D.C. vs Marvel

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The consensus is that:

Marvel has done better at the live action movies and D.C. has done better in animation.

But what is better or more enjoyable for people?

Marvel Action or D.C animation.

For me it is D.C, especially the ones of 10 years ago like Justice League or Batman TAS
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I don't agree to the consensus above.
DC is superior (for me) to Marvel because of its heroines: Batgirl, Supergirl, Wonder Woman, Catwoman, Batwoman, Spoiler, Huntress (and of course Batman on the hero side)
What has Marvel to offer?
Only.... Spider-Girl, Spider-Gwen.........ok, Captain Marvel and Black Widow..........and that's pretty much it.
Marvel has only very few well-masked heroines :sad:

I do enjoy the movies from both companies in general. Both side had good ones.
DC had some real bad ones (Catwoman, Catwoman and Catwoman) but a lot more brilliant ones (Burton Batman movies, Nolan Batman movies).
Marvel had some good and bad ones as well. But no movie I watched more than 2 times so far.

I care less for the animated ones in general....even I did enjoy:
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
Batman: Bad Blood
Batman: Hush
Batman: The killing joke

.....for obvious reasons :w00t:
Last edited by Maskripper 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
the123
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I love both dc and marvel they are both the best and I am not a fan I just enjoy watching them.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I don't agree with the majority opinion either.

But it does seem dollar wise Marvel action does better
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Last edited by batgirl1969 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

batgirl1969 wrote:
3 years ago
DC!!! They have the hottest dudes..Batman, Superman & Shazam and the baddass chics! Batgirl, HQ, Catwoman, Mary Marvel, Supergirl, Zatanna, Raven.....the hot girls just go on and on...and lets not forget our favorite little Blonde...Star Girl!!! yummmy
Wait just a second, BG1969!! The crowning female star of the DC universe, Supergirl, gets shoved into a list like some idle passing thought and some wannabe newcomer who can only fly by surfing on an animated neon pogo stick gets all your glory and I'm supposed to sit back and smile at that?!!

"and lets not forget our favorite little Blonde...Star Girl!!!"

Favorite little blonde? Have you no loyalty at all. Easily beckoned by one quick crook of the finger by some Janey-come-lately.

You broke my heart, Fredo! You broke my heart!

:no:

Supergirl forever! :thumbup: :thumbup:

P.S. You didn't even name Wonder Woman! Gaaahh!!
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Damselbinder

I agree that DC's animation has produced better works and better storytelling than Marvel's films, on the whole, though I'm not sure the comparison is necessarily wholly fair. Batman TAS was moody, atmospheric and quite leisurely paced in places, its format allowing for a large, interesting cast, and some fun, original stories. But few of those would be suitable for a big tentpole movie. I'm sure you could write a more lowkey, less action-focused Batman film, but I don't think that would be what audiences would want. The best films in Marvel's catalogue are probably the Guardians of the Galaxy films, and I don't think those would work as a 30-minute-per week cartoon.

However, given that we're talking about television, I suppose the most directly fair comparisons that one could make would be between Marvel and DC's live action television serieses. Here I'm afraid I need to profess ignorance: while I've seen much of Marvel's stable, I've seen fairly little of DC's. For that reason, while I do have my opinions, I don't have great confidence in them. Nevertheless, from the little I have seen, the difference in quality is drastic. I don't love all of Marvel's shows: Iron Fist and The Defenders bored me to tears. I couldn't get into Jessica Jones' second season (a shame, since I loved the first). Nevertheless, even the bad ones seem like modern television. High production values, good quality scripts (mostly), good tradecraft, and mostly quite impressive acting. The DC shows come across like soaps, little different in sophistication or quality than the 20-year-old Smallville which came before. The costumes look cheaper, the scripts sound like mediocre episodes of Desperate Housewives, and the quality of the acting is... wanting. In the case of 'Titans' the entire project was laughably embarrassing. "Fuck Batman" indeed.

