking or slowing down of Internet traffic, except where necessary.

The exceptions are limited to: traffic management to comply with a legal order, to ensure network integrity and security, and to manage congestion, provided that equivalent categories of traffic are treated equally. The provisions also enshrine in EU law a user’s right to be “free to access and distribute information and content, run applications and use services of their choice”.

Brexit is probably going to roundly fcuk this up in the UK since the former home office minister now PM hates the internet and has various spying powers so she can police cheap using twitter (how's that going?). The US and UK are facing an internet future that looks like the rail network, dxpensive, slow and roundly derided.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

They tried this shit twice before and backed off hard when they saw the U.S. citizenship didn't want it. They keep coming back though and this time it was actually said 'We won't be intimidated by numbers this time' (meaning number of people against the concept) which I find just so soooooo Trump's America. Like, yeah who cares what all the people you're supposed to be representing want right? This isn't their country or anything.
Disciple
Stories Mod
Stories Mod

Actually, I was wondering about that... has the Orange One made statements on this, either way? This is one issue where I find his stance to be genuinely unpredictable; he's as 1% as they come, but he does have a populist, live-and-let-live image to maintain...
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

lionbadger wrote:
6 years ago
The head of the fcc is ex verizon, I don't think you're going to save this

Meanwhile in europe the citizens of the 27 countries that make the EU have the Telecoms Single market regulation (important to have regulation not directive) which means that ISPs are prohibited from blocking or slowing down of Internet traffic, except where necessary.

The exceptions are limited to: traffic management to comply with a legal order, to ensure network integrity and security, and to manage congestion, provided that equivalent categories of traffic are treated equally. The provisions also enshrine in EU law a user’s right to be “free to access and distribute information and content, run applications and use services of their choice”.

Brexit is probably going to roundly fcuk this up in the UK since the former home office minister now PM hates the internet and has various spying powers so she can police cheap using twitter (how's that going?). The US and UK are facing an internet future that looks like the rail network, dxpensive, slow and roundly derided.
Let's say that clips4sale can't or isn't allowed to pay the blackmail to get “priority access” under the proposed system. Wouldn't that mean that even the fastest European connection would download from c4s at a snail's pace?

I suspect a lot of companies will need to switch to servers outside the US.
Last edited by Heroine Addict 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
6 years ago
A suspect a lot of companies will need to switch to servers outside the US.
Dutch are probably rubbing their hands together in glee at the potential expansion to the already huge cloud server hub in Amsterdam
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Disciple wrote:
6 years ago
Actually, I was wondering about that... has the Orange One made statements on this, either way? This is one issue where I find his stance to be genuinely unpredictable; he's as 1% as they come, but he does have a populist, live-and-let-live image to maintain...
I don't think he has personally made any statements about it. But he doesn't have to. He appointed the asshole who is doing it - and whether he knew it or not, he's basically screwed us all.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Unfortunately for us all, we live in interesting times.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).