Flash Season Seven

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
shevek
Producer
Producer

It has begun. I think we already noticed this in previous season (for example the "Girls Night Out" episode) but the Flash is basically
becoming a vehicle for powerful women to do their stuff. I think the idea for the showrunners has been to equal or outdo the female power aspects of other CW shows especially Supergirl, to the extent that they've done quite a bit of gender-flipping of characters.

There are two sides to this trend. One side is kind of the "dark feminism" approach where they are giving the women the biggest "smart supervillain" roles, while at the same time, occasionally virtue signaling to the progressive crowd. Several examples of that include:
1) Setting up Eva McCulloch as the distaff Mirror Master (and thankfully, calling her Mirror Mistress) and the Big Bad for at least the first half of Season 7. She is shown as extremely intelligent, a genius inventor and constantly scheming, plus having a powered female for a henchman - hence, she is the Flash show's version of Lena Luthor.
2) Suddenly knowing that The Top is not the blonde ditz you thought she was..I won't say more because it would be a spoiler, but Episode 1 will reveal more about Rosa Dillon (a distaff version of Roscoe Dillon) than you ever knew.
3) Cecile giving her Black History month speech about the pioneers in her family tree (while literally using the term "social justice").

But the other side is what's really going to interest folks on this forum..and that's the tendency for the show (especially during the first couple episodes) to depict lots of female characters in peril, while making them all very beautiful. I don't know much about the background of writers Butler and Garza (they wrote a bunch of stuff for Nickelodeon) but there is also a female director on board for Episode 2, so everyone was apparently involved in this peril bonanza. Photos follow!

Episodes 1 and 2

Evil Eva. The lovely Israeli actress Efrat Dor.
evil eva.png
evil eva.png (768.31 KiB) Viewed 4014 times
Good Iris.
good iris.png
good iris.png (581.42 KiB) Viewed 4014 times
Evil Iris in that great dress.
evil iris.png
evil iris.png (809.79 KiB) Viewed 4014 times
Allegra (Ultraviolet). She needs a costume. That's really my biggest complaint: don't just give her Nash's hand-me-downs and make her the "distaff Wells". Put her in a tight spandex costume that matches her 'hot' power set.
allegra needs a costume.png
allegra needs a costume.png (718.42 KiB) Viewed 4014 times
Great design on the Mirror Mistress costume. Not sure why many of these costumes have to include long 'waistcoat' tails
on both sides of the legs. It's like they're afraid to show the shapeliness of the body silhouette (more of that dark feminism).
But otherwise than that it's powerful, shiny and quite fetching.
more mirror mistress.png
more mirror mistress.png (743.33 KiB) Viewed 4014 times
mirror mistress full costume.png
mirror mistress full costume.png (733.45 KiB) Viewed 4014 times
Last edited by shevek 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
shevek
Producer
Producer

More lovely costumes. Again very much with the full body coverage. It is what it is.

Mirror Mistress in Episode 2.
mirror mistress episode 2 full costume 2.png
mirror mistress episode 2 full costume 2.png (818.97 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
mirror mistress episode 2 full costume.png
mirror mistress episode 2 full costume.png (631.53 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
Frost in costume, and battling Mirror Mistress. Excellent female superpower fight!
frost full costume another scene.png
frost full costume another scene.png (827.73 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
frost full costume.png
frost full costume.png (806.92 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
frost vs mirror battle.png
frost vs mirror battle.png (808.62 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
Eva's henchwoman Sunshine (Rawlins).
sunshine rawlins.png
sunshine rawlins.png (777.05 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
shevek
Producer
Producer

So, that's the power. And now on to the peril. There are more women knocked out and in peril in Episode 2 than in any episode
of Batwoman or Supergirl that ever was. I did the screen captures but if you can find a way to do them without the 'play button' please be my guest.

