What Can Be Done to Sites That Ignore DMCA Notifications

General discussions about superheroines!
athenaartemis
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

What can be done to pirate sites that blatantly and repeatedly ignore DMCA violation notifications?

Sites that used to take down pirated content when I and/or C4S notified them are now just ignoring us.

When I googled this issue, I found no assistance on how to stop this piracy and lots of advice to site managers on how to ignore DMCA violation notifications.

Is piracy unbeatable? Is it time to go out of business ...
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

You sent the DMCA to the ISP hosting the site right? Not just the asshats making advert money off your work?

Try using something like www.whoishostingthis.com and searching for the relevant website.  When you find the ISP, go to their home page and click on the Terms of Use link.  They should list a Copyright Agent or a legal contact, then nuke em, nuke em hard, I mean, if they aren't pissing blood from a prolapsed anus then you're lawyering wrong
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Also how is the stuff posted? Most pirate sites put the material on free file servers like RapidShare. I never try to pull from the site (free advertising) and instead get the content removed from RapidShare who readily comply. That way when some clicks on the download link they get nothing.
HeroineTard
Sargeant
Sargeant

You can file a notification directly to the ISP that hosts the site, however they may not even care depending on what country and laws in which they operate under.

I hate to say this, but be prepared to accept the fact that you may have zero legal jurisdiction to do anything as the hosting company may be in a country that simply doesn't recognise copyright laws. Also even if you manage to get the video taken down, another anon user will probably just reupload it under a new account the next day.

IMO, you're just wasting your time with all that. It's not like anyone who visits those pirate sites would ever consider paying real money for your product.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X's solution is likely the most useful if that's the sort of piracy you are dealing with. Often the users that re-up pirated stuff across the web simply use the link to rapidshare they got from somewhere else.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Also places like E-Hentai will ban you if you report too many times.