Supergirl & The Bloody Traces of Stargirl DELAYED

General discussions about superheroines!
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

ATTENTION: Due to the lack of crowd-funding, Supergirl & The Bloody Traces of Stargirl Fan Film project is now officially delayed.
Now, The project's budget is $1,125.

Combining the two crowd-funding campaigns for the project, we were only able to raise $200.00. We combine it with the money me and one of my writers safe up and it came out to a gran total of $501.86.

This will delay the fan film significantly to the point where we really don't know when the target date to get the film funded and filmed will be. This is a big obstacle that Me and my writers will work hard to get out of and I can assure all of you who have supported this fan film series, that the fan film project will get fully funded and get done. And that is a guaranteed promise.This fan film is not cancelled and will not be cancelled. it will just be severely delayed until we get the necessary funds.

If you have any questions about the project or on how you can help out with the project's funding situation, email me @ [email protected]

Once Again, to repeat....Due to the lack of crowd-funding, Supergirl & The Bloody Traces of Stargirl Fan Film project is officially delayed.

We will have more details on our progress on saving up the funds in the coming weeks. So, Stay Tuned.
Attachments
dealyedsign.png
dealyedsign.png (863.84 KiB) Viewed 5087 times
:supes: Watch all of W.O.N/MMP's Superheroine World Underwater Peril Fan Film Series, only on W.O.N Cinema YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/woncinema
CustomSuperheroines
Producer
Producer

Where are you located?
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Forgive me for asking, but why not make the film and retroactively fund the video? Crowd-funding seems like a fair way to start up, but I would guess that it doesn't have a long-term business model. Do the videos make enough to make it worthwhile to produce? If not, would a different strategy of filming or producing videos work?

I just ask because I love the genre and anything that will increase the amount of super heroine videos released is a good thing (so I'm rooting for you).
Ignore any virtue-signaling; it's clearly just you.

Ignore any activism; it clearly doesn't exist.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!
Ignore your common sense!

Everything is entirely normal and ignore the radical changes to culture.
CustomSuperheroines
Producer
Producer

sugarcoater wrote:Forgive me for asking, but why not make the film and retroactively fund the video? Crowd-funding seems like a fair way to start up, but I would guess that it doesn't have a long-term business model. Do the videos make enough to make it worthwhile to produce? If not, would a different strategy of filming or producing videos work?

I just ask because I love the genre and anything that will increase the amount of super heroine videos released is a good thing (so I'm rooting for you).
You need certain upfront costs in order to produce a film. Namely, actor and actress pay plus locations and wardrobe. None of those items can be paid "after-the-fact". Post-production can, depending on if the producer is editing the film him or herself or if an agreement is reached. But other line items are due prior to filming.

If there's enough support for the film, series, and producer, I would be willing to discuss co-producing the film. But it's up to the producer first, and also the support of the fans.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I thought he was giving these away and that's why he was crowd sourcing.
CustomSuperheroines
Producer
Producer

Mr. X wrote:I thought he was giving these away and that's why he was crowd sourcing.
If that's the case, then I don't know. I wouldn't be much use/benefit for that purpose lol
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

HeroineLegends wrote:Where are you located?
@Heroine Legends- I'm located in Brooklyn, New York. But, The fan film series is filmed and produced By MMP Studios which is located in Lakeland, Florida. I use MMP Studios actresses for the film. That will be the case in the 3rd installment and hopefully future installments to the series to come.
:supes: Watch all of W.O.N/MMP's Superheroine World Underwater Peril Fan Film Series, only on W.O.N Cinema YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/woncinema
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

HeroineLegends wrote:
sugarcoater wrote:Forgive me for asking, but why not make the film and retroactively fund the video? Crowd-funding seems like a fair way to start up, but I would guess that it doesn't have a long-term business model. Do the videos make enough to make it worthwhile to produce? If not, would a different strategy of filming or producing videos work?

You need certain upfront costs in order to produce a film. Namely, actor and actress pay plus locations and wardrobe. None of those items can be paid "after-the-fact". Post-production can, depending on if the producer is editing the film him or herself or if an agreement is reached. But other line items are due prior to filming.

