Thundercats series (Dynamite, 2024)

shevek
Producer
Producer

Everyone knows that mainstream Big 2 comic book sales have been plummeting precipitously and hurting direct market comic shops,
with the only momentum in the industry being the meteoric rise of manga, and to a smaller extent, YA graphic novels.

Even the mainstream comic book site shills and some of the superstar creators inexorably tied to their jobs at the Big 2 have had to admit as of late that things are not going well, although they will acknowledge some reasons why, while utterly denying others.

What we can say, however, is that substantial number of Gen X-age comic buyers (40 to 60) walked away from the hobby starting around 2014-16
when they noticed that a lot of the legacy characters they had come to enjoy were being disrespected or replaced or that didactic and strident political messages were being conveyed in a genre that was primarily intended to entertain.

Again, I repeat: there are MANY reasons why the mainstream comic book industry is suffering. But this is definitely one of them. If it wasn't, there wouldn't be thousands of disgruntled fans, and dozens of Youtube channels, complaining about it, while many of them have gone off to support other publishers which better reflect their interests.

In any case, these Gen-X readers grew up in the late 70s, all of the 80s, and a good part of the 90s. They have often said that they prefer comics which remind them of that time period (to our credit, Heroineburgh is one of those).

So, recently, a interesting trend has emerged which reflects this exact sentiment. The postmodern types have thoroughly taken over the Big 2 (and many aspects of the next 3 biggest companies as well) but what they didn't have a handle on were properties that pop up from time to time but don't necessarily have a steady publication schedule to infiltrate.

A lot of these sporadic titles are nostalgia based IP from the 80s and 90s which are mainly available as licensed properties, since the companies that own them (such as Hasbro) do not necessarily print comics themselves. Some of these properties, such as Masters of the Universe, have unfortunately been meddled with due to the existence of a current cartoon. But there are many others that the ideologues have simply neglected
or that have been poorly received (such as the Aubrey Sitterson GI Joe run on IDW, or the blink-and-you-missed-it Thundercats Roar TV show with the terrible CalArts aesthetic).

But here are some recent examples of nostalgia IP successes that have blossomed while the industry has plummeted:
- Boom! has had the Power Rangers license since 2016, and it's one of the main things still keeping that company afloat. There's never been a single instance of political messaging that I can find. Fans just continue to enjoy the books.
- Skybound is Robert Kirkman's imprint on Image. After his incredible success with both Walking Dead and Invincible, he's been snapping up IPs which did not do as well at other companies like IDW (which did have some woke injections) and revitalizing them. The new Transformers series on Skybound is the surprise hit of the year, in some cases literally helping to keep comic shops afloat. And GI Joe seems on track to be next.
- Dynamite, one of the kings of politically-neutral licensing publishers, revived the Gargoyles title in 2022 and has, of course, kept alive the names of the sexy likes of Red Sonja and Barbarella (both of whom now have movies coming soon).

So here's the latest surprising news where a nostalgia property brings Gen-X back to the shops, and it could be one of the biggest comic book stories of 2024. The new Thundercats series on Dynamite has pre-ordered 100,000 copies through the direct market, And while that does not reach the frenzy levels of the 90s where X-Men titles could sell 500K, it does temporarily outstrip the offerings from current Batman, Superman, Spider-Man and X-Men.

https://www.superherohype.com/comics/56 ... -pre-sales

The book is written by Irish writer Declan Shalvey, who seems to be known for mostly straight-ahead comic book action. He has absolutely no politics on his Twitter - just action-packed comics promotion.

Here are two sexy variants starring Cheetara for Issues 1 and 2.
Art is by Ivan Tao and Lucio Parrillo.
The series is in stores Feb 7.

