40 top Star Wars list

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/m ... haracters/

First disclaimer I do not read Esquire, but they came out with top 40 Star Wars characters

This is a vent

They have Luke at 12th.

I could get into a rant of Luke vs Rey

But they have Lando, chewie and Boba Fett and some droid also ahead of him

Please Luke is the key character in the original trilogy

If they want put Darth/Anakin of Kenobi ahead of him fine.

They put Leia first. sorry Leia is not as important as Luke and neither is Han
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago
https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/m ... haracters/

First disclaimer I do not read Esquire, but they came out with top 40 Star Wars characters

This is a vent

They have Luke at 12th.

I could get into a rant of Luke vs Rey

But they have Lando, chewie and Boba Fett and some droid also ahead of him

Please Luke is the key character in the original trilogy

If they want put Darth/Anakin of Kenobi ahead of him fine.

They put Leia first. sorry Leia is not as important as Luke and neither is Han

The 'Best' character in a series as ranked per the opinions of any randomly selected office of human beings is not the same thing as ranking the 'most important' characters in said series nor should it be examined as anything more than opinion of a groups collective favorites.

As purely random example, everybody knows the most important character in the Harry Potter saga is the titular character, but the BEST character is Ronald Weasley......

Im kidding im kidding...

It's Luna Lovegood.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

A Luna spinoff might be good a bit darker, sexier sort of sherlock meets event horizon meets lotr

....if that makes any sense, which I suspect it doesn't
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Not a terrible list.Can't really argue with the top five. Leia, Han, Vader, Yoda and Rey are the reasons the series has endured. The writing for the new trilogy has fucking sucked at various intervals, but Rey has generally always held up as a good character even while the universe, characters and rules have changed around her.

There's a case to be made that Han's character is fatally diminished by the special editions though. Remember kids, Han did not shoot first, Han was the only one who shot at all.

Really though, jokes on anybody who ever gave a shit. I mean really what are these movies even about if Anakin can be lost, redeemed and sacrificed to save his son/the galaxy and the fucking Big Bad Guy he killed three movies ago just pops back up off screen in the opening crawl?

And that's not a spoiler, it's in the opening crawl. Fucking hacks.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish wrote:
4 years ago
There's a case to be made that Han's character is fatally diminished by the special editions though. Remember kids, Han did not shoot first, Han was the only one who shot at all.
This has always been one of the things that rings out to me as a problem with the Fans of Star Wars. As a general rule, we/they tend to spend more time nit picking than examining actual problems. Whether or not Han Shot first doesn't really matter to me. He shot the dude dead, that's a more important character statement than when or how he shot... but I acknowledge the oddity that is feeling the urge to twerk with already completed footage thirty years later... that's equally as silly to me as being bothered by the order of gunfire.

It turns up to eleven in say, The Last Jedi, where fans are so hung up over bombs dropping in a vacuum they've LONG accepted carries sound, that they are failing to actually identify the cause of the lasting damage that film did to this 'trilogy'. No nitpick has the power to destroy a franchise. Han shooting first or second doesn't impact anything else around it, similarly bombs dropping in space, Leah floating through space with the force. etc. don't impact the trilogies ability to tell a story............. refusing to acknowledge or build upon the stories that came before them however, that's not a nit pick, that's an outright SIN...

It's hard for me to give JJ TO much crap for throwing TLJ out in that way where Johnson sort of EARNED that slap to the face for having already slapped JJ in the face when TLJ pretty much shat all over The Force Awakens... BUT, Rise of Skywalker IS to TLJ what TLJ was to TFA... a film that takes nothing from its predecessor... ackgnowledging only that its predacessor gave it no legs to stand on...

Red Letter Media's review of RoS said it best IMO, they note how this film had to spend all its time doing what the last movie (TLJ) was SUPPOSED to do and didn't, I.E. Set up a climax. It was DOOMED from the start.