Here are Frost's peril and knockout shots. Plus one where she injects herself. Apparently anyone can get speed powers now
with just a syringe. Beautiful work by the camerapeople!
frost in peril 2.png
frost in peril 2.png (738.44 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
frost peril 3.png
frost peril 3.png (619.14 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
frost peril 4.png
frost peril 4.png (668.16 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
frost injects herself with velocity x.png
frost injects herself with velocity x.png (829.82 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
frost knocked out 2.png
frost knocked out 2.png (873.02 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
frost knocked out.png
frost knocked out.png (954.35 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
shevek
Producer
Producer

Some peril and knockout shots for Iris too. They really went all out - the camera lingered on her again and again. So gorgeous!
iris full body knockout peril 2.png
iris full body knockout peril 2.png (885.04 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
iris full body knockout peril.png
iris full body knockout peril.png (752.31 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
iris knocked out front.png
iris knocked out front.png (738.14 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
iris knocked out side.png
iris knocked out side.png (559.83 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
iris more side peril closeup.png
iris more side peril closeup.png (595.71 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
iris peril front.png
iris peril front.png (575.25 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
shevek
Producer
Producer

More Iris peril in her hot boots, and The Top looking first deceptively ditzy, then evil and menacing. Also a closeup on the Velocity X syringe.

Really enjoyed these female 'power and peril' elements of the first two episodes! Could not care less about what happens to Wells.
He will never really die, anyway. They're not going to get rid of Tom Cavanagh.
iris boots.png
iris boots.png (663.99 KiB) Viewed 4009 times
iris peril side.png
iris peril side.png (945.38 KiB) Viewed 4009 times
the top 2.png
the top 2.png (795.82 KiB) Viewed 4009 times
the top.png
the top.png (700.02 KiB) Viewed 4009 times
velocity x syringe.png
velocity x syringe.png (662.13 KiB) Viewed 4009 times
shevek
Producer
Producer

Oh, and I forgot to mention a very cool female character Easter Egg - at the beginning of the episode, Chunk is seen reading a book
by physicist Dr. Meena Dhawan. In the comics, she becomes the Negative Flash - here's an image of her. She even becomes Barry Allen's girlfriend for a while in the comics.

It would certainly be very exciting to see a beautiful Indian-American superheroine/villainess onscreen in a tight costume, as I don't think it's ever been done outside of India. (Other than by Heroineburgh - we've got two!) Maybe they are hinting at that. And Maskripper, you could finally get another masked woman in this series!
Meena_Dhawan_Prime_Earth_0004.jpg
Meena_Dhawan_Prime_Earth_0004.jpg (237.99 KiB) Viewed 3972 times
The_Flash_Vol_5_34_Textless.jpg
The_Flash_Vol_5_34_Textless.jpg (16.85 KiB) Viewed 3972 times
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I watched episode 2 today.
Yeah, I too enjoyed the peril elements....even I do prefer different types of peril.
My problem right now is that all the sci-fi-fantasy stuff is getting out of control.
The whole mirrorverse thing, the artificial speedforce thing plus all the abilities involved, the guns with all sorts of powers..... it's getting a little bit too much for me.
And Allegra could use a new wardrobe. Always in jeans.....in every single episode. Plus she even is wearing a jacket indoors throughout the episode!?
Is there no heating at all at Star Labs? :giggle:
She is really a beautiful woman, but her clothes don't emphasize that one bit.

Will be interesting to see where this all leads.
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
shevek
Producer
Producer

Well, if you were hoping for Mirror Master/Mistress to be the Big Bad of the whole season, your hopes are dashed because
Spoiler
they wrapped up the conflict against Eva McCulloch pretty quickly Episode 3
And although there were some battles with "pew pew pew" there was no peril.
So in Episode 3 you'll have to be satisfied just with the beauty of the female character and how they look in their costumes.
And Maskripper is right - Allegra is wearing too much and she looks boring - she needs an Ultraviolet suit, but unfortunately I doubt
they'll give her one.

Here are some heroine and villainess screen grabs from Episode 3.

First we've got the Mirror Master (as she's called in the IMDB credits), the Mirror Mistress (as others are referring to her in articles)
or the Mirror Monarch (as she calls herself in the episode). Either way, Efrat Dor does a good job of being evil (she's essentially an
out-of-control authoritarian social justice warrior who wants to use her technology to create a utopia, much like the Injustice Society in Stargirl or Lena Luthor in Supergirl, if you see a pattern in the CW writing!). She does give a couple very nice supervillainess speeches in the episode, though: a long one to Barry, and a shorter one to Iris.

