Shazam (2019)

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Comicon trailer for Shazam. Kind of makes sense to make it a comedy given that costume.
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Ok I liked the guy in Chuck (and a lot more Yvonne of course), much less in Heroes 2, but this seems reaaaally too campy for my tastes.
shevek
Producer
Producer

I think this will be fun and hopefully evoke some of the spirit of the Shazam/Isis hour of the 70s but with much better production.
I'm sure a lot of us on here wish that Isis and Mary Marvel could be in this. Maybe if it does well, we could see them in the sequel.....
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Comments on Trailer by Emergency Awesome channel...

Last edited by theScribbler 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Holy shit this actually looks really good.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Shazam is HOT!!! That suit is incredible...sure would love to see one like it on Mary Marvel too....yummmmm this movie looks fun!
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Gotta admit, of all the DC superhero films I thought I'd be excited for, Shazam was at the bottom of the list... but the trailer killed it.
Damselbinder

I think this looks like a mediocre comedy at best. Another here-today-gone-tomorrow-er, I fear.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Yeah, didnt grab me either
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
shevek
Producer
Producer

The emphasis on junk food and convenience stores makes me think of Clerks / Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back etc. If only Shazam could fight four women in tight catsuits :) ...but seriously, the thing that's lacking in the trailer is the identity of the major supervillain he goes up against. I wonder who that will be?
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Fair play to DC it looks like they've decided to just power through from the Snyderverse horrorshow and set a course for more fun movies. It's a smarter long term if they're planning to keep making movies, it's not like anybody remembers the bad Marvel movies at this point and maybe ten years down the line nobody will remember the bad DC ones either.

This could be great because done right they've got some legendary characters to work with, and even some of the ones on the periphery are pretty awesome. They just needed to stop taking everything so seriously.

Aquaman's trailer seems to be going in the same direction of focussing on being entertaining rather than on failing to understand the central characters. Also Amber Heard looks insanely hot in it. I thought hot superhero movie character might have peaked with Harley Quinn but apparently not. Plus Aquaman doesn't seem to be taking place at night against armies of grey dusty weirdos so we might actually get a look at her.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Aquaman trailer looked great, especially that submarine scene. A big, strong man pushing up a large, long, hard object full of sea men. Oh my.
Bert

It's sounding more and more like Mary Marvel will be appearing in the Shazam movie. Um, yay!
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Really ? Source ?
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I saw this preview and than the other Captain Marvel preview and neither impressed me

Why D.C have you not done a Nightwing movie, one of the top 10 D.C heroes

Why Marvel have you not done a Black Widow with Scarlett Johanson?
shevek
Producer
Producer

A Black Widow movie is happening, I thought?

I didn't hear until just now that the whole Marvel Family (tne newest lineup as per the current Shazam title) would be in the movie.
If they do, it's going to be a crowded screen at some point, but I guess the whole "Burger King Kids Club" aspect to every hero having
their own backup superteam for the audience's diversity appeal (Carol Danvers has the same in the other Captain Marvel flick with her Kree Corps) makes sense in today's pop-culture climate..as long as the story's good and the visuals pop, it should be fine.

If we see photos of Grace Fulton suiting up as Mary Marvel, the next couple years are lit, as the kids like to say, with nonstop superheroine action!
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Black Widow is in development. No point complaining about it now. As for Nightwing... *shrug* Isn't robin supposed to be dead in the current DCU? If they make a Nightwing film now it'll be post course correct anyway... which should honestly be preferable to what would have inevitably come out terribly under the Dark Content (DC) Superhero universe they were sucking ass with before anyway.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
5 years ago
Black Widow is in development. No point complaining about it now. As for Nightwing... *shrug* Isn't robin supposed to be dead in the current DCU? If they make a Nightwing film now it'll be post course correct anyway... which should honestly be preferable to what would have inevitably come out terribly under the Dark Content (DC) Superhero universe they were sucking ass with before anyway.
Which Universe?

Right now Nightwing seems to be the central figure in Netflix Titans and Young Justice Outsiders

On the two movies coming out there both are cringe worthy
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
Femina wrote:
5 years ago
Which Universe?

