Recent sexy-as-hell comic books

General discussions about superheroines!
shevek
Producer
Producer

Not sure why this forum doesn't have a subforum specifically about comics...I mean, it is all about superheroines, right?...so I'm putting this in the Superheroine Lounge where I also put Sex Criminals. Let's define "recent" as within the 2000s, especially in the past few years.

Starfire miniseries (2015-16)

So, the Starfire miniseries has almost concluded. Issue 10 was out last month and issue 11 is coming out on 4/13 (my guess is that there'll be 12 altogether).

Here's the preview which sets up the storyline: http://www.dccomics.com/reader/#/comics/361846

To my knowledge, in over 30 years of the character (not to be confused with the galactic fighter Starfire from even earlier), Kori has never had her own book, at least not for more than a one-shot. This series was great - I don't know what the SJWs would think of it but it'd be difficult for them to utterly lambaste this the way they did to Red Hood and the Outlaws. I think the difference is ultimately identity politics once again: Red Hood was written entirely by men, and Starfire is the female minority sharing a book with two male lead characters..so any criticism about "objectification" (and there's plenty of Starfire sexy talk in Outlaws) becomes amplified.

But suddenly when a book like Starfire is written and drawn by three women and one man, and the lead characters are pretty much all women (and despite constant talk about boys, it also passes the Bechdel Test quite easily), the comic is given a free pass even though it's still very sexy. Hey, works for me!

Anyway, for a reader who looks for some visual stimulation along with fantastic art and a great storyline, it is hard to beat :)

Kori, Atlee and Stella have to be one of the hottest female fighting teams in comics (none of their sex appeal is ever tamped down, unlike in A-Force). In the book, still somewhat naive about the world (the humor often revolves around either her innocence, or her sexy talk), and having left both the Titans and the Outlaws, she has landed in Key West chilling on the island, and hijinks of course ensue, ultimately culminating in a battle 20,000 Leagues Under The Earth (or whatever). By #10 we even get to see Stella slipping into a tight silver dress, which is nice.

Folks might want to check it out. I'm eagerly awaiting the final two issues.
Don't expect a clothes-ripping transformation and boob window on every panel, though. :)

Right now, I'm checking out the new Poison Ivy "Cycle of Life" miniseries, and also (if I can find it anywhere) going back to Gail Simone's Rose and Thorn from 2004.
Speaking of Rose and Thorn, there was a one-shot of a new version of the character (a t**n*ge one, not sure if that's dicey to discuss, but the comic itself deals with it in an adult way) and also a one-shot of Looker both in the "National Comics" sub-imprint. Also I wanted to go over the whole chronology of X-23 because that seems interesting. Lots of great strong female characters (most of which the SHIP world isn't paying any attention to).

As for the greatest female character of all time, please note: *Wonder Woman is bound in chains on the cover of the new Earth One graphic novel
that's about to come out in April*. According to the book's creator, in this origin retelling, WW's sexuality is now expressly "alternative", not only is she inherently bisexual but she is also into leashes, locks and chains (attn Jennifer Blaze!). Steve Trevor is black, btw, but that can't possibly matter, he's always been a faceless character so giving him a bit more depth is warranted. Written and drawn entirely by men, though. We all might want to look into this particular publication!!

Then there's some stuff that's put out by Avatar/Boundless that I want to look more into (Webwitch is one I've already read, and will discuss) and of course more Image titles beyond Sex Criminals (which I'm up to date on, and it's still great). If you've got any other sexy recommendations, please post below.
shevek
Producer
Producer

new Poison Ivy "Cycle of Life and Death" miniseries (3 issues are out so far, out of 6. the trade collection doesn't come out until Sept) is hella sexy.
Pamela gets a second chance to work at a scientist job, but things go awry. She has to solve a murder that isn't her doing, but she also does some killing herself (of the politically correct kind: animal abuser, sexual harasser, etc.). Might want to wait for the collection, but I've read this online already.
The art is beautiful..and there are nice guest appearances by her buddies Harley and Selina. Again, this is written by Amy Chu and drawn by a guy (Clay Mann) so that's how things work nowadays.
TIEnTEEZ
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I stopped reading comic books in the late 80s, but this makes me want to start again. :)
Leadpoison
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