Oh oh, right... um... and ah Luke Skywalker deserved better! Surely had his outing in TLJ been better this list would have had no choice but to give him his rightful space as number 1 on EVERY top ten list!!!!!! But seriously, is he anybody's FAVORITE character? THAT'S what this list is asking! How often is the protagonist of a film any individuals FAVORITE? I mean from my perspective Chewbacca's a more interesting character than Luke in almost every way. Mysterious cause we can't understand him, he's consigned himself to slavery to Han and we don't understand how, or even WHY he would do such a thing (Well, didn't until we saw the underwhelming answer in Solo... dunno that I personally feel 'mutual prison break' is life debt material but... eh. Luke's a pretty stereotypical farmboy turned knight fantasy protagonist. He's functional, inoffensive enough that its probable he's a more beloved character than any on an 'average' curve but unlikely to be #1 on many people's personal lists. More like he just ranks high more often than some others...

IDK that I think Princess Leah actually deserves slot 1 either... she doesn't actually DO much in comparison to the other characters besides challenge some gender norms of the 70's and 80'a.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
4 years ago
Dogfish wrote:
4 years ago
This has always been one of the things that rings out to me as a problem with the Fans of Star Wars. As a general rule, we/they tend to spend more time nit picking than examining actual problems. Whether or not Han Shot first doesn't really matter to me. He shot the dude dead, that's a more important character statement than when or how he shot... but I acknowledge the oddity that is feeling the urge to twerk with already completed footage thirty years later... that's equally as silly to me as being bothered by the order of gunfire.

It turns up to eleven in say, The Last Jedi, where fans are so hung up over bombs dropping in a vacuum they've LONG accepted carries sound, that they are failing to actually identify the cause of the lasting damage that film did to this 'trilogy'. No nitpick has the power to destroy a franchise. Han shooting first or second doesn't impact anything else around it, similarly bombs dropping in space, Leah floating through space with the force. etc. don't impact the trilogies ability to tell a story............. refusing to acknowledge or build upon the stories that came before them however, that's not a nit pick, that's an outright SIN...

It's hard for me to give JJ TO much crap for throwing TLJ out in that way where Johnson sort of EARNED that slap to the face for having already slapped JJ in the face when TLJ pretty much shat all over The Force Awakens... BUT, Rise of Skywalker IS to TLJ what TLJ was to TFA... a film that takes nothing from its predecessor... ackgnowledging only that its predacessor gave it no legs to stand on...

Red Letter Media's review of RoS said it best IMO, they note how this film had to spend all its time doing what the last movie (TLJ) was SUPPOSED to do and didn't, I.E. Set up a climax. It was DOOMED from the start.

Oh oh, right... um... and ah Luke Skywalker deserved better! Surely had his outing in TLJ been better this list would have had no choice but to give him his rightful space as number 1 on EVERY top ten list!!!!!! But seriously, is he anybody's FAVORITE character? THAT'S what this list is asking! How often is the protagonist of a film any individuals FAVORITE? I mean from my perspective Chewbacca's a more interesting character than Luke in almost every way. Mysterious cause we can't understand him, he's consigned himself to slavery to Han and we don't understand how, or even WHY he would do such a thing (Well, didn't until we saw the underwhelming answer in Solo... dunno that I personally feel 'mutual prison break' is life debt material but... eh. Luke's a pretty stereotypical farmboy turned knight fantasy protagonist. He's functional, inoffensive enough that its probable he's a more beloved character than any on an 'average' curve but unlikely to be #1 on many people's personal lists. More like he just ranks high more often than some others...

IDK that I think Princess Leah actually deserves slot 1 either... she doesn't actually DO much in comparison to the other characters besides challenge some gender norms of the 70's and 80'a.
Luke happens to be mine, so you have at least one. when I started this vent it was a lot of the ranking. Llando is not that an important character and is not even needed in the 2nd death Star fight the more likeable Wedge could have led it. In the books Wedge plays a much bigger role. Qui Gong is 30 on this list. I know Esquire is a women's magazine but I have heard many female fans hate on Rey.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago
I know Esquire is a women's magazine but I have heard many female fans hate on Rey.
What you've heard are many man-baby videos and imagine them as female.

