Desperately Seeking.....

General discussions about superheroines!
rayman
Overlord
Overlord

Correct me if I am wrong, far from being a unique experience for me, but isn't supergirl always supergirl whether she wears her red and blue or not? i.e. her outfit has no bearing on her abilities?
Also isn't Wonder Woman just a mere mortal woman unless she transforms into her star spangled outfit or when a woman is she still an amazon and hence far stronger than any one man or is the original Lynda Carter series the benchmark and Wonder Woman in her civilian guise really is weak and vulnerable?

Any way here is what I am looking for, remember SHC UltraWoman when she is driving home in civies without her costume underneath and it is announced that although she is alway UltraWoman without her uniform on she is not at full strength and even when wearing her uniform it seems that if it is under other clothing she still doesn't have accress to the full capacity of all her powers?

Well I find this UltraWoman idea very exciting because fighting UltraWoman i her civies is a true super battle, where Wonder Woman is easy prey and supergirl even in civies is still full power supergirl.

Are there any other UltraWoman style heroines out there?
I mean shooting a civillian SG is pointless, shooting a civillian WW is instant death but shooting UltraWoman in her civies would not be fatal but I suspect would hurt like hell and cause considerable anguish and weakening until she can rally by revealing her uniform or fully transformong.

Any thoughts?
Creator of - Cobalt - Swiftstrike - Lady Death and more
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

A while back there was a thread on here about superheroine transformations, and one idea I pitched seemed to catch people's interest: a heroine whose nano-tech costume gives her power through solar energy. The chest logo is secretly a solar cell, so when she hides it under her everyday clothes she's de-powered, until she opens her shirt. I guess if you locked her in a dark room, or bound her so the ropes covered her chest, she'd also become mortal again.

I don't think any video producer used the idea, though.
rayman
Overlord
Overlord

five_red wrote:A while back there was a thread on here about superheroine transformations, and one idea I pitched seemed to catch people's interest: a heroine whose nano-tech costume gives her power through solar energy. The chest logo is secretly a solar cell, so when she hides it under her everyday clothes she's de-powered, until she opens her shirt. I guess if you locked her in a dark room, or bound her so the ropes covered her chest, she'd also become mortal again.

I don't think any video producer used the idea, though.
Thanks and that is a cool idea, I like battlesuits and or hi tech armour so such a superheroine I would definitely pay to see.
patmac4
Henchman
Henchman

there was a tv movie made a long time about a guy who uses the ray from the sun to be a superhero. with the rays he becomes weak. can't remember its name
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

patmac4 wrote:there was a tv movie made a long time about a guy who uses the ray from the sun to be a superhero. with the rays he becomes weak. can't remember its name
BIRD MAN!

Or you talking about the Puma?

Or that other series with the guy with the eyes who could manipulate things with light?
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

A long time ago I wrote a heroine whose powers seemed to come from an energy field created by wearing special gemstones that recharged in the absence of light. The field was dampened by (and would gradually break down) fabrics close to the skin. The more and thicker the fabric, the less power she could exert -- basically powerless in jeans and a t-shirt. No, I didn't call her Stripperella.
CustomSuperheroines
Producer
Producer

I can create this if there's enough demand.
Brad
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Which of these ideas are you talking about, Logan? There were several superheroine ideas suggested here.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

patmac4 wrote:there was a tv movie made a long time about a guy who uses the ray from the sun to be a superhero. with the rays he becomes weak. can't remember its name

The re was "The man with the Power" which was a guy who was half alien and he had the power to manipulate light.
CustomSuperheroines
Producer
Producer

Brad wrote:Which of these ideas are you talking about, Logan? There were several superheroine ideas suggested here.
Sorry, I forgot to quote it - I meant the original post...
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

If you're looking for existing scenes, there's the arm wrestling bit in The Greatest American Heroine -- heroine dressed in her civvies is losing until her bicep bursts her shirt sleeve, exposing the alien costume beneath.

rayman
Overlord
Overlord

five_red wrote:If you're looking for existing scenes, there's the arm wrestling bit in The Greatest American Heroine -- heroine dressed in her civvies is losing until her bicep bursts her shirt sleeve, exposing the alien costume beneath.

That is a great example of what I am talking about.

I suppose there can be many reasons behind the characters "power performance" but having normal clothing dampening her powers when her suit/costume is covered is the basic premise and without her outfit on at all she is very much depleted although still above the strength and stamina of a non super.

@Logan
I for one would defiitely be up for such a movie, perhaps you could create a thread seeking out interest as this topic will not pull in members like yours will due to the title and my lack of industry connections.

I am hopeful though and i know there are UltraWoman fans here.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

In that pilot she was faking losing since it had been already established that having the costume on under clothes would only affect flying because the cape couldn't be used. Showing part of the costume was more to clue the audience that the suit's powers were being used.
CustomSuperheroines
Producer
Producer

Honestly, it just appears to me that it's a variation of Green Lantern's ability to use powers... with the ring, powerful, without the ring, nada.
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

Logan wrote:Honestly, it just appears to me that it's a variation of Green Lantern's ability to use powers... with the ring, powerful, without the ring, nada.
An exhibitionist variation.
rayman
Overlord
Overlord

Logan wrote:Honestly, it just appears to me that it's a variation of Green Lantern's ability to use powers... with the ring, powerful, without the ring, nada.
I suppose so in a stretched fashion.
You know how many SG fans love when she reveals her S under her clothes well just think of Kara being relatively weak for her until she does the famous reveal, I just find it much more exciting than a flash band instant transformation
Blue-Scion

From my experience as a superheroine I can tell you that i am still super without my costume but my power and confidence are def increased when I don my suit and mask. Evil beware.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

five_red wrote:If you're looking for existing scenes, there's the arm wrestling bit in The Greatest American Heroine -- heroine dressed in her civvies is losing until her bicep bursts her shirt sleeve, exposing the alien costume beneath.

