Gina Carano sues Disney over ‘Mandalorian’ firing

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
spikeeagle2
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

shevek wrote:
2 months ago
sneakly wrote:
2 months ago
GC was caught up in a political moment and got herself burned.
I don't think anyone on this forum disagrees with that.

Her lawsuit, however, goes to the core of whether Disney's heavy hand was applied equally. I don't know if she can do it, but she is trying to prove that the male actors got a lot more free passes from Disney than she did. For example, Pedro Pascal took a clear stance on Gaza (and I think there's a reason why he did that: Chile is the largest home of Palestinians in exile in the world, so he was playing to his core fanbase). Jonathan Majors committed an assault but wasn't officially canned until he was convicted. I don't know the whole list but I'm sure she and Elon are going down the litany with a fine-toothed comb.

And what she is doing, is trying to use Disney's supposed pro-female stance against them. That is to say, Disney claims to take a pro-active effort to foreground women in the company, feature them as star characters in the productions, and champion their cause. All of that was according to both Kathleen Kennedy ("The Force is Female") and Victoria Alonso. In fact, Alonso was fired by Disney recently, but only after the company produced a large settlement for her.

Carano got no such settlement, to my knowledge. The lawsuit claims that Disney goes out of its way to support women as a protected class but only in so far as they express the correct political doctrines. This may or may not fly in court (and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't, because a 'private company can do what it wants') but her argument in the suit is that there was sex-based discrimination, not just being 'burned' politically.

So, we'll see.
If I am GC, I will use the political statement rather than her being a woman as an argument. You can't win a jury on Disney on just about anything female related, after all those Disney Princesses, they ARE the powerhouse for Female Empowerment, they can get away with just about anything regarding woman and women right. You won't be able to find an unbiased jury if they play the woman card on a Disney lawsuit, unless you get an all-male jury, which in itself is already biased.

Still, I would say her case is almost certainly dead on arrival, recently I had a similar case with our firm, the person was fired because his value differ from the company value, the issue here is, in what way a difference can be this big you have to part way, it turns out, there aren't really any prescribed solution, basically it's like the most common reason why people choose to divorce - "irreconcilable differences"
shevek
Producer
Producer

spikeeagle2 wrote:
2 months ago
Still, I would say her case is almost certainly dead on arrival, recently I had a similar case with our firm, the person was fired because his value differ from the company value, the issue here is, in what way a difference can be this big you have to part way, it turns out, there aren't really any prescribed solution, basically it's like the most common reason why people choose to divorce - "irreconcilable differences"
Yes, that's probably how it's going to go.

And yet - if you think about it - it's almost like Gina Carano saw the current global wave of anti-Semitism coming.
spikeeagle2
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

shevek wrote:
2 months ago
spikeeagle2 wrote:
2 months ago

And yet - if you think about it - it's almost like Gina Carano saw the current global wave of anti-Semitism coming.
To be fair, mainstream antisemitism is not something new or rare, it has always been there, you just need to dig a little deeper and you can see this coming. I mean, when is the last time TV has shown pro-Israel demonstration before 7th of October attacks? Even after it, people are still focusing on how IDF level village and civilian casualty. And reporting style have heavily tilted toward Palestinian point of view.

Just to put it out there, I am neither pro-Israel nor pro-Palestinian, that issue is too far for us and I am not an Arab or Jews so I have absolutely nothing at stake, and I do think IDF response are quite heavy handed, but still, 1 out of 10 report out there care about the Israeli civilian hostage whereas the other 9 are fully about where IDF go and how the world demand a cease fire. That type of reporting is very much biased, to a point Murdoch own news corps, which is extremely pro-Israeli and right wing haven't even said a word on anything else. other than taking pot shot at the local politician on their proposed antisemitic view (like reporting on Penny Wong not visiting the Kibbutz while she was over there, and how Albanese government didn't supply anything to Israel. And that came from a right-wing media.......
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

spikeeagle2 wrote:
2 months ago
shevek wrote:
2 months ago
spikeeagle2 wrote:
2 months ago

To be fair, mainstream antisemitism is not something new or rare, it has always been there, you just need to dig a little deeper and you can see this coming. I mean, when is the last time TV has shown pro-Israel demonstration before 7th of October attacks? Even after it, people are still focusing on how IDF level village and civilian casualty. And reporting style have heavily tilted toward Palestinian point of view.

