Tara Strong Cancelled

Where derailed topics go to ....live?
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

There is part of the entertainment industry that will fire you for having non Woke opinions

we saw it with Gina Carano.

Now we see it fro Tara Strong being fired from BoxCar and the cowardly producer did not have the guts to contact her first

Her offense being Pro Israel

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... Islam.html
shevek
Producer
Producer

Dazzle1 wrote:
6 months ago
There is part of the entertainment industry that will fire you for having non Woke opinions

Now we see it fro Tara Strong being fired from BoxCar and the cowardly producer did not have the guts to contact her first

At least with this issue, a lot of people in the West have seen that the woke types have finally gone too far, and there are just as many cancellations
from the right by supporters of Israel. The proper place to strike at is indeed academia.

I never even knew that Tara Strong was Jewish before this, but now that I see her photo, yes she does have the appearance of a beautiful Jewish girl.
I've known quite a few. I wonder why she only does voice acting if she has looked that good for quite a while.

If she has family and friends in Israel, of course she'd be concerned about them. I wonder if this will affect her convention appearance business.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
6 months ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
6 months ago

At least with this issue, a lot of people in the West have seen that the woke types have finally gone too far, and there are just as many cancellations
from the right by supporters of Israel. The proper place to strike at is indeed academia.

I never even knew that Tara Strong was Jewish before this, but now that I see her photo, yes she does have the appearance of a beautiful Jewish girl.
I've known quite a few. I wonder why she only does voice acting if she has looked that good for quite a while.

If she has family and friends in Israel, of course she'd be concerned about them. I wonder if this will affect her convention appearance business.
Depends who are the decision makers?

Remember most fans did not want Gina Carano fired witness the Change.org petition to reinstate her was 10 times more than those who demanded her firing.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Could be that company wants to avoid any politics so they ousted her. In my last company we had a lot of special interest come in (woke and activism) but I would also not want some religious or pro Israel special interest either. Maybe some companies have had enough with all special interest.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
6 months ago
Could be that company wants to avoid any politics so they ousted her. In my last company we had a lot of special interest come in (woke and activism) but I would also not want some religious or pro Israel special interest either. Maybe some companies have had enough with all special interest.
She did it on her own time, the same way I am doing it
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

WARTIME cancelations are probably less likely to be the sorts of cancelation we're used to (Gina Carano dug her own grave and y'all should quit defending her like it was some little thing.. ESPECIALLY you Dazzle. A person can't say 'The Nazi's weren't that bad actually' in civilized social spheres without reaping social consequences, and we never will be. I'm astonished you're sympathetic to her at all considering that you are Jewish, and 'the Nazi's aren't that bad actually' is the worst kind of language a person can use around the Jewish. Don't defend someone JUST because they are Conservative and you happen to be, a lot of cancellations are nonsensical unavoidable slips of a tongue that society suddenly latches their teeth into without warning or expectaiton... Carano's, pointedly, was not. She defended Nazi's publicly, and reaped the rewards expected for doing so) what's going on right now are people on opposing ends of WAR being logically disliked by the other side. IF/When the war ends it's likely things will go back to normal. I don't imagine this is the same kind of 'public shaming' conciliatory behavior... that said, there's an UNUSUAL amount of war right now... and I suppose it's the first time we've begun seeing 'war' cancellation... so this may be a bit of 'wait and see' how it shakes out sociologically.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
6 months ago
WARTIME cancelations are probably less likely to be the sorts of cancelation we're used to (Gina Carano dug her own grave and y'all should quit defending her like it was some little thing.. ESPECIALLY you Dazzle. A person can't say 'The Nazi's weren't that bad actually' in civilized social spheres without reaping social consequences, and we never will be. I'm astonished you're sympathetic to her at all considering that you are Jewish, and 'the Nazi's aren't that bad actually' is the worst kind of language a person can use around the Jewish. Don't defend someone JUST because they are Conservative and you happen to be, a lot of cancellations are nonsensical unavoidable slips of a tongue that society suddenly latches their teeth into without warning or expectaiton... Carano's, pointedly, was not. She defended Nazi's publicly, and reaped the rewards expected for doing so) what's going on right now are people on opposing ends of WAR being logically disliked by the other side. IF/When the war ends it's likely things will go back to normal. I don't imagine this is the same kind of 'public shaming' conciliatory behavior... that said, there's an UNUSUAL amount of war right now... and I suppose it's the first time we've begun seeing 'war' cancellation... so this may be a bit of 'wait and see' how it shakes out sociologically.
Femina , Gina Carano never said any such thing. She said the Woke Cancel Culture has adopted Nazi like tactics which I happen to agree with. It was actuallyher costar who did defend the Nazis just like Roger Waters who has paid no penalty. Ben Shapiro who is a leading Jewish advocate has worked with Carano.

With respect don't lecture me on anti-Semitism
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
6 months ago
She defended Nazi's publicly,
She never did that and you can't provide one shred of evidence.

And spare us the "I don't like some team so they are nazis and she defended that team" nonsense.

