Helen Slater as Supergirl: An Appreciation

General discussions about superheroines!
Supergirllegend
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bangladesh

Re: Helen Slater as Supergirl: An Appreciation

Post by Supergirllegend »

g-2.jpg
g-2.jpg (29.9 KiB) Viewed 812 times
Supergirllegend
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bangladesh

hsd2-1.jpg
hsd2-1.jpg (43.69 KiB) Viewed 810 times

Betrayal of the Dove era Supergirl
Supergirllegend
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bangladesh

Screenshot (1061).png
Screenshot (1061).png (1.53 MiB) Viewed 804 times
Screenshot (1062).png
Screenshot (1062).png (1.26 MiB) Viewed 804 times
Screenshot (1086).png
Screenshot (1086).png (1.63 MiB) Viewed 804 times
Supergirllegend
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bangladesh

Screenshot (1638).png
Screenshot (1638).png (1.32 MiB) Viewed 803 times
Screenshot (1667).png
Screenshot (1667).png (1.36 MiB) Viewed 803 times
Supergirllegend
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bangladesh

shot-1.jpg
shot-1.jpg (409.74 KiB) Viewed 791 times
Supergirllegend
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bangladesh

walls-1.jpg
walls-1.jpg (97.66 KiB) Viewed 788 times
Supergirllegend
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bangladesh

GFG1.jpg
GFG1.jpg (78.55 KiB) Viewed 734 times
NIH1.jpg
NIH1.jpg (132.87 KiB) Viewed 734 times
SFS-1.jpg
SFS-1.jpg (108.07 KiB) Viewed 734 times
Supergirllegend
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bangladesh

tryed-2.jpg
tryed-2.jpg (103.62 KiB) Viewed 714 times
Supergirllegend
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bangladesh

People really liked touching her costume
bitch2.jpg
bitch2.jpg (122.63 KiB) Viewed 711 times
fsgsg1.jpg
fsgsg1.jpg (118 KiB) Viewed 711 times
ffq-1.jpg
ffq-1.jpg (101.36 KiB) Viewed 711 times
Supergirllegend
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bangladesh

Point1.jpg
Point1.jpg (540.15 KiB) Viewed 700 times
lu-1.jpg
lu-1.jpg (93.21 KiB) Viewed 700 times
c0ae1cc156682df4b3215c4f4458b015.jpg
c0ae1cc156682df4b3215c4f4458b015.jpg (73.43 KiB) Viewed 700 times
annoyed-1.jpg
annoyed-1.jpg (108.08 KiB) Viewed 700 times
billy-1.jpg
billy-1.jpg (84.09 KiB) Viewed 700 times
Supergirllegend
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bangladesh

I love how secretly raunchy this film is. Totally camp.
Deceiver
Sargeant
Sargeant
Great Britain

Post by Deceiver »

Supergirllegend wrote: 1 week ago g-2.jpg
This is good. Although quite clearly older, Helen's face still fits the part. I suppose you could call her Superwoman...
Deceiver
Sargeant
Sargeant
Great Britain

Post by Deceiver »

Supergirllegend wrote: 6 days ago I love how secretly raunchy this film is. Totally camp.
There's a YouTube review from a while ago, which was funny to watch in a mocking manner. They talked not only about how inappropriate the scenes were, of course the rape attempt, but also Nathan, a guy in his late 20s/early 30s, stalking a schoolgirl!
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Wales

Post by Abductorenmadrid »

Deceiver wrote: 6 days ago
Supergirllegend wrote: 6 days ago I love how secretly raunchy this film is. Totally camp.
There's a YouTube review from a while ago, which was funny to watch in a mocking manner. They talked not only about how inappropriate the scenes were, of course the rape attempt, but also Nathan, a guy in his late 20s/early 30s, stalking a schoolgirl!
Sadly there was a fair bit to have a jab about the movie :(

When you say Nathan, do you mean "Ethan", the guy who does garden maintenance stuff?

If so, yeah, I guess his interest in Linda Lee is a little off base. However we have to remember his conduct was while he was under the influence of the potion slipped into his beer by Selena. He is innocent in that he is under the control of the spell which he snaps out of when Nigel releases the spider which was part of the ritual to make the potion. In effect it is no worse than Luke and Leia's innocent yet incestuous kiss - which was done merely to make Han Solo jealous and never with any true intent to seduce Luke. At the very end of the movie Ethan gives Kara her hard fought for prize, the Omegahedron, and from what I recall, the scene passed without a kiss.

