Anyone want to defend the moron on this one?

Topics, links and pics that are interesting, weird, or irrelevant!
Bert
Overlord
Overlord

Anyone want to defend the moron on this one?

Post by Bert »

A Trump tweet from Oct. 7th, after abandoning the Kurdish forces who fought and died against ISIS in Syria:

"As I have stated strongly before, and just to reiterate, if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey (I’ve done before!)."

I, in my great and unmatched wisdom? That's Trump's solution for massive, bipartisan push-back? Well Trumpers, let's hear the defense. this should be amusing.

Femina
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Re: Anyone want to defend the moron on this one?

Post by Femina »

I love how he states that so 'Strongly' xD.

I read it like this

"As I have stated strongly before..." He Twitted.

lionbadger
Overlord
Overlord

Post by lionbadger »

He's not going to do anything, Putin wants Turkey to go hard on the Kurds, Russia steps in (with what I don't know, its military and economy is on its knees) to peace keep and Nato dosen't help out Turkey because 1. Genocide and 2. Not many votes right now in helping islamic nations.

Russia "liberates" orthodox byzantium and increases pressure on Ukraine to be a good little satellite and not try any of that freedom and capitalism we have in Europe.

Trump remains a useful idiot.

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by tallyho »

Judge has ruled hes got to give up 8 years of his tax avoidance, sorry returns. His lawyers have appealed against such a hideous request, and he bleated that no other President has had to do this before, with suitable exclamation marks of indignation. But of course thats entirely because all other presidents since Carter have voluntarily released theirs, because, ya know, they werent stealing off the American people.
They should make for interesting reading.
As for this , dont forget he has described himself as a very stable genius, and its only natural that very stable geniuses have unmatched wisdom.
Tossing your allies to the wolves is what unmatched in wisdom very stable geniuses do.
Screenshot_2019-10-03-14-39-37.png
Screenshot_2019-10-03-14-39-37.png (838.43 KiB) Viewed 697 times

How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).

Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Visitor »

Trump attacks Turkey and his Trump buildings in Turkey produce no income after dropping according to the money ranges he has given in required asset financial statements. After all he has no financial interest in the Kurds and still wants to get some in Russia.

But Trump knows what he's doing since he's smarter than all his generals with his only military experience was going to a military academy as a teen ager since he lacked discipline. He got removed from a leadership position for failing to do his job because he was chasing girls and dumped in a ceremonial job.

bushwackerbob
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by bushwackerbob »

Nope. The Kurds have been unsung heroes in the region for years, fighting Saddam, ISIS. They just want a piece of land that they can call home and be left alone to live in peace. The mere thought that we could abandon these brave and fine souls is just horrendous to even imagine. Thanks fellas for helping us fight ISIS! You're on your own now! I pray that he reverses course on this issue. This is no way to treat people who have been allies for a number of years now. The problem with the Kurds has always been a geographical one as they are split among Iraq, Syria, Turkey, and perhaps others but are so splintered that they are not a majority in any of them. I know President Trump wants the U.S to get away from the old fashioned thinking that America is the world's policeman but I still think we can be a force for good around the world and if we do not lift a finger to help a fierce and loyal ally and abandon them to bad actors in the region what does that say about the character and values that America was built on if we just up and abandon our friends.

Dazzle1
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Dazzle1 »

Nope, and lets focus on this, as opposed to bogus impeachment

As the Kurds, as opposed to Erdgoan should be supported

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by tallyho »

Yeah so 'bogus' Trump has just blocked Sondland from giving testimony, we can only assume because it would have exonerated Trump completely.
:laugh: :lol:

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).

Bert
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Bert »

I pray that he reverses course on this issue.
Unlikely. He already backed off this decision once before. If he does it again it will make him look stupid and weak, and Donald Trump will not allow himself to look weak. That's the reason for the titanicly stupid Tweet I quoted above. His own party is denouncing this move, but Trump can't reverse again so he plays the "God" card and assures us that his unique genius has this covered. Furthermore, we don't know what was said between Trump and Erdogan that led to this decision. You don't have to look very hard to see Putin's fingerprints all over this.

batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Post by batgirl1969 »