It's a great costume and she wears it well.
mirror mistress becomes mirror monarch episode 3.png
mirror mistress becomes mirror monarch episode 3.png (606 KiB) Viewed 3893 times
mirror mistress episode 3 about to battle.png
mirror mistress episode 3 about to battle.png (750.78 KiB) Viewed 3893 times
mirror mistress episode 3 costume.png
mirror mistress episode 3 costume.png (927.08 KiB) Viewed 3893 times
mirror mistress episode 3 looking evil.jpg
mirror mistress episode 3 looking evil.jpg (140.37 KiB) Viewed 3893 times
mirror mistress episode 3 speech to iris.jpg
mirror mistress episode 3 speech to iris.jpg (185.82 KiB) Viewed 3893 times
shevek
Producer
Producer

Next we've got something exciting going on with Caitlin's appearance: early in the episode we see her tight leggings and her bare arms, without the jacket/dress ensemble she usually wears into battle. It's a nice change, helping to show how great Danielle looks in that costume even without her white hair and blue lipstick. So great!
caitin in front suit midrange.jpg
caitin in front suit midrange.jpg (101.45 KiB) Viewed 3891 times
caitlin in frost suit front.jpg
caitlin in frost suit front.jpg (139.36 KiB) Viewed 3891 times
caitlin in frost suit side.jpg
caitlin in frost suit side.jpg (144.37 KiB) Viewed 3891 times
Then later on when fighting Mirror Mistress, Frost is back in regular battle mode. No peril, just power.
frost episode 3 closeup.jpg
frost episode 3 closeup.jpg (144.74 KiB) Viewed 3891 times
frost episode ready for battle.jpg
frost episode ready for battle.jpg (132.34 KiB) Viewed 3891 times
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

This episode should have been titled, "Hello, I Must Be Going," just because of all the characters that left and three were brought back just to give them farewell speeches before their exits. Lots of running around in the dark and when they were trying to eliminate light to avoid giving the Mirror Foes an attack they had to leave enough to vaguely see the sets and not trip over the furniture.

Now they reached what would have been the end of season 6, maybe they can do a better job for the rest. Although the promo showed the villain announcing for his next trick he would make the city disappear, maybe a better one would be to make the writers disappear and be replaced with better ones.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Finally also in Episode 3, there's everyone else.

Iris plays a major role, really saving the day for everyone as you will see.
She even acquires some powers for a bit which allows her to fight alongside the team.
I am of the opinion that Candice Patton is THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN in the CW superhero shows.
Your mileage may vary but that is just my opinion. She always looks so flawless and very toned. She is a "10"!
She would be really great if she slipped once again into a tight heroine costume.
iris holding the sphere.jpg
iris holding the sphere.jpg (131.18 KiB) Viewed 3887 times
iris holds the sphere.png
iris holds the sphere.png (662.13 KiB) Viewed 3887 times
Allegra looking boring. Still not really sure why she's there other than to be the token Latina. Unless she really takes up the mantle of Wells.
episode 3 allegra needs a suit.jpg
episode 3 allegra needs a suit.jpg (151.68 KiB) Viewed 3887 times
Danielle Nicolet is quite attractive as Cecile. Here you can see clearly how good she would also look if wearing
a costume while using her psychic / empathic powers. She seems to have them more and more under control, and
she has amazing facial expressions. This is a shot of when she was briefly evil as "Mirror Cecile".
episode 3 cecile evil.jpg
episode 3 cecile evil.jpg (143.33 KiB) Viewed 3887 times
Then finally there is Sue Dearbon. She is supposed to be the Sue Dibny from the comic but her story has really been cut loose,
partially because of the Hartley Sawyer controversy from last year.

