Small Rant about Heroine Universe.

Topics, links and pics that are interesting, weird, or irrelevant!
Doctor Outcome
Overlord
Overlord

Hey gang,

I know the forums aren't the place for our personal shiznit but I gotta get something off my cleavage before the weekend starts (was gonna try to wait till the weekend to discuss this but I can't wait that long). I'll do my best to keep this respectful, but that may be a tad bit hard giving how I'm feeling right now. (Consider this a warning)

*Moderators, please understand these are my personal feelings and thoughts, nothing more.*

As you all may know, everyone's favorite veteran fetish superstar Christina Carter has gone back to working at Heroine Universe this past year.
Miss Christina Carter.jpg
Miss Christina Carter.jpg (52.73 KiB) Viewed 4130 times
First the good:
I am very, very proud and happy to hear that Christina has gone back to one of her favorite producers for fetish work and that she's rejoined with old favorites like Tomiko, Kobe Lee and Dragonlilly and is also being joined by newcomers like Tilly McReese, Nyssa Nevers and another newbie named Miss Kylie. So far, it sounds like Christina's return has really set in motion a lot of custom work for her and a handful of people that she's been working with, specifically Miss McReese. Plus, those who have wanted to request custom work with Christina are now able to have those dreams realized.

Christina has made a lot of people happy with her return to 'Heroine Universe' and that makes me happy as well to hear that she's lending her talents after a long hiatus from 'Heroine Universe'.

Now the bad:
Now, you all know me, I'm usually a glass half-full kind of person and I always believe that a producer and a customer (fan) should have a mutual respect with each other when doing business. Unfortunately, it seems as though the producer of 'Heroine Universe' has kinda lost sight of that for some reason. Ever since Christina's return he's been behaving like a bit of a douche-bag when it comes to requests being made for her on the fan's behalf.

Now don't get me wrong, producers are gonna be busy with work and they can't get to every request that comes across their desk (plus the guy running the store is a full-time worker and he does this fetish thing part-time). I've acknowledged those things but I still don't think this guy should behave like a douche to people who have supported him and his work for years.

What kinda kick-started this for me was a few people were sending me email complaints about the treatment they've been getting from the H.U. moderator. Like this for example:
H.U. rant.jpg
H.U. rant.jpg (150.83 KiB) Viewed 4130 times
Now the stalking thing is 'waaaay' out of line and when a fan does that, that's crossing the line and they deserve to get blocked. However, blocking someone for reposting a pic that they liked from you and trying to hold a decent conversation with you is just totally unprofessional. How is someone suppose to send you a custom request if you've blocked them on social media?

Plus, he's become paranoid and has started labeling people 'time bandits' or trolls whenever they don't see things his way and I'm like 'wtf?'

My homegirl tried to make contact with him about why he's doing that but he didn't seem it was relevant enough to merit a response and she got blocked for it.

Guys and girls, I don't like to rant about things like this but I think the H.U. moderator is going drunk from being 'power crazy' now that our lovely Christina has returned to his abode. I mean, I was one of many customers who had nothing but nice things to say about his work when Christina, Akira and Lady Diana were around but after hearing some of the stories and treatment that some of the people are getting from this guy, I'm very iffy about continuing to be a customer for this man.

It's all about the 'respect' and both sides have to show it, but what do you do when one side who you hope to have create your ideas for you decides to be so unprofessional that they would tweet something like this:
Seriously 'not' cool.jpg
Seriously 'not' cool.jpg (29 KiB) Viewed 4130 times
#respectthefans
'Underestimate your enemy in battle, odds are, you won't live to see another one'
Doctor Outcome
Overlord
Overlord

MightyHypnotic wrote:
6 years ago
dVDJiez.gif
MightyHypnotic, you're a professional producer, what should a fan or customer do when they have a situation with an overzealous producer like this?

I'm not asking you to judge or take sides, but what's the right course of action to take against something like this? I mean, the fan has to behave with a certain level of restraint but is it right for them to take this kind of abuse when they've supported the industry for so long with their hard-earned money?
'Underestimate your enemy in battle, odds are, you won't live to see another one'
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I order a lot of customs. Never ordered from HeroineUniverse, so I can't say anything about them, specifically.

