New Forum

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey guys,

Since there are a lot of new movies and TV shows that are of interest to us but not necessarily superheroine based, I thought I would open a discussion forum for those movies as well. We'll see how it goes!
mrestfla
Sargeant
Sargeant

:yes:
Last edited by mrestfla 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

MightyHypnotic wrote:Sure :) Maybe I should just call it Mainstream Movies and TV
Only if you want the name to accurately match the description you just gave. :)
mrestfla
Sargeant
Sargeant

:)
Last edited by mrestfla 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Hunter42
Sargeant
Sargeant

I'm surprised with all the superhero movies now flooding the theaters surely there would be interest in discussing them ... Hulk, Thor, X-men, Superman, Fantastic Four, Batman ... is there no one wanting a running dialog about these movies?
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Probably the reason there is no hero movie chat is cause these new movies have little to no babe sexapeal to them. What's sexy about the last 5 or so super hero movies? What's erotic? And I mean for us men not for women... plenty of stuff for women. Jackman's butt, lots of shirt off scenes in thor and capt america, The last ironman movie the only "hot chic" we get is a 50 year old Gwyneth Paltrow? And Johanson is nice but she's not showing a whole lot of actual skin or inspiring scenes of damseling. And lets face it, Gal Gadot isn't exactly going to push little boys through puberty.

If you're a girl ( or a gay guy), the market is great. Chris Hemsworth, Henry Cavill, Chris Evans, Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale.

But if you're a straight guy the market is pretty barren. I really have not seen a main stream movie staring a female that turned my crank in like the last 8 years. The market is shifted. Its for women and girls and not for men.

So what's there to talk about? This is a fetish after all and you kind of need fuel for the fire.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

There's going to be a Hulk movie?

:bh:
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
patmac4
Henchman
Henchman

companies are scared of doing a superheroine movie because they think it will fail. when you look at some superhero movie thay are crap. wrong choice of actor and very bad dialogue. the only good thing great special effect.
patmac4
Henchman
Henchman

supergirl batgirl wonder wonder birds of pery black widow spiderwoman she-hulk any of thsese can be made in a movie. if the studios had the balls to back them.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Rumor has it that Marvel will do a Black Widow movie. They are more likely to do more at least as TV series.

Warner Brothers has had such poor responses to Catwoman, the lousy Wonder Woman pilot, and the Birds of Prey series that it was years before they did Arrow and next season's the Flash and Gotham. If they weren't seeing so many Marvel movies, they wouldn't being doing any besides Batman and Superman where they had successes.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

"years before they did Arrow." You're forgetting 10 years of Smallville that preceded Arrow by one year.
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Yeah smallville worked for them And they had sexy women on smallville. But that was the point... they HAD sexy women.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

They all have sexy women, but that's not what my reply to Visitor's quote was about. Just pointing out he forgot about Smallville.
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
Ezekiel
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Hunter42 wrote:I'm surprised with all the superhero movies now flooding the theaters surely there would be interest in discussing them ... Hulk, Thor, X-men, Superman, Fantastic Four, Batman ... is there no one wanting a running dialog about these movies?
Eh, I find those movies to be really, really bad. :laugh:

I mean sure, there's lots explosions and special effects, but when that's the only thing that you've got, it's just making the said movies a mile wide and an inch deep. As long as the public is educated to consider that the state of the art, it's max money with minimum of effort for the companies, and not that much to run a dialogue around really.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Did some googling, seems a future Black Widow movie or future Hulk movie is just rumors without any known probability at the moment. Having already seen two Hulk movies, the Ed Norton one was best to me, I'm hoping more for Black Widow. Though I don't know how important that is, She's great in Capt. America the Winter Soldier, so Team up movies like that are just as good to me.

There are plenty of places/forums/blogs/magazine articles + comment sections where these movies get discussed. Hercules movie is coming up, I imagine the people here in talking about Hercules would mostly be interested in talking about the babes in it. Here's one...
Irina-Shayk-esquire-shoot-7-43.jpg
Irina-Shayk-esquire-shoot-7-43.jpg (42.9 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
Hunter42
Sargeant
Sargeant

Ezekiel wrote:
Hunter42 wrote:I'm surprised with all the superhero movies now flooding the theaters surely there would be interest in discussing them ... Hulk, Thor, X-men, Superman, Fantastic Four, Batman ... is there no one wanting a running dialog about these movies?
Eh, I find those movies to be really, really bad. :laugh:

I mean sure, there's lots explosions and special effects, but when that's the only thing that you've got, it's just making the said movies a mile wide and an inch deep. As long as the public is educated to consider that the state of the art, it's max money with minimum of effort for the companies, and not that much to run a dialogue around really.

Well, I never said they were good ... lol ... and from a later comment the Super Hero stories aren't at all about eroticism, but some here that write and read stories don't want all the story to be about "sex" ... but more like the comics and the movies just lots of kick ass action... so I just figured there would be more discussion such as how true to the original story line they followed ... and if the actors chosen for the parts were the best cast for the movie... guess that is kind of boring to some but I figured surely there was a circle of die hard Marvel or DC fans here that would love discussing them...
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

It feels to me that major studios are much more comfortable with putting a male hero in peril than a female hero. I think in this age of political correctness they're afraid of a market backlash with any mildly erotic female peril.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I remember Smallville and its success lead to Birds of Prey and Aquaman from the same development group. Birds of Prey got its one season and Aquaman never made it past the pilot. The show brought in so many guest roles for DC characters, but until they did Arrow and now the Flash spinoff DC went nowhere.

DC has had a string of failed live action shows including the Flash in the 1980s that lasted a season and was able to get Mark Hamill to appear as Jesse James aka the Trickster. The Justice League movie that never got released except on YouTube. The Wonder Woman pilot was the most recent big named failure.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

It seems the shows that have beginnings do better than the shows that just start at establishment. so the WW pilot just starts her off as Wonder Woman Inc. Birds of prey just starts off with Oracle already running missions with Huntress. Aquaman wasn't even close to the character.

The shows that seem to have staying power like Smallville and Arrow have beginnings with character development and compelling back stories. Arrow does it a bit different where they flash back on his time on the island but the show builds him up over time.

WW just starts her off as WW, already established and well known. We don't grow with her or learn about her and what she has become is a jerk no one really likes... a really scary jerk. Birds of prey just plops us down with Oracle. We don't see her be crippled, we see no development.

Other shows follow the same pattern. Buffy has us grow with the character. Xena as well. Your with them on their trip like with Clark in smalllville. Except for campiness value I doubt the old Superman saves Lois and Jimmy stories will work anymore where Superman is just some lunk saving people.

Heck even Lois and Clark START at a beginning.

WW probably would have been much better if they started Diana off arriving in California or New York and slowly building up her presence.
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The more I think about it, the more I think Mr. X has a point.
A superhero show has special effects, which means it needs a pretty hefty budget, which means it needs a lot of viewers to stay afloat.
I think shows like Arrow and Smallville can survive because the super powers are in an early stage (or non-existent) and so they can keep the budget down. Also, it helps to have a beginning because that has the potential to draw in mainstream viewers who may not necessarily know the characters or back story. Focusing more on story also probably doesn't hurt in terms of bringing in female viewers, who make up 50% of the population, but don't generally watch these kinds of shows.