Right now Nightwing seems to be the central figure in Netflix Titans and Young Justice Outsiders

The Dark Continuity/Dark Content universe (DCU xD.) Which seems to be mostly over now (thank god) that Shazam and Aquaman and Wonder Woman are using some less shaded camera lenses. Superman, Batman Vs Superman, Suicide Squad, etc. Movies that were all terrible and all tried to be dark and edgy for Superhero films because it works usually for Batman... I suppose theoretically a Nightwing film could thrive with the 'dark/gritty' theme in a similar way that Batman does since he's in the batfamily... but I'd still consider myself a lucky fan if DC forgot to make a film about one of my favorite heroes during the period where all their movies sucked. Here's hoping for your sake, that when they do make a Nightwing film, they've got their shit together.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
5 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
Femina wrote:
5 years ago
Which Universe?

The Dark Continuity/Dark Content universe (DCU xD.) Which seems to be mostly over now (thank god) that Shazam and Aquaman and Wonder Woman are using some less shaded camera lenses. Superman, Batman Vs Superman, Suicide Squad, etc. Movies that were all terrible and all tried to be dark and edgy for Superhero films because it works usually for Batman... I suppose theoretically a Nightwing film could thrive with the 'dark/gritty' theme in a similar way that Batman does since he's in the batfamily... but I'd still consider myself a lucky fan if DC forgot to make a film about one of my favorite heroes during the period where all their movies sucked. Here's hoping for your sake, that when they do make a Nightwing film, they've got their shit together.

You have some good points. The best D.C movies for me, were the two Batmans with Michael Keaton.

for some reason DC get animation right, but fails in live action
shevek
Producer
Producer

Shazam early screening pulled in $3.3 million which is more than Aquaman did.
Getting lots of good early reviews about how entertaining and fun Zachary Levi is, and how much heart this movie has.

Unless I'm missing something in the reviews, Grace Fulton plays Mary in the movie but never becomes Mary Marvel ("members of the Marvel Family were underutilized"). I'm hoping that's somehow wrong and she transforms by the end. (My ultimate Shazam movie would feature her succumbing to villainy in the amazing black latex Dark Mary costume from the New 52 comics, but that's just me). If not, it looks like this movie has enough legs for a sequel.

If you don't want to depend on this Bounding Into Comics review, you don't have to, but it seems fairly complete and comprehensive
and gives the movie an 8.5. Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 93 and calls it "joyous wish fulfillment" (which is what comic books are supposed to be
about, to a large extent), while Metacritics hauls in a 74.

Release date: April 5, 2019. Get hyped!!

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/03/ ... ou-see-it/
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

My God...I think Shazam could make me go straight!! just kidding lol...BUT ..remember ...Shazam IS a fully grown man!!
shevek
Producer
Producer

He is, but with a teenager's mind. So a little weird in that respect, but that's what wish-fulfillment is all about.

Meanwhile, while we wait for the premiere, it should be highly noted..I saw just this announcement on Youtube:

The 1970s Shazam TV series is available for streaming on the DC Universe service!

Here's the million-dollar question: will they also make the Isis series available as well? Remember..ISIS..the superheroine they refused to name on Legends of Tomorrow because it would evoke the terrorist group, so they called her "Zari" instead? Come on, Shazam/Isis Hour!

There's also a cartoon from 1981. Time to immerse yourselves in the mythos!

lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Ditching Snyder, sidelining fatigued brands and applying the Marvel formula of having actual fun seems to be just the medicne that the DCEU needed.

A martian man hunter film could potentially go GOTG
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

Isis contributed mightily to my fascination with short skirts, especially free-flowing/pleated skirts that might fly up at any moment.
But more than Shazam or Isis, Ark II (another Saturday show from the same period) had my attention with its futuristic RV and awesome jet pack.

Still the coolest RV I've ever seen -- yes, cooler than Damnation Alley, despite the latter's trick wheel bogies.

In hindsight, Ark II seems like what a post-apocalyptic Bruce Wayne would have done.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Skirts were an appeal of course, but Isis' main feature was that she was extremely beautiful and graceful while also displaying great power..not unlike the original She-Ra.

