Ever lose an external drive? Happened to me.

General discussions about superheroines!
Camvoy
Producer
Producer

Had a bunch of stuff on it, too. A lot of superheroine stuff from Hypno, and some other sites/stores. I was rummaging through old items I have when I noticed my first ever external drive. 80 gigs, had some stuff on it. Also had my last external drive before getting away from the "plug in the wall" bulky types forever. Then I started looking for the other drive I had in between the other two I had purchased. It was the one with the most stuff. And it's missing.

I have managed to find things I almost forgot I had over the course of the weekend. But I can't find that external drive. Anyone else ever deal with this frustration? Because that's been my weekend so far.

Hopefully your weekend's been better. Oh...and hi, everyone.
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Lost ? Nope. Broken ? Sure... and it's not a good feeling. That's why it's suggested to do a backup every now and then in a second identical (or bigger) HD.
Camvoy
Producer
Producer

That's kinda what I was hoping to do this weekend. It's just weird that I found the other old drives just fine, but that one would be missing. Go figure.
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Yeah, I never trust everything to any one drive. I just bought an 8TB external drive, but I use it to back up files that are also on my machine's hard drive, so I always have two copies. In fact, for the stuff I really care about, like custom videos I paid hundreds of dollars for, I keep copies on my desktop, my laptop, and the backup drive, just to be safe. Hard drive space is so cheap, why not?

Keeping things on JUST a single backup drive is no safer than keeping them on your hard drive and never backing them up at all.
Camvoy
Producer
Producer

Trying to do the same, but it's hard to do when a drive's missing. The only other thing I see is looking up online and seeing what I can get (again). Meh. Guess I had to vent somewhere. LOL
Viraleus
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

Sorry about your troubles, Camvoy. Hopefully the drive turns up. I've had hard drives fail on me and it is THE WORST. A solemn reminder to back up routinely.
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Viraleus wrote:Sorry about your troubles, Camvoy. Hopefully the drive turns up. I've had hard drives fail on me and it is THE WORST. A solemn reminder to back up routinely.
Yeah, it's too bad we always think about this stuff after it's already too late.
viking
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I guess you have already asked people you worked with and friends who share your interests if they might have borrowed it.
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

Another idea is to get some storage on the cloud somewhere. I use Box.net for a lot of my important stuff just in case. That way if my computer ever goes on the fritz I can just download it from the internet to my laptop or another PC.
penguin81
Sargeant
Sargeant

I burnt out one of the chips on a portable hard disk, 6-months of work down the toilet and a shit load of Supergirl stuff too, horrible >:(
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

penguin81 wrote:I burnt out one of the chips on a portable hard disk, 6-months of work down the toilet and a shit load of Supergirl stuff too, horrible >:(

In the past I was successful in transplanting platters from one disc to another if they were the same exact make and model. Worked enough to get everything off.
Richpartist
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Sorry about that.I hope you burned your movies onto dvd,that way you can always rip them off and add them to your new hard drive.

Richard