People who just point out the mary sue nature of Rey doesn't equate to hating on Rey (unless there's more to it, like actual hate).

But go ahead, here's your chance to post some links that prove your above statement.
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I don't want to go full Shevek (never go full Shevek) but these chaps do a good video about the new trilogy and some of its story flaws

Last edited by lionbadger 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

theScribbler wrote:
4 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago
I know Esquire is a women's magazine but I have heard many female fans hate on Rey.

People who just point out the mary sue nature of Rey doesn't equate to hating on Rey (unless there's more to it, like actual hate).

But go ahead, here's your chance to post some links that prove your above statement.
I'll give you two You Tubers

That Star Wars Girl and Mecha Random 42
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago
theScribbler wrote:
4 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago

'Two' isn't remotely close to 'many,' and those aren't links (post the links).
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

theScribbler wrote:
4 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago
theScribbler wrote:
4 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago

You can google your own research. I gave you two prominent You Tubers
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

It's the holiday season, guys. Be of good cheer, eh?
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago
theScribbler wrote:
4 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago
theScribbler wrote:
4 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago

I don't have to google. And I don't want to look thru all their videos. Link to the one of each where they hate on Rey. Burden of proof is on you. What's the matter? You don't know how to post a link?

And again. Two female man-baby style videos is not MANY. Plus some man-baby probably wrote for them what to say.
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

theScribbler wrote:
4 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago
theScribbler wrote:
4 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago
theScribbler wrote:
4 years ago

I don't have to google. And I don't want to look thru all their videos. Link to the one of each where they hate on Rey. Burden of proof is on you. What's the matter? You don't know how to post a link?

And again. Two female man-baby style videos is not MANY. Plus some man-baby probably wrote for them what to say.
Nope burden is on you. I am confident in my assertion and have given you two critics. You have not provided a counter argument
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago
theScribbler wrote:
4 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago
theScribbler wrote:
4 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago

Nope burden is on you. I am confident in my assertion and have given you two critics. You have not provided a counter argument
Not an argument.
Your assertion is unproven still. That's all.

You made the statement. Burden is on you to prove 'MANY.' You can't even prove your claimed measley two videos exist.

But I get it. You can't do it. Not a surprise. I win. You lose.
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Ok guys season of good will etc etc. Although the rest of that refers to all men, let's assume they mean all forum members too.
Nobody's right and nobody is wrong because I'm right and you are all wrong, simple as.
No arguments here please, I come here to get away from real world shit.
It's a new year in 24hrs let's all turn over a new leaf.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Burden of 'proof' is hardly on anyone in a superheroine smut forum you ask me xD. I've been to Disneyland though, and Rey seems plenty popular there... I DO see lots of youtube lady rants about how Rey is a Mary Sue though... but all of them are in that same right wing 'alt' circle of tubers who like to rant about these sorts of things in the same way dissatisfied men would rant about Brie Larson or Antifa... emphasis on the Antifa and you get an idea of the types of women we're talking about here... but women nonetheless.

They also, like many of the same male viewers who complain about the issue, don't actually understand what a Mary Sue actually factually is... but I digress.

But for the record, Rey isn't a good character. There I said it. She had promise in TFA, as did several others... but like ALL the characters in this train wreck of a behind-the-scenes production spat gone bananas, she comes out of it worse for wear... and that includes the OG characters who were dragged into it. But she's no WORSE than any of the other characters either.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Luke is also a mary sue, altho he's a gay male one. Had the hots for his twin sister in Ep 4, but that's because she was his twin so he was attracted to himself via her (granted he didn't know it at the time). After that, no interest in any woman. Where'd he come out on the list. Pretty low I'd imagine.
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

