Some Star Trek positivity

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
Damselbinder

Let's get some positivity going, eh? A lot of us seem to hold this franchise quite dearly to our hearts, so let's discuss what we like. Specifically:

1) What's your favourite series?
2) Who's your favourite character?
3) What's your favourite episode of your favourite series?
and if you want to get really nerdy
4) What's your favourite starship design in the series, and why?
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

DS9 as the war with the Dominion was great

Dax for sexiness, Garak the tailor for all round interest

The Romulan attack on the Dominion home world. Great plot to that one with the Obsidian order.

Romulan Warbird. Loved the twin deck look of it. First time it appeared me and my mate down the pub were just blown away by the look.

Despite all that I'm not a huge fan, prefer Babylon 5, lol
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
Let's get some positivity going, eh? A lot of us seem to hold this franchise quite dearly to our hearts, so let's discuss what we like. Specifically:

1) What's your favourite series?
2) Who's your favourite character?
3) What's your favourite episode of your favourite series?
and if you want to get really nerdy
4) What's your favourite starship design in the series, and why?
Those are tough ones

1. I will go with TNG, although it was hard to against TOS

2. Miles O'brien he is the everyperson easy to identify with

3. Best of Both Worlds TNG

4. TNG Enterprise
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

1) TNG - The opening season was a little ropey but it slowly got so good!

2a) Picard - He was an inspiration to me in terms of a leader and how to manage people - and much of his wisdom as a people manager influenced me when I came to be in a management position of my own. I was gladdened to read an article later ( I don't recall the source now but it was reputable) that his style was also referenced when it came to teaching leadership skills to others in the real world.

2b) For the sexiness ... Mirror Darkly Hoshi or T'Pol

3) My favourite episode, was not from my favourite series, it was from DS9. I don't recall the title but it was basically O'Brien thinking there was some conspiracy going on and he was desperately trying to overcome it and win back his wife. He works so hard, overcomes the odds and finally he gets to the root of the conspiracy ... and then ... he discovers that he is not really O'Brien after all!! He is some sort of clone. The irony is, some enemy has created such a perfect clone they underestimated his response when he suspects everyone else is on to him. The clone does all the things the real O'Brien would do ... until his death. Inside ourselves, and the characters in the show, there is a realisation of what the real O'Brien was capable of, his loyalty and desire to do the right thing until his dying breath. The clone's undoing was it was too much like its source, the real O'Brien.

4) Voyager - I think it was an Intrepid class? Anywho - compact and kickass!
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I actually like the Xindi run on Enterprise.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

1. TNG was my favorite. If you take out the first season, it had a remarkably consistent run. I do think when we discuss the most
underrated series in the last 30 years or so, that DS9 should be on that list.
2. My favorite character was Q. I loved how he constantly challenged Picard.
3. My favorite episode is the alternate timeline episode where a dead Tasha Yar is still alive, Guinan spills the beans about how she
should not be here, and then Picard sends her out to fight on Enterprise C if I am not mistaken.
4. You know which ship I actually liked? The Defiant on DS9. Cool and sleek features.
Damselbinder

I suppose I might as well put my two cents in too.

1) TNG was also my favourite. It had the best combination of cast and character, does some (relatively simplistic but genuine) philosophising about this that and the other, and has more ongoing story stuff than people sometimes give it credit for. The changing situation with the Klingons and the civil war and such; Data's gradual adjustment to interaction with his organic colleagues; the whole buildup to and aftermath of Best of Both Worlds. It also had the highest proportion of characters I really liked: to the point where I think I almost would say that I preferred DS9, except that I never connected with Sisko. TNG's cast just pips it over the edge for me.