What do you think? Will you be checking this out if Cheetara looks hot?
Thundercats-01-E-Tao.jpg
Thundercats-01-E-Tao.jpg (667.28 KiB) Viewed 930 times
Thundercats-02-B-Parrillo.jpg
Thundercats-02-B-Parrillo.jpg (528.73 KiB) Viewed 930 times
tmon
Elder Member
Elder Member

I know the author of the Barbarella comic series. Sarah Hoyt does NOT write WOKE material. She is guest of honor at Confinement a S/F convention in Lebanon TN. March 1-3, 2024 https://www.confinementcon.org
shevek
Producer
Producer

tmon wrote:
3 months ago
I know the author of the Barbarella comic series. Sarah Hoyt does NOT write WOKE material. She is guest of honor at Confinement a S/F convention in Lebanon TN. March 1-3, 2024 https://www.confinementcon.org
Well aware of that. I covered this in my thread about the Barbarella comic. https://superheroineforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=35721

Hoyt is libertarian and was part of Larry Correia's 'Sad Puppies'. Apparently, she has been able to survive that and still thrive with books and comics.
Her Barbarella books are whimsical and sexy, and the art is generally beautiful. She's been doing that series for Dynamite for almost four years now, so it must be at least somewhat successful, and it doesn't look like anyone has tried to attack her or cancel her. Under the radar, I guess.

If you can attend that Con in TN and get some stuff signed, I would highly recommend it (and report back with photos!).

Hope there's interest in the reappearance of what is hopefully classic Thundercats action!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I always wondered if they were smooth skinned or had a thin fur.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 months ago
I always wondered if they were smooth skinned or had a thin fur.
Fur in all the right places!!!
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

I never watched Thundercats or knew anything about the characters.

In 2018, however, I attended the Northeast Comic-Con in Boxborough, Massachusetts, the same one you went to in 2021, Shevek.

There wasn’t much to look at there but there was a Cheetara. I really didn’t know much about Cheetara other than this was an attractive young woman in a leotard. That alone made that weekend worthwhile.
sam
Sargeant
Sargeant

Speaking of Thundercats...

Wishful thinking but, if this scene is recreated with Cheetara I would lose my absolute mind

tmon
Elder Member
Elder Member

I already have my ticket!!
shevek wrote:
3 months ago
tmon wrote:
3 months ago
Well aware of that. I covered this in my thread about the Barbarella comic. https://superheroineforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=35721

Hoyt is libertarian and was part of Larry Correia's 'Sad Puppies'. Apparently, she has been able to survive that and still thrive with books and comics.
Her Barbarella books are whimsical and sexy, and the art is generally beautiful. She's been doing that series for Dynamite for almost four years now, so it must be at least somewhat successful, and it doesn't look like anyone has tried to attack her or cancel her. Under the radar, I guess.

If you can attend that Con in TN and get some stuff signed, I would highly recommend it (and report back with photos!).

Hope there's interest in the reappearance of what is hopefully classic Thundercats action!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

There is a scene with Cheetarah where she's mummified wit the rest of the cats in Mumra's tomb.

I so loved this era. Sure they were selling toys but they came up with some creative stuff.
argento
Overlord
Overlord

Thank you, Shevec, for the pleasant memories. The Parrillo's artwork is excellent.
shevek
Producer
Producer

You're welcome, Argento.
IMSancho wrote:
3 months ago
I never watched Thundercats or knew anything about the characters.

In 2018, however, I attended the Northeast Comic-Con in Boxborough, Massachusetts, the same one you went to in 2021, Shevek.

There wasn’t much to look at there but there was a Cheetara. I really didn’t know much about Cheetara other than this was an attractive young woman in a leotard. That alone made that weekend worthwhile.
Yes, I remember meeting you in 2021. That was awesome. You stayed and checked out the episode we showed in the panel room.

I also recall you liked the costume of Stellara, too. And it wasn't because her name rhymes with Cheetara :)

Here's a memory from that Con - pretty sure you were in the room for this photo: Casey E (who was playing Stellara at the time) sitting right behind a video still of her character knocked out and spread eagled in her tight shiny blue costume. With Marvin to the left, of course!
stellara & marvin at NortheastCon panel.jpg
stellara & marvin at NortheastCon panel.jpg (140.28 KiB) Viewed 622 times
Anyway, back to Thundercats!