There has been war in this area since the birth of mankind, the cradle of civilization, the land between the Tigris and Euphratese rivers, Eden.
As an Italian Jew in a military family, I hear first hand about what is going on there...directly from the source sometimes...I do work in D.C. now so its hard not to mingle with military peeps...especially in my new line of work...
Bottom line, there will never be peace there so if we stay, its bad, if we leave its bad...the only way to solve this is to start over...wipe everyone out and start from scratch...maybe Jehova is getting ready to throw a giant stone at us and end it all...I will say that I am glad I didn't grow up in Israel, they make even the 18yr old girls join the military, my cousins have been involved in way more dangerous missions than my little cosplay fantasy vigilante crime fighting in Downtown Baltimore dressed as a comic book chic!! lol

so what should Trump do? more troops? less troops? no troops? either way he will be wrong in the eyes of different groups. I personally think Assad is a Jew hating tyrant that should get a fate worse than Saddham got. Same with Iran...I had a lebanese girlfriend whose family hated her because she was a beautiful lesbian, her family came from Iran to Israel then she came here to escape them and ended up in Baltimore...glad she met me...we brought our 2 cultures together in a wonderfully sapphic way...everyone should try a little arabian and italian, tasty!!!

Dazzle1
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Dazzle1 »

Yeah so 'bogus' Trump has just blocked Sondland from giving testimony, we can only assume because it would have exonerated Trump completely.
Tell me when this one goes nowhere like Russia which country will the Dems pick next?

lionbadger
Overlord
Overlord

Post by lionbadger »

As an Italian Jew in a military family, I hear first hand about what is going on there...directly from the source sometimes...
Alright! You win who's got the loudest mum!
:giggle:

Bert
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Bert »

either way he will be wrong in the eyes of different groups.
He's wrong in the eyes of every group for making this a snap decision without laying any groundwork for what will fill the vacuum. Pat Robertson just said Trump risked losing "the mandate of Heaven" for this decision. (If Trump actually has the mandate of Heaven, God is clearly dead. But that's another conversation.) Now Trump is desperately playing defense as he faces universal condemnation for yet another bonehead move. I, in my great and unmatched wisdom indeed. To those who cast a ballot for Trump, I offer an entry from The Devil's Dictionary by Ambrose Bierce:

VOTE, n. The instrument and symbol of a freeman's power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country.

Femina
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Femina »

If the Mandate of Heaven exists in a real and true divine sense, and if Trump actually has it, I will voluntarily give up my own. That's how confidant I would be that the lying asshat's got a first class ticket to hell.

batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Post by batgirl1969 »

As an Italian Jew in a military family, I hear first hand about what is going on there...directly from the source sometimes...
Alright! You win who's got the loudest mum!
:giggle:
Trust me!!!lol it can get really loud really quickly!! But the holidays are always a blast!!

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by tallyho »

Tell me when this one goes nowhere like Russia which country will the Dems pick next?
Well in fairness the last 'witch hunt' netted 38 real witches soooo.... :giggle:

Damselbinder
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Post by Damselbinder »

There has been war in this area since the birth of mankind, the cradle of civilization, the land between the Tigris and Euphratese rivers, Eden.
As an Italian Jew in a military family, I hear first hand about what is going on there...directly from the source sometimes...I do work in D.C. now so its hard not to mingle with military peeps...especially in my new line of work...
Bottom line, there will never be peace there so if we stay, its bad, if we leave its bad...the only way to solve this is to start over...wipe everyone out and start from scratch...maybe Jehova is getting ready to throw a giant stone at us and end it all...I will say that I am glad I didn't grow up in Israel, they make even the 18yr old girls join the military, my cousins have been involved in way more dangerous missions than my little cosplay fantasy vigilante crime fighting in Downtown Baltimore dressed as a comic book chic!! lol
Wipe everyone out and start from scratch? That is one of the most astoundingly vile things I've ever heard. "They can't keep peace, kill them all."

I'm sure you weren't serious, but that's beyond the pale.