theScribbler wrote:
4 years ago
Luke is also a mary sue, altho he's a gay male one. Had the hots for his twin sister in Ep 4, but that's because she was his twin so he was attracted to himself via her (granted he didn't know it at the time). After that, no interest in any woman. Where'd he come out on the list. Pretty low I'd imagine.
IDK if pointing out the bad changes they made to Luke for the retcon of the old EU works well as a battlecry against Rey since she's ALSO part of the retcon... Luke in the old EU was married to the sexiest Star Wars character ever invented... so telling a Luke fan 'yeah well Luke might be gay in the new canon' is sort of a 'Yes I know, that's part of why I'm annoyed' situation. xD

#JusticeforMaraJadeSkywalker #RIPEU
shevek
Producer
Producer

So, let me see now:

1) Lionbadger, the kids call that 'never go full....' line a 'low-key diss'. Like Jay-Z. :)

2) Scribbler - the main female adherents of 'The Fandom Menace' to which Dazzle refers are: Anna That Star Wars Girl, Mecha Random 42, Dannphan (Trisha Cuffari), Nerdette, Geeky Sparkle (Clownfish TV) and Jessi Milestone (Mindless Entertainment). They comprise about 1/3 of the Youtubers who have 'skeptical' views about topics like Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, She-Ra, mainstream comic book companies, and the like.

Three of them are fans of our video series, and one of them has helped us quite a lot, above and beyond the call of duty.

3) Although she has a lot of fans (I see her share of cosplayers at every Con), it is also quite easy to find pop-culture critics who don't like Rey as a character. I just don't feel invested enough in that whole universe to care. That's why when someone asks me what my favorite character in Star Wars is, I will say something offhand and goofy like 'Biggs Darklighter', 'R5D4', 'Nalan Cheel', 'Itchy' or 'Halla' (yes I read Splinter of the Mind's Eye the year it came out) because I don't really care that much - I liked Star Trek better for 30 years (up until Discovery).

However, I do know that the Mandalorian is excellent (fans clear across the political spectrum agree on this one thing) and has stirred up excitement about the property that I haven't felt since the late 1980s. If you don't feel your heart swell up with cheer while watching that show, you are probably practicing some kind of extremist Vulcan mind discipline.

4) Femina - you are correct. Mara Jade is by far the sexiest woman ever in Star Wars. She is the jackpot and Luke is the tiger. And more's the pity that she'll probably never be portrayed in any live-action scenario.

OK, back to discussing the listicle.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
4 years ago

2) Scribbler - the main female adherents of 'The Fandom Menace' to which Dazzle refers are: Anna That Star Wars Girl, Mecha Random 42, Dannphan (Trisha Cuffari), Nerdette, Geeky Sparkle (Clownfish TV) and Jessi Milestone (Mindless Entertainment). They comprise about 1/3 of the Youtubers who have 'skeptical' views about topics like Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, She-Ra, mainstream comic book companies, and the like.
Well, is it 'skepical' views, or critical views, or is it 'hating on Rey.' There is a difference. Can you link to a 'hating on Rey' video by That Star Wars Girl or Mecha Random 42?
shevek wrote:
4 years ago
3) Although she has a lot of fans (I see her share of cosplayers at every Con), it is also quite easy to find pop-culture critics who don't like Rey as a character.
A statement that can apply to oh so many characters (or songs, or Star Wars movies in general, or numerous things) it's practically valueless to say. Everyone's got opinions on what they like and don't like, are fan of or not a fan of.
shevek wrote:
4 years ago
4) Femina - you are correct. Mara Jade is by far the sexiest woman ever in Star Wars. She is the jackpot and Luke is the tiger. And more's the pity that she'll probably never be portrayed in any live-action scenario.
So naturally I had to go find some images of sexiest woman ever in Star Wars. Unlike Leia, who is actually IN Star Wars movie, in the bikini, Mara's only represented in text, art and toys in what I guess is non canon SW universe. Don't know who created her character, or when, but she looks fine, and reminds me a whole lot of Scarlett from GI Joe...
gijoe-scarlett-poster1_1246059679.jpg
gijoe-scarlett-poster1_1246059679.jpg (264.55 KiB) Viewed 3042 times
Choices_of_One_PB_art.jpg
Choices_of_One_PB_art.jpg (510.33 KiB) Viewed 3042 times
After the Black Widow movie comes out, they should make a GI Joe Scarlett movie with Rachel Nichols, followed by Famke Janssen reprising her Jean Grey character (they can use that de-aging vfx technique), and then a Mara Jade movie, and then a team up movie of all four. Yeah, I'd watch those!! :joker:
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Regarding Mara Jade, If they had Rey have some of Mara's flaws she would have been a far better character.

