Lynda Carter Wonder Woman is out on Blu-Ray

General discussions about superheroines!
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

So the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman series is out on Blu-ray now. Apparently it came out last year, but I never heard about it. Heck, I was even signed up to a website to get an email notifications when it was released.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087GVXZ29

Was I the only one who didn't know this was out?
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

No, but I bought the DVDs years ago. I doubt they added much new material.
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

no new material, but the video quality is so much better.
Check out my superheroine-related short stories here:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/brdiy/works
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Well, the Blu-rays arrived today, hooray.

It's true that the content is essentially the same as the DVD set. The extras from the DVDs are still there, though. That's a missed opportunity, and a disappointment, but it is not a deal-breaker.

Picture quality is exceptional. They advertise it as a new transfer. It looks better than the HD streaming version of the show: picture quality is better, there are finer details and so far no visible artifacts. The aspect ratio is 4:3, so no cropping. The frame rate is also either higher, or better matched to the source, so there is less blurring during action shots. On that front, I couldn't be happier. This is the best version of the show that has ever been made available.

For instance, in Baroness, you can slow-mo through the knockout scene, and Wonder Woman mostly stays in focus the whole way down. There is a little blurring, but that's probably present in the 35 mm film the show was shot on.

I'm expecting to be able to read street signs in the background of the episodes set in the 1970s. You could do this to some extent with the HD streaming version, but the Blu-rays are superior. Plug the street names into Google Maps, and you've got the filming locations, which can be fun to look at.

The final verdict: I'm very pleased with this, the quality is high, if you're a fan of the show you will want this.
Last edited by Lurkndog 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Or a fan of street signs.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Con: the special features carried over from the DVD set are not in native HD. They appear to have been scaled up for the Blu-rays.

Pro: The dynamic color range of the new transfer is better than anything that came before. This makes night scenes like the capture scene in Formula 407 look a lot better. There is much more detail in the darker parts of the scenes. there is less banding, and you can generally see what is going on much better.