2nd Miraculous Ladybug season announced for May 2017

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
shevek
Producer
Producer

I said I'd take this to the mainstream media thread when I mentioned it again so here it is.

As of Sept, there's been an announcement that the cutest cartoon on TV, Miraculous Ladybug, has been picked up for a second and third season, with the new episodes starting in May 2017. It's hard to wait that long, I really liked this show so much. I follow its creator Thomas Astruc on Twitter and he has been fairly active in engaging with the huge fanbase.

In the meantime try not to get akumatized, and enjoy this great cosplay of Chat Noir, Ladybug, Volpina, Stormy Weather, and Antibug. Sorry, no Lady Wi-fi :) When the show starts airing, I'll top this thread with news.

Last edited by shevek 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Disciple
Stories Mod
Stories Mod

Ah, Ladybug. I mostly lack the time to really get into it, but someone on the 'net made this kickass AMV.
shevek
Producer
Producer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg3ETO55lNQ

Action-packed to say the least. Showcases the series quite nicely. I've never really seen an episode of Kim Possible all the way through because I never had cable. But I do understand its influence continues to reverberate through a generation. Easy to find hot cosplay of her. Do you see echoes of KP in Ladybug?

Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

This was an unexpected gem last year. It's a really bright and upbeat show that sort of ignores all the current 'brooding batman' syndrome superhero junk is saturated with these days. It's a little silly sometimes but the last half of the season really started bringing it together and the last few episodes in particular showed an intent for some real 'world building' introducing the concept of a good group of 'Miraculouses' (The source of the hero's powers) which will hopefully be distributed around over the next couple of seasons and start opening up the shows universe.

It's silly, it's chipper, it's just a fun fun show.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Hello folks! Now that the CW superhero seasons are almost all done..I'm going to take the time to watch as many of the Season 2 episodes of Ladybug as possible, with emphasis on the ones that feature beautiful female villains or heroines (apparently Alya becomes a heroine called Rena Rouge at some point as more Miraculouses pop up..). So over the next couple weeks expect new posts in this thread. Also if anyone has any comments on Season 2, do tell. Seems to me that we do find out who Hawkmoth is, but other than that the show sticks generally to the same akuma-of-the-week formula.

In the meantime, on June 9, Ladybug creator Thomas Astruc himself retweeted and approved some amazingly beautiful 'aged-up Ladybug' fan art. If he's Ok with it, I am, but if for some reason this is verboten on the Forum let me know. Don't want to post anything untoward.
shevek
Producer
Producer

OK I'm going to review a bunch of Ladybug episodes I watched in the past couple days...in Episode 1 we already see by the end that Gabriel (Adrian's dad) is Hawkmoth, which everyone suspected all along. So let's move on.

If you're looking for interesting female villains or characters, there are definitely some in this second season. Here's a list of what I watched.

S2 E3 Prime Queen is about a TV journalist Nadja who tries to score in her career by getting a big interview with Ladybug and Cat Noir. She fails, and then is akumatized into the evil Prime Queen, who can teleport through TV screens. Her costume is a lot like Tron. She causes peril for two hostages: she holds Chloe hostage on a subway train to try to lure the heroes. Then she ties up Alya in a mummy coffin. Meanwhile, Cat Noir tries to kiss Ladybug at least a couple times. There's actually a brief physical scuffle between Prime Queen and Ladybug before the de-akumatization. That's about it.

S2 E5 Riposte is about a Japanese fencing student named Kagami who is Adrien's big rival in fencing class. Kagami is pretty cute, and obsessed with the fact that she lost to Adrien. She becomes the villain Riposte who can slice through anything. She has a beautiful silver armored costume with nice heeled boots. Of course she gets defeated..but she turns out to be so nice that it would be great if Kagami returned and provided kind of a love triangle thing with Marinette and Adrien. Probably not going to happen though. The episode is OK.