There are NO NAZIS, NO NAZI party, NO NAZI power in the US. Just some ineffectual rednecks and some FBI goons dressed up in the same outfits stirring up trouble oh and some PRO Palestinian people waving Nazi flags.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

From what I can remember, Gina Carano got cancelled for having the poor and stupid judgement to compare contemporary times in our liberal dominated culture to Nazi Germany, a dumb and stupid thing to say for sure, but hardly a cancellable offense. Her comments implied being a Republican today was like being Jewish during the Holocaust. So stupid, but she ought not have lost her job over saying something so stupid. Nothing in her statements indicates her being a Nazi sympathizer.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
6 months ago

Plenty of celebrities are Pro Israel. Tara liked a tweet (or an Xcretion or whatever they're now called) which was blatantly Anti Islam.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
6 months ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
6 months ago

Plenty of celebrities are Pro Israel. Tara liked a tweet (or an Xcretion or whatever they're now called) which was blatantly Anti Islam.
Taken in context she was speaking of the Midle East in regard to Islamists who are dangerous: Islamist are the Hamas, Hezbllah Iranian govt
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The tweet she liked had no such nuance. It specified Islam, not Islamists.

"Islam is a real, clear and present danger"
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
6 months ago
The tweet she liked had no such nuance. It specified Islam, not Islamists.

"Islam is a real, clear and present danger"
Look at her from her perspective which I can understand even before Israel responded. She saw Muslim in major cities celbrating Hamas actions.

I work with several followers of the Muslim faith

But everyone of those so called protesters over the last two weeks I see as racists
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

To above posts...

Dazzle1: right wing BS
shevek: BS and who cares
Dazzle1: BS and you have no idea how many fans wanted Carano fired or didn't want her fired. The change.org petition comparisons are stupid since she was fired so fast that the petition to get her fired had no more purpose. The reinstatement petition still had a purpose for many more days to weeks to months so of course it would get more petitioners.
Mr. X: May be.
Dazzle1: When a celebrity is on a show, that celebrity always represents the show. There is no 'you're own time' in show business.
Femina: I agree with bushwackerbob below.
Dazzle1: BS. Carano made a stupid post. But didn't say your bizarro spin either.
Mr. X: bypassing...
bushwackerbob: Yes
Heroine Addict: Yes
Dazzle1: No, that is not the context
Dazzle1: You don't know that she saw major cities celebrating.
Dazzle1 wrote:
6 months ago
But everyone of those so called protesters over the last two weeks I see as racists
I see your quote as stupid. If you wanna see a racist, take a solo selfie.

Anyway...
Daily Mail is heavily right wing leaning site.

This article on same topic is less right wing leaning...

https://www.ign.com/articles/tara-stron ... ine-tweets

Recommendation: This political-from-the-get-go thread should be moved to Phantom Zone
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

theScribbler wrote:
6 months ago
To above posts...

Dazzle1: BS and you have no idea how many fans wanted Carano fired or didn't want her fired. The change.org petition comparisons are stupid since she was fired so fast that the petition to get her fired had no more purpose. The reinstatement petition still had a purpose for many more days to weeks to months so of course it would get more petitioners.
Dazzle1: When a celebrity is on a show, that celebrity always represents the show. There is no 'you're own time' in show business.
Dazzle1: BS. Carano made a stupid post. But didn't say your bizarro spin either.
Dazzle1 wrote:
6 months ago

Anyway...

Recommendation: This political-from-the-get-go thread should be moved to Phantom Zone
The Daily Mail leans heavily right, but are they presenting false arguments or making up data? Pretty much all mainstream media outlets lean left. My guess is you trust them because they echo your views. Fair enough. Just don’t pretend your outlets are any more factual than other people’s mainstream outlets with an equivalent bias.
From what I’ve seen, conservatives and moderates tend to be more balanced than liberals and progressives as a whole. Consider how academics, the music industry, the entertainment industry, almost all mainstream news outlets, sports, tech and social media are all heavily left-leaning with progressive values. Conservatives and moderates are exposed to their views and opinions as they can’t help consuming many of their products. But where is a liberal or progressive person forced to consume conservative and moderate perspectives? I can’t think of any. The mere fact that the US has a near 50/50 split of liberals and conservatives despite the severe lack of exposure and presentation of conservative views speaks to how powerful those views must be.
Ignore any virtue-signaling; it's clearly just you.

Ignore any activism; it clearly doesn't exist.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!
Ignore your common sense!

Everything is entirely normal and ignore the radical changes to culture.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

sugarcoater wrote:
6 months ago
theScribbler wrote:
6 months ago
To above posts...

Dazzle1 wrote:
6 months ago

Anyway...

The Daily Mail leans heavily right, but are they presenting false arguments or making up data? Pretty much all mainstream media outlets lean left. My guess is you trust them because they echo your views. Fair enough. Just don’t pretend your outlets are any more factual than other people’s mainstream outlets with an equivalent bias.
From what I’ve seen, conservatives and moderates tend to be more balanced than liberals and progressives as a whole. Consider how academics, the music industry, the entertainment industry, almost all mainstream news outlets, sports, tech and social media are all heavily left-leaning with progressive values. Conservatives and moderates are exposed to their views and opinions as they can’t help consuming many of their products. But where is a liberal or progressive person forced to consume conservative and moderate perspectives? I can’t think of any. The mere fact that the US has a near 50/50 split of liberals and conservatives despite the severe lack of exposure and presentation of conservative views speaks to how powerful those views must be.
Have you not heard of Fox News?

https://apnews.com/article/fox-news-dom ... ba024b88a0

How about the New York Post?