If there's enough support for the film, series, and producer, I would be willing to discuss co-producing the film. But it's up to the producer first, and also the support of the fans.
@Heroine Legends & Sugarcoaster- The crowdfunding was what "HeroineLegends" said. It was to help fund upfront costs to produce a film which was the 3 actresses fees and the production fees which came to a grand total of $1,125. (We already brought the costumes and props for the film way before the crowdfunding campaign began) That's the way MMP Studios does business "Upfront----not after the fact". Now, The fan film series is very popular on my WON YouTube Network. A lot of people liked it and MMP Studios who film/co-produce the series are impress with the results of the series. Now over a period of time, I had received a lot of emails asking about the crowdfunding campaign and asked about why so much. My answer was due to the actress fees and production fees. Those were upfront cost. The response was mostly negative saying that it cost too much and the actresses wouldn't worth it and also wanted prove that the project was gonna be filmed. I explained to those folks again that it was upfront cost...but i got nowhere. The only thing I got were curse words, name-calling and bashing. I also got promises from some people over the course of time that who said they were gonna chip in but, I never heard back from them. Also Unfortunately, not only did the crowdfunding campaign not raise enough funds..but also, one of my writers decide to become a flake, bail out without telling me and my fellow writer and left us hanging. So far...me and my writer save up a little money of our own and put it together with the $200 dollars the project's crowdfunding campaign and so far when we add it all together we have collected $536.61. We are half way there but still have ways to go. MMP Studios is a first class professional company and they are aware of the delay. Particular the guy who owns MMP Studios who is a facebook friend of my mine and also subscribed the project's facebook page.
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

Mr. X wrote:I thought he was giving these away and that's why he was crowd sourcing.
@ Mr. X-The fan film series is non-profit project and will still continue to be uploaded on to youtube. I make no money off of it. The reactions/feedback and view counts of the video tell me if the fan film is being watch and successful and worth continuing. I got many emails after "Supergirl Endurance" was upload to youtube, asking for a 3rd installment back in late December/early January. This was due to the positive comments on this forum and my email on the second film of the series. So that why I decided to go for it.

The fan film series is very popular and a lot of people liked it...but the problem was that they didn't want to help fund it.
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

HeroineLegends wrote:

@ HeroineLegends- Like I said to Mr. X, The fan film series is non-profit project and will still continue to be uploaded on to youtube. I make no money off of it. The reactions/feedback and view counts of the video tell me if the fan film is being watch and successful and worth continuing. I got many emails after "Supergirl Endurance" was upload to youtube, asking for a 3rd installment back in late December/early January. This was due to the positive comments on this forum and my email on the second film of the series. So that why I decided to go for it. The fan film series is very popular and a lot of people liked it...but the problem was that they didn't want to help fund it.
CustomSuperheroines
Producer
Producer

jimbobklyn5 wrote:
HeroineLegends wrote:

@ HeroineLegends- Like I said to Mr. X, The fan film series is non-profit project and will still continue to be uploaded on to youtube. I make no money off of it. The reactions/feedback and view counts of the video tell me if the fan film is being watch and successful and worth continuing. I got many emails after "Supergirl Endurance" was upload to youtube, asking for a 3rd installment back in late December/early January. This was due to the positive comments on this forum and my email on the second film of the series. So that why I decided to go for it. The fan film series is very popular and a lot of people liked it...but the problem was that they didn't want to help fund it.
I will PM you.
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

HeroineLegends wrote:
jimbobklyn5 wrote:
HeroineLegends wrote:

I will PM you.
ok :supes: :)
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

:supes: After a couple of days...I decided to give the crowdfunding angle to help fund the project one more shot. So I decided to create the third and final Indiegogo crowd-funding campaign to help fund the "Supergirl & The Bloody Traces Of Stargirl" The Budget for the project is $1,125. So far we have collected and saved up $536.61 and Me and my partners purchased the costumes and props back in March. We are half way there but still have ways to go. Now, their are certain upfront costs in order to produce a film. Namely, the 3 actresses pay plus production fees. None of those items can be paid "after-the-fact". The project still needs $499.00 to be fully funded. Once we get all the funds together, then the project will proceed and be filmed. The donations for the first two films helped a lot..For this 3rd film of ours..It will help out even more then you think. Remember, without your support for the last two films, they wouldn't have been made and wouldn't be successful as it is today. If we reach our goal, The quicker the project will be developed and done and be uploaded on youtube. Your financial support will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the support you have given to WON YouTube Networks/MMP Studios Supergirl Underwater Fan Film Series.