(I will say that the Watchmen series, which I haven't seen any of, did seem at least to match the production quality of any of its Marvel rivals, so there's that).
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Doom Patrol is keeping me interested even though a lot of the plots are nonsensical and silly at times. The show should drive me away but they do a good job on the soap opera elements. Not much fighting or action and I'm tired of every team member moping around feeling sorry for themselves. And they are woefully under utilizing Rita. That actress on Two and a Half men was hot. And Jane is just getting annoying at this point. But still it keeps me interested.

The animated DC has gone down hill since the new 52. Heck the last offering they don't even show the league being beaten in animation they show still shots. Now they are doing a new superman. How many times do we have to see a superman/batman origin story.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek
Producer
Producer

I did my own math on my own preferences over the past few decades, looking at comics, cartoons, live-action shows and films, and I have come up with this overall conclusion: D.C.

Which is ironic, because the best superhero TV show of the past decade is not Marvel or D.C. It is The Boys (Dynamite Comics).

And one can only hope, but if it's anything like the high quality of the comic, the best superhero animated show of the decade
might be Invincible (Image Comics), which is coming up later this year, as is a live version of Jupiter's Legacy (also Image).

Now, if only someone could do either a live-action show (imagine the level of spandex destruction and hot monkey sex) or an animated version of Empowered (Dark Horse Comics) for some adult-targeted channel, I could die happy.

So there's my assessment. I'm generally pretty happy with the Stargirl show, and the Superman & Lois idea seems promising too,
but with all of these intellectual properties flying off the pages of comic books nowadays, I'm looking forward to the day when it isn't an either/or proposition like voting Republican or Democrat, and that we'll actually have plenty of viable "third parties" when it comes to superheroic sagas.
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

batgirl1969 wrote:
3 years ago
DC!!! They have the hottest dudes..Batman, Superman & Shazam and the baddass chics! Batgirl, HQ, Catwoman, Mary Marvel, Supergirl, Zatanna, Raven.....the hot girls just go on and on...and lets not forget our favorite little Blonde...Star Girl!!! yummmy
You forgot Wonder Woman.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

There's something about the new animated Marvel that seems boring. Like Avengers Assemble for example. There isn't anything of consequence. All the shots are from the same angle, you rarely see feet, they talk, someone hits someone, they talk.. repeat. Thor hits someone with his hammer and it has no real consequence and they are back talking again. All the characters could be on any background. Its pretty obvious the same character is reused with different talking and backgrounds. Compare that to Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Where the action is very dynamic.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Have to second the distaste for DC's live action shows frankly... to me the DC shows feel, as mentioned by Damsilbinder above, like modern soaps. I recall when people were praising 'The Flash' like it was the second coming of comic book television and totally ignoring Marvel's 'Agent Carter' which in EVERY WAY was a superior product with better writing, acting, lighting, cinematography... the WORKS... with real tactile connections to its cinematic universe even (the only of the Marvel shows to be recognized in the films as well).

Agent Carter was dealing with themes of loss, coming to terms with the death of a loved one and coming into ones own as a hero in their own right, in their own way, in the shadow of a SUPERhero... while The Flash was airing silly plot lines like miraculously discovering that F.I.R.E.S.T.O.R.M. was an acronym after an awkward and contrived conversation about SCUBA diving (As though Google's filters were somehow missing it on this basis?).

... Yeah, DC's shows aren't so ashamed of their roots as to disguise the costumes and such, which is a definite plus for the FETISH I suppose... but EVERYTHING else about them is generally inferior to pretty much every other television show on the market... I couldn't even get into SUPERGIRL on any kind of reliable basis.

Can't comment MUCH on the cartoons cause my one and only true love in cartoons is Avatar: The Last Airbender and I've never been huge into either DC OR Marvel's animated outings... but I liked Teen Titans well enough in the old days to resent Teen Titans: Go... Yet even there we're kind of ignoring the heyday of the 90's X-Men and Spider-man years which I generally find people recalling with some twinkling nostalgia... plenty of sexy heroines in the X-Men too... Marvel's real issue with the gender imbalance up to this point has had a lot to do with the majority of their most popular heroines being X-Men.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

DC TV shows started out fairly good and have gone downhill in plot quality with their becoming more soap operas with costumed characters and pushing a moral agenda without caring about continuity or plot. There are just too many shows that don't sound like they are worth signing up to watch them off commercial TV or seeing them on YouTube.