I love how the colorist made it so that Ivy's muff is all like "BADOW! Check it!"
shevek wrote: Image
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Might check that out if Harley's in it. Because kind of have to surely.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Is Starfire lesbian? I am so glad that more females have been written as lesbian in the comics, its real...ya cant hide from the facts
shevek
Producer
Producer

I am sorry but I simply cannot recommend the new Spiderwoman in good conscience because of the terrible way in which she's recently been "Batgirled". Jessica Drew now rides a motorcycle. Helps out regular people on the streets. And has a terrible "jacket" costume with goggles. Apparently although she had a truly sexy body before, now all definition of her form seems to be gone. This was probably due to the furor over the Spider-Butt art from a little while back (the character even mentions Spider-Butt in issue 5 where she makes the costume change...it's a real shame, because in that issue they also show Captain Marvel with beautiful long hair, and Carol Danvers is drawn great). The knee-jerk reaction was to "third-wave feminize" the character and make her look like a rail-thin sexless teenager, even though she's probably in her mid '30s. Totally stupid. I feel sorry for the manginas who wrote this book (all dudes). The writer even has a villain called Jessica Drew a "leather-jacket has-been", as if they acknowledge what they've done but somehow can't helping doing it anyway. By issue 7, the whole plot has actually turned into a super-preachy *vast female supremacist conspiracy* about domestic violence, in which she lets a whole town full of female criminals completely off the hook. That's right, I kid you not, it's kind of an interesting twist, but still you can see which way the writers' thoughts are going. The villains get lamer and lamer until you are literally left with The Porcupine and Lady Earthmover. The social justice fun keeps rolling along with a villain who exploits cows by turning them into tortured meat hulks which turn a whole town into zombies, and the only citizen who can help save them is a vegan. Could things be more obvious? The only issues of the 2015 Spiderwoman series you want to read are the first four where they finish up the Spider-War. I'll double check but I think you probably don't want to check out the recent 2016 reboot.

from awesome

to ugh, in the space of one issue. Unconscionable.

----------

Starfire is not lesbian. Never has been, never will be. But speaking of which, one of the two identities of Jackpot (Alana Jobson) definitely was. She died, however, thanks to an overreaction to a serum that was supposed to be antidote. I'm not sure if the other living Jackpot (now in the red costume, Sara Ehret) is also lesbian or not.

Jackpot is in fact the star of the next miniseries I can recommend. It's a 2008 miniseries called Amazing Spider Man Secret Invasion (1-3) but the whole thing is really a story about Jackpot fighting both a superskrull and Menace (a Goblin incarnation). Jackpot is in tons of peril throughout, she even rips a hole in her ass, and the costume itself is very sexy, kind of a 70 s throwback look with bell bottoms and boots. And this particular Jackpot is still Alana Jobson, although her lesbian tendency isn't mentioned, and near the end there's a tiny flirt with Spidey. I kind of think that the whole Jackpot character is a projection of what Mary Jane Watson *could be* if she was a superheroine but Marvel has always been afraid to make her one (even though they did so to Gwen on another Earth, and it stuck nicely).

Hott, right? I love this character, she's sassy, sexy, strong, takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
shevek
Producer
Producer

So, speaking of Jackpot, I wanted to give you an overview of the Amazing Spiderman Presents: Jackpot origin story miniseries (1-3) from 2009 (which ...but I can't find it anywhere online. I may really have to go to the comic shop to get this one, like I did for Sex Criminals..but from these covers you can tell it's some hot stuff. Furthermore, if I'm not mistaken, I think it's collected in a trade with the 2010 Amazing Spiderman Presents: Black Cat (1-4) so if so, that is going to be one hot book to read :)

Too bad it looks like the entire character of Jackpot is retired from the Marvel universe at this point? The Alana Jobson version died in Spiderman's arms,
while the Sara Ehret incarnation apparently quit and went into the witness protection program. Hope that changes in the future.

