Who is your favorite character, and why?

General discussions about superheroines!
cdrei
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Who is your favorite superhero or superheroine, and why do they appeal to you? Is it the character, the concept, the costume or visual appeal, some specific casting or portrayal of the character, a specific scene or scenario involving the character? Why do they resonate for you?

I've been thinking about this myself, and the question interests me. I'll just pose the question here, though, rather than post my jumbled thoughts at the start. I seem to have a knack for killing potentially interesting threads once I begin to babble on about my own favorite. :laugh:
athenaartemis
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

My favorite characters were the TV characters Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman, Yvonne Craig as Batgirl, Diedre Hall as Electra Woman and Judy Strangis as Dyna Girl, and Joanna Cameron as Isis. You had to love the beautiful women in those hot costumes. I liked the shows when the heroines themselves were in peril. The sexual tension in these shows was amazing. In fact sexual tension seems to have become a lost art in film, cable and clips worlds, yet it was probably the most important ingredient.

As the PC police, took over the networks these shows and later ones got increasingly dull because the heroines were in less and less danger, and the sexual tension simply vanished.

My ranking of the best shows seasons would probably be something like this:

1) Batgirl (Batman season 3)

2) Electra Woman and Dyna Girl

3) Wonder Woman season 1

4) Wonder Woman (seasons 2 and 3)

5) Isis (all seasons)

To me, Xena was invincible to the point of absurdity. I was never able to catch "Birds of Prey" on TV. Black Scorpion's sets were so dark you could never see anything. Queen of Swords and Shanna the Jungle Queen were just too PC.

-Tyr Garm
King2020
Neophyte Lvl 3
Neophyte Lvl 3

My favorite is Batgirl. To be precise: Batgirl in the comics. Because untill now there wasn't one really good tv-adaption.
The 66-Batgirl was sexy, but I don't really like the purple costume and the series was so cheezy...not my taste.
The Batgirl in Birds of Prey had a great sexy costume (except the damn mask without any strap or fixation...way too easy to be unmasked!), but she was only in one episode.
The Batgirl in Batman Forever...well...sexy costume (wrong mask...damit!) but Alicia Silverstone....? And the movie itself....well... :confused:
So I prefer Batgirl in the comics. Nearly all versions, but I really I love the "new" Batgirl comics with Barbara Gordon back in the suit.
I love batgirl so much because she's a strong character, her crime fighting, her sexy suits, her great mask (one of the few superheroines who is proberly masked).

I love Catwoman as well, but the present costume isn't so great as the old one from Jim Balent (comics).
And as well, there wasn't any really good interpretation of her character in the movies/series.

DAMN, we need a TV-series with Batgirl and Catwoman!
http://maskripper.wordpress.com/
You can hide behind your mask...but not for long!
---
http://frogwomen.wordpress.com/
Female scuba divers in action!
colt13
Neophyte Lvl 3
Neophyte Lvl 3

I liked Black Scorpion, both the movies and the show. Maybe because they knew they were being cheesy. Also for the fact that they were trying to make a statement as almost all of the villains were caused by accidents. Of course, the women became Playboy got, while the men were mutated.

To answer the question, G-Girl stands out to me, because it was created an an adult character. So sex actually exists.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

1960's Batgirl....why? CAUSE she made it possible for us girls to be heroines!! lol...(and made it ok to be tied up in kinky positions)
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

King2020 wrote:My favorite is Batgirl. To be precise: Batgirl in the comics. Because untill now there wasn't one really good tv-adaption.
The 66-Batgirl was sexy, but I don't really like the purple costume and the series was so cheezy...not my taste.
The Batgirl in Birds of Prey had a great sexy costume (except the damn mask without any strap or fixation...way too easy to be unmasked!), but she was only in one episode.
The Batgirl in Batman Forever...well...sexy costume (wrong mask...damit!) but Alicia Silverstone....? And the movie itself....well... :confused:
So I prefer Batgirl in the comics. Nearly all versions, but I really I love the "new" Batgirl comics with Barbara Gordon back in the suit.
I love batgirl so much because she's a strong character, her crime fighting, her sexy suits, her great mask (one of the few superheroines who is proberly masked).

I love Catwoman as well, but the present costume isn't so great as the old one from Jim Balent (comics).
And as well, there wasn't any really good interpretation of her character in the movies/series.

DAMN, we need a TV-series with Batgirl and Catwoman!
I agree that Batgirl's mask has never been done properly in the mainstream. The Reevez cowl used in Batgirl Spoiled and Bluestone's Darkwing is OK-ish, but it's a bit too helmety for my liking. My favorite real life Batgirl/Batwoman masks all come from fetish and parody versions.