If you have any questions on the project and crowd-funding campaign...Email me: [email protected]

Here's the link to the new campaign:
http://igg.me/at/Supergirl-Stargirl/x/3169026
viking
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

It is great that you post the final video on U Tube. But it seems that you are asking others to fund your commission script that you have MMP Studios produce for you.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

It could be that you need to make it much more clear you're giving these videos away. I was under the assumption you used crowd sourcing to get your first video done then kept the money then used crowd sourcing to fund the next video. That seemed fishy to me that you weren't using the money from the previous video to fund the next one. But you're giving them away so that makes it different. Its just its unclear. Maybe in all those pics you post you can specify that the video will be free.
swampy170
Elder Member
Elder Member

Really going about crowd funding in the wrong way to be honest. It's ALL about social media presence.

You need to have a following before you start a campaign really - or know people with hundreds of thousands of followers who can share you. Otherwise onto a looser from the start.

You do get the occasional blip and some campaigns go viral - definitely the exception to the rule however. Generally - that's for something that's never been done before, that is truely unique and has mass appeal. Supergirl fanfilms have been done, and "Bloody traces of stargirl" hardly has mass appeal I'm afraid to say.

Best of luck though!
Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

That was how I lucked out with Claire V. as my model. She's a cosplayer who helped me reach the cosplay masses by actively blogging and pushing social media boundaries for my store. When she built up her cosplay audiences in China and eastern Asia (where cosplay is MASSIVELY huge and they're insatiable for all kinky comics and superheroine videos) my store business (in sales numbers) massively-increased shortly thereafter. China has over 1 billion people alone... most of them with disposable income and who are all incredibly horny for blondes and redheads.

I agree with Swampy. Social media IS the new wave. I was a skeptic at first, but I'm a believer now.
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

viking wrote:It is great that you post the final video on U Tube. But it seems that you are asking others to fund your commission script that you have MMP Studios produce for you.
@ Viking-Technically, MMP Studios doesn't do all the producing. They mostly do the filming. Once the project is done with filming...then I do most of the producing/editing of the project once the film is finished and is emailed to me. I have to edit, then add the sound effects, music & some special effects and that take time when you add that I have to make teasers and trailers before I get to the main editing of the film.
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

Mr. X wrote:It could be that you need to make it much more clear you're giving these videos away. I was under the assumption you used crowd sourcing to get your first video done then kept the money then used crowd sourcing to fund the next video. That seemed fishy to me that you weren't using the money from the previous video to fund the next one. But you're giving them away so that makes it different. Its just its unclear. Maybe in all those pics you post you can specify that the video will be free.
@ Mr. X- You could be right. Now, even though I've done two fan films...I'm still a rookie when it comes to getting the word out on social media. The fan film series has it's own facebook page as well as my youtube network/production company. I also promote the project on deviantart, my online radio station and my 4 youtube channels as well throughout this process...I have stated that the video would be free and be uploaded on youtube. I will be making another promo poster stating that the fan film will be posted on YouTube.
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

Shakeshift wrote:That was how I lucked out with Claire V. as my model. She's a cosplayer who helped me reach the cosplay masses by actively blogging and pushing social media boundaries for my store. When she built up her cosplay audiences in China and eastern Asia (where cosplay is MASSIVELY huge and they're insatiable for all kinky comics and superheroine videos) my store business (in sales numbers) massively-increased shortly thereafter. China has over 1 billion people alone... most of them with disposable income and who are all incredibly horny for blondes and redheads.

I agree with Swampy. Social media IS the new wave. I was a skeptic at first, but I'm a believer now.
@ Shakeshift-I will keep that in mind for the future. I'm still a rookie and still not well known within the superheroine community when it comes to creating fan films on this genre. But I will keep that advice in mind.
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

swampy170 wrote:Really going about crowd funding in the wrong way to be honest. It's ALL about social media presence.

You need to have a following before you start a campaign really - or know people with hundreds of thousands of followers who can share you. Otherwise onto a looser from the start.

You do get the occasional blip and some campaigns go viral - definitely the exception to the rule however. Generally - that's for something that's never been done before, that is truely unique and has mass appeal. Supergirl fanfilms have been done, and "Bloody traces of stargirl" hardly has mass appeal I'm afraid to say.

