Ruby Sunday gone on Monday

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Well the dumpster fire that is Doctor Who has already put out word that a new companion has already been selected

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/ruby- ... 877c&ei=19

It is not going to be Davies version but Disney directions running the show

Poor Gutwa hitting the TARDIS with a large hammer, pure Disney
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

She's not the first, and probably won't be the last, Companion that was only around for a single season. Doctor Who has always been extremely fluid with it's cast (of which 14 different actors and an actress playing the lead character at some time or other can attest). This is nothing new or particularly newsworthy outside of general 'this is what's happening' information.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
3 months ago
She's not the first, and probably won't be the last, Companion that was only around for a single season. Doctor Who has always been extremely fluid with it's cast (of which 14 different actors and an actress playing the lead character at some time or other can attest). This is nothing new or particularly newsworthy outside of general 'this is what's happening' information.
except but they invested a lot of PR on this companion giving her a lot of media attention.

But other than Martha Jones all the new Who companions were a loser parade
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Do you ever not think Dazzle that it's quite directly not aimed at you? There is never going to be a version of Dr Who that aligns with anything you stand for and there never has been. They don't want you in the audience.

You get The Orville and Firefly. Those are the science fiction shows for you.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish wrote:
2 months ago
They don't want you in the audience.
Classic Who may not have been 100% diverse but it most certainly never actively alienated an audience segment.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish wrote:
2 months ago
Do you ever not think Dazzle that it's quite directly not aimed at you? There is never going to be a version of Dr Who that aligns with anything you stand for and there never has been. They don't want you in the audience.

Dogfish did you and the BBC ever think that long time fans like me are who it

Considering the rating and the international following were far greater in the era I praise, the Classic adult era.

As far as Firefly it was garbage, my non DW and ST shows were: Farscape, First season of Space 1999, most of Andromeda and Earth Final Conflict and Blake 7
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Mr. X wrote:
2 months ago
Dogfish wrote:
2 months ago
They don't want you in the audience.
Classic Who may not have been 100% diverse but it most certainly never actively alienated an audience segment.
I mean it sort of never had to. It's audience of nerds was self-selecting and massively underserved. Most people weren't into it, didn't watch it.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
2 months ago
Dogfish wrote:
2 months ago

Considering the rating and the international following were far greater in the era I praise, the Classic adult era.

As far as Firefly it was garbage, my non DW and ST shows were: Farscape, First season of Space 1999, most of Andromeda and Earth Final Conflict and Blake 7
So you're in it for nostalgia, but it doesn't want to be nostalgia, it wants to be something new. That's probably for the best.

Nostalgia gets you The Book of Boba Fett or The Force Awakens.

Trying something new gets you (at best) Andor and (at worst) The Last Jedi. You've got to try to roll that hard six though, or else there's no point.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish wrote:
2 months ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
2 months ago
Dogfish wrote:
2 months ago

So you're in it for nostalgia, but it doesn't want to be nostalgia, it wants to be something new. That's probably for the best.

Nostalgia gets you The Book of Boba Fett or The Force Awakens.

Trying something new gets you (at best) Andor and (at worst) The Last Jedi. You've got to try to roll that hard six though, or else there's no point.
Not so much Nostalga as what is good. The Tom Baker episodes for the most part are time less and better thananything Davies or the rest ever did
The problem for poor Nutwa is that he has to play a terrible role, likewise Jodie Whittaker was such a softie, it was pathetic.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Yeah you're right nobody is beating Tom Baker.

I mean, the only even remotely plausible explanation for how great he was in the role is that he's actually a real Time Lord and he spent a generation making a TV show.

The format doesn't really help either though. I think the show misses being something like half a dozen at least really savage cliffhangers per story bolted together with filler material. People undervalue structure. The new show, specifically because of its structure, lacks that impact. That's not something that can be fixed in casting. Also I can't envisage a situation where a guy gives a guy with an FN-FAL the order "Chap with the wings, five rounds rapid" we don't say that kind of thing any more.

But it still has it's fans. Even if they are never going to get the same hit from it as fans of the classics.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The cliffhanger format they had worked well.