"Batgirl" movie canceled by WB (Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah directed)

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
Shakeshift wrote:No to Batgirl 1969. Although she's adorable, to acknowledge the Adam West era Batgirl in purple is to also say that somewhere out there in Gotham there's also an Adam West styled Batman running around. Nope. Nope nope nope!
I think the suggestion was for the forum member batgirl1969, not a replica of the Yvonne Craig version.

Obviously, the DCEU has its head stuck way too far up its own asshole with dark brooding and quasi-religious philosophy to allow for brightly-colored adventure. There may still be a place for camp in live action, though. Probably on TV. Powerless is nearly there, but a lot of the comedy on that show falls flat.

Doing camp right is extremely difficult. The 1960s Batman was like catching lightning in a bottle. If you've ever seen the same production team's 1967 attempt at a Wonder Woman pilot, it's clear that even the grand masters of camp seriously misjudged the comedy on that occasion.

Sorry to upset TallyHo

But is that the two hour movie with Linda Day George and Ricardo Montablan as the villian?
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:

Sorry to upset TallyHo

But is that the two hour movie with Linda Day George and Ricardo Montablan as the villian?
No, "Who's Afraid of Diana Prince?" was a short presentation Dozier made for Fox, hoping to get a WW series commissioned. Similar to the Batgirl presentation, only extremely crap.

If you search on YouTube for "Wonder Woman 1967", it will be the first result. I won't contaminate the forum with an embedded link.

It only lasts a few minutes, but it seems like hours. You might want to watch it once for the sake of morbid curiosity. After that, I doubt you'll ever want to see it again.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

BE FOREWARNED DAZZLE!

You may wish to do an Oedipus and gouge your eyes out with a broach pin whilst/after watching that
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

It just had one really bad idea that ruined the whole pilot. It could have been worse as WB has demonstrated with their last WW TV pilot where multiple writers and lots of money couldn't salvage all the bad ideas.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I survived, but watching it would have been useful for Gitmo
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

It does kind of tie in with the weight of expectation on Joss Whedon now. The concept of a lost Wonder Woman pilot from 1967 by William Dozier and the Batman team seems guaranteed to be a camp classic. Yet it's really not.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

part of the nostalga for the 67 series Batgirl is not only how hot she looked in the costume, the live version comparison is Alicia Silverstone
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dazzle1 wrote:part of the nostalga for the 67 series Batgirl is not only how hot she looked in the costume, the live version comparison is Alicia Silverstone
That's more the fault of costume designers than the actress. The later film costumes have generally been panned especially the nipples on Batman's costume. It wasn't that bad and imagine what it would look like after BvS where the weight would drag down most actresses.

The Batgirl origin got completely rewritten and then dropped in the Nolan version. It just seemed tacked on to a complicated plot and could have been dropped without losing the main plot. She was there as the computer hacker for the group and Alfred's password was laughably easy to break as it was only 3 letters.
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
Heroine Addict wrote:
Shakeshift wrote:No to Batgirl 1969. Although she's adorable, to acknowledge the Adam West era Batgirl in purple is to also say that somewhere out there in Gotham there's also an Adam West styled Batman running around. Nope. Nope nope nope!
I think the suggestion was for the forum member batgirl1969, not a replica of the Yvonne Craig version.

Obviously, the DCEU has its head stuck way too far up its own asshole with dark brooding and quasi-religious philosophy to allow for brightly-colored adventure. There may still be a place for camp in live action, though. Probably on TV. Powerless is nearly there, but a lot of the comedy on that show falls flat.

Doing camp right is extremely difficult. The 1960s Batman was like catching lightning in a bottle. If you've ever seen the same production team's 1967 attempt at a Wonder Woman pilot, it's clear that even the grand masters of camp seriously misjudged the comedy on that occasion.

Sorry to upset TallyHo

I think it was actually Cathy Lee Crosby in that movie.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Linda Day George would have been awesome.
CrimsonMaster
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

Mr. X wrote:Linda Day George would have been awesome.
Linda Day George guest starred as a Nazi in the first season of WW. :lynda1:
shevek
Producer
Producer

Again, I'd rather see a new Birds of Prey TV series. i.e. a series that explicitly puts *only* heroines in the forefront. You've already got appearances by Canary and Huntress on the CW. Just add Batgirl, Lady Blackhawk (someone's gotta fly the plane) and Dove (that magical transformation would be so sexy on TV!), plus various guest heroines popping in and out (Manhunter, Misfit, Black Alice, Rose and Thorn, whoever) and you've got it. It would be the perfect confluence of all worlds, everything that empowered & vocal female comicbook fans want to see....but also everything we want to see as well!