-----------

Meanwhile, I said I'd take a gander at the "All-New, All-Different" 2016 reboot of Spider-Woman (which in the Marvel Universe is being pushed as a companion read along with Spider-Gwen and Silk). She's still in the new jacketed costume, she's still working with Ben Urich and Porcupine, and it's still not sexy. What it is, though, is probably the most overtly feminist book that Marvel has ever put out (more so than A-Force), not just passing the Bechdel Test but destroying it entirely. The book is essentially about Jessica Drew's conscious choice to have baby without knowing who the father is. She chooses to single-mom it on purpose.

For several issues, she's pregnant, then gives birth to a son, is overwhelmed by it, but decides to keep scratching her superheroing bug to set an example for her child. Along the way, we get preached at big-time (not the least of which is a message about Scandinavian-style open-ended maternity leave..the dudes who wrote his book - #yesalldudes - must have really been feeling the Bern). There is not a single male character in the book that is not a has-been, a hanger-on, or the butt of a joke. Captain Marvel's new haircut continues to be an abomination.

The only really good thing I could say about this book is that by the most current issues it starts to read like a TV show: "Superheroines and The City", four strong and sexy women dishing about life 'n such (Spider-Woman, She-Hulk, Hellcat, Captain Marvel). I think it would actually work really well as a TV show..but as a book it's lame. Here is pretty much the only hot part of the first five issues. At least we see that Jessica takes the time to primp up her appearance before going out crimefighting, styling her hair, putting on lipstick etc. I just wish she was zipping up her old costume :)

What do people think? Has anyone read this book yet?
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I think it will be a cold day in hell before I waste my life reading it.
I'll never get the time back I just spent reading those panels.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
shevek
Producer
Producer

Yeah, pretty disappointing, I understand, Tallyho. The new Spiderwoman is not where it's at.

Popped up to say that my comic shop called me today and the Jackpot series is in (the one I previewed above)..so I'll let you know how it is in a few days.
But since I've also been reading a lot of comics online, I figured I would give a glowing report about another series instead:

The She-Hulk 2005 run.

(Also known among the cognoscenti as "Adjectiveless She-Hulk Vol. 2"). I have to highly recommend this run, of which I'm up to #17 right now. She gets back to lawyering and then gets distracted first by matters of cosmic importance and then by being drafted into the SHIELD Hulkbusters. She has relationships with a couple dudes. She sleeps with a half-dozen more. She gets really mad at Starfox for persuading women to sleep with him using his erotic powers..then it turns out Starfox was the one being duped by Thanos so *there's no rape culture after all*. She gets married to J Jonah Jameson's son and then gets separated. She parades around in a bunch of variously revealing costumes, and is constantly drawn meticulously as being ridiculously well-endowed. It's a hoot(er).

She fights an army of Nick Fury robots in her underwear:

She fights the Wendigo in her sports bra:

All the while she is both funny and very sexy, empowered and sassy, strong yet emotional, while doing it. Plus there are some other cuties in the series. Her fellow lawyer Mallory Book looks pretty good - here she is straight-laced but she also lets loose while having a fling with Awesome Andy.
There's the introduction of Agent Cheescake of SHIELD which is hilarious.
There's the hot transformation of Talisman, the most beauteous Native American shaman you ever will see:
And I could go on and on. Maybe because it's all dudes (and also because it's still 2005 and we haven't plunged deep into the PC era of comicbooks quite yet) any meta-commentary on how sexuality is treated in comicbooks is tempered with humor, a wink and a nudge, and some cheesecake.

