One Piece (Netflix, 2023)

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Anyone going to watch this? Not a superhero show, just a live-action adventure adapted from one of the biggest mangas of all time,
but it's becoming insanely popular and apparently solves all of the problems people had with Cowboy Bebop.

Shill website critics are salty because it's supposedly a faithful adaptation from the Japanese that didn't bend to American agendas.
Busy for the next few days, but I'm going to watch it and report back. Unless someone wants to comment sooner than that.

Trailer already has 11 million views!

Going to keep an eye on Emily Rudd, whom I watched earlier this year in "Moonshot". She is cute, and even with the shorter red hair and the busty body type from the mangas toned down quite a bit (it's a bit of a Leeloo look) she is going to be admired and cosplayed quite a bit in the coming year or two.
Her character "Nami" should be a Gen-Z icon.
rudd.jpg
rudd.jpg (232.3 KiB) Viewed 739 times
Profil-Biodata-Emily-Rudd-Pemeran-Karater-Nami-di-Film-One-Piece-Live-Action-2630737648.jpg
Profil-Biodata-Emily-Rudd-Pemeran-Karater-Nami-di-Film-One-Piece-Live-Action-2630737648.jpg (48.05 KiB) Viewed 739 times
Last edited by shevek 7 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Just follow the material and print money.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Mr. X wrote:
7 months ago
Just follow the material and print money.
Yes, of course, but not just that. I'm actually kind of happy for these younger actors (such as they are...Emily, for one, is 30) because several of them have been huge One Piece fans from the get-go, and they get to play their manga heroes faithfully in live action. It's more than just a job, and that could make it really great. We'll see!
PartsUnknown
Henchman
Henchman

Just give me Rebecca in the same armor from the comics. Have her get beaten up more. That’d be rad.
shevek
Producer
Producer

PartsUnknown wrote:
7 months ago
Just give me Rebecca in the same armor from the comics. Have her get beaten up more. That’d be rad.
There's no Rebecca in Season 1. There's also no Hot Alvida, who changes in the manga from fat and ugly to super sexy when she eats a Devil Fruit.
alvida fat to thin.jpg
alvida fat to thin.jpg (40.6 KiB) Viewed 648 times
The only version of Alvida we see in Season 1 is one who is fat and yet *not* ugly - they give her the best makeup job they can in the given situation.

Here's what I think: despite the story of the live-action being incredibly close to the manga, I predict that they will 'wimp out' and *not* do the fat-to-hot Alvida transformation in the show at all. Why do I think that? Because, despite everyone celebrating how true to form the series is, they are still doing stuff like this around the edges.

This is Nami's adopted sister Nojiko. In the live-action series, Nami looks almost exactly like she does in the manga and cartoon.
Yet Nojiko doesn't.
nojika in manga and live action.jpg
nojika in manga and live action.jpg (8.3 KiB) Viewed 648 times
So I don't think they are going to go with any fat-shaming, either. We'll see.

Meanwhile, as I mentioned above, the one main female character is Emily Rudd who plays Nami.
If you're looking for peril, at least in Season 1, you're not going to find any, unless running and hiding from a killer counts as peril.
Also, this is not a show which specializes in any tight costumes, despite most of the main characters having superhero-like special abilities,
and despite such characters as Alvida, Nami, Nojiko and several more females being depicted as wearing revealing outfits in the manga and anime.

The best you're going to get is some nice colorful costume dresses on Nami. It seems like they are Ok with depicting her as cute but not really as sexy. The creator Oda had control over all of this so I think they were walking a tightrope between adult and teenage audiences, both of which came out in droves to make One Piece the most successful live-action anime adaptation ever.
nami  5th episode outfit.jpg
nami 5th episode outfit.jpg (78.74 KiB) Viewed 648 times
episode 6.jpg
episode 6.jpg (43.95 KiB) Viewed 648 times
nami episode 7.jpg
nami episode 7.jpg (32.77 KiB) Viewed 648 times
episode 9 nami.jpg
episode 9 nami.jpg (102.15 KiB) Viewed 648 times
So then, what did everyone think? I had a friend who noped out after only 10 minutes of the first episode because it was just not the kind of genre he enjoyed. The action is very goofy and constantly over the top, with relentless messages about friendship and never stop following your dreams.
Campy costuming prevails (Hunger Games?) and every fight has "finishing moves" called out like it's a video game, which I guess is a popular thing
in anime and also in Scott Pilgrim.

You could probably make a drinking game out of four words: Dream. Friends. Crew. Pirates.

Many people also might not understand the mechanics or believability of a world where probably half the population are pirates and there are no large land masses (everywhere is pretty much an island). The technology is all over the place, although it lands somewhere in the 1920s or so:
there's radio, photography and electricity and even a "World Government" (the "Marines" are basically the British Navy) and yet there are still swords and pirates.

They also might be tested a little bit by the premise of the fishmen, which is that they have been oppressed by humans for millennia but they are now rising up to claim the seas, and they also consider themselves to be superior to humans. So somehow they are both Nazis and marginalized?
Maybe it isn't supposed to make any sense because it's just a fun story written by a Japanese guy.

Did you enjoy Season 1 and are you willing to watch more seasons of this goofy Luffy madness?
Last edited by shevek 7 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
sensualbarbarian
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

A majority of anime just does not translate well to live action and should just be left alone.