Definitely looking forward to hearing more about the Batgirl movie, though. I brought it up with a lot of convention goers this weekend and they hadn't heard about it yet.
Richpartist
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Lindsey Morgan yes PLEASE :love:
And hopefully we would get a shot like this after a unmasking :)
JohnFeer
Henchman
Henchman

I've always thought "Birds of Prey" was a natural animated series prospect....Lady Blackhawk has to bust thru somewhere I guess...:)
Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCEUleaks/comm ... ra_gordon/
A friend of mine was recently contacted by WB to work on concept art for the upcoming Batgirl film. WB wants to get an actress signed by SDCC so they can make an surprise announcement on stage during their presentation. I spoke with him a couple days ago and he said that these are the actresses he was asked to develop concept art for.

Elle Fanning (Neon Demon/Live By Night)
Olivia Cooke (Bates Motel)
Bella Throne (Shake It Up!)
Katherine Langford (13 Reasons Why)
Margaret Qualley (The Leftovers)
Jane Levy (Don't Breathe)
Emma Roberts (Scream Queens)
Haley Lu Richardson (Split/Edge Of Seventeen)
Naomi Scott (Power Rangers)

He won't tell me why but he believes Langford is currently the frontrunner with Fanning, Levy & Qualley behind.
KnightsofGotham.com
Producer
Producer

can anyone point to where its been said that it wont be batgirl of burnside?
Bronson881
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I can go with a Batgirl series if well written and cast well. And of course let her be the daughter of the police commissioner.
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

Nykron wrote:
6 years ago
https://www.reddit.com/r/DCEUleaks/comm ... ra_gordon/
A friend of mine was recently contacted by WB to work on concept art for the upcoming Batgirl film. WB wants to get an actress signed by SDCC so they can make an surprise announcement on stage during their presentation. I spoke with him a couple days ago and he said that these are the actresses he was asked to develop concept art for.

Elle Fanning (Neon Demon/Live By Night)
Olivia Cooke (Bates Motel)
Bella Throne (Shake It Up!)
Katherine Langford (13 Reasons Why)
Margaret Qualley (The Leftovers)
Jane Levy (Don't Breathe)
Emma Roberts (Scream Queens)
Haley Lu Richardson (Split/Edge Of Seventeen)
Naomi Scott (Power Rangers)

He won't tell me why but he believes Langford is currently the frontrunner with Fanning, Levy & Qualley behind.
A lot of good options there.

Here is Haley Lu Richardson

https://i0.wp.com/secretcitygeeklab.com ... =672%2C372
wondergirlsupragirl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Katherine Langford is absolutely beautiful, she would look awesome dressed in the Batgirl costume!

http://weheartit.com/ladyblackrose/coll ... e-langford
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

KnightsofGotham.com wrote:
6 years ago
can anyone point to where its been said that it wont be batgirl of burnside?
It came from an article in Entertainment Weekly:

The big question: which Batgirl? There have been many women behind the cowl.
Sources tell EW that this version will be Barbara Gordon, daughter of Commissioner Gordon, and the movie will use the DC Comics “New 52” version of the character as a starting point.
In that timeline, launched in 2011, Barbara Gordon has recovered from a paralyzing spinal injury notoriously inflicted on her by the Joker in the 1988 graphic novel The Killing Joke. In the earlier books, that damage confined her to a wheelchair and ended her flying, swinging, punching career as Batgirl — but she continued to fight the good fight under the name Oracle as a super-hacker.
The New 52 books feature her several years after the Joker attack, having recovered full mobility after experimental surgery, although she is still haunted by the near-death experience.
It’s unclear how much of that series, written by Gail Simone, will be incorporated into Whedon’s film, but sources tell EW the movie will follow Simone’s harder-edged storyline rather than the more comical, playful “Batgirl of Burnside” series that was rebooted in 2014, featuring the hero as a social-media obsessed student living in a hipster neighborhood of Gotham.
wondergirlsupragirl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Katherine Langford would look perfect wearing Alicia Silverstone's Batgirl costume! But if Alicia Silverstone wants to star as Batgirl again in Whedon's possible up and coming Batgirl movie blockbuster that would be pretty awesome too!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... e8f906.jpg