A full list of my stories can be found here, with summaries to boot: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32027

batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Post by batgirl1969 »

Wipe everyone out and start from scratch? That is one of the most astoundingly vile things I've ever heard. "They can't keep peace, kill them all."

it was a joke!! Plus if you know anything about biblical theology, history or mythology what ever you call it you would know that promise to never again destroy humanity to just 9 people like Noah's family was given by the almighty and that this struggle will last until the end, whenever that is. don't crucify me for a joke...but I will admit, I LOVE being tied up to wooden poles!! 😗

Damselbinder
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Post by Damselbinder »

it was a joke!! Plus if you know anything about biblical theology, history or mythology what ever you call it you would know that promise to never again destroy humanity to just 9 people like Noah's family was given by the almighty and that this struggle will last until the end, whenever that is. don't crucify me for a joke...but I will admit, I LOVE being tied up to wooden poles!! 😗
The reason I took this so hard is because, in context, it looked you were saying it specifically about the people of the Middle East. That, even if a joke, would be a pretty bloody racist joke. I admit I misunderstood, but I don't think you made that misunderstanding all too difficult to make.

A full list of my stories can be found here, with summaries to boot: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32027

batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Post by batgirl1969 »

The reason I took this so hard is because, in context, it looked you were saying it specifically about the people of the Middle East. That, even if a joke, would be a pretty bloody racist joke. I admit I misunderstood, but I don't think you made that misunderstanding all too difficult to make.
oh no, sorry I did not mean the ME specifically...I meant the Entire planet!! Sorry!!! To me honestly there is only 1 race, the Human Race...it is all the variety that makes life interesting, I love ALL people regardless of their nationality

ksire_99
Elder Member
Elder Member

Post by ksire_99 »

The tweet is not a response to politics in the USA. It is about us (America) 'abandoning' a group of people (Kurds) that have been fighting along side America in Iraq and Syria for decades.

Why is this?

First need to understand who Erdogan is, and why we are in such a terrible position in Syria (and Iraq).

See links for a simple beginning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recep_Tayyip_Erdoğan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurds

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_Civil_War

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2015 ... tastrophe/

There is plenty of blame to go around!

Bert
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Bert »

It was Obama that stepped up and bombed ISIS in Iraq following the Sinjar Massacre, saving thousands of Kurds.

ksire_99
Elder Member
Elder Member

Post by ksire_99 »

It was Obama that stepped up and bombed ISIS in Iraq following the Sinjar Massacre, saving thousands of Kurds.
It was good that America came to the aid of our ally from the Iraq war with air support/bombing. Not sure if we had any ground assets, but it would be safe to assume some special forces personnel were present to direct those air strikes in support of Kurdish forces.

Dogfish
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Dogfish »

On the scale of worst things Trump has done, and that's a pretty horrifying list, lining up people who spent years fighting an American war for genocide by a tyrant might be at the top.

What we're seeing here is some proper Game of Thrones style evil, the sort of monstrous behaviour that you wouldn't believe possible, and that would make you think, "Why am I watching this show? It's fucking depressing, nobody is that big of a piece of shit."

Betrayal, cruelty, ignorance, greed, this decision has it all. Trump's a piece of shit for doing this.

Also holy fucking shit when are the Kurds going to catch a break, damn.

bushwackerbob
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by bushwackerbob »

I have not changed my mind one bit, this is a horrendous, cruel, callous act, abandoning our allies in this fashion. It is a mistake. One thing I will say, and I will say it sadly and regretfully is that this is what Trump campaigned on, getting our military out of places where our nation's national security is not directly at risk, that he does not see the U.S any longer as the world's policeman. What's funny is that traditionally liberals are by in large against American intervention in foreign lands where our interests are not directly involved. I believe President Obama made a mistake by leaving Iraq therefore creating a vacuum that ISIS took advantage of. The law of unintended consequences. I believe President Trump is also making a grave error in leaving Syria, leaving the Kurds fate to the two evil, bad actors in the region Assad and Erdoghan, but this time the tragic outcome is clear for everyone to see. Yes, politically he made a campaign promise, but it is morally wrong to abandon allies that helped our country fight the war on terror. Instead of considering the geopolitics of these decisions let us focus on the humanity of these innocent, brave people who will lose their lives to these vicious tyrants. I guess there is still a part of me that does feel that America can be a force for good in the world today, that we not just crawl into our own little myopic holes and ignore the injustice and noise of the rest of the world. We owed the Kurds a debt of gratitude and instead they are getting from us a callous disregard for their existence, that their lives, their sacrifices mean nothing. I am sorry if this sounds corny but the Kurds are not merely chess pieces on a game board in the Middle East, they are actual human beings who fought with you against Islamic terrorists and ISIS, and they deserve more than our abandonment and indifference.