In this episode, "Elongated Man" comes back briefly but we never see his face or hear his real voice (it's digitally altered).
So obviously it's someone else other than Sawyer, but THEY DON'T SAY WHO. In fact, they don't credit the new Ralph Dibny
actor anywhere, not at the end of the show and not on IMDB. I think that's kind of cowardly - if you're going to 'cancel' and replace Sawyer, which is really what happened, why won't you announce who is replacing him?
Here's an article from last year about what the future plans for Sue and Ralph might look like:
https://ew.com/tv/the-flash-season-7-el ... e-dearbon/

In any case, Sue and Ralph only appear in this episode briefly to tie up loose ends.
And it's obvious that they wanted to get one final use out of Sue's incredibly tight 'cat burglar' catsuit costume,
but it's a waste of film because they never really give the viewer a chance to see it!
This is the best shot I could get. Plus, her face is all marred up, so it's not that appealing.
Ah well. On to a new Big Bad with Episode 4!
episode 3 sue dearbon huge waste of catsuit.jpg
episode 3 sue dearbon huge waste of catsuit.jpg (116.37 KiB) Viewed 3887 times
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

As we discussed how the Arrowverse shows aren't connecting with each other in other topics.....
....this preview picture popped up with the new promo trailer for next weeks Flash episode:

-
:hmmm:
Could be just a little hint/gag that they have a Crows truck in the Flash episode.
But perhaps there is more to it? Some months ago I read rumors that
Spoiler
Batwoman visited the Flash set.
To my knowledge, they weren't confirmed....but well, perhaps there is more to the story :hmmm:
If the rumors aren't true it's at least a truck from Gotham in Central City. ;)

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
shevek
Producer
Producer

Wow, that trailer for Episode 5 is NOT good, Crows truck or not.

What, is Team Flash attacked by some kind of Freddy Krueger ripoff?
Seems very questionable, like a low-budget horror tribute.
I mean, the power to induce fear is no laughing matter (we have a fear-inducing villainess in our series - Pagliaccia)
but this dude with the red face is definitely no Scarecrow.

This compounds the problem of Season 7, which is really starting to seem like a jumble of half-formed ideas.
First of all, they tack on what were supposed to be the last 3 episodes of the previous season (the Mirror Monarch arc) on to
become the first 3 episodes of Season 7.

Then, there is this travesty of an Episode 4 that I just watched:
Spoiler
Abra Kadabra comes out of nowhere and has a poorly constructed motive to randomly destroy the whole city. And then Flash stops him with no fighting action, just a good low-t talking-to about their feelings? And then on top of that, some kind of poorly CGI'd Hulk monster comes out of nowhere (it never even gets a name) and kills Abra Kadabra aka Felipe, making his appearance totally useless and just a time-filler. But no, we're not done yet: next, Caitlin and Killer Frost split into two people! That never happened with Killer Frost in any comic, and it really just seems that the writers are running out of ideas. Chester and Allegra still really don't get to do much of anything other than bouncing dialogue off their mentors. Nothing for Joe and Cecile to do, either.
Skip Episode 4 entirely...and I have a feeling you just might want to skip Episode 5, too (but I will watch it just to let you know whether to bother or not). If they are really going with a final Season 8. there'd better be a lot more meat and potatoes to
these remaining stories.
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

^True. I never bothered to finish episode 4, as I found myself cringing and rolling my eyes the few minutes I managed to see it. Yup, this show is running out of ideas, and they're probably better off wrapping up this show soon.
Check out my superheroine-related short stories here:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/brdiy/works
shevek
Producer
Producer

brdiy wrote:
3 years ago
^True. I never bothered to finish episode 4, as I found myself cringing and rolling my eyes the few minutes I managed to see it. Yup, this show is running out of ideas, and they're probably better off wrapping up this show soon.
It gets worse. First of all, the idea of Caitlin and Frost splitting into two people is stupid. It never happened in the comics and it shouldn't happen.

And also, for the next few episodes, they are using a plot from some very new Flash content: a story published in 2019 in Vol 5 Flash Rebirth, involving the introduction of three new "forces" to the universe. Besides the Speed Force (represented in the Flash TV show by the avatar of Barry's dead mother Nora), there is also going to be the Strength Force, the Sage Force, and the Still Force (apparently the universe is very much into alliteration). In the comics, these are represented by the characters Fuerza (who is actually kind of a badass Latin American heroine), Psych (a flashy European villain with a cool mind-control helmet) and Steadfast (who looks like the Spectre but wearing pants), and the story is okay.