With the trucker scene it's hard to say what the motivation was to create it. There were plenty of ways to give Kara a rude awakening about the new world she was on and for some reason they went with what we have now, a risque scene, perhaps meant for adults to understand while giving more innocent eyes a chance to see Supergirl dispatch "bad men".
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl Vs The Fugitive Witch of Daxam

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
Damselbinder
Overlord
Overlord
Great Britain

Post by Damselbinder »

Abductorenmadrid wrote: 6 days ago

When you say Nathan, do you mean "Ethan", the guy who does garden maintenance stuff?

If so, yeah, I guess his interest in Linda Lee is a little off base. However we have to remember his conduct was while he was under the influence of the potion slipped into his beer by Selena. He is innocent in that he is under the control of the spell which he snaps out of when Nigel releases the spider which was part of the ritual to make the potion. In effect it is no worse than Luke and Leia's innocent yet incestuous kiss - which was done merely to make Han Solo jealous and never with any true intent to seduce Luke. At the very end of the movie Ethan gives Kara her hard fought for prize, the Omegahedron, and from what I recall, the scene passed without a kiss.

With the trucker scene it's hard to say what the motivation was to create it. There were plenty of ways to give Kara a rude awakening about the new world she was on and for some reason they went with what we have now, a risque scene, perhaps meant for adults to understand while giving more innocent eyes a chance to see Supergirl dispatch "bad men".
Probably what passed for progressivism in 1984 Hollywood.

"Oh, yeah, we'll have the young woman (how old is she meant to be??) get menaced and leered at by two truckers who clearly intend to sexually assault her"
"Er..."
"Oh, uh, yeah, and she also fights them off. It's empowering!"
A full list of my stories can be found here, with summaries to boot: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32027
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Wales

Damselbinder wrote: 6 days ago

Probably what passed for progressivism in 1984 Hollywood.

"Oh, yeah, we'll have the young woman (how old is she meant to be??) get menaced and leered at by two truckers who clearly intend to sexually assault her"
"Er..."
"Oh, uh, yeah, and she also fights them off. It's empowering!"
With her age, agreed, it seems a bit nebulous. I mean yeah, you could measure her age in terms of the time the earth has rotated the sun over her life time, but who is to say that is the same way to gauge a Kryptonian?

Deceiver
Sargeant
Sargeant
Great Britain

Post by Deceiver »

They usually annoy me, but the humour was good in this one.
That's the fella! Him from Die Hard.
Abductorenmadrid wrote: 6 days ago If so, yeah, I guess his interest in Linda Lee is a little off base. However we have to remember his conduct was while he was under the influence of the potion slipped into his beer by Selena. He is innocent in that he is under the control of the spell which he snaps out of when Nigel releases the spider which was part of the ritual to make the potion. In effect it is no worse than Luke and Leia's innocent yet incestuous kiss - which was done merely to make Han Solo jealous and never with any true intent to seduce Luke. At the very end of the movie Ethan gives Kara her hard fought for prize, the Omegahedron, and from what I recall, the scene passed without a kiss.
I get storyline. It's just the subtext. I also see what they were trying to achieve. They hoped young girls got goose bumps thinking of how a guy like Ethan might magically fall in love with them. But in this day and age that is dodgy territory!

I'm guessing the Leia and Luke kiss only exists because George Lucas made it up as he went long and only pretended he had it all worked out...
Abductorenmadrid wrote: 6 days ago With the trucker scene it's hard to say what the motivation was to create it. There were plenty of ways to give Kara a rude awakening about the new world she was on and for some reason they went with what we have now, a risque scene, perhaps meant for adults to understand while giving more innocent eyes a chance to see Supergirl dispatch "bad men".
One of the annoyances for me when I hear YT reviewers rip into the movie is they don't get in. Partly because they watch one another's videos and copy their comments and reactions. This scene is clumsy in the way it's presented, but important. YT's reviewers ask why does Kara goes undercover at a school when she's on a mission to save Argo City? Well, because her only contact on Earth has been two guys trying to damn rape her (how unlucky)! When she sees the schoolgirls like her, and the 'S' on the top, she identifies with them, and decides undercover is the way to fit in. Don't get me wrong, this film isn't well written, but it makes more sense than people give it credit for, especially if you accept a certain level of unreality like in the Superman movies...
Supergirllegend
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bangladesh

I personally think people are too harsh on this film for some godly unknown reason. I’m talking about reviews and YT videos I’ve seen where people laugh at the special fx. For one, don’t these people realise that cgi didn’t always exist? They expect a movie made in 83 to have realistic flying- which I think the film pulled off magically.