But I have experienced this kind of behavior before from other producers. Here's my theory...

I think adult content producer spend a lot of time dealing with some very shady, dishonest people. They are constantly bombarded with people who are trying to screw them over in all sorts of ways - get customs for free, waste their time, etc. I'm sure there are lots of people out there who buy customs videos and then contest the charge on their credit card or try any other sccam they can think of. There are a lot of people who there who are just assholes and are always trying to put something over on someone else, and I think adult content producers get more than their fair share of dealing with those kinds of people.

I imagine it must be extremely difficult to deal with that kind of nonsense on a regular basis, and I can easily imagine how that kind of frustration could boil over into these kinds of rants. It must be a constant struggle for producers to maintain a cool, professional demeanor and not take out their frustration on their customers who are, in fact, honest decent people.

But... that's the business you are in. And if you don't like it, do something else.

There is no excuse for treating all of your customers like they are ALL assholes. That's just unacceptable and any producer who pulls that kind of crap on me will never see another dime from me ever again.

It's just bad business and I won't waste my time with such people. There are plenty of other producers out there who really care about making good quality videos and who put in a special effort to give you what you want and act in a friendly, professional manner.

Just recently, I ordered a custom from Janira Wolfe (not Super Heroine-related) and she was delightful to deal with.

Cali Logan has NEVER been anything but professional, friendly, and helpful and I've ordered customs from her repeatedly.

Primal has always been a pleasure to deal with and I've order multiple customs from them.

I get that if you want a particular model, you might be stuck dealing with a particular producer, so that sucks. But my advice is - go somewhere else and use a different model. It will save you a lot of aggravation in the long run.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Well, there's no contract until money changes hands. I opened the thread expecting the worst had happened to your hard-earned cash and was actually relieved to find it was just a guy being a bit of a dick.

His behavior seems extremely counter-productive. It's not going to deter the time-wasters and trolls. If anything, it will make them worse. Meanwhile, genuine customers (like yourself) will be much less likely to deal with him.

The guy has shat the bed and he didn't even get paid to do it by a scat fetishist.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't really have an opinion about other producers and how they handle their business.

I know doing customs is a lot of work and pressure which is why I don't do a lot of them. Maybe if I was in a simpler genre, like Taboo or something, it would be easier. But superheroine customs are the hardest of all. And shooting superheroine customs with a travelling model is tons of pressure. You only have one chance to get it right.

FIrst and foremost I think most producers want to make the customer happy. That's a lot of pressure right there, especially with a new customer. You have to have a lot of back and forth to make sure you get all the fetish elements right, and that takes a lot of time and effort.

But every sales business has tire kickers. It's part of doing business. If you really want a custom from a certain producer, try to be understanding and open up to them and say, look Im serious, here's what I want or looking for. If they are still not treating right then move on.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I'm disappointed to hear that the Time Bandits have being pestering a producer.

I wonder what sort of fetishes they say they "want" to order, but never order?
Attachments
Time Bandits, yesterday (or tomorrow).jpg
Time Bandits, yesterday (or tomorrow).jpg (70.41 KiB) Viewed 3971 times
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Which one is Peter Dinklage?
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Doctor Outcome
Overlord
Overlord

TIEnTEEZ wrote:
6 years ago
I order a lot of customs. Never ordered from HeroineUniverse, so I can't say anything about them, specifically.

But I have experienced this kind of behavior before from other producers. Here's my theory...

I think adult content producer spend a lot of time dealing with some very shady, dishonest people. They are constantly bombarded with people who are trying to screw them over in all sorts of ways - get customs for free, waste their time, etc. I'm sure there are lots of people out there who buy customs videos and then contest the charge on their credit card or try any other sccam they can think of. There are a lot of people who there who are just assholes and are always trying to put something over on someone else, and I think adult content producers get more than their fair share of dealing with those kinds of people.

I imagine it must be extremely difficult to deal with that kind of nonsense on a regular basis, and I can easily imagine how that kind of frustration could boil over into these kinds of rants. It must be a constant struggle for producers to maintain a cool, professional demeanor and not take out their frustration on their customers who are, in fact, honest decent people.