S2 E8 Dark Owl is hilarious because their principal Mr. Damocles tries his hand out at superheroing as The Knight Owl (kind of a campy parody on Batman). Cat Noir and Ladybug devise a plan to make the Owl feel less inept and like a real hero. They pretend to be kidnapped by 'Cardboard Girl' (played by Alya) and Owl goes to save the duo. The plan goes awry and Damocles' identity is revealed on TV. Ashamed, he then becomes akumatized into Dark Owl (complete with a Batman-style Owl signal). Around 12:30 Ladybug and Cat Noir get tied up facing each other with the Owl's ropeline. Then he traps them in a tank that's slowly filling up with whipped cream and they will drown in it. They give up their Miraculouses to the Owl and he delivers them to Hawkmoth (this is the closest Hawkmoth's ever gotten to actually possessing them). But it turns out they were fake Miraculouses made out of 'salt dough' that Marinette made from her parents' bakery. Then Ladybug figures out how to defeat the Owl by reading a comic of "The Adventures of Knight Owl" (Cat Noir says "reading comics books can actually save lives"). She realizes that the akuma object is in the computer in Owl's lair. There is a little moment where Dark Owl is giving her a bear hug but that's about the extent of the peril as she defeats him. Funny episode overall.

S2 E10 Sapotis SPECIAL EPISODE! Alya and Marinette are babysitting Alya's twin mischievous little sisters, and the k*ds become akumatized into Sapotis (based on a Creole legend of troublemaking little monsters). There's a great reference to Gremlins, as the Sapotis start multiplying whenever they eat. Then there's a reference to Pokemon when Cat Noir says "We've gotta catch 'em all". Marinette winds up having to visit Mister Fu (the wise Chinese Mr Miyagi type who possesses the remaining Miraculouses) to get help. He gives her another Miraculous to create another superhero ally and she gives it to Alya. Alya gets the Miraculous of the Fox, which creates the power of illusion. Alya meets her kwami (Trix), and then by saying "Let's pounce" becomes the beautiful foxy Rena Rouge (with almost the same appearance as Vulpina, from last season - see below) in a unique transformation that you think you might not see again in any other episode (but in fact, she becomes a regular). Rena Rouge creates an illusion of a huge amusement park with her flute to attract the Sapotis, and then the Sapotis are defeated and become her twin sisters again. She has to give back the Miraculous. Which is really too bad because Alya really cut a figure as the Fox. I would say don't miss this one if you like real superheroine action mixed with a high dose of super monster silliness.
Miraculous_Holder_Equation_Rena_Rouge.png
Miraculous_Holder_Equation_Rena_Rouge.png (813.95 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
S2 E11 Gorizilla - The important parts of this episode: 1) We clearly see Adrien and Marinette having feelings for each other in their civilian identities. 2) We witness the actual transformation from Gabriel to Hawkmoth. Not much else.

S2 E12 - Captain Hardrock About the only interesting thing is that Marinette gains a second crush: a guitarist named Luka. Maybe in the future she'll need to decide between him and Adrien. The female villain is a fiftysomething woman who talks like a pirate.

S2 E13 Zombizou is an interesting twist, as Marinette feels some evil emotions which almost cause her to be akumatized! But the akuma lands on her teacher instead - Miss Bustier, funny name - and the teacher becomes the villainess Zombizou, who turns everyone into love-spreading kissing zombies. Zombizou has a hot gothy costume with a short miniskirt, a ripped pair of black tights and cute little heeled boots. The kids go around kissing everyone and turning them into zombies. It's an alright episode with a simple message about loving thy neighbor.

S2 E14 Syren A girl named Ondine, who is good at swimming, has a serious crush on the big boy Kim but he is oblivious which breaks her heart. Hawkmoth akumatizes Ondine into the Syren, a superpowered mermaid who floods the city. It is also here that we see that Ladybug is now regularly deputizing Alya to become Rena Rouge to help the heroes solve problems in Paris. Ladybug and Cat Noir get a special aquatic breathing power and new aquatic costumes from Mister Fu to help save the city from Syren's flood. We then find out that there are multiple special powers that can be given to the kwamis to augment the Miraculous Powers. The power formulas are then baked into small macaroons thanks to Marinette's baking skills, and imbued into slices of cheese for Cat Noir's kwami, Plagg. Thus both heroes have the extra powers on hand at all times. This is a big development as it opens up a lot of new powerful possibilities for the heroes. Great episode!

S2 E16 Frightingale Chloe tries out for the lead part in a video by singer by Clara Nightingale and is rebuffed. In revenge, she gets her father the mayor to cancel the video permit. Clara is resentful, and becomes akumatized into Frightningale, who turns people into statues if they don't sing and dance. Frightningale has a colorful tight bodysuit costume with clownish face makeup, a magic wand and high heels. Eventually Ladybug and Chat Noir defeat her. Episode is entertaining if not especially noteworthy.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Finally went back and finished Season 2 of Ladybug, mainly concentrating on episodes that had more than one costumed and superpowered female (whether heroine or villainess) so it would be sufficiently interesting to Forum members.