Slater was 19 during filming so I’m not quite sure what she’s doing going to that school. I try not to question it too much because of the situation she was in. Her first night on earth was scary to say the least and it was all because of her costume- the only thing she has with her.
The trucker scene while inappropriate- can be seen as a cautionary situation for young girls who saw the film. Don’t trust everyone you meet.

So to fit in she morphs into the first thing she sees as being normal upon discovering the school. So I think her age in the film would at least be over the age of consent- that makes ethan’s courting of Linda acceptable. He was under a spell too so we can’t forget that.
Supergirllegend
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bangladesh

Supergirllegend wrote: 1 week ago g-2.jpg
This is good. Although quite clearly older, Helen's face still fits the part. I suppose you could call her Superwoman...

Thank you. I guess that’s Helen around the same age Benoist is now or when she did the show. I would have loved to have seen Helen’s Supergirl in more situations. I guess one can always dream.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Visitor »

Deceiver wrote: 6 days ago I'm guessing the Leia and Luke kiss only exists because George Lucas made it up as he went long and only pretended he had it all worked out...
The original version of "Star Wars - A New Hope" pretty much had Luke out to rescue Leia to get the girl. Then he finds out she wants the bad boy, Han.
Danorian
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Danorian »

One of the annoyances for me when I hear YT reviewers rip into the movie is they don't get in. Partly because they watch one another's videos and copy their comments and reactions. This scene is clumsy in the way it's presented, but important. YT's reviewers ask why does Kara goes undercover at a school when she's on a mission to save Argo City? Well, because her only contact on Earth has been two guys trying to damn rape her (how unlucky)! When she sees the schoolgirls like her, and the 'S' on the top, she identifies with them, and decides undercover is the way to fit in. Don't get me wrong, this film isn't well written, but it makes more sense than people give it credit for, especially if you accept a certain level of unreality like in the Superman movies...
[/quote]

She does the undercover bit to duplicate her cousin, Kal-El. She refers to him in Argo City, so his exploits are well known amongst the Argoans!
Supergirllegend
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bangladesh

Visitor wrote: 6 days ago
Deceiver wrote: 6 days ago I'm guessing the Leia and Luke kiss only exists because George Lucas made it up as he went long and only pretended he had it all worked out...
The original version of "Star Wars - A New Hope" pretty much had Luke out to rescue Leia to get the girl. Then he finds out she wants the bad boy, Han.
I’m a massive Star Wars fan too- interesting to hear this. I’m sure it wasn’t as planned out as George wants people to believe.
Supergirllegend
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bangladesh

Danorian wrote: 6 days ago One of the annoyances for me when I hear YT reviewers rip into the movie is they don't get in. Partly because they watch one another's videos and copy their comments and reactions. This scene is clumsy in the way it's presented, but important. YT's reviewers ask why does Kara goes undercover at a school when she's on a mission to save Argo City? Well, because her only contact on Earth has been two guys trying to damn rape her (how unlucky)! When she sees the schoolgirls like her, and the 'S' on the top, she identifies with them, and decides undercover is the way to fit in. Don't get me wrong, this film isn't well written, but it makes more sense than people give it credit for, especially if you accept a certain level of unreality like in the Superman movies...
She does the undercover bit to duplicate her cousin, Kal-El. She refers to him in Argo City, so his exploits are well known amongst the Argoans!
[/quote]

And the fact that the only person to guide her is “on a peace seeking mission trillions of light years away” makes Kara’s failings a bit more understandable. To her, earth is magical and she thinks everyone will treat her with respect, which of course doesn’t happen. It’s good character building. She was forced into adapting quickly to her situation while Clark had his whole adolescence to do so.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador
Wales

Post by tallyho »

A nice candid shot of the lovely lady in London
Screenshot_20210112-021541~2.png
Screenshot_20210112-021541~2.png (932.04 KiB) Viewed 539 times
_20210112_022443~2.JPG
_20210112_022443~2.JPG (233.39 KiB) Viewed 539 times
Screenshot_20210112-022652~2.png
Screenshot_20210112-022652~2.png (1.04 MiB) Viewed 539 times
Screenshot_20210112-022709~2.png
Screenshot_20210112-022709~2.png (1.23 MiB) Viewed 539 times
_20210112_022810~2.JPG
_20210112_022810~2.JPG (65.13 KiB) Viewed 539 times
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Supergirllegend
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bangladesh

tallyho wrote: 6 days ago A nice candid shot of the lovely lady in London

Screenshot_20210112-021541~2.png

_20210112_022443~2.JPG

Screenshot_20210112-022652~2.png

Screenshot_20210112-022709~2.png

_20210112_022810~2.JPG

That first picture, WOW! I've never seen that one before.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador
Wales