But... that's the business you are in. And if you don't like it, do something else.

There is no excuse for treating all of your customers like they are ALL assholes. That's just unacceptable and any producer who pulls that kind of crap on me will never see another dime from me ever again.

It's just bad business and I won't waste my time with such people. There are plenty of other producers out there who really care about making good quality videos and who put in a special effort to give you what you want and act in a friendly, professional manner.

Just recently, I ordered a custom from Janira Wolfe (not Super Heroine-related) and she was delightful to deal with.

Cali Logan has NEVER been anything but professional, friendly, and helpful and I've ordered customs from her repeatedly.

Primal has always been a pleasure to deal with and I've order multiple customs from them.

I get that if you want a particular model, you might be stuck dealing with a particular producer, so that sucks. But my advice is - go somewhere else and use a different model. It will save you a lot of aggravation in the long run.
Cali Logan and primal have been two people we've been wanting to send an idea too. Are any of your customs up at Cali's store, TieNTeez? Also, what did she charge for your requests?

thanks again for the pep talk my friend. :thumbup:
Doctor Outcome
Overlord
Overlord

Heroine Addict wrote:
6 years ago
Well, there's no contract until money changes hands. I opened the thread expecting the worst had happened to your hard-earned cash and was actually relieved to find it was just a guy being a bit of a dick.

His behavior seems extremely counter-productive. It's not going to deter the time-wasters and trolls. If anything, it will make them worse. Meanwhile, genuine customers (like yourself) will be much less likely to deal with him.

The guy has shat the bed and he didn't even get paid to do it by a scat fetishist.
LOL! I totally agree with what u say Heroine Addict. But in honesty, this didn't happen to me. It happened to people that I recommended to this guy. One of the people who got turned down by him got turned down because his idea was quote on quote 'too storylike.' I was like, 'what the hell does that have to do with anything? That's the whole point of custom requests: stories designed to lead up to the sexual activity in the story...period.'

Nyssa Nevers had no problem fulfilling the customer's request. Here's the link to the review I did on it:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=30243
Doctor Outcome
Overlord
Overlord

MightyHypnotic wrote:
6 years ago
I don't really have an opinion about other producers and how they handle their business.

I know doing customs is a lot of work and pressure which is why I don't do a lot of them. Maybe if I was in a simpler genre, like Taboo or something, it would be easier. But superheroine customs are the hardest of all. And shooting superheroine customs with a travelling model is tons of pressure. You only have one chance to get it right.

FIrst and foremost I think most producers want to make the customer happy. That's a lot of pressure right there, especially with a new customer. You have to have a lot of back and forth to make sure you get all the fetish elements right, and that takes a lot of time and effort.

But every sales business has tire kickers. It's part of doing business. If you really want a custom from a certain producer, try to be understanding and open up to them and say, look Im serious, here's what I want or looking for. If they are still not treating right then move on.
Thank you for the advice Mighty Hypnotic. I understand there's a lot of pressure in the industry with so much competition going on and I really do enjoy seeing fetish performers work for what they want. I just hope that they won't let a few bad apples keep them from maintaining a good connection with those who could bring them some interesting projects to create.
Doctor Outcome
Overlord
Overlord

Hey everybody,

I want to thank everyone again for the responses on this topic and we are grateful for the support. The info you've given will definitely help us to help our fellow colleagues who are looking to have their custom ideas created.

BTW, here's the link to the review that I did on the customer who's idea almost never came into fruition. Nyssa Nevers did a fantastic job on this custom request that got created.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=30243
Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

To start with, I'm not friends with Heroine Universe in any way, although we both use many of the same fetish models and he lives fairly close to me.

Now then...

Every producer has their own set of rules they follow. If times are good and the money is rolling in, a producer doesn't have to tolerate time wasters beyond a certain limit.... because literally they don't have time to put up with that. Money talks, and BS walks. If times are leaner, then the courtesy margin is extended ever-so-slightly. The less money you make, the more accommodating you should be as a producer.