[youtube][/youtube]
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
King2020
Neophyte Lvl 3
Neophyte Lvl 3

Yeah nice masks indeed! ^
My favorite mask (/cowl) is this one:

(out of my blog)

And the suit is damn sexy too... :ybat: :)
http://maskripper.wordpress.com/
You can hide behind your mask...but not for long!
---
http://frogwomen.wordpress.com/
Female scuba divers in action!
SGWriter
Story General
Story General

Shockingly I know I'm going to pick Supergirl.

I came into the character from Superman who I'd always been a fan of as a kid. Can't recall when I first realized the character existed but for sure it was with the STAS by Bruce Tim. Pretty much was hooked after that. Now there are the obviously reason to like Supergirl. She's basically every teenage guy's fantasy, a blonde cheerleader looking type, who also has that girl next door quality. She wears a tight costume and mini skirt.

Getting past that though I love the idea of her character. She's the complete opposite of Superman. Clark comes as a baby, grows up human but learns he's from somewhere else. The classic immigrant story.

Kara is the classic refugee story. She grew up on Krypton, her issue isn't coping with her powers so much like Clark, her's is how do I live on this alien (to her) world. Supergirl has lost everything she's ever known. Her story arc involves her learning what is great about Earth and humanity. To me as a reader and amateur writer, that grabs my interest.

Then of course in the end, Kara's a good person. Despite being on a strange world, trying to understand it, she still works to defend it. Supergirl indeed!

Peril wise I also love her weakness. Kryptonite, it just saps all her power and strength. In a way Supergirl has it easy. Her powers make her damn near invincible. But get one of those green rocks near her and she suddenly mortal. Now Kara has to use her mind or tap her remaining strength to escape and win. Even without powers, Supergirl rises to be the hero.

Hard to peg a favorite version of the character. I prefer for sure her classic origin as Superman's cousin and being a Kryptonian (no Angels or Shape-Shifters). I really liked the animated SG from DCAU (hated her T-Shirt costume though). Laura Vandervoot from Smallville did a great job just hated how she got the shaft in that show (funny since Kara in that show was more tough and heroic than Clark). While Helen Slater was certainly pretty and many's favorite Supergirl, I'm less enamored.

The Nu52 Supergirl has been okay so far. I don't like everything they've done with her so far but certainly they've played the drama of her dealing with life on Earth well. Will see where she goes in the future.
Attachments
Elemental-2646.jpg
Jenn is probably my favorite Supergirl Cosplayer, she is Supergirl!
Elemental-2646.jpg (471.07 KiB) Viewed 3225 times
hssg2.jpg
And for the HS fans ;-)
hssg2.jpg (54.59 KiB) Viewed 3225 times
Yes Supergirl, that's right its a necklace for you....What's the matter you don't like Kryptonite?
Tramnyn
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

King2020 wrote: Image
[/quote]
Which Batgirl is this? She is gorgeous!
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The model is Radeo from SuicideGirls.

http://suicidegirls.com/members/Jessyta ... ite/30466/#
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Batfetish
Sargeant
Sargeant

Of course Batgirl/Yvonne Craig! Because she seems to be very conservative, following morality rules, but on the other side she wear a supersexy costume and have a naive childish cute character. She is so adorable!! Batgirl 4 Ever
Centurion
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

As far as visual appeal of the costume goes, I don't think you can beat Wonder Woman or Supergirl. Bright colors, bare legs, and bare shoulders! Mmmmm! As far as characters themselves, my favorite heroines were probably Wonder Woman, the Wasp (the way she had a new costume every few months) and the original Ms. Marvel, Carol Danvers (although I hated the black costume with the lightning bolt across the chest). In fact my Fuchsia Fox is partly based on Ms. Marvel.
harriertalon
Henchman
Henchman

While I grew up loving Supergirl, and always will. My love of partners and sidekicks boosts Debra Winger in the Wonder Girl outfit to the top spot. Though we only got her in a few episodes, I loved her "junior grade" Wonder Woman outfit (hadn't earned those stars on the tights yet!) and her unflagging loyalty to Diana. She was precocious, an easy mark for hostage-bait (does anyone here NOT love her chloroform scenes?) and just damned cute in the outfit.

In that same vein I've always liked Dyna Girl as a foil to Electra Woman, and in a bit of gender switching, Robin's outfit (no matter who's donning it!)
cdrei
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

These are some really great responses. It's fascinating that we've all arrived at this interest from so many different directions. I've often made the mistake of assuming everyone else's reasons must be the same as mine, but they're all very different. :thumbup: