Batgirl cowl/mask

General discussions about superheroines!
ranger87
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Hey, guys.

I'm just curious if any of you know where one could buy, or perhaps custom order, a Batgirl cowl. I can find 1960's purple ones on ebay, but I'm looking for something black, and a little more solid, kind of like the current comics.

I figure between the producers on this forum, as well as the superheroine fans, I might be able to find a lead. Thanks in advance!
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

You can get the type of cowl used in Batgirl: Spoiled from ReevzFX.

http://www.reevzfx.com/#home

[youtube][/youtube]

"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

But fair warning, it is NOT cheap. Not at all. Quality is always expensive.
ranger87
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for! I just emailed for a quote. If I can pull the money, I think I want 2. One normal, and one battle damaged.
Unmaskee
Henchman
Henchman

I'd love to see an unmasking done with this type of cowl. But obviously as usual I wouldn't want a forwards unmasking, backwards only. I'm pretty sure that strap can stretch enough to get the cowl off. I've tried it with a catwoman one and it's possible. A little uncomfortable perhaps but possible.
ranger87
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I won't be ordering for a month or two yet. But I've saved the site and the quote. I'll probably just get one. I was hoping I could get a battle damaged one with a cracked look (a la The Dark Knight Rises first Bane battle). But if this material stretches enough to do an unmasking, I'm game.

Looking to maybe get a Batgirl script custom ordered, or self produced. We'll see.
Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

Can you say what ReevesFX quoted you for a price on the Batgirl cowl?
ranger87
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Shakeshift wrote:Can you say what ReevesFX quoted you for a price on the Batgirl cowl?
I'll recheck with him when I'm ready to order, just in case. But as it is, he gave me a quote of $160 shipped in the US, with 4-6 weeks allowed to make and ship the product. Now, I don't know for 100% if it comes painted, but if not, that doesn't seem like too much of an inconvenience.
ranger87
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

ranger87 wrote:
Shakeshift wrote:Can you say what ReevesFX quoted you for a price on the Batgirl cowl?
I'll recheck with him when I'm ready to order, just in case. But as it is, he gave me a quote of $160 shipped in the US, with 4-6 weeks allowed to make and ship the product. Now, I don't know for 100% if it comes painted, but if not, that doesn't seem like too much of an inconvenience.
In the same vein of "costuming", does anybody have ideas on how to attach a batsymbol to a catsuit? I'm not the best with sewing, so if there is some sort of adhesive, that would be awesome.

I still don't know what to do regarding the bodysuit issue. If I really do this, I would want to make more than one video, but I want it to be an adult vid. My choices are have the suit zip down in the front down to the crotch (very much like the batsuits in comicstrips "Shadowbat" videos). The other option is to tear out the chest and crotch of the costume throughout the coarse of the video, and replace the bodysuit for future vids. I would be very careful not to damage anything else, like the cowl, cape, or other accessories.

If I can find a relatively cheap black catsuit that I can replace for every vid, I'd just as soon go with the costume destruction. Thoughts?

EDIT: Sorry for the double post. I hit "quote" instead of "edit" by mistake.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

A couple of ways to attach a logo:

1. Iron on paper. Can be printed off a printer then ironed on.
2. Use a simple bead tack device that uses small plastic beads to tack things together. Kind of like sewing.
3. Sew. Pay some old lady on Craig's list to sew it for you.
4. Glue. Probably spray glue.
5. I've actually stapled items on before, usually after the iron on thing rubs off.
6. pin it with safety pins coming from the back side. Depending on the logo thickness you and thread the needle between the layers so it doesn't show.
7. Velcro.
ranger87
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Mr. X wrote:A couple of ways to attach a logo:

1. Iron on paper. Can be printed off a printer then ironed on.
2. Use a simple bead tack device that uses small plastic beads to tack things together. Kind of like sewing.
3. Sew. Pay some old lady on Craig's list to sew it for you.
4. Glue. Probably spray glue.
5. I've actually stapled items on before, usually after the iron on thing rubs off.
6. pin it with safety pins coming from the back side. Depending on the logo thickness you and thread the needle between the layers so it doesn't show.
7. Velcro.
Thank you very much.

All of these seem great. If I go for the cheap, one time use catsuits, then I probably won't sew them...but, the upside to that is that the spray glue would probably hold throughout that one use.