Mara makes mistakes has unresolved issues etc, and it took a long time for her to reach Master status.
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

shevek wrote:
4 years ago
So, let me see now:

1) Lionbadger, the kids call that 'never go full....' line a 'low-key diss'. Like Jay-Z. :)
Yeah, it's a hard knock life sun

:happy:
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Reminder that the emperor comes back to life in the opening crawl of movie nine. That's the standard of work that goes into a Star Wars movie.

There is not one single poster on this thread who would not have done a better job writing episode nine.

We are all fools for ever caring about any of this stuff.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

theScribbler wrote:
4 years ago
So naturally I had to go find some images of sexiest woman ever in Star Wars. Unlike Leia, who is actually IN Star Wars movie, in the bikini, Mara's only represented in text, art and toys in what I guess is non canon SW universe. Don't know who created her character, or when, but she looks fine, and reminds me a whole lot of Scarlett from GI Joe...
The creator would be Timathy Zahn, author of what many believe should have been episodes 7-9, the 'Thrawn' trilogy... (Which I only disagree with because the actors were to old to reprise their characters for this one... and recasting classic characters worked so well for Solo)

We actually did get Grand Admiral Thrawn (Also a Zahn creation invented at the same time) inserted into the new Canon via the Rebels television show though... so there still some hope that Jade will make it eventually......... though likely in a very different circumstance.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
4 years ago
theScribbler wrote:
4 years ago
The creator would be Timathy Zahn, author of what many believe should have been episodes 7-9, the 'Thrawn' trilogy... (Which I only disagree with because the actors were to old to reprise their characters for this one... and recasting classic characters worked so well for Solo)

We actually did get Grand Admiral Thrawn (Also a Zahn creation invented at the same time) inserted into the new Canon via the Rebels television show though... so there still some hope that Jade will make it eventually......... though likely in a very different circumstance.
You are right about iconic roles with new actors. Abrams Star Trek comes to mind.

But it can work:

Costners Elliot Ness
Ford's Richard Kimball

the reason people like me said even before we heard of Rey, do the Thrawn Trilogy is that is an original story with 3-5 new unique characters:

Thrawn, Mara, Jorus, Karrade and Winter
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago
Femina wrote:
4 years ago
theScribbler wrote:
4 years ago

You are right about iconic roles with new actors. Abrams Star Trek comes to mind.

But it can work:

Costners Elliot Ness
Ford's Richard Kimball

the reason people like me said even before we heard of Rey, do the Thrawn Trilogy is that is an original story with 3-5 new unique characters:

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here?

Elliot Ness was a REAL person who helped bring in Capone... that's not an iconic Costner role, its an iconic PERFORMANCE of a real human being who did something noteworthy... making a new movie staring Ness isn't recasting an iconic character as portrayed by an iconic actor...

As far as I'm aware the only Richard Kimball was Ford? Did they make a sequel to the Fugitive that I've never heard of?
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
4 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago
Femina wrote:
4 years ago
theScribbler wrote:
4 years ago

But it can work:

Costners Elliot Ness
Ford's Richard Kimball

Elliot Ness was a REAL person who helped bring in Capone... that's not an iconic Costner role, its an iconic PERFORMANCE of a real human being who did something noteworthy... making a new movie staring Ness isn't recasting an iconic character as portrayed by an iconic actor...