Bert
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Bert »

Extremely well said. Regarding American military involvement around the world, I think the Pentagon and previous presidents have seen it as an investment in keeping America safe by combating enemies on their own turf rather than waiting for them to threaten the continental U.S. That's too complicated for Trump, as was the TPP deal he scuttled. The TPP was meant to combat China's influence in the region, but Trump killed it simply to burnish his self-described master deal maker fantasy.

Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Visitor »

Trump has a long history of abandoning allies when he no longer needs them. All he cares about is himself and getting his way.

He already cut the number of people that helped US troops in Iraq and Afghanistan from being able to come to the US so they can get killed over there for helping us.

He tried to get a Giuliani client off on US criminal charges in 2017 that was involved in corruption in Turkey.
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/10 ... ey-erdogan

He supported Turkey over the Kurds and its already hurting us in Syria.

Dogfish
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Dogfish »

I have not changed my mind one bit, this is a horrendous, cruel, callous act, abandoning our allies in this fashion. It is a mistake. One thing I will say, and I will say it sadly and regretfully is that this is what Trump campaigned on, getting our military out of places where our nation's national security is not directly at risk, that he does not see the U.S any longer as the world's policeman. What's funny is that traditionally liberals are by in large against American intervention in foreign lands where our interests are not directly involved. I believe President Obama made a mistake by leaving Iraq therefore creating a vacuum that ISIS took advantage of. The law of unintended consequences. I believe President Trump is also making a grave error in leaving Syria, leaving the Kurds fate to the two evil, bad actors in the region Assad and Erdoghan, but this time the tragic outcome is clear for everyone to see. Yes, politically he made a campaign promise, but it is morally wrong to abandon allies that helped our country fight the war on terror. Instead of considering the geopolitics of these decisions let us focus on the humanity of these innocent, brave people who will lose their lives to these vicious tyrants. I guess there is still a part of me that does feel that America can be a force for good in the world today, that we not just crawl into our own little myopic holes and ignore the injustice and noise of the rest of the world. We owed the Kurds a debt of gratitude and instead they are getting from us a callous disregard for their existence, that their lives, their sacrifices mean nothing. I am sorry if this sounds corny but the Kurds are not merely chess pieces on a game board in the Middle East, they are actual human beings who fought with you against Islamic terrorists and ISIS, and they deserve more than our abandonment and indifference.
I agree but this is much worse than simply leaving Syria. If he'd just pulled troops out that'd be one thing, but what he did was agreed to cede land, that belonged to US allies, to Turkey. So it's not just that he's backed away, it's that he was allowed to build a hotel in Turkey and in return for that he's just signed the death warrants of thousands of soldiers who were literally on the same side as the USA in Syria.

There are plenty of examples of US presidents having people killed in vast numbers, Bush with Iraq, Obama with his drone list, but this is something else. This is next level. This will go down in history as one of the most vile betrayals by a western country.

shevek
Producer
Producer

Post by shevek »

Bert-

Not to put too fine a point on it, but those were the Yazidis at Sinjar. What actually happened was that due to the U.S airstrikes, the Kurds (a combination of PKK, YPG and Peshmerga) were able to go in on the ground, and rescue 50,000 Yazidis from dying on the mountain, and then prosecute the offensive against ISIS by breaking their supply line between Mosul and Raqqa.

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by tallyho »

This is what he does - diverts attention from home with sudden foreign policy switches

Mueller enquiry getting hot? Recognize Tel Aviv in face of UN peace mandate for the region- cue riots and bloodshed for a week and the domestic issues are temporarily forgotten
Cohen causing trouble? Sudden summit with Kim Jong who is no longer the little rocket man but a great young man (who has committed murder first hand and state sanctioned in the case of his own brother)

This is a particularly appalling act and that he actually said The Kurds didn't help us in Normandy?!!!!!
Jesus.
Maybe he can use his 'great and unmatched wisdom' to 'man the air' and 'seize the airports' like you did back in 1776

The guy is dangerously retarded and is getting people killed right this minute. Appalling human being.