There are people who email producers and have absolutely no interest in getting a custom, they just want to talk about it... and talk about it.... and talk about it. The only way you can have a conversation is if both people decide to have it. If one person decides that none of this is worth the time and the effort, I fully support anyone who breaks contact and says, "This discussion is over. I'm sure someone else can fulfill your custom request. Goodbye." -- At that point, you're done talking. People may consider that rude to break off contact, but I would opine that it's up to the other person to define what constitutes as a "waste of time." In the same way that Cracker Barrel tells you to either buy some food or get off of their rocking chairs and stop eating all of their free candy in the glass bowl by the cash register, I respect the right of producers to not humor EVERYONE who says they're a paying customer. Some of them simply... aren't.

Most fetish producers have a 3-email rule for new customers. After the third and final email, you either order the custom or you pay $50 to keep the email exchange going. At that point most people who have no intention of getting a custom are "cut off" and start to complain. I fully support this rule, as it separates the important grain from the useless chaff. If you can't say your idea in three emails or less, you're not to be taken seriously.

There is a published "private" page on Facebook and also on the internet where fetish producers go to talk and share information about time bandits, shitpotters, dickensians, and yoyoboys. There is even a database where everyone can compare modus operandi, fetish interests, and price quotes so that producers can stay well-informed of problem people in the customs industry. It's sort of like a forum for industry players to keep abreast of problem customers. I also believe there's a VERY long entry in there for "Doctor Outcome" (among other aliases) so yes, feel free to passive-aggressively complain on a forum board about being cut off by a fetish producer.
Dixon
Neophyte
Neophyte

Just curious, what do you mean by dickensian?
Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

A Dickensian is a customer who writes like Charles Dickens (Dickens lived in a time when authors were oftentimes paid by the word, not for the sum of the content.)

A Dickensian is someone who says "I would like a 10-minute custom, how much does that cost?" and you quote them a price of say.... $200. They then write you a six page script with ridiculous amounts of dialogue and action, something which obviously cannot be finished in ten minutes. The final product is closer to 20-minutes or even 30-minutes, but the producer has to eat that extra time as lost profit.

Dickensians are annoying because even after you complete everything on that list (and eat the extra time as money lost) the customer will want a second custom and will still want a ten minute custom for that $200 but will somehow give you a SEVEN page script the next time! It continues with the customer asking for more and more (without any adjustment in the price) until you finally include the phrase "If you send me your script and the time runs out before the script is finished, I am ending the story prematurely at the end of the 10 minutes." -- Which causes howling and pouting and so much sulking.
Blx
Elder Member
Elder Member

Twitter is an awful platform and should be avoided in general
Dixon
Neophyte
Neophyte

Thanks for the explanation Snakeshift. I can see what a pain it would be to work with someone like that. When I order customs, usually the producer looks at my script before quoting me a price.
Doctor Outcome
Overlord
Overlord

Shakeshift wrote:
6 years ago
To start with, I'm not friends with Heroine Universe in any way, although we both use many of the same fetish models and he lives fairly close to me.

Now then...

Every producer has their own set of rules they follow. If times are good and the money is rolling in, a producer doesn't have to tolerate time wasters beyond a certain limit.... because literally they don't have time to put up with that. Money talks, and BS walks. If times are leaner, then the courtesy margin is extended ever-so-slightly. The less money you make, the more accommodating you should be as a producer.

There are people who email producers and have absolutely no interest in getting a custom, they just want to talk about it... and talk about it.... and talk about it. The only way you can have a conversation is if both people decide to have it. If one person decides that none of this is worth the time and the effort, I fully support anyone who breaks contact and says, "This discussion is over. I'm sure someone else can fulfill your custom request. Goodbye." -- At that point, you're done talking. People may consider that rude to break off contact, but I would opine that it's up to the other person to define what constitutes as a "waste of time." In the same way that Cracker Barrel tells you to either buy some food or get off of their rocking chairs and stop eating all of their free candy in the glass bowl by the cash register, I respect the right of producers to not humor EVERYONE who says they're a paying customer. Some of them simply... aren't.

Most fetish producers have a 3-email rule for new customers. After the third and final email, you either order the custom or you pay $50 to keep the email exchange going. At that point most people who have no intention of getting a custom are "cut off" and start to complain. I fully support this rule, as it separates the important grain from the useless chaff. If you can't say your idea in three emails or less, you're not to be taken seriously.

