Where do you prefer the superheroine's powers originate from?

General discussions about superheroines!

Natural (aka born with them)
27%
Gem/Artifact Based
27%
Costume Based
27%
Gifted From The Gods
8%
Injection/Radiation/etc.
12%
Other (Please Comment)
No votes

Total votes: 26
Supergirl77
Sargeant
Sargeant

I have been crafting a rough outline of a superheroine origin story and this infrequent poster thought of something that could be a good poll question:

Each option gives a boatload of peril and story options associated with it.

What's your preference? Mine is Injection/Radiation/etc. as it thrusts a new heroine into some peril as she obtains her powers.

Vote above and/or comment below!

And stay safe and healthy!
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

For me it is costume based. I know that some here on the forum feel that belt removal is a bit repetitive and played out in stories and films, but for someone like me who just love that moment where the reversal of fortune occurs, when the source of the heroine's powers are removed, that one moment in a film or story is one of the key elements in terms of enjoying said film or story. When that moment is played up for all of its drama and story beat potential, the costume based power removal can be a truly magical moment in a SHP story or film.
DonShip
Overlord
Overlord

I like her powers to come from some piece of jewelry or costume (belt, anyone?). Depowering a heroine is almost as much fun as unmasking her.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

I noticed with some of the Jav heroines, the weaker they get, the thinner, more revealing their costumes become. It is expensive for the producers to have multiple outfits for the characters, but it does look awesome when the the heroine’s outfit ends up being almost see through.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Personally it's a toss up between artifact and radiation/potion. I like them both since, as other have mentioned, removal of those pieces can change the whole narrative in an instant, PLUS defending AGAINST that act is a big part of the story as well.

Radiation/Potion is someting I've been wanting to explore further, i.e. getting things done before the potion wears off, powers expiring at the most inopportune times, etc.

Good poll!
shevek
Producer
Producer

Great poll!

Had go with "injection/radation" because in our series, most of the characters' powers come from dark energy radiation which causes epigenetic changes in their genetic makeup. Even though the radiation comes from meteors, the fragments are not really "artifacts" because they don't stick around - once used, they disappear and get absorbed.

A secondary source for some of the characters is sometimes a potion (e.g. venom, toxin or serum) which alters or augments their powers. But I would assume that ingestion also falls under the category of injection.

Another category we'll be trying in the near future is scientific "costume based" powers - we already have power dampeners which drain the energy, but we will be introducing devices that augment and focus the energy as well. In our new episode, one of the heroines acquires "infinity bracelets" which help focus her laser powers, and there'll be some other great-looking devices coming up as well, which will offer a chance for some costume removal.

Just personal taste, but I don't find "gifts from the gods" (which is essentially magic) to be particularly engaging or sexy. Although obviously we like Wonder Woman just fine, in general it just seems too high and mighty. Several of our characters name themselves *after* goddesses in their various ethnic pantheons, and in our new episode one villainess even proclaims "I am a goddess!" but it's made pretty clear that it's a mythological derivation only, and just part of her ego trip.

Really good question, though. Surprised nobody's asked it before!
dragontigerandhorse1985
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Supergirl77 wrote:
4 years ago
I have been crafting a rough outline of a superheroine origin story and this infrequent poster thought of something that could be a good poll question:

Each option gives a boatload of peril and story options associated with it.

What's your preference? Mine is Injection/Radiation/etc. as it thrusts a new heroine into some peril as she obtains her powers.

Vote above and/or comment below!

And stay safe and healthy!
There are two main, but not exclusive ways a superheroine gets their powers.

From Superman and then the six year supergirl t.v. show, Being born on Krypton or the sister planet mentioned in Supergirl. The heros have different weaknesses. Kryptonite and lead.

Or for Flash, we know from the show how he got his powers and he was beat often.
ThatOnePervert
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Took me a while to decide on this. I think to me it's less about the power in more about the weaknesses. I generally like it when a heroine has creative weakness with power items being a close second. Generally I see the most creative weaknesses from Godly/Magical powers because they're the easiest to justify the limitations on.