As for my previous comment about whether the cowl comes painted, Reevz got back to me. The rubber itself is tinted black, so no painting should be necessary, for those who are interested.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I'd try the iron on decal first. Any craft store has the paper. The iron on stays longer than glued on paper and you can just glue it if it peals.

BTW this cos player has a tutorial on making a Black Widow costume and she does a lot to add decals etc to a spandex suit.
ranger87
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Mr. X wrote:I'd try the iron on decal first. Any craft store has the paper. The iron on stays longer than glued on paper and you can just glue it if it peals.

BTW this cos player has a tutorial on making a Black Widow costume and she does a lot to add decals etc to a spandex suit.
Thanks a lot!
ledonatello
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

ranger87 wrote:
In the same vein of "costuming", does anybody have ideas on how to attach a batsymbol to a catsuit? I'm not the best with sewing, so if there is some sort of adhesive, that would be awesome.

I still don't know what to do regarding the bodysuit issue. If I really do this, I would want to make more than one video, but I want it to be an adult vid. My choices are have the suit zip down in the front down to the crotch (very much like the batsuits in comicstrips "Shadowbat" videos). The other option is to tear out the chest and crotch of the costume throughout the coarse of the video, and replace the bodysuit for future vids. I would be very careful not to damage anything else, like the cowl, cape, or other accessories.

If I can find a relatively cheap black catsuit that I can replace for every vid, I'd just as soon go with the costume destruction. Thoughts?
You should definitely destroy the black catsuit throughout the video. Good quality ones are easy to find, and affordable online.
ranger87 wrote:
For a mask of that quality, that is a really great deal in my opinion.
ranger87 wrote:I won't be ordering for a month or two yet. But I've saved the site and the quote. I'll probably just get one. I was hoping I could get a battle damaged one with a cracked look (a la The Dark Knight Rises first Bane battle).
I'm all for the broken mask idea. :smart:
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

The mask is a good deal, I was thinking of getting a couple myself. The only issue is, those masks are great for cosplay girls, where they just stand around tease fanboys and take pictures.
If you are going to do any kind of action in them, its pure rubber. If you are going to have fight scenes, molest scenes, etc, that sucker ain't gonna breathe. You'll have one sweated up heroine. Just something to keep in mind.

Spray glue is probably your best bet if it's spandex. If you are using that pleathery catsuit (Again, heat issues!) then glue gun is also good. You can always re-apply it in a hurry on set if something happens to it, as opposed to sewing it.
ranger87
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

MightyHypnotic wrote:The mask is a good deal, I was thinking of getting a couple myself. The only issue is, those masks are great for cosplay girls, where they just stand around tease fanboys and take pictures.
If you are going to do any kind of action in them, its pure rubber. If you are going to have fight scenes, molest scenes, etc, that sucker ain't gonna breathe. You'll have one sweated up heroine. Just something to keep in mind.

Spray glue is probably your best bet if it's spandex. If you are using that pleathery catsuit (Again, heat issues!) then glue gun is also good. You can always re-apply it in a hurry on set if something happens to it, as opposed to sewing it.
Yeah, with the rubber, we'll be taking lots of breaks. I'm researching some cloth suit ideas to use in combination with the rubber mask. They breath more, and if I can get it cheap enough, I can just destroy and replace.

The one thing I like about the cowl is, while yes, I imagine the inside gets hot, the mouth and nose are wide open, as are the eyes. This makes breathing much easier, and helps for being able to wipe away sweat. But this will be a very much trial-and-error project. I'm very excited, though.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

ranger87 wrote:
MightyHypnotic wrote:The mask is a good deal, I was thinking of getting a couple myself. The only issue is, those masks are great for cosplay girls, where they just stand around tease fanboys and take pictures.

Yeah, with the rubber, we'll be taking lots of breaks. I'm researching some cloth suit ideas to use in combination with the rubber mask. They breath more, and if I can get it cheap enough, I can just destroy and replace.

The one thing I like about the cowl is, while yes, I imagine the inside gets hot, the mouth and nose are wide open, as are the eyes. This makes breathing much easier, and helps for being able to wipe away sweat. But this will be a very much trial-and-error project. I'm very excited, though.
Baby powder
ranger87
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Hey, guys. You were all super helpful before with helping me find reevzfx. There is only one more part that's bugging me to this costume.