2) My favourite character is almost certainly Lt. Commander Data. There's something just so charismatic and genuine about his stumbling toward humanity: a genuinely artificial person trying to make sense of himself and the world entirely from scratch. It helps that he's also an absolutely raging badass: the bit in Best of Both Worlds where he wrestles with Locutus and wins always, always gets me hype. Also, even though his colleagues are accommodating of and sensitive to his difficulties, he doesn't get a total free pass. In "The Ensigns of Command" Data has to do some diplomacy, which - being emotionless - he's not very good at. At one point he asks Riker to put someone else in his place because it's not in his skill set, and Riker says, basically: "sorry mate, you're going to have to find a way." Data is challenged, and makes mistakes - he's not a mary-sue. He easily could have been, and indeed he could have been such an annoying character generally ("Danger! Danger, Captain Picard!"), but Brent Spiner just makes him absolutely fantastic. He embodies the spirit of curiosity, humanity, and tolerance that Star Trek's all about. Data IS Star Trek, made flesh. Or er, plastic.

3) My favourite episode is probably "The Survivors". It's one of the most effective mystery plots that TNG ever managed to pull off, it's genuinely tense, and the ending is really harrowing. I first watched TNG as a teenager, catching odd episodes on re-runs (so I hadn't yet seen other TNG greats like "Measure of a Man"), and I'd kind of always thought Star Trek was a bit silly up to that point. "The Survivors" is the first one that grabbed me by the throat and made me realise that it was genuine, quite intellectually daring (sometimes) sci-fi.

4) The Excelsior class. Almost like an art deco version of a Constitution class, if there was any ship that had to be THE background ship for the entire TNG era, I'm glad it was the Excelsior. Recognisably Starfleet, sturdy-looking, but sleek, it gave off to me the perfect combination of style and practicality within the boundaries of the ST universe. I prefer the original design of the standard Excelsior, rather than the bulkier refit of the Enterprise-B, but I don't think the refit looks bad.
shevek
Producer
Producer

1) TNG

2) Overall: Data (TNG). Hotness: Seven of Nine (VOY), M'ress (TAS).

3) Darmok (TNG).

4) Klingon Bird of Prey.

5) I'll add favorite aliens: Species 8472 (VOY).
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

1) TOS

2) I don't really have one. TOS is definitely my favorite crew, the interaction between Kirk, Spock and McCoy is great. But what I really like is the concept, a mixture of Forbidden Planet and Voyage of the Space Beagle that can do Weird Science of the week, or fight off the Klingons, and works equally well in either case.

3) The Enterprise Incident.

4) Either Original Series Enterprise or the first movie version. I think the cylinder and disk geometry of the ship just looks more realistic and purposeful. Honorable mention to the TOS Galileo Shuttlecraft, The Klingon Bird of Prey (Star Trek III), and the Defiant.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I have always thought the story of how Star Trek: the Motion Picture got made was a fascinating story, that the original plan was that Paramount was going to start a network in the mid 1970's and one of the signature series on the network was going to be a Star Trek series with Shatner as Captain (no Spock). When the folks at Paramount ultimately decided to shelve their plans to start a network (I believe they may have had trouble rounding up affiliates) they then decided to make a Star Trek film instead and they were able to get Nimoy for the film project.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

1) DS9
2) Sisko
3) Far Beyond The Stars - just an absolutely amazing bit of TV and a brilliant stand alone episode. Incredibly brave to do, even back in the nineties when you couldn't get shouted at on Twitter.
4) The Defiant. I love that instead of the Federation building a giant warship the writers of DS9 decided that they would instead condense a regular sized warship into this pocket sized brawler.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dogfish wrote:
3 years ago
1) DS9
2) Sisko
3) Far Beyond The Stars - just an absolutely amazing bit of TV and a brilliant stand alone episode. Incredibly brave to do, even back in the nineties when you couldn't get shouted at on Twitter.
4) The Defiant. I love that instead of the Federation building a giant warship the writers of DS9 decided that they would instead condense a regular sized warship into this pocket sized brawler.
The other cool thing was that the Defiant came equipped with a cloaking device, a first for a Federation starship if I am not mistaken.
Damselbinder

Technically the U.S.S. Pegasus had one first, developed in violation of the treaty of Algeron. The Defiant's was on loan from the Romulan government, the agreement being that it could only use its cloak while in the Gamma Quadrant.