Ark II and Damnation Alley were both amazing. Damnation Alley was kind of like a proto-Judge Dredd in some of its concepts.
Someone should do a big budget remake of it, Mad Max Fury Road style. And while we're at it, Logan's Run of course. George Lucas' THX-1138 too, which was the plot of Logan's Run set in the world of Orwell. 70s were full of gems...I watched Man from Atlantis and Lucan as well.

Lionbadger - I don't see a Martian Manhunter film anytime soon - it would just go over the same history we've already seen in Supergirl anyway. The next DCEU film is The Flash, and along with that Birds of Prey and Wonder Woman II. After that I think if things remain successful, they'll probably remake Green Lantern because it's a great opportunity for universe-building, but another thing I'd really love to see is a Green Arrow/Black Canary adventure, which could be done fairly low-budget (almost no CGI).

Snyder's darkness (like having Batman kill 21 people) was disloyal to the DC brand, true. DC is about powerful godlike paragons of virtue and inspiration, and about having true fun, which was what Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Shazam brought us back to. We've gone over this before, but Marvel isn't exactly about that. It's more about the struggle of humanity - flawed earthly characters who transcend their shortcomings and setbacks to become heroes. Even Marvel's god Thor is flawed as a handicapped doctor.

I won't derail the thread, though. This is about Shazam and anything related to him. Let's keep talking Shazam until the movie comes out next weekend - any cool Easter Egg tidbits that people notice, for example.
Last edited by shevek 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I knew he looked familiar but I am just now realizing that the guy who plays Shazam is the same guy from Chuck. :-P
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

shevek wrote:
5 years ago
Lionbadger - I don't see a Martian Manhunter film anytime soon - it would just go over the same history we've already seen in Supergirl anyway. The next DCEU film is The Flash, and along with that Birds of Prey and Wonder Woman II.
No, I don't imminently see one but could see it being used as a sci fi direct/leap into space.

I thought the Flash movie wax dragged in for overhaul post aquaman (and attached actor not happy about dialling down the soul crushing misery, for which there is an audience but it's a small one and not the family fun of the Marvel machine that DC / WB now want).
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Imagineer wrote:
5 years ago
Isis contributed mightily to my fascination with short skirts, especially free-flowing/pleated skirts that might fly up at any moment.
But more than Shazam or Isis, Ark II (another Saturday show from the same period) had my attention with its futuristic RV and awesome jet pack.

Still the coolest RV I've ever seen -- yes, cooler than Damnation Alley, despite the latter's trick wheel bogies.

In hindsight, Ark II seems like what a post-apocalyptic Bruce Wayne would have done.
I remember Ark II. I can't tell you how many times I tried to build Ark II out of 1970s Lego bricks. I was never really satisfied with the results. This was before Lego minifigures came out, so you had to use your imagination.

Somewhere there is a web page that talks about building the custom vehicles for the show. Apparently the Ark was a custom fiberglass body on a truck frame. The smaller car was a version of the Brubaker Box, a cool van-like thing built off a VW Van chassis.

http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/ark2/vehicles.html

I wonder if Isis was a direct inspiration for Sailor Moon?
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Saw the movie yesterday. It was a fun, family film. I had a very pleasant surprise during the final fight scene and it does make me look forward to a sequel! :)
Check out my superheroine-related short stories here:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/brdiy/works
shevek
Producer
Producer

Great action movie with lots of heart. Had an 80s vibe with nods to Spielberg's childlike wonder, high school comedies (Fast Times at Fawcett High?), the Rocky saga, etc.

Zachary Levi is wide-eyed joyousness in his role, and the ladies are going to love his skintight costume.

brdiy, was your pleasant surprise
Spoiler
MARY MARVEL IN TENTACLE PERIL?
Because that happened just long enough for a screen capture, methinks.

For the brief time you see them, Michelle Borth (who was noted in one of her cable TV films for being "the nakedest woman ever on TV") and Meagan
Good (known for being a fairly "sexy Christian") look great in their costumes.