Just to put it out there, I am neither pro-Israel nor pro-Palestinian, that issue is too far for us and I am not an Arab or Jews so I have absolutely nothing at stake, and I do think IDF response are quite heavy handed, but still, 1 out of 10 report out there care about the Israeli civilian hostage whereas the other 9 are fully about where IDF go and how the world demand a cease fire. That type of reporting is very much biased, to a point Murdoch own news corps, which is extremely pro-Israeli and right wing haven't even said a word on anything else. other than taking pot shot at the local politician on their proposed antisemitic view (like reporting on Penny Wong not visiting the Kibbutz while she was over there, and how Albanese government didn't supply anything to Israel. And that came from a right-wing media.......
As I Zionist , I have a stake and won't apologize for it

The only trouble I have with the WSJ is the refusal to call Hamas a terrorist group, a documented fact. Otherwise they have reported fairly accurate and pointed out the war crimes are by Hamas/Iran.

Anti-Semitism get a pass in the entertainment industry, a Jewish rapper had to of his performances canceled becasue some racist employees wouldn't work the venue,.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Not sure why we are talking about Hamas and and antisemitism in this thread. Gina isn't Jewish and Hamas attack from Gaza happened months after she was canned from Disney.

As for the Hamas-Israel war, you need to remember it isn't occurring in a vacuum. Israel and the Palestinians have been at it for seventy years and neither side have been saints. Israel has been taking land from Palestinians for years and those settlers have had a habit of doing whatever they felt like because the Israeli army was backing them up. Hamas isn't any more charitable and they deserve what ever they get. Netanyahu has done a crap job running his side of the war, causing thousands of civilian casualties and making future peace less likely.

But again. This had nothing to do with an evangelical Christian MMA fighter giving bad medical advice two years ago while playing a space cowgirl on a children's channel.
jlocke
Sargeant
Sargeant

Does anyone think it's weird that no one actually posted what she said? We've got 50+ opinions talking about what she said, if it was anti-Semitic, politics bullshit (as usual-yawn), and then a weird ass discussion about what censorship is. Fellow superheroine masturbators, are you ok?

Here's what Sexy McThick Dipshit tweeted:

"Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors...even by children. :(

Because history is edited, most people today don't realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views?"

And so the biggest victims in all of human history (right wingers) are comparing themselves through an analogy, to Jews being killed in Germany.

Do you think any Jewish people might be offended by this?
Do you think any Jewish people who have the power to green light projects in Hollywood, might be offended by this?
Do you get a raise, promotion, project if you offend your boss?
Do rules only apply to Budlight, the NFL, Disney, Target, and whatever other dumbass boycott right wingers want to start because they got their feelings hurt?
Or, if you piss off your boss, do you get fucking fired?
Maybe the rules don't apply to people who constantly act like victims. Big, bad Hollywood did something mean again!
Or maybe grow the fuck up, put your big boy pants on, and realize we live in a capitalist society. Decision aren't being made on some dipshit woke ideology. They're made on cash. The real decision makers, the accountants, crunched the numbers and decided the big D would lose more money than they would make if they kept Thickness McVictim. So her project was cancelled.
Insert MAGA tears here.
Victim, victim, victim. So many bad things befall you. At least there's an entire industry of newstainment, youtube channels, podcasts, blogs, social media, dedicated social media platforms, and fucking AM radio shows dedicated to telling you that you're a victim. It keeps you outraged and aggrieved.

Seriously. Don't you have something better to do with your time?

Like looking at sexy women in superheroine costumes getting defeated, stripped, and fucked?

What the fuck is happening to this forum?
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

If this were honest sentiment against Carano's stupid remarks, then you could say Disney was doing what was best for their business, but the whole idea of cancel culture is it's a minority of folks online trying to create a false perception, an echo chamber, a false narrative that a vocal minority is actually a majority opinion. This idea that social media engagement, sentiment is reflective of real world consensus or conventional wisdom is rather stupid in my view. Folks on Twitter and Facebook fall for that bit of silliness quite often on social media, it's a common misperception.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

sneakly wrote:
2 months ago
Not sure why we are talking about Hamas and and antisemitism in this thread. Gina isn't Jewish and Hamas attack from Gaza happened months after she was canned from Disney.

As for the Hamas-Israel war, you need to remember it isn't occurring in a vacuum. Israel and the Palestinians have been at it for seventy years and neither side have been saints. Israel has been taking land from Palestinians for years and those settlers have had a habit of doing whatever they felt like because the Israeli army was backing them up. Hamas isn't any more charitable and they deserve what ever they get. Netanyahu has done a crap job running his side of the war, causing thousands of civilian casualties and making future peace less likely.

But again. This had nothing to do with an evangelical Christian MMA fighter giving bad medical advice two years ago while playing a space cowgirl on a children's channel.
The Palestinians were invented in the 60 they are not a real people, they are Jordanian terror proxies.

They have no claim to any land, not praise of Bibi. But this entirely due to islamic terrorism