Post by tallyho »

That was when we went on our first date
:whistle: :giggle:

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Bert
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Canada

Post by Bert »

She tells it differently. That was just before you asked her out. And this is just after...
4DC910C2-33E0-4017-9635-5DB7F0B2D6F0.jpg
4DC910C2-33E0-4017-9635-5DB7F0B2D6F0.jpg (33.65 KiB) Viewed 487 times
Damselbinder
Overlord
Overlord
Great Britain

Post by Damselbinder »

Bert wrote: 5 days ago She tells it differently. That was just before you asked her out. And this is just after...

4DC910C2-33E0-4017-9635-5DB7F0B2D6F0.jpg
Don't be absurd. There's no can of mace in that picture.
A full list of my stories can be found here, with summaries to boot: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32027
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador
Wales

Post by tallyho »

Well OK, I call it our first date, she calls it the start of her living hell

Damselbinder
Overlord
Overlord
Great Britain

Post by Damselbinder »

tallyho wrote: 5 days ago Well OK, I call it our first date, she calls it the start of her living hell
Okay now this is just getting unsavoury
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador
Wales

Post by tallyho »

She's always goofing around like that.
Her pet name for me is the Welsh Wierdo or sometimes Injunction Guy.

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador
Wales

Post by tallyho »

j8xp9ozsok9vsooz.jpg
j8xp9ozsok9vsooz.jpg (11.88 KiB) Viewed 476 times
612full-melanie-mayron.jpg
612full-melanie-mayron.jpg (54.18 KiB) Viewed 476 times
612full-helen-slater.jpg
612full-helen-slater.jpg (52.89 KiB) Viewed 476 times

Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Wales

Damselbinder wrote: 5 days ago Okay now this is just getting unsavoury
Well, I can make things worse for you if you like ... imagine THIS ... Helen Slater's Kara Zor-El jumps into the pod to go to Earth to recover the omegahedron, preventing Zaltar from carrying out this duty himself. Imagine if he had gotten to the pod first and took the trip? Imagine him magically transforming into yet another "Superman", in skintight red and blues.... the horror!!

Supergirllegend
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bangladesh

Abductorenmadrid wrote: 5 days ago
Damselbinder wrote: 5 days ago Okay now this is just getting unsavoury
Well, I can make things worse for you if you like ... imagine THIS ... Helen Slater's Kara Zor-El jumps into the pod to go to Earth to recover the omegahedron, preventing Zaltar from carrying out this duty himself. Imagine if he had gotten to the pod first and took the trip? Imagine him magically transforming into yet another "Superman", in skintight red and blues.... the horror!!
The horror. The horror.

If you have a chance check out the film Caligula. O’toole is in that and you can probably guess why he agreed to do Supergirl from that performance. The guy must have been off his tits.

But hell- I would have been satisfied doing anything to work on Supergirl.
Supergirllegend
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bangladesh

911E836C-B6E0-4739-9FA2-AFAB9B19A6CC.jpeg
911E836C-B6E0-4739-9FA2-AFAB9B19A6CC.jpeg (26.43 KiB) Viewed 459 times

The deepest gaze from those blue eyes. How could you not fall in love with her?
Supergirllegend
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bangladesh

A322079A-D85A-4CCA-939B-07A73099DF96.jpeg
A322079A-D85A-4CCA-939B-07A73099DF96.jpeg (23.67 KiB) Viewed 457 times
78746FDD-9966-4566-80E9-732FC89AAF87.jpeg
78746FDD-9966-4566-80E9-732FC89AAF87.jpeg (45.23 KiB) Viewed 457 times
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador
Wales

Post by tallyho »

Screenshot_20210113-010622~6.png
Screenshot_20210113-010622~6.png (285.7 KiB) Viewed 374 times
Screenshot_20210113-010622~5.png
Screenshot_20210113-010622~5.png (519.21 KiB) Viewed 374 times
Screenshot_20210113-010622~4.png
Screenshot_20210113-010622~4.png (579.62 KiB) Viewed 374 times
Screenshot_20210113-010622~3.png
Screenshot_20210113-010622~3.png (437.03 KiB) Viewed 374 times

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador
Wales

Post by tallyho »

Love the photo with the cup.
I call it one girl one cup. I was gonna call it 2 girls 1 cup as she is Supergirl and Helen Slater but turns out that's been used for something quite different...