There's another She-Hulk series that started in 2014. When I finish the 2005 run I'll contrast and compare, we'll see if the Anita Sarkeesians of the comics industry have made it more difficult for the hottest major character in Marvel Comics to have a sexy book, or not. The next book I'm going to look at is Avengers Academy..that might be a bit controversial so I hope people can handle it.
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

You won't like the 2014 She-Hulk. Spend a few seconds checking out the image-search results and move on.
ksire_99
Elder Member
Elder Member

Cover of 38
She Hulk Cover.jpg
She Hulk Cover.jpg (335.32 KiB) Viewed 10256 times
shevek
Producer
Producer

Well, I'll finish reading the 2005 She Hulk run and then I'll start online looking at the 2014 run (the website I use only goes up to 12 so far..and 38 is the finale, huh?). In the meantime, I've actually ordered the graphic novel that reprints the 2004 She-Hulk run plus 2005 1-5 (because I can't find the 2004 to read online). The issue that I'm especially interested in is the origin of Titania, but I figure if the 2005 version is good then the 2004 one has to be at least as good. I'll save the 2014 for down the line but yes I'll remember your evaluation. I will let everyone know what I think of the 2004 She-Hulk run once my book comes in.

So, as promised, I bought a couple graphic novels from my comics shop. I got the Amazing Spiderman Presents: Jackpot (2009-10) and the Spider-Man: Black Cat and I can recommend both.

The Jackpot series for which I've show the cover above (in which Sara Ehret takes the Jackpot mantle back up from the dead Alana Jobson, at the urging of Spiderman) is exquisitely drawn. Even though there's a new Jackpot costume (a change from the green and white bustier and pantsuit), it's actually even hotter than before. It's supertight red and black spandex, the long red flowing wig is beautiful, and her face is drawn gorgeously. She's also drawn very sexily in her civilian identity..and there's even a scene where her husband literally fulfils every SHIPper's dream: he has sex with her IN THE COSTUME. Of course there's life-changing tragedy but it's no Women In Refrigerators (if anything, quite the opposite)..you should check out this book for yourself, it's one of the hotter things I've seen from Marvel. The book kind of peters out with her becoming a single mom under witness protection (this single mom seems to be gaining traction in Marvel at least, with Spiderwoman and Tigra raising babies on their own as well). Since the publication of this, nothing has been done with Jackpot..I really hope that she is revived in her new West Coast digs because Sara Ehret is too good a character to bury.

As for Spider Man: Black Cat, the art inside is meh (imho, Felicia is drawn with too much of a round face and not enough attention to her most exquisite features), but...the story is hot (she goes up against Kraven's huntress daughter..whom I would really love to see gain superpowers, she would be one chaotic Russian badass)..and there are many pinup pages galore which are drawn extremely well. In one of the two added stories at the end (from The Many Loves of Spiderman) Felicia is drawn better, actually. For $17 I'm not disappointed or anything..in fact, my comic shop has two other earlier Black Cat collections in stock and I may purchase them over time just to have as much Felicia as possible at my fingertips. Here's the back cover of the trade:

So, next topic..remember I mentioned the hyped Wonder Woman: Earth One book? Don't buy into it, and definitely do not buy the first hardback volume (I did, sight unseen - because it was shrinkwrapped - and I regret it). The scene on the front cover (although well drawn)? Not indicative of what's inside at all. That scene represents Wonder Woman going back to Paradise Island, and during that trial she is symbolically put in chains because that's how the Amazons do things. But otherwise than that, she's not in peril. Instead she lords over everybody moralizing with radical feminism, which is what this book is about (it's not really second-wave stuff). The only other aspects of the book that I liked is that Hippolyta is pretty beautiful, and that the Amazons go apeshit wild drunk during their festival. But this is definitely not worth the money. Read it online (it's already up! I should have read it online myself before taking the plunge) and make an evaluation for yourself.

The next comics I'm investigating are the following:
I took out from the library the two 2014 volumes that Gail Simone did on Red Sonja (who apparently was one of her huge inspirations for getting into comics...so the truth is that some of today's feminist comic writers who do all the 'Batgirling' grew up on excellent cheescake..and at least Gail isn't afraid to admit it). The volumes are Queen of Plagues (mixed-gender staff) and Legends of Red Sonja (an all-female lineup).

I also took out of the library World Finest: Huntress Power Girl Volume 1 The Lost Daughters of Earth 2 (2010), because the cover looked cute, so I'll post an evaluation of that one as well.

Online, I've also been perusing Avengers Academy (2011) and Thunderbolts (2004) so I'll report on those when I'm done with them as well.
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Definitely curious about the above-mentioned Jackpot hooking up with her husband while in costume. Any chance at posting some pics of that in this thread?
Ignore any virtue-signaling; it's clearly just you.