There is a published "private" page on Facebook and also on the internet where fetish producers go to talk and share information about time bandits, shitpotters, dickensians, and yoyoboys. There is even a database where everyone can compare modus operandi, fetish interests, and price quotes so that producers can stay well-informed of problem people in the customs industry. It's sort of like a forum for industry players to keep abreast of problem customers. I also believe there's a VERY long entry in there for "Doctor Outcome" (among other aliases) so yes, feel free to passive-aggressively complain on a forum board about being cut off by a fetish producer.
Shakeshift, you’re one of many producers that I admire and respect and I have a feeling this rant has touched a ‘nerve’ in you. So in the words of Indiana Jones:
Indiana Jones apology.gif
Indiana Jones apology.gif (3 MiB) Viewed 3840 times
Seriously, please know that it wasn’t my intention to paint myself in a ‘negative’ light but based on what you’ve said it looks like I’m already on the sh*t list. But if that’s the price that one must pay for being a committed fan to this industry, then so be it. I’ll take the scrapes that come with being a ‘problem customer’ if that’s what it takes to be heard. But I also want to set the record straight on something so nothing gets misinterpreted:

I didn’t get cut off, *the people* who emailed me did. I’ve never ordered a custom from H.U., I’ve purchased the material that he displays in his clips4sale store nothing more. Plus, the newcomer who was trying to have his custom idea created had money and was all set and ready to pay upfront to have his idea created but they got tired of playing the 'waiting game' for a response and had to email the webmaster consistently just to make sure they didn’t miss getting on the ‘shoot’ list for customs (cause once that happens, it's all downhill from there). Then his idea was just flat-out denied because it seemed too ‘storylike’ (I’m still trying to figure out what a script being ‘storylike’ has to do with anything). His idea was only a page and a half with little dialogue, so that should have been pretty simple to create.

Now, at most, I’ll admit that I was out of line on this post (but I did warn that in advance) and I fully respect your rules and any other producer’s rules so long as the reasons are legit (and the reasons you’ve given are). Based on what Mighty Hypnotic and TieNTeez have said, producers are under a lot of pressure and don’t have time to waste with people who don’t take things seriously. I can roll with that, I respect that, I feel that. Producers shouldn't have their time wasted, period.

However, I still stand by my assessment on ‘mutual respect’ and while I’m all about the producers and the performers, I’m also all about the fans too. Their desires and dreams are what keep this industry going and I feel that's what's most important. Most times, they don’t mean to waste the producer’s time and there are a number of reasons why that happens:

-Customer has trouble suggesting the right performer for the job (some models don’t live in the same vicinity as others or some have retired.) Some newcomers are unaware that certain performers have or on the verge of retiring from the industry and for some, that may be a tough pill to swallow if they've enjoyed seeing that particular person perform.

-Insufficient funds (this is the biggest problem some fans face as some production companies may charge more than others and the customer may be on a budget and have to make what they have in their pocket work for their idea). If somebody demands something for free, yeah, then you can tell them to ‘kiss off’ or ‘piss off’ (whichever makes the producer or fetish performer feel good). But while I don’t believe in getting something for nothing, I do believe that as long as the fan can pay and they've kept the custom short, sweet and simple, their idea deserves a chance as long as their budget can allow it to be done. Most times, there are miscellaneous costs that the customer isn't aware of (cameraman, editing, etc.)

-The customer gets cold feet. (This happens from time to time as there have been stories of people ripping folks off. While it doesn’t just happen to the fans, it happens to the producer too as TieNTeez pointed out). So in a way, the fan needs some assurance that once the money exchanges hands that they’re going to get what they pay for and the producer needs assurance that the fan isn’t going to screw them over. But in the end, both sides are taking a chance which is why some people like Cali have an absolute 'all sales are final rule' which is a good method for producers to implement to avoid getting screwed.

Shakeshift, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I felt bad for the person whose idea got rejected and I just had to speak out on their behalf. I know this explanation doesn’t condone my earlier actions (and I don't expect it to) but…I hope it does explain to you and anyone else what I feel, how I feel and why I’m feeling it. The producer had a chance to make things right with this person and didn't exactly take the opportunity to do that and I just felt bad for the customer because they got 'turned away' when the life raft was at capacity. Plus, the H.U. moderator is someone I've admired for years and to hear about this just kinda had me in shock and awe.