She reminds me of Nastassia Kinski in this shot
_20210112_022036.JPG
_20210112_022036.JPG (112.24 KiB) Viewed 369 times
Two bonnie Lassies
_20210112_022136.JPG
_20210112_022136.JPG (252.13 KiB) Viewed 369 times
Great pic of two super people
_20210112_022547.JPG
_20210112_022547.JPG (161.06 KiB) Viewed 369 times
Screenshot_20210112-022905~2.png
Screenshot_20210112-022905~2.png (2.54 MiB) Viewed 369 times

MOT
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by MOT »

Hey y’all - always looking for Helen Slater as SG content (I’m hoping one day tech will give us a sequel too one day as someone else said earlier) and this thread’s been awesome.

Here’s a fun video edit putting her up against a powerful villainess:
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Wales

Wow - okay - in terms of action flow that had some cool moments for sure! Obviously the scenery continuity is just horrible but fair play - the shots mostly interacted with each other - and finding and selecting those can be where the hard work is. Maybe someone with FX skills could sort those background elements out to help with the scenery issues.

MOT
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by MOT »

Thx 😊 some bits need a bit more imagination than others to make it work!

Always imagined Helen up against ursa or a nuclear girl and that’s what I was thinking cobbling that together.

Love rustedpeaces work on deviant art with that stuff.
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member
Wales

Heh - well - speaking of Ursa ... I did kind of have a stab at that myself!

:blush:

Supergirllegend
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bangladesh

tallyho wrote: 4 days ago Screenshot_20210113-010622~6.png

Wow! Where did you find these? I thought I’d seen everything on google image search. Amazing stuff.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador
Wales

Post by tallyho »

Supergirllegend wrote: 4 days ago
tallyho wrote: 4 days ago Screenshot_20210113-010622~6.png

Wow! Where did you find these? I thought I’d seen everything on google image search. Amazing stuff.
And I thought you were a fan... 😀
Some I found as pics for sale on ebay, most just emerge from the rabbit hole of the internet.
I don't know if it matters but I tend to search for Helen Slater Supergirl and Supergirl Helen Slater in the normal Google Search then click to Images on the result, rather than use Google Image Search straight off.

Supergirllegend
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bangladesh

D89442C1-C918-419D-A7EE-D20FEA067261.jpeg
D89442C1-C918-419D-A7EE-D20FEA067261.jpeg (26.62 KiB) Viewed 215 times
Trying yahoo images. There must be plenty of unprocessed film from the 80s with a lovely Helen in them.
Supergirllegend
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bangladesh

2D9FB491-70C7-4131-8EC7-21D4E1D03D44.jpeg
2D9FB491-70C7-4131-8EC7-21D4E1D03D44.jpeg (60.99 KiB) Viewed 213 times
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador
Wales

Post by tallyho »

Screenshot_20210114-103740~2.png
Screenshot_20210114-103740~2.png (898.97 KiB) Viewed 203 times
10311_18~3.jpg
10311_18~3.jpg (36.6 KiB) Viewed 203 times
10311_20~2.jpg
10311_20~2.jpg (20.99 KiB) Viewed 203 times
Love the way she's the only thing in colour
Screenshot_20210114-103943~2.png
Screenshot_20210114-103943~2.png (518.35 KiB) Viewed 203 times

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador
Wales

Post by tallyho »

Lovely one
Screenshot_20210114-104109~2.png
Screenshot_20210114-104109~2.png (2.08 MiB) Viewed 202 times
Screenshot_20210114-103956~2.png
Screenshot_20210114-103956~2.png (819.22 KiB) Viewed 202 times
Screenshot_20210114-104129~2.png
Screenshot_20210114-104129~2.png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 202 times
Screenshot_20210114-104038~2.png
Screenshot_20210114-104038~2.png (1.7 MiB) Viewed 202 times

Supergirllegend
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bangladesh

superfine-1.jpg
superfine-1.jpg (169.24 KiB) Viewed 167 times
Can anyone color this? I would but I'm lazy.
Supergirllegend
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bangladesh

76.jpg
76.jpg (16.78 KiB) Viewed 159 times
740full-helen-slater.jpg
740full-helen-slater.jpg (24 KiB) Viewed 159 times
dgsaew.jpg
dgsaew.jpg (300.91 KiB) Viewed 159 times