Best of luck though!
@ swampy170- I agree and disagree with you with some things you have pointed out. The social media outlets I use is facebook and youtube. Now as for the appeal of the project..you could be right in some fronts...but I think people would mostly changed their appeal/outlook on the project if it was a finished project which of course it's not. That could be the case. Now, I do post updates on the project's facebook page almost every other day of the week to keep the fans of the fan film series informed. Once again, I agree and disagree with you with some things you have put on the table. I do appreciate the feedback.
mrestfla
Sargeant
Sargeant

Lakeland, Fl.... :ras: try Daytona Beach! Image

What is Facebook.... :question:
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

^^^Here Here!
Real friends forever!
:thumbup:
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

mrestfla wrote:Lakeland, Fl.... :ras: try Daytona Beach! Image

What is Facebook.... :question:
MMP Studios is located @ Lakeland, Florida

And this is the project's facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/SupergirlEndurance?ref=hl
swampy170
Elder Member
Elder Member

You don't even seem to understand what I'm saying! You need a FOLLOWING - a few hundred followers is not going to cut it with crowd funding. You're never going to make your target the way you're currently doing it.

89 - even less so!

I've helped with projects funded in hours, others in minutes. You have to carefully orchastrate it when you have peak following and exposure - it really is an artform! It's also a full time job to push it though, you need to be pushing it 24/7.

That does not mean spamming.

You'd be far better off going directly to your followers, individually, and asking them to donate via paypal with only 89 followers.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

It's a bit of a "Catch 22" situation; you may get more donations if the project achieves a large following through social media, but that also means you would be much more like to be hit with a Cease & Desist notice by DC / Warner Bros.

Just look at what happened to this project:
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
swampy170
Elder Member
Elder Member

Yep - but that's why you don't call it supergirl.

Particularly if you're posting it on youtube.

This project uses images ripped from the comics and also pictures of cosplayers from around the net in its advertising

Absolutely begging for a cease and desist really.
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

swampy170 wrote:You don't even seem to understand what I'm saying! You need a FOLLOWING - a few hundred followers is not going to cut it with crowd funding. You're never going to make your target the way you're currently doing it.

89 - even less so!

I've helped with projects funded in hours, others in minutes. You have to carefully orchastrate it when you have peak following and exposure - it really is an artform! It's also a full time job to push it though, you need to be pushing it 24/7.

That does not mean spamming.

You'd be far better off going directly to your followers, individually, and asking them to donate via paypal with only 89 followers.
@ swampy170-I did go directly to the followers, not only for this project but the last one which was Supergirl Endurance and it wasn't a good idea. All I got was promises from different followers saying they were going to donate but, they never did. But this time,I got a warning/complaint from facebook saying that someone complained about me going directly to them about the crowd-funding campaign for the project and asking them to donate via paypal .

Now...one of my writers who is part of the fan film series project attempted to make a twitter account for the project...and we only had it up for a few hours. All we got were nasty insults...not only at us..but mostly directed at the actresses. So, after that unfortunate endeavor, we decided that twitter wasn't the way to go to get more of a following..so we deleted the account for the project off of twitter and unfortunately, the only means of social media we have use to get the word out on the project is facebook and youtube.

Now mind you...this is a fan film series. If the 3rd film is a success, i would think the series would get more followers. That was the case for Supergirl Endurance. It wasn't much..but it was something. Now if the series doesn't get more of a following, then there is nothing i can do about it. But it will not discourage me and my writers.

Besides, after this 3rd film, if I decide to make a 4th one which will probably be next year..Me and my writers will go a different direction and will fund the 4th project ourselves since it will cost less than the two fan films.

Now you say you have helped with projects funded in hours, others in minutes. If its possible, can you help me? PM me
If not i understand.

Either way, just in case the project doesn't get no more funds from the crowd-funding campaign...we are saving up as much money as we can and will continue to do so until the project is fully funded.
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

Heroine Addict wrote:It's a bit of a "Catch 22" situation; you may get more donations if the project achieves a large following through social media, but that also means you would be much more like to be hit with a Cease & Desist notice by DC / Warner Bros.

Just look at what happened to this project:
@ Heroine Addict-You are right...that is the risk in all of this. But, the difference in this Supergirl character of mine..is that her alter ego's lifestyle, occupation and name is changed and complete different. and the storyline is totally different and doesn't go along with the current Supergirl comic story lines at all
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

jimbobklyn5 wrote: @ Heroine Addict-You are right...that is the risk in all of this. But, the difference in this Supergirl character of mine..is that her alter ego's lifestyle, occupation and name is changed and complete different. and the storyline is totally different and doesn't go along with the current Supergirl comic story lines at all
I'm not sure creating a new secret identity makes much difference legally. The distinctive character Supergirl along with the logos and costume remain the intellectual property of DC/WB, regardless of what changes you make to her backstory.