As far as I'm aware the only Richard Kimball was Ford? Did they make a sequel to the Fugitive that I've never heard of?
Robert Stack played Ness in the Untouchables tv series
The Fugitive was a TV series first
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago
Robert Stack played Ness in the Untouchables tv series
The Fugitive was a TV series first
I don't think these things equate the same way.

Again... Ness was a real person. It's hard to say 'this actor IS Eliot Ness!' when Eliot Ness was Eliot Ness and the Untouchables were, again, a REAL group of people. I mean, there's a horror-esque neo-noir steampunk video game series where you PLAY as Eliot Ness... hired by Al Capone to locate a family member! Eliot Ness isn't a 'character' he's a person whom became noteworthy enough that characters BASED ON HIM have come to fruition.

I never saw the Fugitive TV show... can't say anything about that.

Star Wars has always been a little different in this regard even since all the Ness examples above come from different creative iterations of the Untouchables and surrounding events. Recasting Luke in a DIRECT sequel is a bit different from recasting Luke in say... a RE-IMAGINING of Star Wars. I doubt I'd have the same compunctions about recasting Luke in that sort of circumstance............ not that I would actively want a whole new Star Wars canon >_> DISNEY I'M LOOKING AT YOU!
shevek
Producer
Producer

Femina wrote:
4 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago

Elliot Ness Kevin Costner
Ford's Richard Kimball

Dazzle is talking about both Harrison Ford reprising David Janssen's role as Richard Kimble from the Fugitive TV series,
and Kevin Costner reprising Robert Stack's role as Elliot Ness from the Untouchables TV series.

OK Scribbler. You asked me to find some videos among the female Fandom Menace members where there is criticism of Rey. Turns out there are many of them. Here are a handful. Please note that I am not responsible for the opinions of anyone in these videos. You asked to complete a task, so I did.

Anna That Star Wars Girl criticizes both Daisy Ridley the actress (for her belittling of the word 'tomboy') and Rey the character.

Mecha Random 42 has two Rey criticism vids in just the past three weeks, and several older ones as well.

Jessi has several on Rey, although she's just as down on Rose Tico and Kathleen Kennedy. The second video complains about how Disney wiped
away the Extended Universe which would have provided (in her opinion) much better female characters.

Nerdette just did a video about 'Reylo' a few minutes ago:

DannPhan29 has several Daisy and Rey-related videos, such as these:

Geeky Sparkle with her husband Kneon. One of several videos on Rey:

So I think I've at least been able to prove that all of these Youtubers have their specific criticisms of Rey. That's all I'm going to do. Again, I don't
really care that much about the Rey character, or about the recent Star Wars movies. So that's it for me in here, probably.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Slave Leia... too bad Jabba didn't get a better taste of that hot body...I bet he would have really left her a mental and physical mess!!! I wish Rey would have also been forced into some harem like humiliation or similar bondage but Disney.....
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Yup those are the women I was referring to. It's worth looking into their video topic history though to get an idea of their politics GLOBALLY, and not JUST what they think about Rey/Brie Larson/pop culture, because then you have a better frame of reference for the baseline of their criticisms on anything... I'm not saying then go and write a seven paragraph 'fuck you sex traitor!' comment underneath their videos or anything... but keep yourself informed. I don't personally find them to be valuable sources of information... particularly the gal in the fifth video down who spends 90% of her videos shouting at the top of her lungs, which is rarely a good sign of a balanced opinion.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Faintly tangential Star Wars news, it seems like John Boyega and Oscar Isaac are done with Disney's bullshit, have embraced the Carrie Fisher energy and are no longer giving any fucks. Which is good for them, both fine actors who will go onto great careers and don't need the bullshit.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
4 years ago
Yup those are the women I was referring to. It's worth looking into their video topic history though to get an idea of their politics GLOBALLY, and not JUST what they think about Rey/Brie Larson/pop culture, because then you have a better frame of reference for the baseline of their criticisms on anything... I'm not saying then go and write a seven paragraph 'fuck you sex traitor!' comment underneath their videos or anything... but keep yourself informed. I don't personally find them to be valuable sources of information... particularly the gal in the fifth video down who spends 90% of her videos shouting at the top of her lungs, which is rarely a good sign of a balanced opinion.
But they are seem to like Gadot's WonderWoman and several other female Led ones.

