Eternals

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Wasn't this the Inhumans? I mean it doesn't look any different.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
2 years ago
Wasn't this the Inhumans? I mean it doesn't look any different.
No the Eternals aren't the Inhumans.

The Inhumans was cancelled a long time ago... no real reason given why, then it was ike... a TV series that was really bad and lasted an episode or two.

The Inhumans were just like, a group of 'genetically engineered' mutants... like designed to mutate vs the X-Men's 'natural mutation'. Designed by the Kree I think? And intended to be a sort of bioweapon... I think the general idea was... they'd seed inhumans into earth, then at some point 'activate' them to destabilize earth in preparation for an invasion..... or something. It must have gone bad though at some point since eventually the Inhumans set up their like... moon kingdom. Still, they're very much basically just Mutants that were designed to mutate.

The Eternals are more like what you'd imagine Greek Gods would have been if you didn't subscribe to the idea of them being 'gods'. Their an alien race of immortal beings who theoretically have been taking a backstage guiding hand in things... but I'm also not really familiar enough with the source material to tell you MUCH else about them. (It doesn't help that even within marvel they're sort of confused as Greek Gods even though they aren't? Like... Athena (The Greek God) actually whups Thena's (The Eternal) ass in one of the Hercules comic books. Regardless... you could say the Eternals are like alien beings easily confused as 'gods' by most primitive societies... but really just immortal super beings in an MCU of knowledgeable human beings amiright? xD
Last edited by Femina 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Perhaps the *EDIT* teaser-trailer is kind of interesting for this topic ;-)

-

Trailer looks....nice....but what about the story of the movie?
Who or what is the evil that they will have to face?
Guess more will be revealed later on.
Last edited by Maskripper 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Maskripper wrote:
2 years ago
I'm going with old age
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The trailer is classified as a 'teaser' so... despite the fact its as long as an ordinary trailer... I expect the lack of any story indicators is part of the 'teaser' tag. More likely this was a 'vibe' trailer. Look at the cinematography/style/characters, etc.

In terms of film making... I wager this is probably one of Marvel's better overall trailers. It's depicting what looks to be in intriguing thought provoking film.............. course like... we've long learned to recognize that trailers are bullshit so... it's still pretty much up in the air... it's at least as promising a teaser trailer as any other.
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

I'm keeping in mind that the first trailer is for people who already know the characters and will be excited just to see the them moving and speaking.

It acknowledges the Huge Question. I'm hopeful this means Marvel knows they need a solid answer.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Nah... I mean for MARVEL films that may be true... but overall I think there's just a bit of a misunderstanding by many people as to what a 'teaser trailer' actually is. I've seen this a lot people 'reacting' to trailers and stuff lately whenever they see a 30 second teaser trailer they'll always just be like 'well it "looks' kind of neat but I wish it had just told me more about the plot?"

But that's not really a Teaser Trailer's purpose. Teaser Trailers USED to essentially just be a trailer stating 'this thing is coming' then perhaps a general idea of the genre of film you're dealing with as well as an actor or two attached to the project to start the engine of the hype train. In the days before enormous internet investigative work, such as before you could essentially watch the entire filming process via bystanders cell phone footage standing roadside on location all over the world, it was very common for films to be shot entirely unknown to the majority of even moderately invested cinephiles, and the teaser trailer would be a theatergoers first indicator that the film had been/was being made FOR SURE. (Ordinarily for instance, you don't sea teaser trailers of films in development hell... It's usually a quick trailer put together only once principle photography has officially begun.)

Marvel 'roadmaps' don't help this confusion. They Further muddle peoples perception of a teaser trailer since just being shown the title card behind Kevin Feige's head at a press event essentially fulfills the same role that the old teaser trailers ordinarily did...

All that said, even at 2 minutes long, if you ever see a trailer marked 'teaser', count it as unusual if you come away from it understanding a whole lot about what the movie is going to actually be about. This one was only unusual in its length (as most teasers are only 30-40 seconds) but pretty much nailed it in the sense that it doesn't reveal much about what we're actually getting into with the film.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

^Ah ok, Marvel labels it as "teaser trailer". Then it's totally fine the way it is. Rather unusual to make a teaser that long...as you said.
Well, then all who upload it should strictly label it as "teaser trailer" (on Youtube and elsewhere), didn't see the Marvel upload until now.
Then I am looking forward to the real trailer ;-)
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
2 years ago
The trailer is classified as a 'teaser' so... despite the fact its as long as an ordinary trailer... I expect the lack of any story indicators is part of the 'teaser' tag. More likely this was a 'vibe' trailer. Look at the cinematography/style/characters, etc.

In terms of film making... I wager this is probably one of Marvel's better overall trailers. It's depicting what looks to be in intriguing thought provoking film.............. course like... we've long learned to recognize that trailers are bullshit so... it's still pretty much up in the air... it's at least as promising a teaser trailer as any other.
Good points. And I think the teaser trailer is effective at showing the apparent quality of the series along with some great visuals. Perhaps it's better not to know the plot and go into the series blind, thus allowing more opportunity to be surprised and perhaps even pleasantly surprised. Seems all-too-often the trailers reveal way too much and take away from the viewing experience.
Ignore any virtue-signaling; it's clearly just you.