How about some from here...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... e_websites
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Basically can someone supports something outside of work either hamas or Israel? If not then the rule has to apply for all.
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

theScribbler wrote:
6 months ago
sugarcoater wrote:
6 months ago
theScribbler wrote:
6 months ago
To above posts...

Dazzle1 wrote:
6 months ago

Anyway...

I have. Have you not heard of Rolling Stone, The New York Times, The Washington Post, NPR, NBC, ABC, MSNBC, CNN, Time, the Associated Press, pretty much all social media, Google, Apple, Microsoft...the list goes on. But I do appreciate you listing the vast collection of...two. Does The Babylon Bee count as a third "news" outlet?

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!

Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

theScribbler wrote:
6 months ago
To above posts...

Dazzle1 wrote:
6 months ago

Anyway...

Scribbler has engage in a personal attack, suggest moderators handle
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I read Strongs Post

nothing she said was wrong
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
6 months ago
Femina wrote:
6 months ago
Femina , Gina Carano never said any such thing. She said the Woke Cancel Culture has adopted Nazi like tactics which I happen to agree with. It was actuallyher costar who did defend the Nazis just like Roger Waters who has paid no penalty. Ben Shapiro who is a leading Jewish advocate has worked with Carano.

With respect don't lecture me on anti-Semitism
Holy crap... you're RIGHT! I'm sorry! I could have SWORN she had said something about Nazi's not being so bad... but I went and looked it up and... it's not even the tweet I was THINKING of... I must have her cancelation mixed up with some OTHER cancelation due to Nazi's being invoked in the post. My bad! Let it not be said I won't admit when I'm wrong. (And for the record I don't much care for cancel culture either. EVEN when I expect a person's brought it on themselves yammering to unquardinated in a venue designed to convince them to speak as thoughtlessly as possible (aka... Twitter) I mostly blame TWITTER for acting as said venue for a person to hang themselves on words that MORE OFTEN than not, they've strung together poorly and aren't REALLY generally conveying their thoughts the way they expect they are... and that the rest of us human beings are commonly overly reactionary and ascribe too much permeance to what a person 'blurbed' out of their mouths once... so I'm not DEFENDING cancelations in any respect. It's a net negative for humanity all and all, for every person who really SHOULD be 'canceled' and have their influence curbed.... we cancel like 60 other people who just sort of metaphorically wandered into the street at the wrong hour.

Anyway, the other bit of my last post was REALLY what I meant to bring up anyhow. I'm curious if the batch of cancelations we'll see as result of drawn 'battle lines' will have the same kind of longevity as 'ordinary' cancel culture.

... jesus now I'm scratching my head trying to recall who got cancelled for writing the tweet I got mixed up with Carano's...
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

sugarcoater wrote:
6 months ago
theScribbler wrote:
6 months ago
sugarcoater wrote:
6 months ago
theScribbler wrote:
6 months ago
To above posts...

Dazzle1 wrote:
6 months ago

Anyway...

I have. Have you not heard of Rolling Stone, The New York Times, The Washington Post, NPR, NBC, ABC, MSNBC, CNN, Time, the Associated Press, pretty much all social media, Google, Apple, Microsoft...the list goes on. But I do appreciate you listing the vast collection of...two. Does The Babylon Bee count as a third "news" outlet?
Nope. not just two. I had posted wikipedia link that included the following...

01 Breitbart News‎
02 Human Events
03 1819 News
04 Adversity.net
05 The Babylon Bee
06 Big League Politics
07 Breitbart News
08 The Bulwark (website)
09 The Center Square
10 The College Fix
11 Conservapedia
12 Conservative Edition News
13 Conservative Punk
14 Conservative Review
15 ConservativeHomeUSA
16 Culture11
17 The Daily Caller
18 The Daily Signal
19 The Daily Wire
20 Discover the Networks
21 The Dispatch
22 Drudge Report
23 The Epoch Times
24 The Federalist (website)
25 Free Republic
26 FrontPage Magazine
27 The Gateway Pundit
28 Heat Street
29 Hip Hop Republican
30 Hot Air
31 Independent Journal Review
32 InfoWars
33 Jihad Watch
34 LifeZette
35 Dennis Michael Lynch
36 Metric Media LLC
37 Natural News
38 Newsmax
39 Occidental Observer
40 One America News Network
41 Open the States
42 Parler
43 Power Line
44 PragerU
45 Professor Watchlist
46 Rare (website)
47 Red Alert Politics
48 RedState
49 Ricochet (website)
50 Taki's Magazine
51 The Tennessee Star
52 Townhall
53 TruNews
54 Truth Social
55 Twitchy
56 Washington Examiner
57 The Washington Free Beacon
58 The Western Journal
59 WorldNetDaily
60 Yellowhammer News

I guess you missed it in your rush to be wrong.
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
6 months ago
I read Strongs Post

nothing she said was wrong
Bull.

