Would it be good if the X-Men were in the MCU?

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Damselbinder

Some say it's inevitable, and maybe it is, but I'm interested to know if people think, ceteris paribus the X-Men, keeping broadly to their original concept (they're a subspecies of humanity many thousands-strong, they're students/teachers in an academy for other mutants, they form a superhero team as a sort of side-hustle to oppose evil mutants and to champion Prof. Xavier's ideals of human/mutant relations) would be a good addition to the MCU.

My own two cents are that it would be fun, but it would be kinda odd slotting them into an established universe. Would people react to the emergence of mutants with fear and hatred given that other superpeople not only already exist, but have famous, well-loved champions in the form of the Avengers? Or would they be backdated in, and we'd just understand that they'd kept hidden until the events of their first appearance? Would having thousands of superpeople all over the world be such a radical change to the status quo that the MCU would either have to habitually ignore them, or be boringly centred on them forevermore? All that aside, who'd be a good initial roster? The classic lineup from their original first movie, or something new? Maybe the originals (Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Iceman, Angel), with more added later?

What think's't?

(For God's sake please keep this thread fun - no soapboxing I beg)
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Do they really fit in together in the comics? They usually stay in their own domains anyway.
Damselbinder

Mr. X wrote:
2 years ago
Do they really fit in together in the comics? They usually stay in their own domains anyway.
Often but not always. Several X-Men have been prominent Avengers - most notably Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver - and there have been a number of crossover events involving them all: Avengers vs X-Men; X-Men vs Inhumans; Battleworld; House of M; Civil War; World War Hulk; Secret Invasion. There was a mixed Avengers/X-Men team for a while, Storm was married to Black Panther for years in the comics, Juggernaut has frequently locked horns with Spider-Man and the Hulk, and Wolverine has guest starred in the series of basically every other Marvel superhero.
ThatOnePervert
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

I feel like it's too late. We're what, 20 movies into the MCU at this point? I guess you could say mutants are appearing as a result of gauntlet shenanigans, but at this point it feels like anything they do to add them now is going to be awkward. Also after what they just did to Taskmaster I'm kind of scared for the mutants.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

It depends which part of the X-Men timeline they use. Some events don't fit well with the current MCU. However with the multi-verse they could slip them in as coming from a variant timeline. Like Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. weren't involved with the Snap either.