Ignore any activism; it clearly doesn't exist.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!
Ignore your common sense!

Everything is entirely normal and ignore the radical changes to culture.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Well, the problem with that is (like I said above) this Jackpot miniseries is not online on the two sites where I read comics. Nobody's bothered to upload.
That's why I bought the book. Pretty much all I could find was a review of the book where a writer opined: "Question: Your superhero wife returns home after a long night of fighting crime. You notice that she has a huge slash on her neck from fighting a crazed maniac with razor sharp boomerangs. After seeing this you: A) Take your wife to hospital. B) Remind her she has a young daughter and it may not be the best idea to fighting dangerous super villains. C) Tease her about getting her ass kicked and then try to have sex with her while she is still wearing her costume for a little cosplay action.
If you answered “C” you are my hero and you are also correct."

=============

One book I was able to find online (but which I took out of the library to read at my leisure) is the World's Finest: Huntress Power Girl, subtitled "Volume 1, The Lost Daughters of Earth 2". The main premise is that this is a "buddy" book but with women. Earth 2's Supergirl and Robin (female, on that earth she's the daughter of Catwoman and Batman) get tossed through a portal courtesy of some Apokolips booyah, and end up in Earth 1. Within a few years, they've established themselves on Earth 1 as the millionaire industrialist/scientist Karen Starr (Power Girl) and the streetwise Huntress. On a social action note, this book is meant to inspire women to form powerful friendships that benefit them in everyday life (they can't resist a bit of gender politics, as Helena joins a Take Back the Night March ["push the school to fund their rape center properly"] and thwarts the plans of a misogynist sniper). But luckily that is balanced out by great art and hot costuming - sure Power Girl wears a full bodysuit but she's still hot as hell. The fact that she's rich and smart is even more alluring. Anyway, though..since the art is being drawn by George Perez (our patron saint of Sisterhood of Superheroines), you get a good amount of knockdowns and peril coming Power Girl's way, as well as costume and clothing destruction several times.
That's a lotta costume destruction for only the first five issues.....
World's Finest goes up to 32 online..I'll check out the rest of the series.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Yeah...well..I got distracted by another series so I'll get back to World's Finest I guess. I'll also get back to Avengers Academy, Thunderbolts, and possibly the latest run of Supergirl, as well as wrapping up the Red Sonjas I've read. Also, I have an inkling that the brand new run of Mockingbird is going to be hot, so maybe I'll deal with that one next.

The other series I got distracted by is apparently the longest-running all-female superteam book of all time: Birds of Prey, which ran solid for ten fucking years from 1999-2009, and then returned again twice in 2010-11 and 2012-14. So the concept obviously has staying powers. All through the series (at least the ones I've read so far) Canary and Huntress are drawn exquisitely. I don't know if Volumes 2 and 3 are the same way (I suspect the closer we get to the present, the more political correctness would kick in), but the original series was drawn brilliantly and for most of the time it was helmed by Gail Simone, who also did the more recent Red Sonja books that I'm still reading. She seems to have a great knack for combining the beautiful cheesecake we all enjoy with powerful storytelling and just enough peril (though not enough to get empowered females killed, or anything) to keep the heart racing a bit. I have massive respect for this ten-year run..it makes A-Force look silly in comparison really. I obviously couldn't start from the beginning, I started reading in the middle and was amazed to encounter all of these great female characters (some created by Simone) that I didn't even know about or had just heard about vaguely before. I had to keep going to Wikipedia to grab all of these female characters' backstories, whether it was Spysmasher or Misfit, Manhunter or Black Alice or Judomaster or Knockout or Lady Shiva or False Face, etc, even Lady Blackhawk and Gypsy (neither of whom I'd read about in decades) and that was just the tip of the iceberg I'm sure. Here are a couple of the hot covers of some of the issues I've read online:
Rose and Thorn
Manhunter
Black Alice - the concept is so hot...each time she transforms it's a different costume, and she does it because of t**n angst and rage!
Canary & Huntress w/Lady Blackhawk
Lady Blackhawk is drugged and hypnotized to become the villainess Queen Killer Shark (yup, lack of consent!)
Quick appreciation for how hot Lady Blackhawk is in her aviatrix costume:
shevek
Producer
Producer