But sure, please show us or link us to Strong's so-called post that '[you] read' and are proclaiming she said nothing wrong, so we can also read it and agree with you or not.
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
6 months ago
theScribbler wrote:
6 months ago

Scribbler has engage in a personal attack, suggest moderators handle
Moving this entire Dazzle1 political agenda thread and bury it in the Phantom Zone should solve that. I approve.
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
shevek
Producer
Producer

theScribbler wrote:
6 months ago
sugarcoater wrote:
6 months ago

01 Breitbart News‎ and 60 other sites

Argument in bad faith. A lot of the sites/organizations on that list are tiny shoestrings compared to the dozen or so big media outlets that were mentioned, which are all left-leaning except for Fox (and Sky Australia). The idea that the vast majority of large media organs are liberal is nothing new - it's been that way for several generations, or certainly since the boomers took over everything. However, the list of much smaller conservative alternatives (you missed many of them: some of the largest ones are simply Youtube channels!) is much newer, and that's because of the information decentralization of the Internet which also creates the respective echo chambers.
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

"Cancel culture" is shitty but people getting cancelled hollows out "popular entertainment", and adds to the pool of capable cancelled that might make something better to replace it.
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

theScribbler wrote:
6 months ago
sugarcoater wrote:
6 months ago
theScribbler wrote:
6 months ago
sugarcoater wrote:
6 months ago
theScribbler wrote:
6 months ago
To above posts...

Anyway...

01 Breitbart News‎
02 Human Events
03 1819 News
04 Adversity.net
05 The Babylon Bee
06 Big League Politics
07 Breitbart News
08 The Bulwark (website)
09 The Center Square
10 The College Fix
11 Conservapedia
12 Conservative Edition News
13 Conservative Punk
14 Conservative Review
15 ConservativeHomeUSA
16 Culture11
17 The Daily Caller
18 The Daily Signal
19 The Daily Wire
20 Discover the Networks
21 The Dispatch
22 Drudge Report
23 The Epoch Times
24 The Federalist (website)
25 Free Republic
26 FrontPage Magazine
27 The Gateway Pundit
28 Heat Street
29 Hip Hop Republican
30 Hot Air
31 Independent Journal Review
32 InfoWars
33 Jihad Watch
34 LifeZette
35 Dennis Michael Lynch
36 Metric Media LLC
37 Natural News
38 Newsmax
39 Occidental Observer
40 One America News Network
41 Open the States
42 Parler
43 Power Line
44 PragerU
45 Professor Watchlist
46 Rare (website)
47 Red Alert Politics
48 RedState
49 Ricochet (website)
50 Taki's Magazine
51 The Tennessee Star
52 Townhall
53 TruNews
54 Truth Social
55 Twitchy
56 Washington Examiner
57 The Washington Free Beacon
58 The Western Journal
59 WorldNetDaily
60 Yellowhammer News

Sorry bud, but your argument is in bad faith. You include so many tiny news outlets along with a handful of semi-mainstream news outlets. We could go all day coming up with the smallest of "news" outlets. "Taki's Magazine"?! Who is reading that? Have you ever been to that website, magazine, or whatever that is? Be honest. Did you just Google "right-wing news" and copy-and-paste the list? How many of those sites, magazines or newspapers have you actually looked into?

My point holds: the mainstream outlets of news and culture--sports, music, movies, TV shows, streaming series, social media, news outlets, etc.--all predominantly lean left. You listing those outlets in a way makes my point: other than a few large outlets, it is mostly small and obscure outlets carrying conservative and moderate perspectives.
At least be intellectually honest and admit that much.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!

sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
6 months ago
theScribbler wrote:
6 months ago
sugarcoater wrote:
6 months ago

Argument in bad faith. A lot of the sites/organizations on that list are tiny shoestrings compared to the dozen or so big media outlets that were mentioned, which are all left-leaning except for Fox (and Sky Australia). The idea that the vast majority of large media organs are liberal is nothing new - it's been that way for several generations, or certainly since the boomers took over everything. However, the list of much smaller conservative alternatives (you missed many of them: some of the largest ones are simply Youtube channels!) is much newer, and that's because of the information decentralization of the Internet which also creates the respective echo chambers.
The Scribbler does argue in bad faith fairly consistently, framing arguments to suit his perspective. My point was that almost all of pop culture and mainstream news reflects progressive liberal perspectives. At no point does Scribbler address the movie industry, TV, music, sports, social media, etc. Instead, he Googles "right wing news outlets" (or some other such search), clicks on the Wikipedia entry and then copies-and-pastes whatever Wikipedia reveals to him. You can find his ready made list on this Wikipedia link:

There is no depth to the argument, merely a focus on one aspect of a much larger point and a simple Google search result to supposedly make a point. It's trite and--as was well put by Shevek--an argument in bad faith.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

sugarcoater wrote:
6 months ago

My point was that almost all of pop culture and mainstream news reflects progressive liberal perspectives. At no point does Scribbler address the movie industry, TV, music, sports, social media, etc.
Its been like that for a solid 35 years. I'd put it back to 50 years. We old liberals kicked crosses, bibles, creationism out of most schools. Only edge cases exist if at all. Even the repubs are just the liberal JFK democrats. Nearly all political pundents on the left and right agree everything shifts left over time. I went to a very strict k-8 school in Hutchinson KS in the 1960s. Got beaten for not knowing bible characters. Kind of why I do not want special interest in schools.