You are so lucky that he is a very stable genius as if he wasnt he might do some really crazy shit

Bert
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Bert »

I stand corrected. I thought Yazidis were Kurds. In fact they are yet another persecuted religious minority.

lionbadger
Overlord
Overlord

Post by lionbadger »

This is a particularly appalling act and that he actually said The Kurds didn't help us in Normandy?!!!!!
Jesus.
I think to be fair this is being a little misinterpreted

I mean, Trump is ethnically german

shevek
Producer
Producer

Post by shevek »

I stand corrected. I thought Yazidis were Kurds. In fact they are yet another persecuted religious minority.
Yes, along with Assyrians, Copts, Alevis, Persian Gulf Shia, Beja, Amazigh, etc. There are lots of endangered persecuted minorities in the Middle East, both ethnic and religious, and they are victims of both Islamic fundamentalism and despotic authoritarianism, and sometimes both. The Kurds, however, are by far the biggest minority without a country in that area, at 11 million or so.

shevek
Producer
Producer

Post by shevek »

Yes, along with Assyrians, Copts, Alevis, Persian Gulf Shia, Beja, Amazigh, etc. There are lots of endangered persecuted minorities in the Middle East, both ethnic and religious, and they are victims of both Islamic fundamentalism and despotic authoritarianism, and sometimes both. The Kurds, however, are by far the biggest minority without a country in that area, at 11 million or so.

Also the quote about the Kurds not helping us in Normandy is taken slightly out of context - it's from an article that Trump read. Slate explains it pretty well, actually. It's about Trump's "transactional" method of foreign policy:

"The Kurds were an ally worth defending when we had a common strategic interest in defeating ISIS, the argument goes, but now that the U.S. feels it has accomplished that, there’s not much use for the Kurds anymore. The point being, in the article at least, that the Kurds didn’t join the Americans to fight in Normandy—or elsewhere—because those conflicts were outside of their territory and strategic interest and the U.S. should use the same calculus.

[Below is the text from the article that Trump read:]
'The Kurds helped destroy ISIS, true. It’s also true that the Kurds would have fought ISIS anyway, since the psycho caliphate was right next door. Let’s be honest–the Kurds didn’t show up for us at Normandy or Inchon or Khe Sanh or Kandahar. The Syrian Kurds allied with us in their homeland because we shared a common interest in wiping out the head-lopping freak show that was ISIS… This idea that some sort of obligation for America to defend another people can arise outside the treaty ratification process is as bizarre as it is unconstitutional. Now we’re supposed to shed our blood because our elites feel we owe it to foreign strangers?'

This argument, though flippant, fits in well with Trump’s transactional existence where he looks to gain the upper hand by shortchanging people at the expense of long-term gains. The acceptable costs and limits of U.S. support for allies is surely a legitimate topic of discussion, it’s just not one that Trump appears to have ever had with anyone.
Basically since we don't have a treaty or long-term defense arrangement to continue helping the Kurds (as we do with Israel or Saudi Arabia, for example) we're going to toss their meat to the wolf Erdogan. It's really terrible. And I say this as someone who has followed the events in Rojava
since its beginning. I'm not a far-leftist myself, nor do I think such ideology works in wider contexts or in huge heterogeneous nations, but I do admire the fact that the Syrian Kurds (following the guidance of Abdullah Ocalan, who is Public Enemy Number One in Turkey) have (if perhaps only briefly) constructed the only mildly successful socialist-collectivist quasi-nation-state in history..for all intents and purposes as close to Ursula K LeGuin's Odonian philosophy as one could imagine on Earth. Just as a thought experiment writ large, it's fairly interesting.

Bert
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Bert »

This is not a complicated matter. ISIS was a fast-growing group who threatened the U.S. The U.S. partnered with the Kurds to fight and defeat ISIS. After a phone call with Turkey's leader, Donald Trump unilaterally withdrew American protection for the Kurds. He did this without consultation with anyone at the State Department or the Pentagon, who were both caught off guard by the announcement. Now Turkey is attacking and killing Kurds in Syria. Trump's withdrawal is directly responsible for the deaths of Kurdish soldiers who fought and defeated ISIS. The blood of every one of those Kurdish soldiers is on Trump's hands. James Mattis quit in protest when Trump tried to do this the first time. This Turkish attack on American allies is why Mattis quit. Mattis is a military man and he understands honor. Donald Trump is unfamiliar with the concept.