My friends. Drop whatever you are doing and pick up the latest Mockingbird issue which came out last month (#2). The all-female team behind this book must have some kinky fantasies..along with a good sense of humor. New contender for sexiest superheroine.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Well, you have to take the good with the bad. Remember I said I'd check out some of Gail Simone's Red Sonja stuff? Well, I did. I read the Queen of Plagues and Legends of Red Sonja trades. Let's preface this by saying that if you weren't aware, Gail Simone has turned around the very origin and purpose of the Red Sonja character. Her old origin was gaining fighting powers from the red goddess Scathach after she saw her village burned and her family killed and she was raped. In order to be successful in battle she could never have sex with a man unless she was defeated by him in battle. Which meant that she did not have sex hardly at all. This made her an object of unattainable desire, which was hot, and she almost always wore the bikini chainmail armor. But that was the old Sonja from the 70 through the 90s.

No more. Gail Simone (whom I thought did a pretty excellent job with her long Birds of Prey run, actually) has turned Red Sonja into a *literal* Social Justice Warrior. In the Red Sonja #1973 comic (a special 48-page special at the end of the most recent Dynamite Comics run) all the stories are about her triumphing in instances of social justice. She teaches a boy not to beat his mother, fights off sexual advances from a barbarian, and leads a group of Nubile Barbarian warrior woman slaves to an improbable freedom. She says things which might as well be feminist tweet memes like "I am not a plaything" and the cliched "better to die on your feet than live on your knees, or on your back" (is it? really?). She makes a quip against men who want women to remove body hair. Simone really lays it on uber-thick: men are pigs, the vast majority of them are disposable (and get killed), and they have little or no redeeming qualities. Almost every strong character is a woman (like Birds of Prey, but without the redeeming humor and sexiness). Sonja still can't get laid very much, but not because she needs to be defeated in battle - there's just a running gag in the Simone run that Sonja stinks to high heaven from her sweaty adventures but doesn't realize it when she calls over a man (her cook, an obvious subordinate..so it's apparently OK for her to use men below her station as a 'plaything') to do the deed.

So, on to Queen of Plagues, as the cover is depicted below.
In the book, there is exactly *one* man who is praised, the decent King Dimath who frees Sonja and her battle-friend Anissia, who reminds me a lot of the dreadlocked lesbian Clarke from the TV show The 100.
And he winds up dying also. All the other men are total pigs. There is no real peril or danger except at the very beginning where Sonja and Anissia are depicted hanging from chains in the evil ruler's dungeon, but even that scene is de-sexified - they are dirtied up, made to look ugle (Simone says so in her notes) and totally desexualized. One saving grace of this book is the art by Walter Geovani (who knows how to draw sexy a la Witchblade and Vampirella), the art is exquisite. But there is a lot of care taken (and I'll bet it's at Simone's direction) not to depict any sexualized poses. Sonja does appear in her bikini chain mail for a short time at the beginning, and there are some cheescake alternate covers in the back, but otherwise than that, we're not supposed to get our jollies off about anything except her eventual triumph (although one nice artistic touch is the "plague mask" she wears for some of the book..it's consistent with the current trendy "painted-on mask" look - see The Wicked and the Divine, for example - that some superheroes seem to have nowadays). Sonja is also depicted for the first time (I think?) as somewhat sexually fluid: she does indulge in a full-page lesbian kiss with friend Anissia, but again, there is nothing prurient about it whatsoever, it is just a heartfelt expression. Finally, there are the twins Nia and Ayla (sly Clan of the Cave Bear reference?), t**nage warrior women (not shapely, they're thin and willowy with zero sexuality about them) who come to be Sonja's women-at-arms, adept with arrows and eventually with swords, they become the "generals" of an all-female army that liberates their city, and then become the new rulers of it at Sonja's behest. And the most important relationship is the one between two women who bond as sisters (not unlike the Kara/Alex dynamic on Supergirl). Girls of all ages rule, is the message here.