Unfortunately, in the Flash series, "Fuerza" is a terrible looking CGI monster which totally LOOKS MALE but then in Episode 5 is referred to clearly as female, and then Cisco cracks a joke about the "She-Hulk" name already being taken. Sorry, folks, but I don't think these writers are making fun of the recent hyper-masculinizing of Jennifer Walters. I think they are actually *celebrating* it. What do you think?

And instead of the cool Euro-villain, the Flash series turns "Psych" into a two-bit Freddy Krueger with a Jem Hadar face mask, and no clear motive at all for his villainous action. He just comes and goes, conveniently defeated by the growing power of one of the female characters (Cecile) channeling her psychic power through the Thinker's chair, which just happens to be still intact and in storage at STAR Labs because apparently nobody ever thinks of dismantling deadly evil weapons.

Episode 5 is ridiculous, filled with stale horror-movie tropes. They even make several 'pop-culture references' to the weepy woke-fest TV show "This Is Us". I mean, it's one thing if Cisco talks about Star Wars or Spider-Man since they are evergreens, but in a few years, who the hell is going to care about "This Is Us"? It really dates the script.

If they continue with this plot, I'm sure you'll also see some half-assed adaptation of Steadfast in Episode 6. Right now I'm watching these so you don't have to. Save your time.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I think its safe to say they are phoning this show in. These actors have got to get off this show before they are permanently labelled the "Flash guy" or "that frost chic".
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Saw the latest episode. Well, I think it's ok, at least better than the whole Mirrorverse thing.
Sadly the Crows truck was just a nice easter egg (sort of).
The promo for the next one.....oh my....
Spoiler
seems like a Legends goof spin-off.
Time travel back to the 90's? :yawn:

Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Episode 6

A Flash episode without Flash, action, peril, sexiness or interesting story.
Instead, it has Legends of Tomorrow goofiness and
Spoiler
time-traveling shenanigans.
Some 90's references were nice, but that was maybe the only positive aspect. .
I guess this may be my least favorite episode of the whole show.
Even the musical episode was better, at least Supergirl/Kara was in that one.

shevek
Producer
Producer

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago
Episode 6
A Flash episode without Flash, action, peril, sexiness or interesting story.
Instead, it has Legends of Tomorrow goofiness
I guess this may be my least favorite episode of the whole show.
Even the musical episode was better, at least Supergirl/Kara was in that one.
We agree. Possibly the worst episode of the entire seven-season series. The goofiness is not even at the Legends level.
And I also called it as far as the terrible incarnation of Steadfast aka the Still Force (a dumb resentful jock named Deon).

What you didn't mention is that in the total absence of Grant Gustin, they shoehorned in as much 'representation' as possible,
even slipping in a 'black power' salute shared between Joe and Iris, and lots of cliched dialogue ('you trippin', 'time to bounce', etc.).
Also, this version of Chunk directly contradicts the comics - the very first line of Chunk's fictional character biography on Wikipedia is "Maverick physicist and engineer Chester P. Runk has no living relatives."

Next episode isn't going to get any better, because this totally irrelevant government agent "Kristin Kramer" (who also exists nowhere in the comics) is going to be a huge time-waster of a plot battling Frost. Not looking forward to it. They have no idea
what to do with the Frost character especially when she isn't evil and dangerous.

Skip Episode 6.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

They had an idea on using nice Frost's powers early in the previous season, but she has gotten less appearances where she uses her unique powers and more of just imitating others with the Velocity 9 Frost in Barry's simulation. Frost used to be a cool character and even the bits where her personalities were leaving notes for each other in order to talk were fun. But now she doesn't even get to be the Caitlin Snow doctor to the team.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

So this episode had a Frost centered plot and her getting two decent fight scenes using her powers. The rest looked like it was written by an AI program using past episodes to extrapolate that needs work.
Last edited by Visitor 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I lost faith with it once the daughter arrived. You daren'r go thru time as the slightest change can affect the time lines and them you tolerate your own daughter living with you and helping you tackle crimes before she was even born, it was just crap.
I've seen the episodes up to season 5 and will watch the rest but it's got worse and worse imo.
This sounds a particularly bad season
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
crouchingtiger1950
Neophyte Lvl 3
Neophyte Lvl 3

Flash went from very good in season 1 to horrible in season 7.