S2 E18 Anansi This involves Alya's big sister Nora, whom we meet for a first time. She is a bit disappointing. First of all, she looks nothing at all like Alya. Nora is a huge, muscular and buff African amazon martial-arts fighter on steroids. So I can't see how the two sisters are related unless they have two different fathers? When Nora gets akumatized into Anansi (a spider-villain, natch) she looks a little better in her costume, but not much, plus she acts like a dumb brute. There is an addition to the hero lineup in this episode when Alya's boyfriend Nino becomes Carapace - the turtle powered hero (a nod to TMNT, I'm assuming). Nonetheless, it's not really recommended.

S2 E22/23/24 Style Queen / Queen Wasp / Malediktator This is really a trilogy of connected episode that can go under the combined title "Queen's Battle". The common thread is the introduction of Chloe's superheroine Miraculous character, Queen Bee. In the first episode, Chloe's mom is akumatized as the attractive and gold-colored, but ultimately completely insufferable, Style Queen (her tagline is "I am invicible!", which is pretty funny.) Then in the second episode, Chloe herself is akumatized in the hottest supervillainess of the whole series: Queen Wasp! Finally, Chloe returns to function as Queen Bee and proves her worth as a heroine alongside Ladybug. It's definitely worth watching all three of these to grasp Chloe's story arc as her character finally evolves from selfish brat to at least bit of selfless heroism and responsibility..plus she's mighty cute!

New things we didn't see before:
- Chloe undergoes the first Miraculous transformation that is seen in public. She also hands her Miraculous back to Ladybug on live TV. Which pretty much means that the cat is out of the bag - all of Paris knows about the concept of the Miraculous as well as Chloe's heroine identity.
- We also see a good bit of Emilie, Hawkmoth's wife who is in a coma. The backstory starts to emerge that his motivation in perpetually trying to grab Ladybug and Chat Noir's Miraculouses is that he wants to use them to save Emilie. We also see some development in the character of Nathalie, Hawkmoth's loyal assistant. She is kind of like Mercy Graves to Lex Luthor, but she is
falling in love with Hawkmoth and obsessively devoted to helping him. He actually treats her quite kindly (so it's not at all an abusive Joker/Harley dynamic) leading us to start treating Hawkmoth as more of a sympathetic villain, something we hadn't considered before. It's good to see the villainous side of things become a lot less one-dimensional.

S2 E25/26 Catalyst / Mayura This is a two-parter season finale titled "Heroes' Day, Parts 1 and 2". The episode titles are named
after two different superpowered beings which Nathalie transforms into (if you remember, quite a while back I was anticipating
that would happen). Catalyst is an akumatized villainess who has the power to augment the powers of others, so naturally Nathalie uses it to help Hawkmoth upgrade his powers. You'll have to watch to see how that turns out. Mayura is a product of the peacock Miraculous which Nathalie apparently now possesses. Also in this story arc is the return of the resentful Lila as the very foxy villainess Volpina (love her costume, but kind of hate that she has to play the flute to activate her powers. come on, what is this? H.R. Pufnstuf?).

Also in the series we see for the first time a "Justice League" of young Miraculous heroes all working together to defeat the common foe of an upgraded Hawkmoth and his entire army of akumatized villains (callbacks from both seasons). They don't have an official name for the group - they are just friends - but the roster now includes Ladybug, Chat Noir, Rena Rouge (aka Alya), Carapace (Nino) and Queen Bee (Chloe). They make a very cute team!

Overall, it was great returning to the relatively innocent world of the Ladybug universe. There's no preachy politics and no attempt to inject any agenda. In fact, other than when the mayor gets out of hand (he activates his akumatized powers with the phrase, "by the power vested in me", which is also pretty funny), politics is never mentioned at all. There are simple and enduring morals and values. There are great colorful costumes, many of them quite tight and shiny. There's quite an overall of sense of quippy humor and quirky camp. And it's a fun story to follow - even though many of the episodes can be watched self-contained, there's an overall progress to the evolution of the universe, and the art is simply stunning, making (as I've said) Paris a background character of the series.

Check this series out if you have time. It's easy enough just to check the Wikipedia episode summaries and then watch whatever episodes you want on various Youtube uploads. With quite a bit of time over the next couple weeks, I'll be plowing all the way through Season 3 and see how things develop as the plot gets more complex with more characters entering the fray.