Windows 10 - Any thoughts?

Topics, links and pics that are interesting, weird, or irrelevant!
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

I upgraded one laptop to Windows 10. It's not bad, some things take a little getting used to but overall I feel like this OS is going down the same path as Facebook and Google where they try to glean as much personal info from you that they can. I've noticed that Microsoft has pulled back on the ads, (You should've seen it before!) But I feel overall I might just revert back to Windows 7.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

supposedly its far better than 8. 8 would wipe out all your programs on an update. I am converting one of my render machines to 10 to see how it works. I still trust win 7 more.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I'm still waiting for the upgrade. I signed up before my mates, told them about registering to receive it and they have all had it before me. Been 3 months since I signed up and 2 month since they started rolling it out, so whilst I still haven't used it, I'm marking them down on customer service for starters.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
admin

You can force the upgrade, just download the media creation tool:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

and that will get you the upgrade immediately.

I've already tweaked some of the privacy settings so that Windows 10 is less invasive. I have to also say that I loaded this on a brand new laptop, so I don't know how it would affect a loaded machine.

Oh yeah, this laptop came with Windows 8 and that was horrendous.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

MightyHypnotic @hyponlinemedia wrote:I upgraded one laptop to Windows 10. It's not bad, some things take a little getting used to but overall I feel like this OS is going down the same path as Facebook and Google where they try to glean as much personal info from you that they can. I've noticed that Microsoft has pulled back on the ads, (You should've seen it before!) But I feel overall I might just revert back to Windows 7.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?
a few colleagues in the computer industry say for complex programs it runs slow.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Have you tried ClassicShell? It gives Windows 10 the same style of Start menu as Windows 7.

The one Windows 10 feature that really boils my piss, however, is the forced downloading and installation of updates. If I need to run any complex programs, I end up switching off my modem and rebooting the computer. Just to be sure the forced updates aren't hogging resources.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
digitalbleh
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

I have been using the upgrade on a laptop for a month+. Been fine so far, the UI and layout of things beats the windows 8 design. The updated version of directx is good for gamers. You are able to upgrade without losing any data, and then you get a month "trial" so to speak, in which you can revert back to your old version of windows, as it will save you system files in a folder. Privacy settings on windows 10 is a bit over the top, most of which you can go and disable though. The laptop i run win 10 on isnt the best specs but it seems to run a bit better preformance wise over windows 8.
However i still do alot more things on my desktop which is still on windows 7, and i tend to like 7 more.

Heroine Addict is correct though, the windows 10 automatic updates is a bit of a pain, as they will ship an update you cant really opt out of, and it is possible the update could break any app you already have installed. Then you are forced to wait for the software maker of the app to update their programs. I have not had it happen yet, but it has caused a bit of a stir. I do believe with some editing of the "HOSTS" file you can block all windows update ip's/dns to disable the updating.

Tallyho if you are waiting for an email from microsoft saying your upgrade is ready, you will not receive one, just click on the icon in your task bar again and go thru the screens it will start the download/install.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

thanks - I had tried that once a week for the last month but no joy.

I'll give it a go later, ta.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
ttb51m
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

I dx'ed any personal info for cortana,love halo, but im not having my laptop id me to the internet when ever it feels like it or when 10 has been cracked.
I downloaded it day 1 knowing I would regret it, the first version is never worth a damn, and I already reverted back to 8, all the tweaks I liked and considered user friendly were removed and my machine did not like the OS over all, very sporadic and all crashy like all of a sudden , so I am back to 8 and will be fine till I get a new system loaded with 10.whateva @ #doucheOS

you know what im sayn
Helpless
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

Other than a misidentified video driver which caused a "BSOD" incident it works almost as well as OS X.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

ttb51m wrote:I dx'ed any personal info for cortana,love halo, but im not having my laptop id me to the internet when ever it feels like it or when 10 has been cracked.
I downloaded it day 1 knowing I would regret it, the first version is never worth a damn, and I already reverted back to 8, all the tweaks I liked and considered user friendly were removed and my machine did not like the OS over all, very sporadic and all crashy like all of a sudden , so I am back to 8 and will be fine till I get a new system loaded with 10.whateva @ #doucheOS

you know what im sayn
Just set up an Outlook email address with a generic name such as Home_PC_4B9R. Make sure you remember the password, though, as you'll be regularly nagged for verification during the first few times you use Windows 10.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Philo Hunter
Overlord
Overlord

I like it a lot better than 8. I've only run across 2 problems. 1) you have to dig down through three menus to get it to forget a wireless password when someone changes it, which is kind of annoying (instead of it being a right click away like on 8). 2) In windows explorer it refreshes to the top of the page once every minute. Normally I don't think I would notice this but I run a photocomic that requires me to sort through folders of sometimes 3000+ photos and that shit gets annoying.
dlo005
Elder Member
Elder Member

ttb51m wrote:I dx'ed any personal info for cortana,love halo, but im not having my laptop id me to the internet when ever it feels like it or when 10 has been cracked.

you know what im sayn
im glad i held off upgrading. i waited to upgrade to windows 8 till they came out with 8.1. ive heard several people not satisfied with windows 10... most say their computer runs slow... ill disreguard the freebee windows 10 and wait for 10.1 which im sure will be out with in a year.
Such are promises
All lies and jest
Still, a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest Simon & Garfunkel
ttb51m
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

"Just set up an Outlook email address with a generic name such as Home_PC_4B9R. Make sure you remember the password, though, as you'll be regularly nagged for verification during the first few times you use Windows 10."

thanks for the advice I honestly hadn't thought of that. if I upgrade I will try that.

nice job,
Maskfan
Henchman
Henchman

I gave it a try. I avoided the express install and discovered about 10 pages worth of MS spyware they wanted to foist upon my computer.

Then trying to figure out how it works (I'm using 7 atm) took some time. It really does seem geared to the 8 crowd.

What killed it for me is that no matter what I tried, it would not pick up on my wireless trackball from Logitec...even with the latest drivers.
If the devices I use for gaming can't be used, then its a no sale for me.

Overall...3 hours I won't be getting back.