Some people appear stuck in 1980 in that fantasy of the hip kids putting it to grandpa and do not see the world has changed. Of course if you have 35-50 years of X in mainstream you're going to get change. And when you deal with people who think something that is only left of left of left is not left enough then what's the point.
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
6 months ago
sugarcoater wrote:
6 months ago

My point was that almost all of pop culture and mainstream news reflects progressive liberal perspectives. At no point does Scribbler address the movie industry, TV, music, sports, social media, etc.
Its been like that for a solid 35 years. I'd put it back to 50 years. We old liberals kicked crosses, bibles, creationism out of most schools. Only edge cases exist if at all. Even the repubs are just the liberal JFK democrats. Nearly all political pundents on the left and right agree everything shifts left over time. I went to a very strict k-8 school in Hutchinson KS in the 1960s. Got beaten for not knowing bible characters. Kind of why I do not want special interest in schools.

Some people appear stuck in 1980 in that fantasy of the hip kids putting it to grandpa and do not see the world has changed. Of course if you have 35-50 years of X in mainstream you're going to get change. And when you deal with people who think something that is only left of left of left is not left enough then what's the point.
I agree with you Mr. X (formerly known as Mr. Twitter?).
You bring up a point I've thought about as well. American culture has consistently moved left--there has been no movement to the right/more conservative values in decades, certainly not since at least the 60s. I find it both funny yet irritating when people try to pretend as though there is some powerful right-wing movement when there has been nothing but a consistent move left. I think of Democrat stances of 30 years ago--they have become "extremist conservative" perspectives today. But there isn't the same going the other direction.
Perhaps decades from now there will be a full-blown push in the other direction. Perhaps not. But my point was in regard to current culture an..d its influences on the current populace. The progressive left has its values echoed in just about every cultural element; the conservative right does not. I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

sugarcoater wrote:
6 months ago
The progressive left has its values echoed in just about every cultural element; the conservative right does not. I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise.
I just saw a twitter of a school giving cupcakes to any K-8 student who identifies as anything non-hetero and all the hetero kids had to go to class and get nothing. Not new. In my day the "good kids" who belonged to the church got treats while the rest of us got nothing. Events in public school were for them, not for us.

These are the SAME people. Its not left or right. Its social busy body managers vs the rest of us and they either hijack religion or woke. Church lady is church lady no matter what cause is used as a power base. Every woke teacher today would be a church lady in 1960s strictly being unfair to the "undesirable" kids.

A fair portion of the people the left are fighting now are actually democrats and old liberals.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
6 months ago
A fair portion of the people the left are fighting now are actually democrats and old liberals.
Are you SURE about this Mr. X? I see you pull it out a lot and it feels strongly of an 'In my opinion I see this a lot' kind of argument and it's one that 'in my opinion' I don't see it replicated in reality basically at all. The left don't really seem to HAVE to fight themselves and old liberals, the hard right conservatives are WAY to loud and obnoxious, they make themselves a fairly uniformly unlikable front for the majority of the 'left' to rally against. Infighting usually happens when you're comfortably unopposed (I imagine its the same vice versa except that we can see how fractured the RIGHT is literally just playing out in the senate house) There currently appears to be FAR less left infighting than right infighting.

Feels more like wishful thinking on your part.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
6 months ago
theScribbler wrote:
6 months ago
sugarcoater wrote:
6 months ago

I'm not arguing any of that.
I was only countering...
sugarcoater wrote:
6 months ago
But I do appreciate you listing the vast collection of...two.
He says I listed two. I prove I listed more.
Altho at the time of my posting with wiki link, I wasn't thinking this was a numbers game. Had I thought that I might have tried harder.

I'm not arguing in bad faith. I was pointing out the obvious.
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
6 months ago
Mr. X wrote:
6 months ago
Are you SURE about this Mr. X? I see you pull it out a lot and it feels strongly of an 'In my opinion I see this a lot' kind of argument and it's one that 'in my opinion' I don't see it replicated in reality basically at all. The left don't really seem to HAVE to fight themselves and old liberals, the hard right conservatives are WAY to loud and obnoxious, they make themselves a fairly uniformly unlikable front for the majority of the 'left' to rally against. Infighting usually happens when you're comfortably unopposed (I imagine its the same vice versa except that we can see how fractured the RIGHT is literally just playing out in the senate house) There currently appears to be FAR less left infighting than right infighting.

The right isn't in schools right now insisting on prayer or creationism or bibles. But the left is with woke and their views. And if you can't stand disagreement then you don't know what diversity is. Diversity is NOT someone showing up with a spicy new dish at the pot luck. But the right doesn't have to do anything. Just sit back and let the Muslims and chinese make the left eat their own dog food. Michigan Muslim city council voted out all crt and woke from schools.