DC live action movies aren't quite as bad as most people complain, but they could be better. Seriously considering the budget, they could get better writers and plots. They are more having good scenes, but unable to sustain a movie with enough of them.

Marvel movies are just better written and they are tied together to push the better aspects of story telling. Not all of them, but still better overall than what DC is doing.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I can't believe Agents of Shield is on season 7 and nobody discusses the show.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
I can't believe Agents of Shield is on season 7 and nobody discusses the show.
It hasn't been as good as previous seasons with best being the 1950s at Area 51 where Simmons pretended to be S.H.I.E.L.D. Director Carter until her old partner shows up. They did make nice references to past Marvel Universe stories going forward from the 1930s through history, but most episodes aren't well written as they have too much they are trying to do with this being the end.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

It may be (at least for me) You can have more flexbility and story telling with animation, even with the improved special effects.

Except for when we get into the erotica we all enjoy, I find animation more entertaining
shevek
Producer
Producer

Femina wrote:
3 years ago
Yet even there we're kind of ignoring the heyday of the 90's X-Men and Spider-man years which I generally find people recalling with some twinkling nostalgia... plenty of sexy heroines in the X-Men too... Marvel's real issue with the gender imbalance up to this point has had a lot to do with the majority of their most popular heroines being X-Men.
Seconded!

Also re Agents of Shield, they flubbed the spinoff that would have been led by Mockingbird/Adrienne Palicki. We might not have gotten to see her in The Orville, though, so just evens.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
3 years ago
Femina wrote:
3 years ago
Yet even there we're kind of ignoring the heyday of the 90's X-Men and Spider-man years which I generally find people recalling with some twinkling nostalgia... plenty of sexy heroines in the X-Men too... Marvel's real issue with the gender imbalance up to this point has had a lot to do with the majority of their most popular heroines being X-Men.
Seconded!

Also re Agents of Shield, they flubbed the spinoff that would have been led by Mockingbird/Adrienne Palicki. We might not have gotten to see her in The Orville, though, so just evens.
If you look at the Marvel heroines. You have the female X men, Black Widow Scarlet Witch and than some who have a mixed reaction: Captain Marvel but no iconic ones

D.C has Wonder Woman, Batgirl and Super Girl
Damselbinder

What about Spider-Woman? She-Hulk? Or the Invisible Woman?
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago

If you look at the Marvel heroines. You have the female X men, Black Widow Scarlet Witch and than some who have a mixed reaction: Captain Marvel but no iconic ones

Yes all three with their own brand, rogues gallery and/or identifiable power sets. Unlike Scarlet Witch or Capt Marvel who have wacky, OP power sets that no one understands these three are easily understood by a novice.

Also DC characters like these tend to be more iconic than Marvel figures. Wonder Woman is an icon of nobility or honor etc. Supergirl is an icon of goodness. However Marvel heroines tend to be more women wearing a jump suit and have super powers. For DC characters it tends to be the superhero first and their human identity second where as Marvel seems to be the human identity first and they happen to be heroes second.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago

That's a bit misleading though. As written it reads "Marvel has almost no female characters of importance just 'the Female x-men' and these other 3 heroines nobody here much cares about.... while DC has 'the big threee'

But what it actually reads as is

ahem

"Marvel has - Jean Grey, Rogue, Storm, Psylocke, Jubilee, Emma Frost, Polaris, Kitty Pride, Mystique, Vertigo, X-23, Pixie, Siryn, M, Wolfsbane, Dazzler, Magma, Magik, Husk, Rachel Grey, Hope Summers, Sage, Domino, Marrow, Blink, Surge, Dust, Boom Boom, Spiral, Lady Deathstrike, Viper, Kwannon, Moonstar, Karma, Madalyn Pryor, Lady Mastermind, Meggan, Destiny, Deathbird, Snowbird, Shard... etc. etc. etc... - Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, and Captain Marvel...