The Wells characters added some interesting depth and humor to the show. They should have found a way to keep Wells and still bring back the speed force.

One thing that would help the show is to find a way of bringing Felicity as part of Team Flash and keeping her humorous persona in doing this.
shevek
Producer
Producer

In Episode 7, the "Crouching Tiger" stop-and-start motion fight scenes with Frost using her powers were the only worthwhile parts of the episode. The premise of her being hunted down is just a filler, as was the villain-of-the-week she was fighting, Chillblaine (there were four Chillblaines in the comics who were all briefly boyfriends of Golden Glider, and *none* of them was a spurned scientist).
At least finally Allegra did something with her powers (melting the ice mask off Frost's face) but she still has no costume and no real purpose in being on that show other than to fill a diversity slot.

What they're working up to is a confrontation between Team Flash (including Nora/SpeedForce as guest member) and the other three forces..which means we're going to see all of those terrible characters show up yet again, including that CGI'd "Fuerza" which is that She-Hulkish woman who looks like a man (to quote Ms. Swan). Not looking forward to it.
crouchingtiger1950
Neophyte Lvl 3
Neophyte Lvl 3

In episode 12 Killer Frost is texting Sisco goodbye from Iron Heights, but she was out of prison in episode 11. What happened?
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

crouchingtiger1950 wrote:
2 years ago
In episode 12 Killer Frost is texting Sisco goodbye from Iron Heights, but she was out of prison in episode 11. What happened?
Frost got a pardon for capturing 12 meta human criminals that escaped from Iron Heights during a storm that broke a wall.
crouchingtiger1950
Neophyte Lvl 3
Neophyte Lvl 3

Hello Visitor,
so her text to Sisco, she was not at Iron Heights but elsewhere in the city?
shevek
Producer
Producer

In an otherwise mostly boring and useless season of The Flash, you can count on Episode 14, "Rayo De Luz", for a bit of what
this forum looks for.

Female assassin Ultraviolet (the cousin of the mostly boring and useless Allegra) returns, looking for the evil doctor who transformed
her into a villainous monster...and along the way we get a short fight between Ultraviolet and Sue Dibny with both looking gorgeous in their tight black costumes. Also, Maskripper gets to see a masked villainess again.
ultraviolet in confinement.jpg
ultraviolet in confinement.jpg (146.52 KiB) Viewed 2962 times
sue dibny.jpg
sue dibny.jpg (142.7 KiB) Viewed 2962 times
ultraviolet vs sue dibny.jpg
ultraviolet vs sue dibny.jpg (134.99 KiB) Viewed 2962 times
ultra vs sue 2.jpg
ultra vs sue 2.jpg (99.03 KiB) Viewed 2962 times
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Haven't seen the new episode so far, but I will do that in the next few days.
Yes, that episode 14 was quite a highlight! There are quite a lot of scenes with Ultraviolet and Sue looks incredible in that skin-tight sexy suit of hers! :w00t:
Sue was also in episode 13 and breaking into a well-secured room. I cursed quite a lot at my TV as she was breaking in there without a mask, which is completely crazy.
What about guards and security cameras? She was wearing complete face masks (impersonating other people) on other occasions.
But here, I guess the producers went with the "Oh, let's not hide that pretty face of hers-scheme" :rolleyes: ....even a cat burglar/thief like her should always wear some sort of mask on the job.
Back to episode 14: I will make a post on that one on the blog....the "good" problem is to choose a scene or two....as there were quite a lot :hmmm: :)

shevek
Producer
Producer

Nothing much going on in Episode 15, unfortunately, unless your thing is watching 12 different Godspeeds fighting each other
(leaving me to wonder how many costumes they actually created, and how much of it was CGI duplication). Other than some
very nice beautiful closeups of Panabaker as Frost (but never in actual costume) that's it.

