Are these characters superheroine-like to you?

General discussions about superheroines!
emile
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

Would you consider these TV characters to be superheroine-like?

1. Gena Lee Nolin as Sheena
2. Xena
3. Tomb Hunter
4. Jennifer Garner in Alias

Did you wait by the TV hoping for some peril/beat down?
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

emile wrote:
3 weeks ago

2. Xena
3. Tomb Hunter

Xena yes.

After all she could go toe to toe with a demi God Heracles.

And that was before they jumped the shark and she was able to kill the Olympian gods
cannonfodder
Henchman
Henchman

Dazzle1 wrote:
3 weeks ago
emile wrote:
3 weeks ago

2. Xena
3. Tomb Hunter

Xena yes.

After all she could go toe to toe with a demi God Heracles.

And that was before they jumped the shark and she was able to kill the Olympian gods
Its that power creep. Superman use to just jump really high, now he flies as fast as some Flash's.
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

TV Sheena can shapeshift right? In a way that makes her a superheroine.
Check out my superheroine-related short stories here:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/brdiy/works
shevek
Producer
Producer

emile wrote:
3 weeks ago

2. Xena
3. Tomb Hunter

Sheena and Xena are most definitely superheroines. They have "powers" and they're in comic books. I would even say they're in the Top 20
superheroines of all time (at least, I'd say that surely for Xena, just based on her vast influence alone). Same thing with Red Sonja.

The other two, not really. But if Lara Croft, for example, found a magic amulet in a tomb which gave her powers, then she would be.
I was always wishing that would happen with Tia Carrere on Relic Hunter, although her adventures were certainly sexy enough as is.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
3 weeks ago
emile wrote:
3 weeks ago

2. Xena
3. Tomb Hunter

Sheena and Xena are most definitely superheroines. They have "powers" and they're in comic books. I would even say they're in the Top 20
superheroines of all time (at least, I'd say that surely for Xena, just based on her vast influence alone). Same thing with Red Sonja.

The other two, not really. But if Lara Croft, for example, found a magic amulet in a tomb which gave her powers, then she would be.
I was always wishing that would happen with Tia Carrere on Relic Hunter, although her adventures were certainly sexy enough as is.
The Sheena from the comic books yes

The Sheena with Tanya Roberts no.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

I am not particularly hung up on powers. I would say you could make a case that a heroine could have special abilities, not necessarily super powers but a signature look or style. Batgirl is smart, athletic and multi-talented, but none of them are "super." Sheena has a preternatural ability to communicate with animals. They both have a signature look.

I've thought Penelope Pitstop or Paula Peril could fall into similar categories as they have a magical ability to get into and out of danger with astounding regularity. The Powers themselves really serve as a MacGuffins for getting attractive women into sexy outfits and dire peril.
MainGuy
Neophyte
Neophyte

I would say that all four of those mentioned are heroines, but that only Xena and maybe Sheena would qualify as superheroines.

As for the question of peril or beatdowns, there was a great episode of Sheena where she was captured and chained AOH. Gena Lee Nolin looked amazing in this scene. There were some great fight scenes in Alias and Jennifer Garner took a pretty good beating in some of them.
argento
Overlord
Overlord

According to the definition, superheroes are fictional characters with supernatural abilities. However, Batman is also considered a superhero despite lacking superpowers. Therefore, it could be any of the four mentioned.