In fairness to DC/WB, the company seems to be pretty tolerant of fan films. The key issue with Batgirl Spoiled was that a private business such as Indiegogo was itself benefiting from use of DC characters and trademarks. The original Batgirl Spoiled videos are still freely available on YouTube 9 months after Indiegogo was cut out of the picture.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

Heroine Addict wrote:
jimbobklyn5 wrote: @ Heroine Addict-You are right...that is the risk in all of this. But, the difference in this Supergirl character of mine..is that her alter ego's lifestyle, occupation and name is changed and complete different. and the storyline is totally different and doesn't go along with the current Supergirl comic story lines at all
I'm not sure creating a new secret identity makes much difference legally. The distinctive character Supergirl along with the logos and costume remain the intellectual property of DC/WB, regardless of what changes you make to her backstory.

In fairness to DC/WB, the company seems to be pretty tolerant of fan films. The key issue with Batgirl Spoiled was that a private business such as Indiegogo was itself benefiting from use of DC characters and trademarks. The original Batgirl Spoiled videos are still freely available on YouTube 9 months after Indiegogo was cut out of the picture.
@ Heroine Addict-I actually didn't know that Indiegogo was benefiting itself from the use of DC characters and trademarks. I would assume they are doing the same thing with my project as well, which is not good for me.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

jimbobklyn5 wrote:@ Heroine Addict-I actually didn't know that Indiegogo was benefiting itself from the use of DC characters and trademarks. I would assume they are doing the same thing with my project as well, which is not good for me.
When I say benefiting, I mean the financial cut Indiegogo takes from the fundraising. Even though you're not personally doing this for profit, Indiegogo's financial stake could be seen as a commercial use of the Supergirl brand.
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

Heroine Addict wrote:
jimbobklyn5 wrote:@ Heroine Addict-I actually didn't know that Indiegogo was benefiting itself from the use of DC characters and trademarks. I would assume they are doing the same thing with my project as well, which is not good for me.
When I say benefiting, I mean the financial cut Indiegogo takes from the fundraising. Even though you're not personally doing this for profit, Indiegogo's financial stake could be seen as a commercial use of the Supergirl brand.
@ heroine addict- Oh, I see what you mean...cause when I receive a donations from somebody for the project's crowdfunding campaign, indiegogo takes out some of it as a fee.
Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

Also, not to put too fine a point on it....

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/7/5876971 ... owdfunding

An individual recently Kickstarted a batch of potato salad and asked for $10 to complete the project. “Basically I'm just making potato salad,” the page stated. “I haven't decided what kind yet.”

The project has raised $70,168 dollars in crowd funding, easily surpassing the original goal of $10, with 23 days left of earnings.

Some are laughing, some are saying that Kickstarter has finally gone too far while others are dismayed that this project has become overfunded while other, more "deserving" projects struggle Why is the press talking about potato salad when better games and projects are withering on the vine?

Here’s the ugly truth: The potato salad Kickstarter is better than the vast majority of "serious" crowdfunding efforts.

WHY PEOPLE LOVE POTATO SALAD

I’m not playing devil’s advocate; this is a great Kickstarter campaign. It’s original, goofy and satirical. The backers don't seem to be taking it seriously, as everyone who backs the project can feel like they're in on the fun.

The product being sold here is not potato salad, it’s the joke itself. The novelty and fun of turning a simple dish into a crowdfunding campaign is the draw. People will pay for a bit of novelty and a laugh, and let’s keep in mind that the highest backing tier is $50; no one is being "tricked" into giving up a ton of money.

The latest stretch goal is literally a party to celebrate the potato salad, which is even better: Everyone who backs the project feels like they’re helping others have a goofy, fun time.

"Everyone who backs the project gets to feel like they’re in on the fun"

The average backing amount is also about $6.70, which seems reasonable. This is what people are willing to pay for an amusing joke. I may back at the $10 level, just because I live near the project’s creator and wouldn’t mind going to a potato salad party.

But the product people are paying for is absurdity, fun and novelty. This individual put together a fun campaign, rolled with the unexpected success, and people are responding with a large amount of small backing amounts. It's a fun, simple story about people coming together over a love of potato salad of all things.

The more cynical attempts to cash in on this success are going to be groan-worthy, but for now it's easy to understand why this campaign is blowing up. Besides...
Most Kickstarters are terrible

I'm pitched a large number of Kickstarters for coverage every day. Sometimes it's from the creator of the campaign and other times it's from fans of the project that all write e-mails that sound exactly the same. The fans invariably state that they have nothing to do with the project, and they just think it's cool and right up our alley.

Some of the creators sound tired ahead of time. "I know you get many Kickstarter pitches just like this one," many of the e-mails begin, "But hear me out...."