However I did notice a little detail that shows how much the CW stumbles all over itself to be as virtue-signaling as possible.
The police chief Kristin Kramer indicates that both herself and her nemesis Adam Creyke are members of "Wet'suwet'en First Nations" which is Canada's fancy word for what we'd call Native Canadians. Their tribal area is in Central British Columbia. But they are members of the US Armed Forces! (in Intelligence, and Special Forces).

The problem is, although the show itself is shot in Vancouver, not too far away from the Wet'suwet'en tribal lands...the setting of the show is supposed to be in Central City, Missouri. There are plenty of native tribes there (Shawnee, Osage, Sac & Fox, Chickasaw, and several others) the pair could have belonged to. I wish the CW had the equivalent of a "No Prize" because this is that kind of error...and you know full well they did this to gain woke points (the actress who plays Kramer - Carmen Moore - is being actively praised as a Native celebrity in Canada).

Moore is actually registered with the Hagwilget Village clan of the Wet'suwet'en Nation, so you can see they tried to go for a stunning level of intersectional matchup ( even more so than Legends of Tomorrow suddenly making the Egyptian Isis into Persian Zari to fit their actress' background there), and they still failed miserably because this ideology does not understand context.

It happens a lot with this type of writing!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

However I did notice a little detail that shows how much the CW stumbles all over itself to be as virtue-signaling as possible.
I keep wondering who they are making this stuff for or are they on so much safe automatic mode that they don't know what else to do or they are so inundated with one track minded writers that again, they don't know what else to do. I don't think any of this brought in any new viewers given the numbers. Maybe they were hoping for the Vampire diaries/Supernatural crowd but I know Supernatural is not about diversity in as much as two very straight hetero men.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Mr. X wrote:
2 years ago

I keep wondering who they are making this stuff for or are they on so much safe automatic mode that they don't know what else to do or they are so inundated with one track minded writers that again, they don't know what else to do. I don't think any of this brought in any new viewers given the numbers. Maybe they were hoping for the Vampire diaries/Supernatural crowd but I know Supernatural is not about diversity in as much as two very straight hetero men.
You're right - they really don't know what else to do with this show - it's just running on autopilot. Maybe they are trying to attract a phantom female audience (like Marvel Comics has been trying to do for several years) but you're right - Supernatural has chiseled-jawed hunks [which we will testify to in September: there's a big Supernatural Con here in Pittsburgh that we'll be tabling at, called Momento Fest..and sure to be packed with hordes of female fans] and The Flash never had any: Gustin is a soyboy, and John Wesley Shipp (while a very nice person, which we can attest!) is your grandpa. At this point, the viewership has dropped down to levels where they can barely get a half million people to watch this thing.

I think the writers (and casting) are thinking on several tracks. One track is: cast and write for as many female characters as possible, in a show titled for a male character. While that is admirable from a progressive standpoint, there are so many women standing around talking while not being given much to do, and at this point *every single one of them has powers* and *many of them have costumes*. The lineup is overcrowded and overpowered, with little purpose other than to tick boxes.

I'm referring to the Flash Season 7 finale EP 18 "Heart of the Matter Pt 2". There was no tension here, no urgency or danger. Sure, you can see both Candice Patton and Jessica Kennedy looking beautiful in their Flash costumes (I'm irked that with all of Cisco's vast powers of naming characters, he never came up with one for Iris. Here's my suggestion: "PRESTO". Barely been used anywhere in comics. You're welcome!) But they don't do anything here, and neither does Frost, who is also in full costume. The three of them barely fight, and they're never remotely in peril. Allegra kind of saves the day but they still don't bother to give her a costume for doing it. Why can't they spend a few dollars and put Kayla Compton in some nice spandex? Boring and not very adventurous or superheroic.

