Appreciation for the story forum

Want to just talk about stories? Float a request, do some research, recruit a partner in crime? Then come on in and have yourself a pint.
Bert

If you'd asked me twenty years ago if I would be writing superheroine fiction I would have laughed at you. As an intensely lazy human, putting forth the effort to write stories that few people would ever read was a hard pass for me. But then this amazing forum happened. I read some great heroine fiction, and I saw how well it was received. Against all odds, I was inspired to give it a try.

I posted my first story about two and a half years ago. I was sick as a dog and stuck in my bedroom. So I wrote a story. Amazingly, it was somewhat well-received. I wrote another, and people read that one too. I never would have expected this private part of my life to suddenly involve writing fiction and actually having a small audience for my "art". (Art is in quotes because, well let's be honest - my writing isn't exactly Jane Austin or Bertrand Russell!)

On a whim this morning I added up the views for the four stories I've posted. I was astounded to see that the total was close to 20,000 views. That's pretty shocking. So I want to thank all the people who made this forum possible. It has become an impressive collection of tales and opened the door for many people to try their hand at writing heroine fiction. I'd also like to thank Dr. D and C.J.S. for being so encouraging and supportive of my writing efforts. Knowing people are reading your work is gratifying, but having readers take the time to comment with encouragement and constructive criticism is even better.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Well done and thank you for the contributions
Given most stories are in installments I usually knock off 1/4 of views for Bots and then divide by 10 to get an approximation of the number of readers so 1500 or so different readers is a good tally, well done.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
Given most stories are in installments I usually knock off 1/4 of views for Bots and then divide by 10 to get an approximation of the number of readers so 1500 or so different readers is a good tally, well done.
I get knocking off 25% for bots but divide by 10? Why? Are our members only one-tenth the value of real people? Sir, I take offense on behalf of all our lovely members here. They are at least worth a third or, nay, even a half a person by god!

:giggle:
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Because if the story is in installments the same people will be coming back to read each part.
You will have some who read in one go and some who give up. So just taking a rough average of 10 posts per story I divide by ten, as that allows for people reading 2 or 3 chapters in one go

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Damselbinder

Either way, all those readers and commenters certainly are appreciated, however many zeroes they have at the end of their tally, Tally.

Appreciation also to fellow authors, for keeping this corner of the forum going!
Bert

tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
Well done and thank you for the contributions
I'd be very surprised if 1,500 different readers have checked out my stories, but even if the number is a few hundred that's pretty cool.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Well you get the same readers of course who like your stuff and read each story but I was more just making the point it's not 20, 000 but as you say several hundred is a decent achievement (if you divide the 1500 by the numbers of stories you've written you will be closer)
BUT all that doesn't matter well done

DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

So you're saying my 300,000 readers is more like 3,000?

:see_stars: :cry:

Bert

DrDominator9 wrote:
2 years ago
So you're saying my 300,000 readers is more like 3,000?

:see_stars: :cry:
Maybe it's like 13, but they're really obsessive! :lol:
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Well sorry to burst that bubble but probably more like 2000 as you've looked at your own work 1000 times

Damselbinder

Perhaps we shouldn't obscure Bert's very nice sentiment.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago
Perhaps we shouldn't obscure Bert's very nice sentiment.
What a wet blanket you are!

That said, yes, the readers and commenters here are the life blood of every writer who contibutes to this site so thanks for all the support given over the years. You regulars know who you are. And you newbie members, don't be shy. Speak up.