While DC Has aaaaaaaaaall of theeeeeeeeese Wonder Woman! Batgirl! Super Girl!!!

xD my original point stands. The problem with the imbalance in Marvel's genders to this point is the majority of their big name nostalgia driven female heroines are all X-Men, which until recently hasn't been within their rights to make an enormous profit off of.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
3 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago

That's a bit misleading though. As written it reads "Marvel has almost no female characters of importance just 'the Female x-men' and these other 3 heroines nobody here much cares about.... while DC has 'the big threee'

But what it actually reads as is

ahem

"Marvel has - Jean Grey, Rogue, Storm, Psylocke, Jubilee, Emma Frost, Polaris, Kitty Pride, Mystique, Vertigo, X-23, Pixie, Siryn, M, Wolfsbane, Dazzler, Magma, Magik, Husk, Rachel Grey, Hope Summers, Sage, Domino, Marrow, Blink, Surge, Dust, Boom Boom, Spiral, Lady Deathstrike, Viper, Kwannon, Moonstar, Karma, Madalyn Pryor, Lady Mastermind, Meggan, Destiny, Deathbird, Snowbird, Shard... etc. etc. etc... - Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, and Captain Marvel...

While DC Has aaaaaaaaaall of theeeeeeeeese Wonder Woman! Batgirl! Super Girl!!!

xD my original point stands. The problem with the imbalance in Marvel's genders to this point is the majority of their big name nostalgia driven female heroines are all X-Men, which until recently hasn't been within their rights to make an enormous profit off of.
And I could add all the D>C second and third tier: Star Girl, Hawk Girl Zatana etc.

The point I was making is that D.C has always made the superheroine more prominent
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

batgirl1969 wrote:
3 years ago
I will say...Marvel has MORE innocent petite hot Blondes, Sue Storm, White Queen, Magik, The Stepford Cuckoos, Dazzler, Danvers, Lady Blackhawk, mockingbird, dagger, sharon carter, Julia carpenter, Snowbird, american dream, Thor Girl, Namorita, Valkyrie, lady deadpool, gwen stacy, Black Cat,

someone at Marvel has a blonde kink fetish...but who can blame them, As a black haired brunette myself, I just honestly think Heroines look so much more pure, innocent, upstanding and sexy in their skin tight or near to nothing costume....One chic that I am surprised doesn't get more attention is Magik....she is amazing!!!
Do you want your heroines innocent or more streetwise and dominant? The latter are more fun to conquer
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
And I could add all the D>C second and third tier: Star Girl, Hawk Girl Zatana etc.
The point I was making is that D.C has always made the superheroine more prominent
I'd say at least 8 names in there were pretty big in the 90's and nostalgia driven enough to stand on their own this side of the web.

You're missing my point though. It's not that its a list of 'second string' characters... it's that ALL 50ish of those names were X-MEN specifically.

People don't realize just how much of Marvel's roster are X-MEN... in the old days the Avengers barely registered, Defenders who? Agents of What? Marvel WAS the X-MEN for a long while with just a few outliers (Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, etc.) So just being like 'Marvel's only got the X-Gals and a couple names that are only growing today cause of the MCU while DC has the holy trinity of 60's televised nostalgia... the X-MEN are an ENORMOUS Superheroine resource that's fallen out of the zeitgeist because the Fox films did everything they could to make the X-films as deliberately disconnected from 'superheroes' as they could without just stripping everyone of their powers altogether.

Just you wait. If Marvel plays their chips right and does the new age of MCU X-MEN appropriately superheroes, unique costumes and all, we may very well all be reminded of why they were so beloved in the 90's as they were and start seeing X-MEN themed junk here on the site more prominently.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
3 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
I'd say at least 8 names in there were pretty big in the 90's and nostalgia driven enough to stand on their own this side of the web.

You're missing my point though. It's not that its a list of 'second string' characters... it's that ALL 50ish of those names were X-MEN specifically.