I don't remember any backlash to Hunger Games for the same reason the lead was well written

Take the Badlands as another examples, the main female characters were fleshed out had flaws and when the Widow beat Sunny in a fight, it made sense in the context.
NoonShadow
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

Dogfish wrote:
4 years ago
Faintly tangential Star Wars news, it seems like John Boyega and Oscar Isaac are done with Disney's bullshit, have embraced the Carrie Fisher energy and are no longer giving any fucks. Which is good for them, both fine actors who will go onto great careers and don't need the bullshit.
Very good actors, lots of charisma and screen presence. There's just nothing for their characters to do. The writing was so disjointed. Fin had a great backstory and a chance to be such an interesting character, but there's almost zero depth to where they went with him. I would have liked for him to explore the implications that every stormtrooper is potentially a brainwashed child soldier like him.

Good for both of them. Get out. Loads of talent and potential just wasted and mismanaged between the two of them.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
4 years ago
Femina wrote:
4 years ago
But they are seem to like Gadot's WonderWoman and several other female Led ones.

I don't remember any backlash to Hunger Games for the same reason the lead was well written

Take the Badlands as another examples, the main female characters were fleshed out had flaws and when the Widow beat Sunny in a fight, it made sense in the context.
So? I don't like Chocolate and Peanut Butter together but I like Butterfingers? That doesn't mean I should be blindly trusted for saying that Peanut Butter Cups are the most disgusting candy ever invented just because I scream it at the top of my lungs and point emphatically at Butterfingers as 'the solution'

I didn't say they were incapable of enjoying things, I said to 'be advised' as to their politics, because that's where the basis of their opinions derive from. It doesn't mean they can't enjoy things that I also enjoy.

Democrats and Republicans all over the world share a love of *shudders* Reeses Peanut Butter Cups... doesn't mean you can't make an educated guess their default opinion about immigration based on their ballot... doesn't mean you should JUDGE them for it either just to be very clear... but these particular women tend to make arguments that I find to be nonsense founded on information derived from non-sources, misquotes, or just THEMSELVES in that 'echo chamber' thing in order to further their agenda perspective and for THAT I find them of little perspective value to my own and suspect the same would be true of most like minded individuals encouraged to look at them as a good example of 'several woman who also don't like this or that'.

That's all I'm saying.
NoonShadow wrote:
4 years ago
Dogfish wrote:
4 years ago
Very good actors, lots of charisma and screen presence. There's just nothing for their characters to do. The writing was so disjointed. Fin had a great backstory and a chance to be such an interesting character, but there's almost zero depth to where they went with him. I would have liked for him to explore the implications that every stormtrooper is potentially a brainwashed child soldier like him.

Good for both of them. Get out. Loads of talent and potential just wasted and mismanaged between the two of them.
Give it a few decades before praising them to much for it. Ford dumps on Star Wars all the time... doesn't stop him returning for a paycheck.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I would love to run into John Boyega in a dark alley!!! So I could introduce him to my sister!!
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

batgirl1969 wrote:
4 years ago
I would love to run into John Boyega in a dark alley!!! So I could introduce him to my sister!!
Have you seen "Attack the Block" for some Boyega, Whittaker (Dr Who) action ?
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

lionbadger wrote:
4 years ago
batgirl1969 wrote:
4 years ago
Have you seen "Attack the Block" for some Boyega, Whittaker (Dr Who) action ?
no!!! is it Hot??? guess I will have to look for it now...hope she loved it