What ever fight you think you're fighting is meaningless. But yes, keep chasing the 1980s right wing car keys.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

sugarcoater wrote:
6 months ago

Sorry bud, but your argument is in bad faith. You include so many tiny news outlets along with a handful of semi-mainstream news outlets. We could go all day coming up with the smallest of "news" outlets. "Taki's Magazine"?! Who is reading that? Have you ever been to that website, magazine, or whatever that is? Be honest. Did you just Google "right-wing news" and copy-and-paste the list? How many of those sites, magazines or newspapers have you actually looked into?
Clearly you don't know what argument in bad faith means.

I only pointed out you rushed to the wrong claim:
sugarcoater wrote:
6 months ago
I posted more and proved it. Case closed.
sugarcoater wrote:
6 months ago

My point holds: the mainstream outlets of news and culture--sports, music, movies, TV shows, streaming series, social media, news outlets, etc.--all predominantly lean left. You listing those outlets in a way makes my point: other than a few large outlets, it is mostly small and obscure outlets carrying conservative and moderate perspectives.
Your point holds for you in your bubble world only. In the real world, it's much more equal, much more even.

If you can't find conservative youtube channels, conservative radio shows, conservative podcasts, not my problem. I don't care enough to look for them for you. I have heard of Bannon's Warroom show, maybe he speaks your language. Have at it.
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Femina wrote:
6 months ago
Mr. X wrote:
6 months ago

The problem with the GOP is the hard right, as you call it, fight too much, just for the sake of fighting, often with no point to it, seemingly to further their brand more than advocate for conservative principles, and the other half of the party doesn't fight enough, they seem happy enough to see the left run roughshod over them. The sin of the GOP from my biased perch is that the GOP have been complacent, they felt that in a vacuum, their values and ideals, the righteousness of them would win the day and prevail because they were "good and right". That mindset was totally stupid, conservatives must always fight for their ideals, conservatives took their eyes off the balls starting in the 80's, maybe earlier with these hippie professors from the 60's who hated America and decided to indoctrinate, not educate kids going to college to seek an education. Conservatives did nothing to stop this hate America first ideology in our colleges and universities, so now our chickens are coming home to roost with places like Harvard.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

When I posted this and I did check with one the moderators first, I thought it was pretty clear she was fired(btw they didn't have the guts to contact her) for being pro Israel and that was worth discussing.
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

theScribbler wrote:
6 months ago
sugarcoater wrote:
6 months ago

Clearly you don't know what argument in bad faith means.

I only pointed out you rushed to the wrong claim:
sugarcoater wrote:
6 months ago
I posted more and proved it. Case closed.
sugarcoater wrote:
6 months ago

Your point holds for you in your bubble world only. In the real world, it's much more equal, much more even.

If you can't find conservative youtube channels, conservative radio shows, conservative podcasts, not my problem. I don't care enough to look for them for you. I have heard of Bannon's Warroom show, maybe he speaks your language. Have at it.

You are both changing the argument (that liberal/left-wing perspectives are found in almost every part of our culture as mainstream whereas conservative/right-wing perspectives are not nearly as easily found in every part of our culture). You only focused on one aspect--news reporting--and presented PRECISELY TWO EXAMPLES to which I initially responded. Here is what you wrote, in case you already forgot what you wrote:

"Have you not heard of Fox News?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... e_websites"

You literally gave TWO EXAMPLES! My very next post was addressing your TWO examples.
You subsequently took to Google, did a quick search, and copy-and-pasted what you found from Wikipedia. I posted above the source you used. You made no argument but merely took the laziest of data presentations: copying-and-pasting something posted on line and said "so there". That is not an argument, nor does it take into consideration the actual traffic and use of those sites. For all you know, "Taki's Magazine" has a subscription rate of 10.

You're then make this illogical point: "If you can't find conservative youtube channels, conservative radio shows, conservative podcasts, not my problem."
What does that have to do with anything? What does me finding or not finding those outlets have to do with the point of mainstream media/news channels being predominately left-leaning? There certainly are conservative podcasts, and there are many liberal podcasts too. But that's not the point. My point is that mainstream culture--which would include mainstream news stations--leans left as an almost monolithic group. The average person consuming culture will come across a ton more liberal material than conservative material. THAT IS AND WAS THE ARGUMENT. You are trying to change it rather than address it. At the airport or in a gym, mainstream news channels are playing and the average person will happen to see it. The average person will not randomly come across a podcast--they have to seek it out. The average person will see trailers for movies and likes to take in stories. The average sports fan follows sports. The average person likes music. All those areas of culture are primarily left-leaning. THAT IS THE POINT I MADE AND CONTINUE TO MAKE.
Feel free to continue the debate, but stop using bad evidence (a cut-and-paste Wikipedia list) and changing the argument or lying (you literally used two examples to which I made my address).

To use your words: I posted how your argument is wrong. Case closed.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!

Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
6 months ago
When I posted this and I did check with one the moderators first, I thought it was pretty clear she was fired(btw they didn't have the guts to contact her) for being pro Israel and that was worth discussing.
You can’t be fired if you don’t have an employment contract in the first place. It’s funny how the view that private businesses should be able to do what they want flies out the window when a private business chooses not to contract someone who amplifies gross generalisations about Islam.