People don't realize just how much of Marvel's roster are X-MEN... in the old days the Avengers barely registered, Defenders who? Agents of What? Marvel WAS the X-MEN for a long while with just a few outliers (Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, etc.) So just being like 'Marvel's only got the X-Gals and a couple names that are only growing today cause of the MCU while DC has the holy trinity of 60's televised nostalgia... the X-MEN are an ENORMOUS Superheroine resource that's fallen out of the zeitgeist because the Fox films did everything they could to make the X-films as deliberately disconnected from 'superheroes' as they could without just stripping everyone of their powers altogether.

Just you wait. If Marvel plays their chips right and does the new age of MCU X-MEN appropriately superheroes, unique costumes and all, we may very well all be reminded of why they were so beloved in the 90's as they were and start seeing X-MEN themed junk here on the site more prominently.
I do remember but if you look at the X Men, with the exception of when they made Storm the leader or the Dark Phoenix saga.

It mostly focused on Charles, Cyclops and Wolverine. The cartoon series did. The only good X Men movie did (for me the last two with Stewart and Jackman were awful)
Damselbinder

I think that's pretty untrue. For one thing, Wolverine only came to prominence in an X-Men roster that didn't even have Cyclops in it. The X-Men have had the most spinoffs, secondary teams, alternate reality teams and subteams (solo series, etc) of any superhero property I can think of.

As for the movies, I think they were at their best when they focused on Xavier and MAGNETO, rather than Xavier and Wolverine. Poor Cyclops has been woefully underused any way you slice it.

My prediction is that the MCU version of the X-Men, if it ever happens, will take some inspiration from the modern series, with Cyclops as a very prominent, almost revolutionary figure, and Xavier as a much more morally ambiguous character. I'm not necessarily saying I WANT that, but I sense that that's how it'll be.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
I think that's pretty untrue. For one thing, Wolverine only came to prominence in an X-Men roster that didn't even have Cyclops in it. The X-Men have had the most spinoffs, secondary teams, alternate reality teams and subteams (solo series, etc) of any superhero property I can think of.

As for the movies, I think they were at their best when they focused on Xavier and MAGNETO, rather than Xavier and Wolverine. Poor Cyclops has been woefully underused any way you slice it.

My prediction is that the MCU version of the X-Men, if it ever happens, will take some inspiration from the modern series, with Cyclops as a very prominent, almost revolutionary figure, and Xavier as a much more morally ambiguous character. I'm not necessarily saying I WANT that, but I sense that that's how it'll be.
Which part do yu feel is untrue
?

When they reformed the X men in the comics: when they got rid of the originals it was everyone but Charles and Cyclops

In the first animation series, Cyclops and Wolveriene had the most focus

In the first movie it was Xavier and Wolveriene as the main characters
Damselbinder

That X-Men has mostly focused on Charles, Wolverine and Cyclops throughout its history. They're certainly the three most prominent heroes, but I wouldn't say they've had MOST of the focus. More than anyone else, sure, but that's not quite the same thing.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

TV shows DC.

Marvel owns the movies.

Video games definitely DC. I heard good things about Spiderman but The Avengers looks awful and the team that did the Arkham series are working on a Suicide Squad game and that could be amazing.
shevek
Producer
Producer

batgirl1969 wrote:
3 years ago
One chic that I am surprised doesn't get more attention is Magik....she is amazing!!!
Good news, Batgirl1969:

Illyana will appear in the New Mutants movie played by gorgeous young blonde Anya Taylor-Joy. But unfortunately I don't think
she will be wearing the classic costume..although she will be accompanied by Lockheed (who is usually associated with Kitty Pryde).
I'm not expecting too much out of that movie but we'll see....
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
3 years ago
batgirl1969 wrote:
3 years ago
One chic that I am surprised doesn't get more attention is Magik....she is amazing!!!
Good news, Batgirl1969:

Illyana will appear in the New Mutants movie played by gorgeous young blonde Anya Taylor-Joy. But unfortunately I don't think
she will be wearing the classic costume..although she will be accompanied by Lockheed (who is usually associated with Kitty Pryde).
I'm not expecting too much out of that movie but we'll see....
Would LUV to see her in her all black bondage style costume.....I have hope yet!!
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member