Long story short, if the producer and the fan are going to make things personal for each other, it should be personal in a good way…not a bad one. As long as they have a mutual understanding of each other’s expectations, then it’s all good in da’ superheroine hood.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I can see how a lot of producers can get pissed off with "Dickensian" multi-page scripts. Nailing large sections of dialogue can be a cuntiferous task at the best of times. But the sort of fantastical technobabble and convoluted backstories that people write for the SH/SF/Fantasy genre are particularly hard to memorize.

Bear in mind that the fetish models are generally paid at a set rate for an agreed (and usually very small) amount of time. They haven't spent hours rehearsing the script and, in many cases, may not have even seen the whole thing until the day of the shoot.

On-screen captions can help with storytelling. Creating a comic-style establishing shot with the main exposition in a caption box is something that many producers can add in post-production fairly easily. In the unmade custom scripts that people have posted on the forum, I would say that as much as 90% of the dialogue is often redundant exposition. (And I'm guilty of doing this too.)

As writing generally requires "painting a picture" with words, too many custom scriptwriters will forget the intended medium and have characters explicitly state every little plot detail aloud. As if they're writing a text story. Yet a lot of that yakking is unnecessary in a visual medium such as video, where we can already see what's happening or have "continuity dumps" relegated to a caption box.

Also, KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid! How much of the dialogue actually serves the story being told on-screen? Aside from the added workload that superfluous dialogue gives the producer and cast, there's also the issue of the audience being distracted and bored by a load of convoluted monkeyspunk which wrecks the pacing.

It might help if more producers posted example scripts as a template of what can realistically be achieved in a one-day or half-day shoot. I strongly suspect that, tire-kickers aside, the vast majority of problems with customs are down to poor communication (from both sides) on what is expected.

Also, getting provisional approval from the desired model/actress needs to happen quickly. A member of this forum recently had amazing results in raising thousands of dollars for a group custom with a specific girl. However, during the six months the guy was busy trying to get support, the producer hadn't approached the chosen actress about whether she was prepared to do that much peril.

In the end, she wasn't willing to shoot anything so "demeaning". Fair enough. However, it seemed bad that the producer hadn't previously expressed reservations about the girl's likelihood to approve that script. (Surely he must have had an inkling that she wouldn't like it, after working with her on several previous videos?) Or he could have just asked her in Week 1 of the fundraising campaign and averted six months of stringing customers along.

All of which could have been cleared up quickly with a couple of emails.
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Doctor Outcome wrote:
6 years ago

Cali Logan and primal have been two people we've been wanting to send an idea too. Are any of your customs up at Cali's store, TieNTeez? Also, what did she charge for your requests?

thanks again for the pep talk my friend. :thumbup:
Yes, all of my customs are up on the various Clips4Sale stores.

I honestly don't remember what they charged exactly, but both Cali and Primals prices are reasonable (and are within the same range).

From Cali, my first custom was a femdom PoV and I have no idea what she charged me. My other videos from Cali were the Cyberkat series starring Sinn Sage. These was done as two customs and I think Cali broke it up into 3 separate videos (and second custom was very long and she broke it into two parts). Cali's prices are pretty insane. I think she charged me like $800 for the second part of the Cyberkat series (so videos 2 and 3) and it was over an hour long with 3 performers including Sinn Sage and Cali herself.

From Primal, my videos were the one with Night Dragon (Callie Calypso). I think they called it "Superheroine's Revenge" and they changed the heroine's name, too. It's very hard to find on Clips4Sale because their search engine sucks.

And very recently, the one with Katrina Jade and Alex Cole as Hell Razer. I forget what they charged me for this one, but it was a decent price. I actually paid for it more than a year ago, but there were all sorts' of scheduling snafus. Also note that the custom I paid for was only about 30-40 minutes long, but the director's cut they are selling on Clips4Sale is 80 minutes. So they added a lot of material beyond what I asked for.