They did that routinely with Katt. When he was going to use suit powers under his clothes he'd expose a sleeve or neck or something but that was just a wink to the audience that he was using the powers. I guess one could say the suit only works when exposed to solar power.
Danny Ryan
Neophyte
Neophyte

rayman wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, far from being a unique experience for me, but isn't supergirl always supergirl whether she wears her red and blue or not? i.e. her outfit has no bearing on her abilities?
Also isn't Wonder Woman just a mere mortal woman unless she transforms into her star spangled outfit or when a woman is she still an amazon and hence far stronger than any one man or is the original Lynda Carter series the benchmark and Wonder Woman in her civilian guise really is weak and vulnerable?...
I believe you're right about Supergirl - she's no different from Superman in that respect; her costume is merely that: a costume. She's "super" whatever she wears.

As for Wonder Woman, I think that rather depends on how far back you want to go. Since at least George Perez, Wonder Woman is a superhuman of supernatural (i.e. moulded from clay and given life by the gods of Olympus) origin, and is no less powerful wearing sweats than she is wearing a star spangled bathing suit. She's still not bulletproof, but since she can withstand punches from Superman, I find it hard, personally, to imagine a bullet doing much damage! ;) There's been no invisible plane for more than thirty years (apart from an abortive attempt, a decade ago, to introduce some kind of shapeshifting invisible force/sidekick, but that idea died quickly), and she doesn't need it because she can fly.

Personally, I've never known what the connection between her power and her costume is - it must pre-date the 1980s since I don't think I've ever read anything like that in the comics. Was it, like the spinning transformation, invented for the TV show?
rayman
Overlord
Overlord

Danny Ryan wrote:
rayman wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, far from being a unique experience for me, but isn't supergirl always supergirl whether she wears her red and blue or not? i.e. her outfit has no bearing on her abilities?
Also isn't Wonder Woman just a mere mortal woman unless she transforms into her star spangled outfit or when a woman is she still an amazon and hence far stronger than any one man or is the original Lynda Carter series the benchmark and Wonder Woman in her civilian guise really is weak and vulnerable?...
I believe you're right about Supergirl - she's no different from Superman in that respect; her costume is merely that: a costume. She's "super" whatever she wears.

As for Wonder Woman, I think that rather depends on how far back you want to go. Since at least George Perez, Wonder Woman is a superhuman of supernatural (i.e. moulded from clay and given life by the gods of Olympus) origin, and is no less powerful wearing sweats than she is wearing a star spangled bathing suit. She's still not bulletproof, but since she can withstand punches from Superman, I find it hard, personally, to imagine a bullet doing much damage! ;) There's been no invisible plane for more than thirty years (apart from an abortive attempt, a decade ago, to introduce some kind of shapeshifting invisible force/sidekick, but that idea died quickly), and she doesn't need it because she can fly.

Personally, I've never known what the connection between her power and her costume is - it must pre-date the 1980s since I don't think I've ever read anything like that in the comics. Was it, like the spinning transformation, invented for the TV show?
Hi Danny
Must say quite an honour speaking to someone who has produced such amazing artwork that I have enjoyed.

Trouble is I have neve rbeen a comic reader so most of my superheroine knowledge is tv and movie based so WW is to me the Lynda Carter character who is powerless unless spin transformed and wearing her golden belt although i do prefer the more "super" WW like you describe.

I just find difernet levels or wekaening of super powers so appealing, kryptonite may be cool but fro what media i see it tends to be total wipeout and a powerless superheroine in peril is just not as good as a less than fully charged superheroine, I seldom see WW weakened just totaly depowered by her belt being removed or KO'd by chloro, that is why I enjoy the UltraWoman idea so much, just watched the prologue again UltraWoman Trap superb!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Danny Ryan wrote:

In the comics her bracelets are like heat sinks and they keep her "madness" in check. Away from the island amazons go insane (why they don't leave) and the bracelets keep her from going insane. Also when welded together she is powerless. That has since gone away. She is now simply a supergirl without the heat vision and super invulnerability.

Supposedly in the new Batman/Superman movie they were thinking of having the amazons be descendents of the kryptonian crew that left the scout ship. So she is basically kryptonian.
Danny Ryan
Neophyte
Neophyte

Mr. X wrote: Supposedly in the new Batman/Superman movie they were thinking of having the amazons be descendents of the kryptonian crew that left the scout ship. So she is basically kryptonian.
That would be a shame. I do like the "moulded from clay" origin. In George Perez's hands, especially, it gave her a much more mythic air. But I oughtn't be surprised by WB opting for the lazy shorthand of "Kryptonian." It's possibly the only origin accepted by the writers' summer blockbuster scriptwriting software. ;)
rayman
Overlord
Overlord

Wonder Woman to be semi kryptonian..FOOOOK!!!!!!!!!!
As if having Gal Gadot wasn't insult enough, it's enough to make an Enflishman drink coffee!!!