The other trade book I read is Legends of Red Sonja. Every story is written by a female writer, although there are some male artists. Here, once again, Sonja is never in danger or peril. She saves girls and women from assaults and perverts, etc like a one-woman crusade against Rape Culture. In each succeeding tale, she is utterly triumphant, and all the men are almost superstitiously afraid of her bloody she-devil reputation. We do see a bit more of the chain-mail armor though.
I suppose I could cautiously recommend these books, as they are still fun reads. Just don't expect to get your jollies off them much.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Trying to remember the last time I read a comic where the hero was fighting against justice. If that's you're priority you won't find too many. :D

That Red Sonja does look good though. Mockingbird's current run does too, from what I've seen of the first four anyway (which isn't much just the covers and the blerb about the stories).
shevek
Producer
Producer

Another sexy collection is Power Girl: Power Trip, which puts together a bunch of 2009/10 stuff: JSA Classified 1-4 and Power Girl Vol. 2 1-12. We all know Karen Starr is the hottest & sassiest major heroines in the DCU and it shows here, big time, both sexy and funny. There's boob windows on every page (probably the last time you'll see it, right? because the World's Finest collection above no longer has it). There are multiple times when she sexily changes in and out of costume (including once where a secret voyeur takes photos of it). She is put in peril to within an inch of her life by the Ultra-Humanite. There's an issue called "Space Girls Gone Wild". She is constantly sexually harrassed and propositioned on the subway, the streets, even in the middle of battles, but it's not preachy and it's played off for laughs as it should be, given that this is a humorous book. We even see her put on a really hot dress as she is wooed by the alien monarch Vartox. There are sexy villainesses like Satana (and my fave villainess cameo is Zoraida, a teenager who turns herself into an environmentalist Elf Queen using a magic book..hope she returns sometime!) and Power Girl even has a hella-cute sidekick, Atlee (aka the new Terra), who turns up later as one of Kori's hot buddy-girls in the 2015 Starfire series I plugged above. I got this out of the library but it's so good, I'm ordering one and reading the rest of the Power Girl 2011 run. Check ya Girl out!
tiny sexy Atlee kicks ass
shevek
Producer
Producer

Power Girl continues to be by far the sexiest heroine in the DC Universe. That version in World's Finest with the full-body costume might be from an alternate timeline or something, but in 2015 Power Girl continued to flaunt the boob window and even Harley Quinn took note, as she designed a new, more superheroiney costume which also has a cleavage hole. Together Pee Gee and Harley star in a very sexy 6-issue miniseries (the whole tale takes place between panels 3 and 4 of page 20 of Harley Quinn #12!!) where they go back to the planet run by Vartox (who had pursued Power Girl as a mate in Power Trip). Stephanie Roux's art is great when she's drawing closeups but when the characters are farther away they get a little bit too stick-figurey. Minor quibble, though.

Written by Amanda Conner and rated T for T**n..but apparently they have no problem making reference to cameltoe, fruit-flavored lubricants, buttplugs, lolliopops shaped like penises, massive erections, a lusty moon covering with phallic shaped buildings, a porn 'stache, form-fitting fetish raiments', and 'fro-yo' (swallowing cum) all within six issues. Basically resurrecting the kind of humor we used to love in Penthouse Comix. Hilarious!
Then there's the lovely addition of Vartox's own superheroine squad, his Ex-Girlfriend Force. (aka "team Estro-Fest" or "the Glory Whores", etc.)
Naturally they're all jealous of Power Girl :)
And there's the evil squad of sexy attack nuns with guns:
This comic series could just straight be adapted into an awesome superheroine sex video.
tropiccity
Producer
Producer

Gotta say, I agree that the Mockingbird series looks pretty good so far. With issue 2 being "sexy as hell"!!

Also liked the Harley Quinn and Powergirl Series.

