Wonder Woman' director slams James Cameron's 'inability to understand' the film

General discussions about superheroines!
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

LESLEY MESSER,Good Morning America

'Wonder Woman' director slams James Cameron's 'inability to understand' the film
Good Morning America LESLEY MESSER,Good Morning America 1 hour 21 minutes ago
Reactions Like Reblog on Tumblr Share Tweet Email
When "Wonder Woman" landed the number-one spot on its opening weekend with a haul of more than $100 million, fans cheered that the success of the film, which was directed by Patty Jenkins, was a victory for women everywhere.

Director James Cameron isn't so sure about that.

In a new interview with the Guardian newspaper Cameron said that the protagonist of the film, actress Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman, was "an objectified icon."

PHOTO: Gal Gadot in a scene from 'Wonder Woman.' (Clay Enos/Warner Bros. Entertainment/AP Photo)
“All of the self-congratulatory back-patting Hollywood’s been doing over 'Wonder Woman' has been so misguided," he said. "It’s just male Hollywood doing the same old thing! I’m not saying I didn’t like the movie but, to me, it’s a step backwards."
In his critique of the movie, Cameron pointed to the female lead in "The Terminator," which he directed, as a better heroine.

"Sarah Connor was not a beauty icon. She was strong, she was troubled, she was a terrible mother, and she earned the respect of the audience through pure grit," he said. "To me, [the benefit of characters like Sarah] is so obvious. I mean, half the audience is female!”

Patty Jenkins on her 13-year journey to make 'Wonder Woman'

Critics rave about Gal Gadot in 'Wonder Woman,' say film is upbeat superhero deviation

"Wonder Woman," which set a new record for an opening weekend of a female-directed feature, has been lauded for inspiring young girls and dispelling the myth that female-driven movies aren't as lucrative as those with male leads.

In a tweet late Thursday night, Jenkins fired back at Cameron, stating that "if women have to always be hard, tough and troubled to be strong, and we aren't free to be multidimensional or celebrate an icon of women everywhere because she is attractive and loving, then we haven't come very far."

"James Cameron's inability to understand what 'Wonder Woman' is, or stands for, to women all over the world is unsurprising as, though he is a great filmmaker, he is not a woman," she wrote. I believe women can and should be EVERYTHING just like male lead characters should be. There is no right and wrong kind of powerful woman. And the massive female audience who made the film a hit it is, can surely choose and judge their own icons of progress."

Making "Wonder Woman" was a passion project for Jenkins, who fought for more than a decade to get it made. Fighting stereotypes, she told ABC News prior to the film's release, was a tough process.

"It got lost in this strange belief system that action movies were only for boys and that superheroes were only for boys," she explained. "[But] comics have always had a bunch of great female characters and a bunch of great female superheroes."

"I think [Wonder Woman] is the grand, classic superhero ... of which there are very few," Jenkins continued. "Many of the superheroes stand for different, smaller things. She is a hero: uncomplicated, loving, kind. Also sexy, cool, tough, badass."

Her tenacity paid off. Warner Bros. announced last month that a sequel to the movie will hit theaters on Dec. 13, 2019.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Anyone who produced the nauseating Avatar should not throw stones
arkane
Henchman
Henchman

MightyHypnotic wrote:
6 years ago

In a tweet late Thursday night, Jenkins fired back at Cameron, stating that "if women have to always be hard, tough and troubled to be strong, and we aren't free to be multidimensional or celebrate an icon of women everywhere because she is attractive and loving, then we haven't come very far."

"James Cameron's inability to understand what 'Wonder Woman' is, or stands for, to women all over the world is unsurprising as, though he is a great filmmaker, he is not a woman," she wrote. I believe women can and should be EVERYTHING just like male lead characters should be. There is no right and wrong kind of powerful woman. And the massive female audience who made the film a hit it is, can surely choose and judge their own icons of progress."
The character is beautiful, and stronger than a man, because the author who made it (a man, by the way, but at lest in part inspired by the women in his life) made it this way. So the director of the movie has a point here, and nevermind the "objectification" issue. I didn't like this film, but it was true to the character enough.

The end of her statement seems to say that the judgement should be made by the female audience, though. Here I disagree.

Anyway, Cameron remains one of the greatest directors of all times.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

How is Henry Cavil not objectified?
Ninja J.
Henchman
Henchman

Or Chris Pratt, or Hugh Jackman or Chris Hemmsworth or Chris Evans or Chris Pine. How come being sexy or good looking or attractive such negatives? I guess now the only way to make a superhero movie without criticism is to have the lead roles played by a bunch of toothless meth heads. And why is every sexy dude named Chris? Fuck.
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

I enjoyed the movie. Having said that, both Sarah Conner and Ripley from his films were much better heroines on the big screen. Wonder Woman is an icon in her own right, but if we're talking just movies, I'd go with the other two as strong and realistic female icons. Just my opinion. I'd also like to see some demographics to back up her claim, as I'd be willing to bet it was 50/50 on males to females in terms of who went to see WW and made it a financial success, and quite honestly I'm not sure I've run across any women that saw the movie, it's mostly the guys who were talking about it.

"It got lost in this strange belief system that action movies were only for boys and that superheroes were only for boys," she explained. "[But] comics have always had a bunch of great female characters and a bunch of great female superheroes."