Gina Carano wasn’t under contract either. So likening conservatives to Jews in 1930s Germany or being a vocal anti-vaxxer during a global pandemic aren’t exactly great for employment prospects
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

theScribbler wrote:
6 months ago

He says I listed two. I prove I listed more.
Altho at the time of my posting with wiki link, I wasn't thinking this was a numbers game. Had I thought that I might have tried harder.

I'm not arguing in bad faith. I was pointing out the obvious.
You are completely arguing in bad faith. It is bad faith--essentially lying--to claim you had presented more than two examples when you only did that after it was posted in response to your two examples that you had only posted two examples.

As for the numbers game, it was never merely a numbers game. The argument centered around MAINSTREAM outlets. You know full-well you had never heard of most of the Wikipedia entries. I would bet just about any conservative, moderate or liberal hasn't heard of most of those outlets. Your list was merely a useless deviation and distraction from the point, which is how most American cultural influences lean left. Digging up a list of obscure sources of conservative news does not even begin to counter the point. To use the example I referenced earlier, when did you ever see "Taki's Magazine"on display in a magazine rack (if that's even where it would be found)? Yet you clump it in as part of your counter to my list of Rolling Stone, The New York Times, The Washington Post, NPR, NBC, ABC, MSNBC, CNN, Time, the Associated Press. You really don't think we could come up with a HUGE list of leftist and progressive sources the equivalent of "Taki's Magazine"? Compare apples to apples, not apples to jackfruit.

If you are up for the discussion, then please stick to the argument of analyzing the balance in American culture of liberal and conservative messaging. To go back to the point: music, movies, series, news outlets, social media, sports, schools/academia, tech are all cultural aspects of America that predominantly lean left. This is the crux of the argument. Your only counter was to hone in on one--news outlets--and post a list from Wikipedia and then claim you dismissed the entire argument. That doesn't even begin to address the argument, and it doesn't begin to dismiss the argument.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!

sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
6 months ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
6 months ago
You can’t be fired if you don’t have an employment contract in the first place. It’s funny how the view that private businesses should be able to do what they want flies out the window when a private business chooses not to contract someone who amplifies gross generalisations about Islam.

Gina Carano wasn’t under contract either. So likening conservatives to Jews in 1930s Germany or being a vocal anti-vaxxer during a global pandemic aren’t exactly great for employment prospects
I don't know if it's an inconsistency when it comes to people's views on businesses so much as a case-by-case basis of the matter. Having a nuanced view on a touchy subject or an emotional response to a horrific act is one thing; espousing hateful or bigoted views is another. My sense is the objection comes down to how people interpret the post and where their allegiance lies.
I just think businesses should simply ignore the loud but small minority vocally complaining and looking to be aggrieved at any potential slight and just release the statement: "Our employees are allowed to express their views; our business is simply in the business of providing X." Short of an egregiously vile post, the online outrage mob will quickly move on to their next victim and the business will be just fine. Not sure if this is a perfect example, but I recall the outrage mob coming for Netflix over the Dave Chapelle special. Netflix held its ground, the outrage mob moved on.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!

Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
6 months ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
6 months ago

Yes they were both employees at will. I just feel in both case they were fired for in Strong case for being pro Israel and Carano's case for pointing put facism

and as one of the leading Jewish voices Ben Shapriro agrees with me I think it has merit.

As na aside Wikiepdia is dominated by anti semetic terrorist supporting admins who won't let Pro israelis or Zionists like me post.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
6 months ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
6 months ago

If the Gina Carano thing was organic, I could accept it the same way Al Campanis and Jimmy "the Greek" Snyder got justly and rightly got fired pre social media days, but I see the folks who engineer and advocate for cancel culture being a tiny but vocal minority who are successful in getting folks fired, cancel culture folks are successful in creating this mirage, this social media echo chamber, making folks think there numbers are greater than they really are. This is my typically long winded way of saying cancel culture is not a cross representation of folks from diverse backgrounds or mindsets who happen to come to the same conclusion. These are orchestrated efforts. No question what Carano said was stupid, but if we had to cancel every celebrity who made stupid or controversial remarks we would have trouble rounding up stars for films and television! Yes, that was a joke, but just yesterday I saw a tweet from someone trying to get Emily Blunt cancelled for fat shaming a waitress at a restaurant. That is the kind of insanity that happens when cancel culture is brought to it's logical conclusion. Social media is a terrible way to gauge outrage because some of it is real and legitimate, and some of it is also performative outrage in a contest to see who can express their opinion in a way where it will get the most clicks and get noticed. When does legitimate and real outrage end, and where does the performative outrage of social media begin? Damned if I know.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Social media campaigns, whether grassroots or astroturfed, do not make the final decision on who gets "cancelled". The decisions on who gets hired or fired in movies and TV are ultimately made by multi-billion dollar businesses. The buck stops with the execs. Nobody else.

There seems to be a serf-like reluctance to place responsibility on the very well-paid people who actually make these decisions. So the poor, poor execs are merely victims of the nebulous "woke mob", just like Strong and Carano.

Mustn't blame the poor old millionaires and billionaires. Doff cap, tug forelock.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
6 months ago
Femina wrote:
6 months ago
Mr. X wrote:
6 months ago

The right isn't in schools right now insisting on prayer or creationism or bibles. But the left is with woke and their views. And if you can't stand disagreement then you don't know what diversity is. Diversity is NOT someone showing up with a spicy new dish at the pot luck. But the right doesn't have to do anything. Just sit back and let the Muslims and chinese make the left eat their own dog food. Michigan Muslim city council voted out all crt and woke from schools.