The problem with almost every pitch, and most of the ones that avoid this structure are the Kickstarters that don't have to ask for coverage, is that there is an assumption that the act of Kickstarting something is itself newsworthy. The word "Kickstarter" or "crowdfunding" is in the subject line. The opening sentence asks for coverage of the Kickstarter. I once e-mailed someone back to say that I would consider covering the campaign if they could send over a level or something playable as a proof of concept.

"That's not fair!" the response stated. "By then it will be too late!"

Of course the potato salad Kickstarter is like catnip to writers, editors and crowdfunding enthusiasts: It feels effortless and fun. There's no marketing to it, no grand plan. Some dude just wants to make potato salad and now he's going to have a big party and invite people to help him make potato salad and then they're going to eat it.

Look at the wording of the last stretch goal: "I will rent out a party hall and invite the whole internet to the potato salad party (only $10 and above will be allowed in the kitchen)!" it states. "The internet loves potato salad! Let's show them that potato salad loves the internet!!"

"The creator is laughing with us, not at us"

That is a positive, inviting message. It brings you into the joke. The creator is laughing with us, not at us. If people take away one lesson from this joke it should be this: Share joy with people and they'll feel a connection to your game or product.

So many pitches and Kickstarter videos are droning monologues about why the developer or creator of the project had to turn to crowdfunding. It's a personal appeal about their situation, and it's hard to stress this simple fact too much: No one cares. Everyone knows making a game or writing a book is hard. What we want to know is why your game or project is unique, why it needs to exist, and why you're the best person to make that happen.

If you don't answer those three questions in an entertaining way, you're sunk. Everything else is noise.

I read one crowdfunding campaign that went on for multiple paragraphs about the number of books on the market, how hard it is to get people's attention, the author stressed the fact he was broke, and then asked for money. After five paragraphs there wasn't a single word about why this book was worth supporting. The first impression was that life was hard, the author needed money, and you should give them some.

This is the unspoken reason established names have a better time working in crowdfunding. It's not just an existing relationship with the press or a built-in audience — although these things help — the important thing is that these people are used to, and talented in, the act of asking for money.

Established industry folks can market a game and, more importantly in this case, they know how to present and market an idea. These are skills that don't come easily to most of us, and that reality becomes painfully apparent when part of your job is wading through a pile of pitches for coverage each day.

These are limitations that are delightfully skewered by the potato salad Kickstarter, a crowdfunding effort that clearly doesn't take itself seriously and is only becoming more fun as the backers roll in. It's one of the few campaigns that makes it sound like everyone is having a good time.

Don't get mad that this silly Kickstarter is kicking ass, ask yourself what you can learn from it. Don't discount novelty and fun when it comes to projects, as people value and will pay for both things. More importantly, don't pretend that your Kickstarter itself is news. Your project is news, Kickstarter is just how you're raising money.

At this point I'd rather fund potato salad than another project that thinks personal tales of the difficulties of the industry are an effective sales pitch, and the increasingly numbers of backers to this project lead me to believe I'm not alone.

The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, Polygon as an organization.
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

BIG NEWS UPDATE: After seeing the news/updates on this forum and others forums and the project's facebook page...One of our fans of the series has made a big contribution to the project. The project has just received $500.00 via paypal, which now adds up to a grand total of $1,011.61 for the project. This is a HUGE development in when it comes to getting this project fully funded. The budget for the project of course is $1,125.00. The project has collected 1,011.61...which means that the project is $113.39 short. Me and my writer will do the best we can to raise the remaining funds for the project. But of course your contributions is always welcomed.

If you have any questions about the project or any question on funding situation and how to help and contribute , email me @ [email protected] or pm me here on this forum or leave a reply here.

There will be more updates in the days ahead.

Thanks to all of those people who have been giving me feedback and advice and suggestions and contributions. It is greatly appreciated
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

:supes: ATTENTION!, ATTENTION!: Keep your eyes peeled on this forum. We will bring you some updates & news about the progress of the "Supergirl & The Bloody Traces Of Stargirl" Fan Film Project in early August. So Stay Tuned!
gold s.jpg
gold s.jpg (25.16 KiB) Viewed 4528 times
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

bloodytracesposter1.png
bloodytracesposter1.png (1.47 MiB) Viewed 4487 times
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

thewaterytrapposter1.png
thewaterytrapposter1.png (1.03 MiB) Viewed 4474 times
enduranceposter1.png
enduranceposter1.png (1.54 MiB) Viewed 4474 times