The bodysuit, or catsuit...It's bugging the crap out of me. There are TONS on the market. Nothing quite to my...satisfaction, though. Originally, I wanted something like what Kendra James uses as the base for her Batwoman outfit. But all I find are zip-up-the-front catsuits. Now, those are fine for "chest access", but I'm planning on destroying the catsuit, anyway, if it's not too pricey.

I've checked Heroes in Tights for their batgirl suits. Their not bad, but their cloth, not latex/pvc/coated spandex, and one cosplay pic I saw of their costume is a bit see through in the chest area...granted, the girl made the mistake of wearing a white bra, but I kinda wanted something that at least LOOKS latex-like.

I can operate with zip-up-the-front if I have to, and I've found a few options for that. But I'm hoping you guys might have some other thoughts for me.

Do you guys have any ideas? You're help is GREATLY appreciated.
swampy170
Elder Member
Elder Member

Heroes in tights really are the best budget cosplay around.

If you're looking to push the boat out I'd try the maker of this:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/103695771/l ... ingbatgirl

Pretty sure she could make you a custom one in latex, tho that's not gonna come cheap!
ranger87
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

swampy170 wrote:Heroes in tights really are the best budget cosplay around.

If you're looking to push the boat out I'd try the maker of this:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/103695771/l ... ingbatgirl

Pretty sure she could make you a custom one in latex, tho that's not gonna come cheap!
I was hoping to avoid heroes in tights because I can cobble everything aside from the catuit up on my own. gloves are easy, and I can do the cape. I was just looking for a decent catsuit...but who knows, I may end up going with heroes in tights. That link you gave is a great maker if I want a suit I'm going to straight up use over and over...but I may choose to destroy the bodysuit at some point in a story. $650 is too much for that.

At this point it's between Heroes in Tights and this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251145863184?hl ... 0175311050

It has a front zipper, so I'd have to be original with the bat logo. But it's cheap enough to destroy and buy more, and the quality doesn't look super terrible.
ledonatello
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Thoughts on this? What's your budget for the suit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Latex-rubber-ca ... 1c2baca1a2
ranger87
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

ledonatello wrote:Thoughts on this? What's your budget for the suit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Latex-rubber-ca ... 1c2baca1a2
Once again, because there may be costume destruction involved, that is a bit hefty. I could be tempted to go as high as $100, if it were exactly what I needed. I think 180 is a bit hefty for Heroes in Tights, but it comes with the suit, cape, and gloves, and would save me the sewing work on the logo as well as making the cape to specifications.

Like I said, I can go as high as 100, but I'd like to stay within the $40-$60 range.

I realize I'm a picky bastard, so I appreciate your guys help. I understand if we can't come up with anything.
ranger87
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

If I can't find anything, I'll probably go with this by default:

http://www.wholesalehalloweencostumes.c ... MgodXwIAHg

As long as it zips all the way up to the collar, I think it's workable.
ledonatello
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

ranger87 wrote:If I can't find anything, I'll probably go with this by default:

Yeah that's awesome if it zips all the way up. Not having it fully zip makes it look Halloweenish.
TightsLover
Neophyte Lvl 4
Neophyte Lvl 4

ranger87
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

TightsLover wrote:You also have these, which sound like they are in your price range.

http://www.milanoo.com/Black-Shiny-Meta ... p3013.html

http://www.milanoo.com/Black-Unisex-Fro ... p2968.html
Yep. I've been eyeing that first one for a while. My only problem, because it's "unisex", you can see that it doesn't really hug her curves. But I really like the fact that it zips down past the crotch to the back of her hips. If it had two zippers, I could avoid costume destruction, and just reveal the actresses private areas by zipping her chest down and the crotch up, while leaving the rest of her "in costume". But it's definitely one I like, thank you.
ranger87
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

ledonatello wrote:
ranger87 wrote:If I can't find anything, I'll probably go with this by default:

Yeah that's awesome if it zips all the way up. Not having it fully zip makes it look Halloweenish.
I saw an ebay seller who's selling a used version. Now, I'm not going to buy it used becaused it's not that expensive new. But I am waiting for a response from her, as I asked her whether or not it zips all the way up. She should know, as it was her personal cotsume. Fingers crossed!