Track two that the writers' minds are on is diversity: here we've got The Flash's second ethnic Indian villain - Godspeed/August Heart played by Punjabi boy-band singer/actor Karan Oberoi (the first was Sendhil Ramamurthy who played Bloodwork). And while that is fine, it played havoc with the comics canon, as Godspeed in the comics is supposed to be vaguely Latino and have a brother named *Jorge*. You know any Punjabis with a brother named Jorge? Didn't think so. Here on the show, August Heart's ethnicity isn't specified (why should it be? it has zero importance to the story) and yet Oberoi blurts out several phrases in Punjabi while fighting Barry. The theme in these CW shows seems to be that the actor's ethnicity has to somehow 'take over' the role they are playing - for example, this has been true for quite a while on Legends of Tomorrow with Persian actress Tala Ashe turning 'Isis' into 'Zari'.

And here's where I noticed something I hadn't thought of before: I previously noted that Kristen Kramer on the show was Canadian First Nations (even though somehow she is in the US Armed Forces??). But in the Flash comics, the character of 'Kristin' Kramer
is a redhead. Yes, friends, the 'Ginger Erasure of the Week' marches on.

Anyway, with a 'renewal of vows' ceremony that barely tugs at any heartstrings, and a very ho-hum battle against a half-hearted (pun intended) foe, Flash Season 7 ends with no bangs, just a whimper. And the fact that there's no final scene revealing a future ominous threat for Season 8 (other than yet another Thawne comeback) probably means that they don't even have a Big Bad ready to go yet! What have these people been doing with their time?
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

shevek wrote:
2 years ago
Track two that the writers' minds are on is diversity: here we've got The Flash's second ethnic Indian villain - Godspeed/August Heart played by Punjabi boy-band singer/actor Karan Oberoi (the first was Sendhil Ramamurthy who played Bloodwork). And while that is fine, it played havoc with the comics canon, as Godspeed in the comics is supposed to be vaguely Latino and have a brother named *Jorge*. You know any Punjabis with a brother named Jorge? Didn't think so. Here on the show, August Heart's ethnicity isn't specified (why should it be? it has zero importance to the story) and yet Oberoi blurts out several phrases in Punjabi while fighting Barry. The theme in these CW shows seems to be that the actor's ethnicity has to somehow 'take over' the role they are playing - for example, this has been true for quite a while on Legends of Tomorrow with Persian actress Tala Ashe turning 'Isis' into 'Zari'.
Yet no complaints about an actor of a different ethnic group thing over the role of a minority because it wasn't a white actor.
Last edited by Visitor 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
2 years ago

And here's where I noticed something I hadn't thought of before: I previously noted that Kristen Kramer on the show was Canadian First Nations (even though somehow she is in the US Armed Forces??). But in the Flash comics, the character of 'Kristin' Kramer
is a redhead. Yes, friends, the 'Ginger Erasure of the Week' marches on.

Anyway, with a 'renewal of vows' ceremony that barely tugs at any heartstrings, and a very ho-hum battle against a half-hearted (pun intended) foe, Flash Season 7 ends with no bangs, just a whimper. And the fact that there's no final scene revealing a future ominous threat for Season 8 (other than yet another Thawne comeback) probably means that they don't even have a Big Bad ready to go yet! What have these people been doing with their time?
Yeah season 7 seemed like a Power Rangers episode where the putties all line up to be knocked down.

I'm personally getting tired of the efforts by some to pull people into a race argument by doing these swaps. Its like the college kid at his thanks giving dinner constantly bringing up race topics hoping to expose some hidden racism in the room. These shows constantly do this but I don't see how this helps ratings. Its like someone constantly pushing a button thinking things will change cause that's all they know.

As for replacing red heads, I remember when Battlestar Galactica NG was running they had replaced the two black characters with a white guy and an Asian girl and people crapped all over that. Boomer and Tye were two strong characters in the old show.
Damselbinder

This thread has, so far, been a relatively peaceable discussion about the merits and demerits of this season of television. I am asking you not to let it turn into yet another version of the same conversation that happens on every thread whenever gender or race are brought up.
dragontigerandhorse1985
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Season 7 of Flash seemed to be written and directed by junior high students rather than seasoned professionals.

Also, Barry Allen and his wife seemed to have dialed in their performances, especially with the return of Thawne.

Question, is anyone who post to superheroineforum have some level of relationship with Flash staff.

If there is, request of them to up their game, and bring back the quality and energy of season 1.