Both critics and audiences are loving it on Rotten Tomatoes. 100% politics-free. I think it's going to be a smashing success and cross your fingers
that it spawns a sequel so we get to see plenty of Mary (hope she turns evil like in the New 52 comics!) and hopefully Black Adam and Isis.
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

shevek wrote:
5 years ago

Spoiler
Well that too! :D
Spoiler
But the fact alone that she made an appearance was pleasantly surprising for me. I hope she has a bigger role in the sequel/s

batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
5 years ago
Great action movie with lots of heart. Had an 80s vibe with nods to Spielberg's childlike wonder, high school comedies (Fast Times at Fawcett High?), the Rocky saga, etc.

Zachary Levi is wide-eyed joyousness in his role, and the ladies are going to love his skintight costume.

Spoiler
Because that happened just long enough for a screen capture, methinks.

For the brief time you see them, Michelle Borth (who was noted in one of her cable TV films for being "the nakedest woman ever on TV") and Meagan
Good (known for being a fairly "sexy Christian") look great in their costumes.

Both critics and audiences are loving it on Rotten Tomatoes. 100% politics-free. I think it's going to be a smashing success and cross your fingers
that it spawns a sequel so we get to see plenty of Mary (hope she turns evil like in the New 52 comics!) and hopefully Black Adam and Isis.
GOD he is HOT!!!! Loved this movie and everything about it
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

$53 million opening weekend, nothing to sneeze at. Plus word of mouth has been very positive.

With a budget of "only" $100 million, chances are pretty good that it will earn its money back before Avengers:Endgame comes out.

I guess the Big Red Cheese gets to be in Justice League 2?
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

And apparently they have already greenlit a sequel, from the same screenwriter:

https://www.thewrap.com/henry-gayden-shazam-sequel/
shevek
Producer
Producer

It already made its money back and is standing at $160 million in less than a week from release.
Almost universal love for this flick, including on the Youtube.

Since the movie has so far followed the New 52 script, speculation is on that The Rock will be the main villain in the second movie, playing Black Adam.
Even though Sivana pretty much had to acquire Black Adam-level powers in the first one just to compete on a supervillain level.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Question not about the movie

But I always felt Shazam needs to be a stand alone character ,he always seems to stick out like a sore thumb when he is paired with other DC characters

Thoughts
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Hopefully this puts the final nail in the miserable hopeless Snyderverse

A happier more hopeful DCEU could be great
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
5 years ago
Question not about the movie

But I always felt Shazam needs to be a stand alone character ,he always seems to stick out like a sore thumb when he is paired with other DC characters

Thoughts
That may be because he was originally a Fawcett character, not a DC character. He didn't become part of DC Comics until 1972.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

lionbadger wrote:
5 years ago
Hopefully this puts the final nail in the miserable hopeless Snyderverse

A happier more hopeful DCEU could be great
I'm hoping that when they finally get around to making it, Justice League 2 will be everything the first movie should have been. Preferably with one of the DC supervillain groups as the bad guys. There are actually a bunch of those: The Legion of Doom, the Injustice League, the Secret Society of Supervillains, or the alternate-dimension Crime Syndicate.

Save Darkseid for when you need to top the previous movie.

Plus, using a supervillain group will help set the movie apart from Marvel's "Cosmic Threat" paradigm.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Agree, if you want to build a franchise with momentum you beat up smaller villains first and save the lovecraftian nightmare OCP for 5/10 years in.
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Seeing how the Shazam movie ended and the mid-credit scene, I think I would like to see a Shazam Family vs The Monster Society of Evil first.

Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dr. Sivana is the main villain from the comics and with Black Adam has the best recognition from the comics.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I loved the tentical fight with Mary...given how many tenticles and how wet and slimy it was...in my mind....some when up that sweet little skirt and maybe found its target....I mean...I hope it did!!
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

^If I'm not mistaken, that tentacled creature represented "Lust" among the 7 deadly sins.
Last edited by brdiy 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

brdiy wrote:
5 years ago
^If I'm not mistaken, that tenatacled creature represented "Lust" among the 7 deadly sins.
yep...and I bet Mary felt every inch of it!! hot burning lust!!
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Nothing to see here but some stills from a bootleg copy... :smart:
Spoiler

Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Well, Shazam has officially made its money back in domestic cinema alone. Good news.

The question is, will it get shut down by Avengers Endgame or will it catch a ride on the wave of superhero enthusiasm?