Can someone explain Superwoman to me?

General discussions about superheroines!
Kitten
Elder Member
Elder Member

Working on a render for this character, but i have to admit, i'm totally lost on her backstory.

I tried watching this video ...

but ... but it must makes me more confused.

Can someone please explain how many Superwoman there are, their general looks, powers, a brief summary on who they are?
cannonfodder
Henchman
Henchman

It sounds like she's one of the choose your own Origin characters. Kinda like Power Girl or Donna Troy. They share some basics in history but there's always a variant that makes you think wait i thought it was...
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Kitten wrote:
11 months ago
Working on a render for this character, but i have to admit, i'm totally lost on her backstory.

Can someone please explain how many Superwoman there are, their general looks, powers, a brief summary on who they are?
The one you have pictured is from the Crime Syndicate which is Earth 3 evil version of the Justice League. She is based on Mary Marvel as opposed to Wonder Woman
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

And she's also Lois Lane! :ohmg:
shevek
Producer
Producer

Dazzle1 wrote:
11 months ago
Kitten wrote:
11 months ago

The one you have pictured is from the Crime Syndicate which is Earth 3 evil version of the Justice League. She is based on Mary Marvel as opposed to Wonder Woman
Nope. The main one we're talking about in that video thumbnail (the supercriminal from Earth 3) has nothing to do with Mary Marvel whatsoever.

She's an aggregate of Lois Lane and Wonder Woman, in that she's secretly the editor of the Daily Planet (and the only one who knows is Jimmy Olsen, her sexual cuck deviant) and also an Amazon from their version of Themyscira, Damnation Island. In the DC cartoon featuring the Crime Syndicate, she wallops the hell out of heroes, and is the *real original* non-watered-down definition of 'badass' (she's bad, and has a great ass).

I really don't understand why she isn't cosplayed constantly???

[We did a similar thing in Heroineburgh, combining elements of Lois Lane and Powergirl with the Puerto Rican heroine Borinquena and dedicating the whole character to George Perez.]

But, Kitten, if you want to know exactly how many Superwomen there are in total...the answer is: A LOT. It's a regularly recurring concept.

The interesting thing is that the list begins with Lois Lane (1946) and ends (currently) with Lois Lane and Lana Lang (the 2017 'Superwoman' run).
So, with various deviations, the concept is pretty much about Lois Lane (or a close friend or relative, or some other woman also in love with Superman) being so damn hot that she eventually just *has* to don spandex for some reason or another.

Makes sense: if Superman has sex with a human woman for many years, and without puncturing multiple holes in her flesh (a la Larry Niven)
then eventually, they are going to want to be doing it in spandex..for reasons. It's essential second-wave feminism (women's equality) so far, given that the character has amazingly *never* been intersectionally swapped (which would then place it in fourth-wave).

The concept itself should probably be the Patron Saint of this Forum :)
Kitten
Elder Member
Elder Member

Thank you for responses to my question.

Originally i thought it was just a Supervillainess from 'Earth-3' but... it feels like she's Supervillaness from several different versions of Earth-3....

Regardless... I finished my model and post them in my Pixiv Gallery.

From past efforts, Pixiv does not allow hotlinking so i can't show them here directly, but you're welcome to go visit it for a look the old fashioned way by clicking the link below.

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/108821780
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

shevek wrote:
10 months ago
Nope. The main one we're talking about in that video thumbnail (the supercriminal from Earth 3) has nothing to do with Mary Marvel whatsoever.

She's an aggregate of Lois Lane and Wonder Woman, in that she's secretly the editor of the Daily Planet (and the only one who knows is Jimmy Olsen, her sexual cuck deviant) and also an Amazon from their version of Themyscira, Damnation Island. In the DC cartoon featuring the Crime Syndicate, she wallops the hell out of heroes, and is the *real original* non-watered-down definition of 'badass' (she's bad, and has a great ass).
The Superwoman from Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths is not Wonder Woman. There is a Wonder Woman analog on the alternate Earth, and she and our Wonder Woman have a fight shortly after Wonder Woman arrives there. (The Wonder Woman analog has a magic spear that can change it's length, and wears a hoplite-ish costume with a red cape.)

Superwoman is the leader of the Shazam family on the alternate earth. And if she's Lois Lane, you would think Superman would have said something.

I'm curious as to where you're getting your information.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Lurkndog wrote:
10 months ago
shevek wrote:
10 months ago

The Superwoman from Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths is not Wonder Woman. There is a Wonder Woman analog on the alternate Earth, and she and our Wonder Woman have a fight shortly after Wonder Woman arrives there. (The Wonder Woman analog has a magic spear that can change it's length, and wears a hoplite-ish costume with a red cape.)

Superwoman is the leader of the Shazam family on the alternate earth. And if she's Lois Lane, you would think Superman would have said something.

From comics which are all post-Crisis (i.e. they represent the most current iteration of the evil Superwoman).
Grant Morrison's Earth 2 establishes her as both Lois Lane and an Amazon.
Countdown does the same.
New 52 again writes her as a cross between Lois Lane and Wonder Woman.
Infinite Frontier reworks her as an Earth-3 counterpart of Donna Troy, also an Amazon.
No mention is made of any relation to Shazam in any of that.