Anyone every seen the comics by Boundless? Some of them are just excuses to have naked girls having sex in comics, but I kinda liked the newest one, Hellina. Don't get me wrong. Jungle Fantasy Vixens was fun to look at, but the store was questionable. Was there a story??

Tropic City
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Tropic City Heroines
http://www.tropiccityheroines.com
Follow us on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/baldeagleprod - @baldeagleprod
Always available for customs
shevek
Producer
Producer

Good call, Tropic City, on the Avatar/Boundless line. Those comics read like it's still the 90s (which was a most wonderful time). Hellina is good but my favorite is Webwitch (think Alien/Species meets SpiderWomen). I read a bunch of Boundless stuff online but it looks like those issues have all been pulled off - perhaps Boundless is aggressive about that, I'm not sure.

I just picked up the Velocity trade.. she is quite a cutie and her sister ain't bad looking either (from Cyberforce/Top Cow/Image)

I also somehow just found out about Invincible.
Atom Eve is my new favorite sexy heroine. She's all the more relatable because she worries about things like weight gain and pooping, but is still really visually appealing (how many other comics would even dress a heroine in a pink costume at this point?).
Invincible loves his wife's big ass:

And yes Imagineer, so far I've steered away from the 2014 She-Hulk..but I bought the 2004-05 trade which is pretty thick at $35. It's pretty enjoyable, especially the origin of Titania. Jennifer Walters/She Hulk is simply the hottest female character Marvel has ever created. Try to challenge that notion!
shevek
Producer
Producer

One of the sexiest comic books ever made is out now currently. It's called Sunstone. It's not a superheroine comic at all, but rather it's about a BDSM love story between two women, Alison and Lisa, who always wanted to try dom and sub roles but never had the courage to do it until they met each other.
I'm on issue 2 right now. It's of interest to the superheroine crowd because of fetish and bondage and because many of their costumes have a very tight superheroiney feel. It's also a bit about dual identity because you see these women (and various other characters) in their vanilla clothing and then they change into their BDSM gear and watch out. Now I'm wondering when will creators go the next logical and write a meta-book that is actually ABOUT superheroine fetish. Not just Jackpot's husband fucking her in her costume :)

Here's an example of what I'm talking about re Sunstone. And that is just one page - the whole comic is like that issue after issue.

shevek
Producer
Producer

Here is what I'd call a "transformation" page. I'm now on issue 3. The sophisticated level of sex talk is addictive. These are also some of the sexiest hairstyles I've ever seen drawn in comics. There's no other comic I know that even comes close to this sensual intensity..if you hadn't noticed, everything is drawn so *red* that it's like watching an engorged labia in action.

Beyond the fact that there are alter-egos and secret/masked identities in BDSM, which relates to the superhero world, another theme in this comic seems to be the need to go beyond just using terms like straight and lesbian when dealing with BDSM. The main characters seem to be straight but the world of BSDM makes them automatically bisexual because in that world it's not about what sex you are, it's about whether you are a dom or a sub, so the dichotomy changes. Sunstone will really teach you a lot about this stuff if you're unaware.

Please suggest another comic like this if you know of one, because I am now officially spoiled. This is a deep complex love story, so involved that at times I was on the verge of crying. Imagine if every superhero comic was depicted at this level! Plus, this comic has been praised as being super-feminist as well. So there is some incredible sex-positive common ground here (at least in the "gaze" dept).
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

I created a section called Comic Books but maybe it should just be Comics? Since a lot of them are online?

shevek
Producer
Producer

It probably should just be comics. A lot are online.
But why aren't the Sunstone images appearing in this thread? They worked in the preview function.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

shevek wrote:It probably should just be comics. A lot are online.
But why aren't the Sunstone images appearing in this thread? They worked in the preview function.
Some sites block hot-linking to their pictures. Sometimes this happens with a script that detects an outside IP referencing the image directly and then will block it. It's extreme and not done very often.

Please put all responses here from now on:

viewforum.php?f=82

Thread will be Locke-d!
merlin217
Neophyte
Neophyte

Great post! been looking to read a few heroine comics lately. Especially appreciate the fact that you mentioned the level of peril on each comic series. Definitely going to check out jackpot and powergirl