I tend to order customs that are longer than average - between 30-60 minutes. And I generally expect to pay at least $800 for superheroine content with at least 2 performers. I have paid as much as $1500 for a custom, but it was totally NOT worth it and I feel like I got ripped off on that one.
Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

If you don't mind me asking (although I'm betting I can guess the producer) which one did you pay $1500 for a custom video and not get a satisfactory product. You can always PM me if you don't want to mention it in front of others.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I strongly suspect that if people who ordered customs compared notes more often then we'd probably be better served by this part of the industry. I kind of feel like so much of the custom movie production side is opaque and private, nobody really knows that much about much, at least out here, on the customer side. Would it maybe be a good idea if we did a thread listing customs we'd ordered, how much we'd paid for them, and maybe any feedback on the experience? I mean I get there's the reviews board covers some of it, but it might be helpful to have it all in one thread for comparison.
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Shakeshift wrote:
6 years ago
If you don't mind me asking (although I'm betting I can guess the producer) which one did you pay $1500 for a custom video and not get a satisfactory product. You can always PM me if you don't want to mention it in front of others.
I'd be willing to bet you can't guess. :-P
Do you want to try, or do you want me to tell you?
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish wrote:
6 years ago
I strongly suspect that if people who ordered customs compared notes more often then we'd probably be better served by this part of the industry. I kind of feel like so much of the custom movie production side is opaque and private, nobody really knows that much about much, at least out here, on the customer side. Would it maybe be a good idea if we did a thread listing customs we'd ordered, how much we'd paid for them, and maybe any feedback on the experience? I mean I get there's the reviews board covers some of it, but it might be helpful to have it all in one thread for comparison.
I agree with this. The first time I delved into ordering a custom, there was so little information - it was daunting. I had to sort've dive in blindfolded and see what happened. I did a lot of experimenting with a lot of different producers (and still do).

That's why I am always happy to talk about my experiences here. I know what it's like to be in the dark, so I try to help out when other people have questions. Especially since, in this case, learning the hard way can be very expensive.

Unfortunately, I must admit, I don't keep very careful records about exactly what I pay for customs, how long they take, etc. I remember the really good experiences and the really bad ones.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

TIEnTEEZ wrote:
6 years ago
Dogfish wrote:
6 years ago
I agree with this. The first time I delved into ordering a custom, there was so little information - it was daunting. I had to sort've dive in blindfolded and see what happened. I did a lot of experimenting with a lot of different producers (and still do).

That's why I am always happy to talk about my experiences here. I know what it's like to be in the dark, so I try to help out when other people have questions. Especially since, in this case, learning the hard way can be very expensive.

Unfortunately, I must admit, I don't keep very careful records about exactly what I pay for customs, how long they take, etc. I remember the really good experiences and the really bad ones.
Yeah the experimentation is a big part of it. I always figure the first movie is almost a write-off because there's so much you need to learn about how the producer or the performers are going to interpret the idea. Well, write-off might be a bit far, but there's definitely a lot of luck involved. :)

Unless somebody wants to jump the gun and do it before I get around to it I'll try to start a thread on this topic later. I feel like we could probably use one where we talk about who got what from whom for how much and how did it all go, and then another thread could be useful discussing the dos, don'ts, and useful pointers for getting a custom. Cos again I think this is another area where a lot of guys are in the dark, and it's not like a movie producer is going to have time to explain all this stuff to them.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish wrote:
6 years ago
Yeah the experimentation is a big part of it. I always figure the first movie is almost a write-off because there's so much you need to learn about how the producer or the performers are going to interpret the idea. Well, write-off might be a bit far, but there's definitely a lot of luck involved. :)

Unless somebody wants to jump the gun and do it before I get around to it I'll try to start a thread on this topic later. I feel like we could probably use one where we talk about who got what from whom for how much and how did it all go, and then another thread could be useful discussing the dos, don'ts, and useful pointers for getting a custom. Cos again I think this is another area where a lot of guys are in the dark, and it's not like a movie producer is going to have time to explain all this stuff to them.
One thing I'd like to see discussed is the security of payment methods. Producers wanting PayPal payment to be marked as a "gift" basically pisses away your protection. (PayPal are usually very good if a problem arises with a normal purchase. In my experience, they always favor consumers over vendors.) Sending a "gift" to a producer is the online equivalent of handing a bag of cash to a stranger on a park bench. You're not making an official purchase. At least not as far as PayPal are concerned.

