The absolute meltdown of the British Government

Topics, links and pics that are interesting, weird, or irrelevant!
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: The absolute meltdown of the British Government

Post by tallyho »

If you hold up the 2016 vote as some sort of paragon of democracy you are deluded.
Nothing promised by the Brexiteers was actually deliverable.
New hospitals every week using the £350m that doesnt exist,
Not accepting freedom of movement but still being able to access the markets we need, controlling immigration when most immigration is from outside the EU and the UK was in control of that already, is just lie upon lie upon undeliverable lie.
If thats democracy you may as well just promise everyone who votes for you a million quid ,a mansion and a holiday in the Bahamas each year and then when you have won the vote just say well actually we cant deliver any of that but the result still stands.
Do you want a blow job?
Yes!
Its from a piranha
Ah, well then no thanks
Hey blow job means blow job.

How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by tallyho »

Oh plus of course 42m voters were eligible to vote and 17.4 were dumb enough to believe a pack of lies isnt 'most of Britain voted for Brexit'

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).

lionbadger
Overlord
Overlord

Post by lionbadger »

It's set a really terrible precident, one that will come back to bite the remain status-quo loving side.

As you'll know - there is no UK constitution, it's all based on case law. As such, a case such as this has lasting repercussions.
I don't see how it comes back to bite anyone, it's an entirely sensible 2 stage test and one that is not a question in most countries.

1 yes, the courts can review use of perogative power by the PM (this is the left over Queen's power to make law on the fly without elected MPs bring involved).
2. If the intention is to circumvent parliament or remove its power then the prorogation is void.

The UK does have a constitution, it is in many ways written down but it is not codified in 1 document like the US constitution is. The key point in the uk constitution is that parliament is supreme, so it can make wearing red shirts illegal in texas or it can have all blonde children executed and you could not challenge that in the courts. Parliament and government are not the same thing.

The repercussions? The court can intervene in politics, the separation of judiciary and politics has been damaged irreparably - but consequences be damned as long as we can remain in the EU, right? ....
The courts cannot intervene in politics but if someone uses power they do not have or breaks procedure then they can make an order.

Total idiocy on the part of the judges, entertaining the change. They should have followed the High court's judgement rather than the Scot's.
The english high court (and outer house court of session for that matter) are lower than the inner house court of session which slapped down the abuse and the supreme court is not exactly unlearned.

I suspect that the fact that all of the government's fan boys who last week said this was not about brexit but rather a new legislative program are now saying this is all about brexit, proves that the court is right and this was abuse of power and lying to the queen so Boris could play a stupid bluff against the EU.

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by tallyho »

If there were LEGITIMATE reasons for a 5 and a half week delay then the court wouldnt have ruled against govt, but the world and his wife could see why it had been set at that long at a crucial time, deliberately and synically, and with no affidavits or sworn statements to support WHY it needed to be 5 weeks the court was totally right to say you cant do that for no reason other than you want to.
Attorney General Cox was appalling yesterday. Guess he saw his knighthood slipping away on account of, ya know advising it was fine to mislead the Queen on the reasons for doing it. Mislead is being generous we all know it was outright lies.
MPs are meant to represent the best interests of their constituents (thats why they are called representatives of the constituency) which means they dont blindly do what the constituents may have voted for but they ASSESS THE DETAIL and decide if its in their constituents best interests. Thats all anyone is trying to do here. There were 17.4m different versions of Brexit because Yes I want to leave meant different things to everyone who voted for it. For some it was more money to spend on health care ( given predictions are that we will be £15bn a year worse off isnt likely) to others I want to leave but still do X, or still do Y. Well negotiations are all about giving up something to get something else that you want. Any objections, Brexiteers had one answer - we can negotiate that. Well you cant negotiate EVERYTHING and keep all you want - and given most voters DIDNT vote to leave, Mays deal is about the best you are gonna get. You dont want that then you stay, its that simple

Just ask the people again if they want the deal or remain. The lies wont cut it this time as people can see it for what it is

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by tallyho »

Also having no deal as a negotiating tactic doesnt work if YOU arent ready for it but the other side clearly are. Its no threat.
I work in govt and believe me if its no deal we are FUCT. It will hurt the EU but they are braced for it with coping mechanisms in place.
We have fingers crossed that it will somehow be ok