http://pa1.narvii.com/6316/d08188377870 ... 9e7_hq.gif

http://batman-news.com/2017/05/16/alici ... irl-again/

:ybat: :smile:
Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
7 years ago
It is kind of annoying that so much of the new Bat mythology is being told, rather than shown. Such as the murder of Robin (Jason Todd?), the burning of Wayne Manor and - if they're going down the New 52 route - the temporary crippling of Batgirl. There's no sense of urgency if the dramatic stuff has already happened in the past. SHOW, DON'T TELL!
That is a very good point.

They haven't even introduced Robin, which is bad because he needs to be in place before they do Batgirl.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Adil and Bilall could very well do a fantastic job on this Batgirl production, with their money-making history on action-packed, highly entertaining crime/gangster shoot-'em-up flicks like Bad Boys for Life. If you want to see Batgirl placed in some seriously dangerous peril, these are the guys to do it. I also like how their West Side story homage 'Black' from 2015 didn't flinch at all from showing exactly what the underbelly of the European Union looks like (while the fancy un-elected elite meets in Brussels, Moroccans and Congolese battle for breadcrumbs in the streets).

I worry about one thing, though: We all know what's been happening for the past few years with red-haired adventure characters.
With the fall of Red Sonja, Barbara Gordon is quite literally the Last Ginger Standing. Anyone want to place odds on yet another casting erasure?
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Glad that this project is moving along after being already in development for the last 343 years (feels like it).
Haven't seen Bad Boys for Life, perhaps I will now...even I don't think you can really get any clues out of it how good they are suited for this movie.
Now they need to find a capable and stunning actress and put her into a rather awesome costume (Batgirl suit from "Batman and Robin" + full cowl incl. chin strap from the Arkham video games).
Hopefully, they don't hire the chick who ruined the costumes in the "Birds of Prey" movie....
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

What color scheme and style is everyone hoping for? classic 66 suit upgraded to material like Batwoman? Silverstone suit? classic black/yellow? all balck Cassie(the one I wear) with full face bondage hood style mask? or Stephanie Brown?
I would love personally the 60's version but that will never happen
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

batgirl1969 wrote:
2 years ago
What color scheme and style is everyone hoping for? classic 66 suit upgraded to material like Batwoman? Silverstone suit? classic black/yellow? all balck Cassie(the one I wear) with full face bondage hood style mask? or Stephanie Brown?
Classic that Emily Addison does so well on CC videos.

I agree it won't happen
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
2 years ago
batgirl1969 wrote:
2 years ago
Classic that Emily Addison does so well on CC videos.

I agree it won't happen
My favorite is the Angela Summers WMBC version... MY GOD!
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The other question is who is Batgirl's foe going to be

Are they going to create an original one?

Unlike Nightwing who had Deathstroke and Brother Blood which were not Batman's foes first who does she have?
shevek
Producer
Producer

Dazzle1 wrote:
2 years ago

Unlike Nightwing who had Deathstroke and Brother Blood which were not Batman's foes first who does she have?
Deathstroke and Brother Blood started out as Teen Titans foes first.

Probably my favorite Batgirl foe from the comics is Knightfall (Charise Carnes), who was created by Gail Simone. She could gather together a group of tightly-costumed all-female foes that Batgirl would have to contend against, such as Gretel, Katharsis, and Joker's Daughter (OK, the last one isn't so sexy). Plus her obsession seems to be about gentrification which is topical. The only thing is, I think a couple of those characters were co-created by Ardian Syaf and I wouldn't want that guy get any money from it, but maybe he wouldn't because he's cancelled all the way in Indonesia.

Batgirl1969, I agree with you that the Angela Summers costume from the Jim Weathers vids is probably the best one in SHIP.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
2 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
2 years ago

Deathstroke and Brother Blood started out as Teen Titans foes first.

Probably my favorite Batgirl foe from the comics is Knightfall (Charise Carnes), who was created by Gail Simone. She could gather together a group of tightly-costumed all-female foes that Batgirl would have to contend against, such as Gretel, Katharsis, and Joker's Daughter (OK, the last one isn't so sexy). Plus her obsession seems to be about gentrification which is topical. The only thing is, I think a couple of those characters were co-created by Ardian Syaf and I wouldn't want that guy get any money from it, but maybe he wouldn't because he's cancelled all the way in Indonesia.

