How do I get an awesome costume made?

General discussions about superheroines!
frankzito
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Looking to get a costume made for my friend ala some of the old school Sooperhero stuff or even Superheroine Central (Ultra Girl, Sapphire Strike, ect.)

I have NO idea where to start. Any ideas or suggestions on this front?
ultragirl_22
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

KnightsofGotham.com
Producer
Producer

frankzito wrote:
6 years ago
Looking to get a costume made for my friend ala some of the old school Sooperhero stuff or even Superheroine Central (Ultra Girl, Sapphire Strike, ect.)

I have NO idea where to start. Any ideas or suggestions on this front?
Are you looking for store bought or custom made?
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Weren't SHC's costumes standard leotards with self-designed chest emblems printed as iron-on transfers?

They generally looked really good. Putting together something with a leotard, iron-on emblem, mask, cape, opera gloves, belt and boots is going to look far superior to most of the ready-made costumes.

It might take a bit of time to find matching items (gloves and boots should be the same color) but it probably won't cost a lot more than most of the zentai stuff.

I'm actually surprised we don't have more custom costume makers posting here. For things like "boob windows" and bespoke masks, it would be a really useful service for producers and cosplayers alike.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
shevek
Producer
Producer

I'm surprised we don't have any costume makers, as well. I've created a bunch of costumes and also acquired some. You can buy them from cosplayers online who are selling them because they're done using them. Some of these people have stores on Etsy. You can buy costumes online from China and alter them as needed. Or you can go to your local vintage hipster clothing store and probably find a bunch of gems, from catsuits to boots and gloves and belts. Just the other day I found a pair of thigh-high lace-up bondage boots for $50 at one of these vintage stores. Right before Halloween, vintage stores put out their costume-style inventory and you can look through that. You can also go to a costume store, or to a store that specifically sells clothing and apparel to dancers (leotards etc). You can go to the seasonal Spirit store - the best time is the couple days after Halloween when they have a big sale - you can literally stock up on every color of glove and mask imaginable, and a whole bunch of prop weapons, etc. I've used all of those avenues. Then you need to find a local tailor or seamstress who can do some good alterations for you. I found a couple of those around here as well..some who are involved either in cosplay or in making battlewear for the Society for Creative Anachronism, etc. Hope those are enough ideas for you.
ywf
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

I think she made a few costumes for TBFE
https://www.etsy.com/people/ArtistEtCetera