Anyone familiar with Poser software?

Topics, links and pics that are interesting, weird, or irrelevant!
Blue-Scion

Hello,

I am considering getting the poser 11 software but i dont know enough yet to pull the trigger. Is there anyone who has it and wouldnt mind answering some questions? Pleas feel free to PM or post here. It would help me out alot. Thank you. :ybat:
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I can help. What do you want to know? I have a small bit of experience with Poser and I use Poser 11 Pro.
Blue-Scion

Mr. X wrote:I can help. What do you want to know? I have a small bit of experience with Poser and I use Poser 11 Pro.
Well i was thinking of getting Poser 11 instead of pro because it is about half the price. My questions are as follows:
Do we have to create our own models like game designers do or are there pre made templates/models?
If there are can we customise their face, clothes, body type etc?
Is it easy to use/learn?
How well does it work for original characters/superheroines etc
Would you reccomend it?
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Blue-Scion wrote: Well i was thinking of getting Poser 11 instead of pro because it is about half the price. My questions are as follows:
Do we have to create our own models like game designers do or are there pre made templates/models?
Absolutely not. I do not use my own made models. I do purchase some. Poser 11 comes with characters already. Also check www.renderosity.com and www.daz3d.com. They have tons of content including free items.
Blue-Scion wrote:If there are can we customise their face, clothes, body type etc?
Yes, tons of modifications. Faces, expressions body sizes etc.
Blue-Scion wrote:Is it easy to use/learn?
Poser is made for the idea of posing and rendering already made figures which it has. So its more an issue of play, play, play and make mistakes and mess around. But no its not like learning Maya or 3d Max.
Blue-Scion wrote:How well does it work for original characters/superheroines etc
Have a look.
http://mrxdbc.deviantart.com/
http://www.dangerbabecentral.com/
http://mrbunnyart.deviantart.com/
Blue-Scion wrote:Would you reccomend it?
Yeah I'd recommend it.

BTW the only real difference between Poser 11 and Poser Pro 11 is that Pro runs in a 64 bit OS.
Blue-Scion

Mr. X wrote:
Blue-Scion wrote: Well i was thinking of getting Poser 11 instead of pro because it is about half the price. My questions are as follows:
Absolutely not. I do not use my own made models. I do purchase some. Poser 11 comes with characters already. Also check http://www.renderosity.com and http://www.daz3d.com. They have tons of content including free items.
Blue-Scion wrote:If there are can we customise their face, clothes, body type etc?
Yes, tons of modifications. Faces, expressions body sizes etc.
Blue-Scion wrote:Is it easy to use/learn?
Poser is made for the idea of posing and rendering already made figures which it has. So its more an issue of play, play, play and make mistakes and mess around. But no its not like learning Maya or 3d Max.
Blue-Scion wrote:How well does it work for original characters/superheroines etc
Have a look.
http://mrxdbc.deviantart.com/
http://www.dangerbabecentral.com/
http://mrbunnyart.deviantart.com/
Blue-Scion wrote:Would you reccomend it?
Yeah I'd recommend it.

BTW the only real difference between Poser 11 and Poser Pro 11 is that Pro runs in a 64 bit OS.
WOW THANK YOU. Your art looks great too. Now you mentioned the 64 bit os for pro. My laptop is a 64 bit, does that mean poser11 will not run on mine? Also if were to replace my computer soon can the software be redownloaded?
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Poser 11 (32 bit) will run fine on your laptop. But it will only address 2 gigs of ram which is eaten up by your OS as well. 64 bit will allow much higher ram usage. In the beginning this is not an issue but when you put scenes and lots of figures in, ram will be an issue.

One thing might be if you can get maybe a poser 2012 or poser 2014 to learn on then upgrade later.
Blue-Scion

Mr. X wrote:Poser 11 (32 bit) will run fine on your laptop. But it will only address 2 gigs of ram which is eaten up by your OS as well. 64 bit will allow much higher ram usage. In the beginning this is not an issue but when you put scenes and lots of figures in, ram will be an issue.

One thing might be if you can get maybe a poser 2012 or poser 2014 to learn on then upgrade later.
Well the only issue with an older version is that i dont have a disc drive on my computer and the only digital download available on the website is poser11 from what i can see. Also do you think it will run fine on a core i5?
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Yes fine on an core i5. Memory would be the issue. Of course a better cpu means faster renders. So they have NO other versions? I thought they had a simpler version?
Blue-Scion

Mr. X wrote:Yes fine on an core i5. Memory would be the issue. Of course a better cpu means faster renders. So they have NO other versions? I thought they had a simpler version?
I checked the website. http://my.smithmicro.com/poser-11.html? ... hgodHa8PJA

All i can is the 11 version. Now how bad is the memory issue? How many scenes will it allow? Can this be fixed with an external hard drive?
Blue-Scion

Mr. X wrote:Yes fine on an core i5. Memory would be the issue. Of course a better cpu means faster renders. So they have NO other versions? I thought they had a simpler version?
Also thank you so much for taking the time to help me. If you ever need the favor repaid im your girl :thumbup:
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Blue-Scion wrote: All i can is the 11 version. Now how bad is the memory issue? How many scenes will it allow? Can this be fixed with an external hard drive?
Memory effects how much you can render in one scene. You can render as many times as you want, usually you render and save off the jpg or png. I recommend png since it saves alpha info and is lossless. Poser I don't believe uses disc swap space when actually rendering.
Blue-Scion

Mr. X wrote:
Blue-Scion wrote: All i can is the 11 version. Now how bad is the memory issue? How many scenes will it allow? Can this be fixed with an external hard drive?
Memory effects how much you can render in one scene. You can render as many times as you want, usually you render and save off the jpg or png. I recommend png since it saves alpha info and is lossless. Poser I don't believe uses disc swap space when actually rendering.
THANK YOU
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Are you a student? They used to have a student version. In fact they used to have like 8 different versions and it was confusing as hell.
Blue-Scion

Mr. X wrote:Are you a student? They used to have a student version. In fact they used to have like 8 different versions and it was confusing as hell.
Yes i am but im not enrolled in any animation classes
Blue-Scion

Blue-Scion wrote:
Mr. X wrote:Are you a student? They used to have a student version. In fact they used to have like 8 different versions and it was confusing as hell.
Also can the software be redownloaded if i get a new computer?
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Blue-Scion wrote:
Blue-Scion wrote:
Also can the software be redownloaded if i get a new computer?

Yes. The way you download it is you download their download manager. Then it downloads the product. Product won't work without the serial number so make SURE you keep that around. Its going to be a large download.
cdrei
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Did they stop using the disk swap space during renders, when RAM is inadequate? IIRC, Poser used to do that, several versions ago. Memory issues are less frequent now, when the average computer may have 4+ GB of RAM available. Poser does tend to be a CPU hog when rendering, now.

Poser 11 has a licensing validation check that runs periodically, requiring an internet connection. I think it checks every 12 days or something. Without a connection, it will fail the validation check and refuse to run. You can make special arrangements with Smith Micro to set up a system to run offline, however.

The biggest issue I find when creating characters is hair, but that's because I'm dissatisfied with the typical trans-mapped hair. Poser has dynamic hair, but the feature is badly neglected and the hair design tools steer like two drunken cows. :blink:
Attachments
four_characters.jpg
four_characters.jpg (407.93 KiB) Viewed 3352 times