Batgirl1969, I agree with you that the Angela Summers costume from the Jim Weathers vids is probably the best one in SHIP.
Ok Titans, but Deahtstroke's main foe on the Titan is Grayson
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

batgirl1969 wrote:
2 years ago
It's a bat thing so it'll be black because they always are. Until we get a grey, purple and yellow Batman costume like the '66 version I don't think we'll see any colour variation from the others either.
JWeathers
Producer
Producer

I would put my vote in for the 1966 version, but you are correct, it will NEVER happen. The current generation would all instantly have their heads explode in one, massive, collective supernova of wokeness.
Bronson881
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I agree that the 1966 version would be great but I could settle for Alicia Silverstone's Batgirl outfit.
Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Sources tell Deadline execs are expecting to test a group of actresses starting this week for the highly coveted role of Batgirl. Though test deals are still being locked up and some have already passed, some of the talent expected to test for the role include Isabella Merced, Zoey Deutch and Leslie Grace. We have also heard Haley Lu Richardson’s name but she might have bowed out before the test process.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

of the group I think this would be my choice
20210720_082335.png
20210720_082335.png (1.87 MiB) Viewed 4711 times
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

batgirl1969 wrote:
2 years ago
of the group I think this would be my choice
20210720_082335.png
Yes mine too but, what about who they get for BG?
:giggle:

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
McGheeny
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

It would be great if they went with a younger actress that could grow with a potential franchise. Mackenzie Foy or Thomasin McKenzie could be a good choice, IMHO.

Mackenzie Foy.png
Mackenzie Foy.png (3.55 MiB) Viewed 4673 times
Trained in ballet, jazz and tap. She also holds a black belt in Taekwondo.
Thomasin McKenzie.png
Thomasin McKenzie.png (853.98 KiB) Viewed 4673 times
Has done action roles.

I'd also like to see the early Purple style Batgirl costume. Who knows, maybe Purple can become the new Black.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Pugh could also work. She's done an action role already and she's popular right now.
Damselbinder

Mr. X wrote:
2 years ago
Pugh could also work. She's done an action role already and she's popular right now.
I demur. I don't trust anyone who would willingly date Zach Braff.
shevek
Producer
Producer

I finally watched Bad Boys for Life. It's an exciting flick with lots of action, car chases and explosions. Will Smith and Martin Lawrence are entertaining in this violent buddy cop movie that also has a scary hot Mexican villainess, "La Bruja" (The Witch).

So, I could see the directors of Bad Boys doing quite a good job with a Batgirl movie. However, I still predict that Barbara and James Gordon will be cast according to a progressive agenda. We'll see.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Well, the search is already over..... Leslie Grace is the new Batgirl!
https://www.thewrap.com/leslie-grace-ba ... max-movie/
-
I think she looks.....ok. Still pretty young and inexperienced as an actress.
On her own twitter channel she describes herself as "Singer/Songwriter • Sony Music Latin Artist".
Let's see how she will do in the role.
Now they have to find a good costume....still one of the most important aspects of the whole movie for me.
-
Last edited by Maskripper 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I'm more can they finally have a decent script, because otherwise I can wait until somme loads the CGI fight highlights on YouTube.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Also:
Batwoman is played by Javicia Leslie.
Batgirl will be played by Leslie Grace.

It takes a Leslie to become a Bat ;-)
-

argento
Elder Member
Elder Member

She's cute! :yes:
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

argento wrote:
2 years ago
Why take selfies in toilets?
I despair of the world.

argento
Elder Member
Elder Member

tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
argento wrote:
2 years ago
Because she likes to heat up the forums :evil: ! It's just narcissism
Why take selfies in toilets?
I despair of the world.
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

shevek wrote:
2 years ago
And the Gingercide continues.
True and predictable, but is batgirl's "human form" actually ginger, or is the red hair a wig that's part of the costume?
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

ivandobsky wrote:
2 years ago
shevek wrote:
2 years ago
And the Gingercide continues.
True and predictable, but is batgirl's "human form" actually ginger, or is the red hair a wig that's part of the costume?
It depends upon the version. The 1960s TV show had a wig, but the comic book and newspaper series made at the same time had it real hair color.