While not every producer who wants payments of this type is dodgy as fuck, the use of a dodgy as fuck payment method does suggest there's a higher than normal probability of them being dodgy as fuck.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
6 years ago
Dogfish wrote:
6 years ago

One thing I'd like to see discussed is the security of payment methods. Producers wanting PayPal payment to be marked as a "gift" basically pisses away your protection. (PayPal are usually very good if a problem arises with a normal purchase. In my experience, they always favor consumers over vendors.) Sending a "gift" to a producer is the online equivalent of handing a bag of cash to a stranger on a park bench. You're not making an official purchase. At least not as far as PayPal are concerned.

While not every producer who wants payments of this type is dodgy as fuck, the use of a dodgy as fuck payment method does suggest there's a higher than normal probability of them being dodgy as fuck.
The problem is of course it flips the other way and plenty of producers have stories about customers screwing them over on payments. At the end of the day a producer has more to lose if they grift a customer than the other way around, if somebody decides to make a bunch of noise about getting ripped off a producer's reputation can take a massive hit, but customers can scuttle away and pull the same blag again.

The real problem here of course is the financial sector itself, which reserves the right, while being effectively the only way to do business online, to police the choices both of customers and clients and people working in the adult industry by deciding not to offer the full range of services and protections to them. There's no legal reason and there's no logical reason why porn and custom movies have to go through so many third party systems and dubious methods, just that the banks are a bunch of prudes.

Which, frankly, pisses me right off. Banks have no problem whatsoever handling money for the mob, for cartels, for the arms industry, for any number of shady motherfuckers of any number of different stripes, but sex workers/models/producers? Hell no. They have to mess with folks.
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
6 years ago
Dogfish wrote:
6 years ago

I have been told that PayPal has rules against dealing in adult content. So if you send a payment as a payment and not as a gift, the person you sent that payment to can have their PayPal account cancelled if it's determined that they are selling porn videos, for example.

Also, I've been told that PayPal takes a free out of the back end for business payments, and they do not do this for gifts (or it's less).

I don't know if either of those things are actually true. But the second one, at least, seems true.

I've paid for videos in all sorts of ways, and most of them give up any form of protection. Amazon gift cards, Gift Rocket, PayPal, etc.

The best ones are when you can pay by a credit card through a tribute on a site like Clips4Sale or KinkBomb. Because since it's a real bona-fide credit card transaction you have recource if you need to reverse the charges. I have done this exactly once and it worked fine.

It works both ways, BTW. Producers like using PayPal and gift cards or whatever because there are dishonest people out there who contest the charges because they are lowlifes who want to get away with something. And most of the producers aren't big companies that can afford to spend the time or effort to fight back.
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish wrote:
6 years ago
TIEnTEEZ wrote:
6 years ago
Dogfish wrote:
6 years ago

In fact... I had almost forgotten about it, but I actually started a blog when I first started exploring custom videos. I kind've stopped updating it a couple of years ago due to lack of interest, but if anyone wants to check it out, it's here:

https://customvideoexplorer.wordpress.com/
Doctor Outcome
Overlord
Overlord

Okay, now these are very good suggestions that everyone is posting for future transactions and ideas. I like Dogfish's idea of putting up a section to showcase what ideas have been done as customs and also Heroine Addict's idea of a producer putting up a writing example (Christina Carter is the only one thus far who has a script example up at her site and I still have it in my possession. I use that when I want to write custom scripts)

Also, it would also work if producer's would put up certain rules that customers need to follow when doing a custom request so that way the customer can know what to expect and this way the producer's time isn't being wasted and neither is the customer's because as a couple of posters on here said 'it works both ways'.

The main thing that needs to be addressed is turnaround time for certain projects, delays, etc. Since the performers and the producer are working with, on, around and sometimes against 'the clock' the customer should know when to expect a response and or their custom request so they're not bugging the producer out of paranoia from being ripped off or their request being forgotten.