ISIS sued by 70s superheroine!

General discussions about superheroines!
Centurion
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

You guys are going to love this...

http://www.theantinews.com/anti-news141.html
Disciple
Stories Mod
Stories Mod

Not quite as good as an Onion article, but still worth a snigger.
athenaartemis
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Maybe my next Isis video should have the true Isis beating down and punching Abu Bakr Al Bahgdati in the nose! Or least zapping his compute networks. http://www.clips4sale.com/studio/67405/

"To stop Daesh's evil as it mounts, I know blast Daesh's twitter and facebook accounts." Zap! Who needs lawyers!
IsisBlastsDaesh.gif
IsisBlastsDaesh.gif (61.71 KiB) Viewed 3600 times
Ezekiel
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

As broad as I believe my humor spectrum to be, sitting back an ocean away and cracking jokes at a fanatical organization that's going rampant, ruining millions of lives and erasing cultural heritage dating back to the dawn of humanity from the face of the Earth feels kind of wrong. The only thing these boys really need is lead. Between the eyes. If you can't contribute with that, maybe it's best to just shut up.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Come on now chaps let's play nice...
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Ezekiel wrote:As broad as I believe my humor spectrum to be, sitting back an ocean away and cracking jokes at a fanatical organization that's going rampant, ruining millions of lives and erasing cultural heritage dating back to the dawn of humanity from the face of the Earth feels kind of wrong. The only thing these boys really need is lead. Between the eyes. If you can't contribute with that, maybe it's best to just shut up.
To be fair, every tyrannical regime and every terrorist group over the last couple of centuries has been satirized in the Western media. If we refrain from ever lampooning such people and make them objects of pure terror, then we're effectively telling them that terrorism works.

WARNING: If you play this video, the song will keep playing in your head all day.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Ezekiel
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Well, the problem is that terrorism actually does work. Pretty effectively actually. Half of Syria's population has left the country (either due directly to isis or the other terrorist groups that form the so-called syrian opposition). Historical monuments and artifacts of invaluable importance have been lost forever. And also a lot of people have been enslaved, mutilated or murdered by these primitives, due to belonging to different religious groups or refusal to join them.

Any effective action taken against isis all these years by the civilized world that started the problems there to begin with? Pretty much no.

That's why I find it bad taste to be cracking jokes and satires on the topic, but hey, it's (still) a free world over here.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

You'll find there was contemporary satire of every such event in recent history, regardless of the death toll. The idea that Napoleon Bonaparte was short comes from satirical cartoons in which he depicted as diminutive. (He was average height for the time.)

Satire is a major part of Western culture. Should Charlie Chaplin's The Great Dictator have been buried due to concerns about taste? What about George Orwell's Animal Farm? Or Parker and Stone's Team America: World Police?
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Ezekiel
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

I can't see how comparing this topic to George Orwell's works or anything else that you have mentioned is in any way reasonable or making sense. If anything, I find this on the same level with 9/11 jokes or puns about how many jews fit in a Volkswagen.

It's hard for me to make a laughing matter out of such a serious problem when so little is done to fix it, but again, that's just my opinion.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Ezekiel wrote:I can't see how comparing this topic to George Orwell's works or anything else that you have mentioned is in any way reasonable or making sense. If anything, I find this on the same level with 9/11 jokes or puns about how many jews fit in a Volkswagen.
Well, that would be true if the butt of the joke was the victims, rather than the perpetrators of the atrocities. But it's not. This article is all about making the Boogeyman look ridiculous, which is a great tradition with a wealth of contemporaneous satire about ISIS, Al-Qaeda, Communists and Nazis.

ISIS would actually be terrified in a world where superheroines exist. They would be denied access to Paradise and their 72 virgins if killed by a woman.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Isis isn't a terrorist organization in Syria it's a militia army that is physically holding ground and it's aim is a caliphate that doesn't currenly exist, that's why the population is displacing, so it's not right to say terrorism works. It's a civil war in Syria, not a terrorism campaign, that ISIS has jumped into. (And they have lost control of 40% of the territory they supposedly held a year ago so to say the west isn't doing anything is also untrue). But I don't care. Re the original disquiet about the first posts-

Let's not forget that whilst Hitler had over run all of Europe and was systematically killing millions Britains were singing 'Hitler has only got one ball'
It's what people do, making fun of your adversaries lessens their hold/fear over you.

But here is the really important bit... NONE OF THIS DEBATE AFTER THE ORIGINAL FEW POSTS HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE SH FETISH.

It's political, let's keep it out of here people.

And if you think I'm wrong, fine I could be , just don't post it here.

SH forum for SH stuff
Last edited by tallyho 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Centurion
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

I apologize to Ezekiel. It never occurred to me that anyone would think I was making light of the atrocities that ISIS is committing on a daily basis. For many of us, superheroine fiction is just a harmless, semi-erotic fantasy. But in the process we often write about all manner of crime -- theft, murder, rape, kidnapping, subversion, ruling the world -- which would be truly horrifying in real life. Does that mean we should stop writing about them? In the fantasy worlds we like to imagine, there are superheroes and superheroines who could have (and would have) stopped all this. In the real world, things aren't that cut and dried. There is only so much that governments can do. But that's no reason to stop believing in heroes.
Ezekiel
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

I can understand fantasizing about peril or violence, developing a fetish for it. I do that just like probably any other user of this board. But, personally, I draw the line when the evil is no longer one born in fantasy (even though the basic concept is naturally taken from reality) but something that is quite real and, as it stands in this case, unchallenged.
flirty_but_nice
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

I thought the article was hilarious and I take no offense to such humor. Yes, ISIS is perpetrating atrocities in the Middle East, but I see nothing out of line with the humor as posted in the OP. They're evil and we could and should bash their barbarism every chance we get, imho.
xoxo
Jenn (aka Flirty)