Ignore any activism; it clearly doesn't exist.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!
Ignore your common sense!

Everything is entirely normal and ignore the radical changes to culture.
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

I must still be suffering super hero burnout after Endgame, but nothing in the MCU really excites me at all anymore. This looks like it could be interesting and like everyone else meme'ing on the internet I'll also be curious as to why they stood aside the last few hundred years and just watched all the bad things happen on the planet, lol. I also wonder if they will tie MCU Thanos into his eternal roots from the comics.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

RedMountain wrote:
2 years ago
I must still be suffering super hero burnout after Endgame, but nothing in the MCU really excites me at all anymore. This looks like it could be interesting and like everyone else meme'ing on the internet I'll also be curious as to why they stood aside the last few hundred years and just watched all the bad things happen on the planet, lol. I also wonder if they will tie MCU Thanos into his eternal roots from the comics.
What you're experiencing is actually possibly... existence in the Global Covid World Tour. It's kind of dang hard to be excited about ANYTHING when considering that going out to do shit at all is mildly dangerous (Or if one is on the other fence, living in a world that's at least harder to interact with due to the other half being wary of interacting with it.... EDIT: NOT being political here, not making any statements on sides moralities here or anything, just indicating that regardless of ones beliefs, living in Covid times impacts what has been available for us to actually DO), piled atop a long period of essentially doing nothing but absorbing ones self into some specific sector or another, piled even further atop Marvel's big 'break' period accidentally coinciding with the Covid slowdown's in the industry to essentially double or even triple the amount of down time they intended. Break's in series' are always followed by a lapse in interest, as their fans and audience move on to other things. Even Marvel isn't immune to the psychological tendancies of the human brain, though I'd be surprised to find if 'ironically' a lot of people weren't finding themselves LESS burnt out once a lot more Marvel content is filing out than they are right now after not thinking as much about Marvel over the past couple of years.

I'm waiting on the official 'Trailer 1' to make any concrete decisions on my interest in Eternals though... This trailer did its job for me though, I'm mildly intrigued.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

RedMountain wrote:
2 years ago
I think the same thing happened with Westerns. There was a time theaters had like all westerns. Now you rarely if ever see a western. Super hero movies will get boring after a while. Maybe a new genre will take its place.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

These things go in cycles, Westerns in 40is, 50s 60s, War Films and Biblical epics, in 50s and 60s, Historical romps in the 60s and 70s, Sci Fi in 70s and 80s, Horror in the 70s, 80s 90s and so on. In the 60s you had spy films like Bond, Matt Helm, Flint, and serious fare like the Spy Who Came in from the Cold., Ipcress File, etc but they were very much of their time. Now we have had 20 years of SH and largely because there's a huge base of material to choose from we will probably have another 10 years before they drop off to the odd one here or there. As the saying goes, 'this too will pass'
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Philo Hunter
Overlord
Overlord

Femina wrote:
2 years ago
The Inhumans was cancelled a long time ago... no real reason given why, then it was ike... a TV series that was really bad and lasted an episode or two.
It got caught up in the turf battle between the old Marvel TV division and the proper MCU stuff. It was eather Jeff Loeb or Bob Eiger that pushed for Inhumans originally and they one or both of them were a big part of the behind the scenes drama that led to it being pulled from the movie lineup and shunted to TV.
Philo Hunter
Overlord
Overlord

Maskripper wrote:
2 years ago
Guess more will be revealed later on.
There have been a lot of leaks about the plot so I actually know the answer to this and why they haven't been seen in the other movies, but I'll put it behind spoiler tag.
Spoiler
A big part of the plot is that they all have had some kind of amnesia for a long time and don't remember who they are in modern times till the plot starts, so they didn't know they had powers. As for the bad guys, the main baddies will be the Deviants, which are a different kind of genetic alteration dudes like them but evil. And that all plays into Celestials somehow (which if you don't know are big space gods kind of like Galactus)
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

RedMountain wrote:
2 years ago
I think Infinity War/Endgame was Peak Marvel, but I am still interested in some of the things scheduled to come out: The Black Widow movie, GOTGv3, Ant-Man 3, and possibly Thor 4.

Eternals is definitely giving me Inhumans vibes, though I'd be happy to be proved wrong.
Philo Hunter
Overlord
Overlord

Lurkndog wrote:
2 years ago
and possibly Thor 4.
Excited to see how jacked Natalie Portman got for the roll!
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

Lurkndog wrote:
2 years ago
RedMountain wrote:
2 years ago
I think Infinity War/Endgame was Peak Marvel, but I am still interested in some of the things scheduled to come out: The Black Widow movie, GOTGv3, Ant-Man 3, and possibly Thor 4.

Eternals is definitely giving me Inhumans vibes, though I'd be happy to be proved wrong.
That's probably the only one I'm interested at this point as Thor was my favorite character in MCU and I thought he had a good vibe with the Guardians characters so hopefully Thor 4 features a lot of that team up.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Saw a scene with Jolie being tied up by some alien dude that looks cool.