In the other cartoon which features Superwoman (All-Star Superman), she is a superpowered incarnation of Lois Lane.
lois lane as superwoman.jpg
lois lane as superwoman.jpg (74.3 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
So, only the one cartoon you mentioned links her to Shazam. (sorry, then, if I mis-spoke, but there is still only that one instance).
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Further proof that the merging of universes in the original Crisis on Infinite Earths was a HORRIBLE idea!
It made a mess of trying to combine the mythos of the differing worlds, like how to shoe horn the JSA and Infinity Inc into a world with the JLA and Teen Titans. Or having to change character origins to fit in. Prime example is Power Girl! Her powers, vulnerabilities, and origins have changed so many times over the decades that I have long given up on trying to figure it out. OK, it might've been finally sorted out with the Earth 2 Society series.
I miss the days of Earth-Prime, Earth's 1,2,3,S, and X!

My 2 cents.
Kitten
Elder Member
Elder Member

I find that sort of amusing actually

The whole infinity crisis was suppose to merge all the earths into one easy to understand 'simplified' universe.

I think they've since have been slowly through their media outlets moving towards a Multiverse again (maybe to lead to an infinity crisis on the movie? Think about it, it would be the big story tie in like the Infinity stones were for marvel. makes too much obvious sense though, so it wont ever see the light of day), which is what the whole Flash Movie seems to be about (a flash point, what if)
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Danorian wrote:
10 months ago
It made a mess of trying to combine the mythos of the differing worlds, like how to shoe horn the JSA and Infinity Inc into a world with the JLA and Teen Titans.
From Shazam: Fury of the Gods, the end credit scene complaining about how confusing it is to have two groups with "Justice" in the name. :)
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Visitor wrote:
10 months ago
Danorian wrote:
10 months ago
It made a mess of trying to combine the mythos of the differing worlds, like how to shoe horn the JSA and Infinity Inc into a world with the JLA and Teen Titans.
From Shazam: Fury of the Gods, the end credit scene complaining about how confusing it is to have two groups with "Justice" in the name. :)
And then there is the whole Captain Marvel mess! How the hell did DC allow Marvel to use Captain Marvel for Ms Marvel?! How is the Big Red Cheese(honestly, a nickname for Captain Marvel)supposed to refer to himself in an interview? "Sir, what's your name?" "Shazam." ZAP! "You're a kid?!"
Truly moronic. At least they were honest about Billy having wet dreams about Wonder Woman. :giggle:
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Shevek probably knows more about the whole Marvel thing. I think Capt Marvel was independent of DC and Marvel, got bought... some crazy stuff.

I thought he was Captain Sparkles.
vnv7272
Sargeant
Sargeant

Danorian wrote:
10 months ago
Visitor wrote:
10 months ago
Danorian wrote:
10 months ago
And then there is the whole Captain Marvel mess! How the hell did DC allow Marvel to use Captain Marvel for Ms Marvel?! How is the Big Red Cheese(honestly, a nickname for Captain Marvel)supposed to refer to himself in an interview? "Sir, what's your name?" "Shazam." ZAP! "You're a kid?!"
Truly moronic. At least they were honest about Billy having wet dreams about Wonder Woman. :giggle:
I thought the same thing about his name being Shazam. It's like an easier weakness than Mr. Mxlplisix (not looking it up).
vnv7272
Sargeant
Sargeant

Mr. X wrote:
10 months ago
Shevek probably knows more about the whole Marvel thing. I think Capt Marvel was independent of DC and Marvel, got bought... some crazy stuff.

I thought he was Captain Sparkles.
When someone called him Captain Marvel, they should have played out that joke more.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Lurkndog wrote:
10 months ago
shevek wrote:
10 months ago

-----------------

That is what I thought as well

Because her three Made Men are obvious Evil Marvel family members
Kitten
Elder Member
Elder Member

I think if the Marvel's were going to be made men for a Capo, that Captain Marvel... i mean... Shazam... should have been that Capo.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Danorian wrote:
10 months ago
I believe that there was a lawsuit about that, and Fawcett lost.

I think it went like this: Captain Marvel was originally published by Fawcett Comics, and was something of a sensation when the comic originally came out in the late 1930s. Basically, they were 20 years ahead of their time in terms of art and production values, and the central gimmick that teenager Billy Batson could turn into a grownup Captain Marvel was an instant hit. They were soon outselling Superman.

In 1941, Fawcett was sued by DC , who claimed that Captain Marvel was a copy of Superman. After a long legal battle, Fawcett lost in court, and shut down their superhero comics division in 1953.

In the 1960s, Marvel Comics came into existence, become an industry leader, and launched their own Captain Marvel characters.

DC eventually bought the rights to the Fawcett superhero characters in 1971, but were forced to use the Shazam! name because Marvel had trademarked their own Captain Marvel character, and given that Marvel was also the name of their company, were in an unassailable legal position.

Fawcett's Captain Marvel comics were hugely influential on the comics industry worldwide. The first few issues of Wonder Woman borrowed heavily from Captain Marvel, though Wonder Woman quickly developed into her own character (Wonder Woman's iconic spinning transformation wasn't present in the comics, though, being invented for television by Lynda Carter to avoid having to film awkward costume changes). Darna in the Phillipines is also modeled after the original Captain Marvel. And the entire "magical princess" genre of anime comes from Captain Marvel's transformation, possibly influenced by the TV Wonder Woman as well.
GWalb
Henchman
Henchman

Don't forget Mary Marvel was introduced nearly 20 years before the vapid copycat Supergirl.