That is also simply not true. There have been plenty of action movies with women as lead, they just don't often sell very well at the box office, hence why you don't see too many of them anymore. Flops like Catwoman and Elektra are far more common than gems like Wonder Woman, ALIEN/ALIENS, etc. which is why it took her so long to get the flim made, superheroine movies just historically have done absolutely awful in Hollywood.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I dont see how she can say a lot of that when its just Cameron's opinion - he prefers his type of hero is all, and hes perfectly within his rights to. How patronising is it to say he doesnt understand the character because like,you know, he's a guy and obviously none of us guys can ever appreciate the intricacies of a female character. Lets not forget this 'icon of women everywhere' got a huge amount of criticism last year when she was appointed as a UN Ambassador as being an unrealistic and unattainable role model for women to follow. Now apparently its fine again because she can make lots of money for people.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
JohnFeer
Henchman
Henchman

Program Note, Ridley Scott and to a lesser extent writer Dan O'Bannon created the character of Warrant Officer Ripley, Cameron just upped the firepower when it came time to execute a sequel...
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

It's kind of strange this is coming from James Cameron who made one of the best pilot ever with a supersexy powerful girl (Dark Angel, feat. Jessica Alba !)
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
6 years ago
I dont see how she can say a lot of that when its just Cameron's opinion - he prefers his type of hero is all, and hes perfectly within his rights to. How patronising is it to say he doesnt understand the character because like,you know, he's a guy and obviously none of us guys can ever appreciate the intricacies of a female character. Lets not forget this 'icon of women everywhere' got a huge amount of criticism last year when she was appointed as a UN Ambassador as being an unrealistic and unattainable role model for women to follow. Now apparently its fine again because she can make lots of money for people.
I think that was Linda Carter who was rejected due to her "size". But you bring up a great point. Aren't icons SUPPOSED to be larger than life? The best. Lofty goals.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... -1.2909153

What I find ironic/funny here is women who get upset when "men" legislate abortion and claim their bodies are being legislated are now being told by a UN council who they can or cannot idolize. Women need to tell everyone to go F*CK off.
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

Meh. Seems a mountain out of a molehill.

Ripley and Sarah Conner come from the horror genre, which had well established the last-girl-standing trope by the time Alien and Terminator came along. Superheroines in the superhero genre have been a muddle. Ripley and Sarah Conner have also had multiple turns to develop their legend and rise from that clear trope; Diana had a lot of mixed baggage and we just got her origin story. Different challenges. All satisfying results.

We can engage in comparison and contrast without competition. Cameron deserves credit for developing a pair of iconic heroines. Jenkins deserves credit for adapting an iconic heroine in a minefield. There are so many ways Wonder Woman could have gone bad -- hell, look at how long it took to get to the big screen at all. And she didn't have to put on leather pants and a motorcycle jacket to get here. Or make constant jokes deflecting or defusing emotion.

And no, she's not the first good superheroine on film, or free of tropes that can be troublesome (Born Sexy Yesterday), but she gave us bare shoulders and legs and love as a heroic ideal. Thanks to this movie, women -- and men -- will be allowed to be more varied and interesting in superhero movies, and blockbusters, and everywhere else.
shevek
Producer
Producer

tallyho wrote:
6 years ago
Tallyho...there was a lot more than just unrealistic body type behind the UN staffers' rejection of Wonder Woman as honorary Ambassador. There was anti-Zionism, anti-Americanism, anti-capitalism, and anti-white sentiment all mixed up in that. Don't want to get too political outside the Misc zone, but let's be honest here about the UN staffers' typical political leanings.
Leadpoison
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

And James Cameron totally didn't objectify Sarah Connor's tits in the first Terminator during her fuck scene. The nipples were for story development after all.
shevek
Producer
Producer

helstar wrote:
6 years ago
It's kind of strange this is coming from James Cameron who made one of the best pilot ever with a supersexy powerful girl (Dark Angel, feat. Jessica Alba !)
Dark Angel was supersexy, no doubt. But there are inklings that James Cameron may have stolen the idea for Dark Angel from the supersexy Argentinean heroine, Cybersix, The creator of Cybersix actually filed a lawsuit against Cameron but ultimately could not afford to pursue it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybersix
drh1966
Sargeant
Sargeant

While I think that Cameron is a total douchebag who needs to check his ego, he really isn't far off on the "objectified icon" thing. What forum is this discussion taking place in???
"There's no feeling quite as exciting as that of having a helpless superheroine in your arms"
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I mean... I don't want to go TO far here because Cameron is entitled to his opinions about what he finds to be a good action heroine BUT at the same time he shared his opinion broadly to the world via the interview... and when you choose to share your opinion so broadly it isn't so much that your opinion isn't valid or anything, just that you've sort of ASKED for the thing to be analyzed now because everyone else in the world also has opinions and if they are in disagreement Cameron can't really ask that his opinion not be scrutinized right? He chose to share it, most likely knowing that it wasn't going to be all that popular an opinion... so I don't feel all that guilty in then asking 'WTF Cameron?' I'd love to hear the reasoning behind why he thought he needed to share this but I also sort of hope he just leaves it alone... He can't actually respond at this point with anything other than a 'yeah I guess I can see Jenkins side of things as well' without sounding a bit like an asshat anyway.

He's dead wrong if he thinks Sarah Conor wasn't something of a 'sex symbol' when T1 and 2 came out. Her attractiveness relative to Gal Gadot notwithstanding, she wasn't portrayed as a plain Jane or anything here and I think it's simplest to say that I think Jenkins hits the nail on the head right at the end there. It's basically up to the girls who watch WW to decide for themselves who they want to see as their heroes. It's not really Cameron's duty to say 'I think the Sarah Conor whose abandoned her femininity entirely due to her terrifying experiences and who became a terrible mother and a great soldier' is a better role model/anti-role model or character than WW anymore than it is Jenkins duty or responsibility to say 'all girls should be like WW' These things are for individuals to decide themselves.