What ever fight you think you're fighting is meaningless. But yes, keep chasing the 1980s right wing car keys.
Another stupid strawman metaphor brought to you by Mr. X.

NONE of which, has anything whatsoever to do with the left 'fighting' themselves as you indicated. The 'woke' in school pushing their agendas aren't FIGHTING one another. The only people that DON'T want the woke shit spreading ARE the right who'd like to remove kids from school to put them in their own right wing indoctrination center schools, not other leftist schools. So I ask you again...
Mr. X wrote:
6 months ago
ARE YOU SURE?

bushwackerbob wrote:
6 months ago
The problem with the GOP is the hard right, as you call it, fight too much, just for the sake of fighting, often with no point to it, seemingly to further their brand more than advocate for conservative principles, and the other half of the party doesn't fight enough, they seem happy enough to see the left run roughshod over them. The sin of the GOP from my biased perch is that the GOP have been complacent, they felt that in a vacuum, their values and ideals, the righteousness of them would win the day and prevail because they were "good and right". That mindset was totally stupid, conservatives must always fight for their ideals, conservatives took their eyes off the balls starting in the 80's, maybe earlier with these hippie professors from the 60's who hated America and decided to indoctrinate, not educate kids going to college to seek an education. Conservatives did nothing to stop this hate America first ideology in our colleges and universities, so now our chickens are coming home to roost with places like Harvard.
I have a hard time believing this is true after they literally revoked a constitutionally protected right via their 'moralizing'... but I guess it's possible they might have already done more and worse by now if they could just get along.

Also, I very strongly reject your take on university live. It's a VERY common fallacy outside of academia that the students are mindless drones incapable of coming to their own opinions about shit as well. The only difference between a college student and an ordinary citizen is that the student has easy and consistent access to intensive study material and the TIME to study allotted into their living habits. It is not, and has never been indoctrination into 'hating America' it's simply the natural result of academia growing up enough to recognizing that the long held myths about America's history and progress aren't the shining beacon's of truth and justice and good old righteous awesomeness that we were TOLD it was as children. So you see, it's not that anybody in college HATES America... it's just they recognize that America ain't the hot sexy catholic schoolgirl we thought she was when we were 16, and we can see she's been a bit of a sociopathic bad girl all along.... she's not a WORSE bad girl than most other places, we've just accepted that she's NOT what we were told to believe she was... we have the tools and the texts and the time to study what she actually is, and we view her, and judge her accordingly.

And I'm dragging us off topic. Feel free to make a response, it's only fair, but I probably won't reply back after... just on the basis I don't wanna drag this so far off topic that everybody forgets this is supposed to be about Tera Strong xD. HOWEVER on THAT score...
If the Gina Carano thing was organic, I could accept it the same way Al Campanis and Jimmy "the Greek" Snyder got justly and rightly got fired pre social media days, but I see the folks who engineer and advocate for cancel culture being a tiny but vocal minority who are successful in getting folks fired, cancel culture folks are successful in creating this mirage, this social media echo chamber, making folks think there numbers are greater than they really are. This is my typically long winded way of saying cancel culture is not a cross representation of folks from diverse backgrounds or mindsets who happen to come to the same conclusion. These are orchestrated efforts. No question what Carano said was stupid, but if we had to cancel every celebrity who made stupid or controversial remarks we would have trouble rounding up stars for films and television! Yes, that was a joke, but just yesterday I saw a tweet from someone trying to get Emily Blunt cancelled for fat shaming a waitress at a restaurant. That is the kind of insanity that happens when cancel culture is brought to it's logical conclusion. Social media is a terrible way to gauge outrage because some of it is real and legitimate, and some of it is also performative outrage in a contest to see who can express their opinion in a way where it will get the most clicks and get noticed. When does legitimate and real outrage end, and where does the performative outrage of social media begin? Damned if I know.
There's zero evidence of just how large or small the actual minority or majority of the voices clamoring for cancelations actually are or aren't. This is, and always has been, a preference game. If you want to believe it's a small minority causing it to happen to fulfil some 'tyranny of the minority' fantasy you can.... but it's EQUALLY justifiably imaginable to assume it's PRACTICALLY everyone who looks at the tweet, and swamping the poor down on their luck corporations with so much social pressure they have basically NO CHOICE but to comply or else suffer monetary loses... and these are excuses that are bandied by everyone during a cancelation in whichever direction is most beneficial to the involved parties reputations. I've never found there to be any convincing evidence one way or the other. In reality it most probably varies case by case. SOME cancelations probably are just a loud and vocal minority... some are probably fairly unanimous hoards. Just depends on the situation, the people involved, and how many people care about these factors.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Ok this shit show is over.

It's 1:15 am here and I'm just gonna lock it and pick up the pieces next time I'm on. We've had various posts reported so someone will go through this at some point but in the meantime I'm locking it until it's reviewed when it will either be deleted or cleaned up or unlocked. Haven't read any of it yet and I'm too tired to start now
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).